Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2822 Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk247g View Post

For those who see the XVT's in stock at Costco/Sams. Have you seen that they carry the wireless surround sound option speakers too? I wonder how much more they will be to add. or worth it

Sub and wireless speakers per Vizio's announcement, will not be available until Sept.....but I read a blog somewhere they may not be available until late '08 or early '09.
If I recall correctly list price will be $299.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2822 Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 PM

I picked up the 42" XVT at Sams here in Kansas City yesterday for $1078. They had 3 on the floor and more in back. Timing was pretty good as I planned on picking up the VO42L at Costco until I searched this forum and read that the XVT's might be out. I called & spoke to a Vizio rep and he said he thought Costco would have these sets in stock within a couple of weeks but told me to check Sams.
I thought that the XVT 42 looked better than most sets on display at Sams, bested only by the Sony really, who knows what settings were like on any given set though.
I haven't really had a chance to do much more that plug it in and turn it on since getting it home. The set looks great out of the box though. A little weighted on the reds but overall very nice. I'll play around with it a little more tonight.
post #183 of 2822 Old 08-19-2008, 08:45 PM

So I drove out to check one out in a neighboring city, and found the xvt to be very underwhelming when sitting next to a bunch of sony 120hz. Although they did not have the remote out so I could not play with the settings.
The image seemed washed out and the blacks looked poor...
So I ended up picking up a samsung(from sears) which was not a 120hz, but looked much better.
I wish I could have played with the settings and got to see if they messed with it.
Everyone is talking about how great they look.
I may end up swapping back out when Sears gets them on display.
Much cheaper, and 120hz is very exciting.
post #184 of 2822 Old 08-19-2008, 10:16 PM

My AOC 42" from Costco has problem. Sometimes, turn it on, no volume. Turn it off and on again, volume is ok.

I am going to return it and get the SV420XVT. I have not seen one display in LA area yet. Should I go to Sears to check it out?

I hope more members can post reviews on the 120Hz picture. This is the main reason why I pick the XVT over the VO42L.
post #185 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 06:03 AM

I would just call the Sears to verify whether or not they have it in and on display. Most stores only get 1 in the initial roll out phase, and it's entirely possible someone sold it. Or that they are still full of older tvs and have no shelf space.

Word to the wise, currently the Gallevia's are paying a 100 dollar spiff if we sell them, so be prepared to hear a pitch about that tv if you ask about the new one.
post #186 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM

Has anybody done a comparison between SV420XVT and Toshiba Regza 42RV530? I'm really torn right now. I was dead set on the Toshiba and was waiting for Costco to carry it...and they finally did last Thursday...which was also the date the XVT showed up...for $99 more i can get 120Hz....but i wasn't sure Toshiba will have better quality compared to Vizio...In general i don't buy new model and like to wait a little for them to work out the kinks...but i really want one this time....
post #187 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

However if your Vizio explodes or something after the year warranty, and you didn't get it at Costco, well have fun with that. I know Sony in particular stands behind their product, so even past 2 years out I'll have somebody I can go to for assistance. With Vizio, well, I guess they'll tell you to find the nearest repair shop or something if you go by what that Cnet post says.

GG spreading FUD.

Have you ever seen Vizio handling out of warranty support? Well, I have and while you do have to pay for the visit, they will have a local tech (outsourced, like ALL brands) come in and diagnose the problem.
post #188 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpermankc View Post

I picked up the 42" XVT at Sams here in Kansas City yesterday for $1078. They had 3 on the floor and more in back. Timing was pretty good as I planned on picking up the VO42L at Costco until I searched this forum and read that the XVT's might be out. I called & spoke to a Vizio rep and he said he thought Costco would have these sets in stock within a couple of weeks but told me to check Sams.
I thought that the XVT 42 looked better than most sets on display at Sams, bested only by the Sony really, who knows what settings were like on any given set though.
I haven't really had a chance to do much more that plug it in and turn it on since getting it home. The set looks great out of the box though. A little weighted on the reds but overall very nice. I'll play around with it a little more tonight.

Did the KC Sams have the 47" XVT???
post #189 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post

Also pics soon to come.. Lots of angles

Awesome, can't wait! If you're able, can you take some pics of the TV on (maybe with 1080p material on) and with and without flash? To avoid blurring when the flash's off, you might want to set the camera someplace sturdy and set the timer. (if you know this already, my apologies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post

watching steel magnolias on hd net ( i have a girlfriend)

sure you do...
post #190 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 PM

Here is a quick update on my two SV420XVT's after picking them up from Sears last night!

First off, they are still in the boxes waiting for me to get the mounts installed and wall plumbed for my connections.

Noticed right off how much lighter they are compared to the GV42LF I just hung in the bedroom. Specs show they are about 24 pounds lighter.

The perimeter bezel is also a lot thinner at 1 1/8 vs 2 9/16 for the Gallevia.

The owner's manual is a little more detailed and has 25 more pages detailing the additional picture and audio enhancements and refined OSD menus.

That is it so far for the TV's until I pull them from the boxes and install them.

Now for the remote. I was disappointed with the provided universal remote for these. The Gallevia's was a definite improvement over previous ones from Vizio being backlit, but lacking PIP/POP control directly. Well for the SV420XVT's they added the ability to control the PIP/POP from the remote, but the only thing that is backlit on it is the navigation ring. Seems like they went backwards. In addition, the new on looks very cheap compared to the Gallevia's and actually weighs in at 3.2 ounces, 3.1 less than the GV's.

Not a big deal for me since I use a Philips Pronto for everything anyways. If you only need a TV remote and the PIP/Pop functions are not important, I would get the VUR8 Universal that came with the Gallevia's from the Vizio store for $49.99.

Other than that, I cannot comment on anything further until they are installed. However, here are some pics of things so far.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #191 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Has anyone seen any around NYC?
post #192 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk247g View Post

Did the KC Sams have the 47" XVT???

No 47" XVTs at the Sams here yet, just the 42".

I have to say though, the more I play around with this set the more I like it. It is much more vibrant than earlier Vizio models.
post #193 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
MKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Boss View Post

Here is a quick update on my two SV420XVT’s after picking them up from Sears last night!

First off, they are still in the boxes waiting for me to get the mounts installed and wall plumbed for my connections.

Noticed right off how much lighter they are compared to the GV42LF I just hung in the bedroom. Specs show they are about 24 pounds lighter.

The perimeter bezel is also a lot thinner at 1 1/8” vs 2 9/16” for the Gallevia.

The owner’s manual is a little more detailed and has 25 more pages detailing the additional picture and audio enhancements and refined OSD menus.

That is it so far for the TV’s until I pull them from the boxes and install them.

Now for the remote. I was disappointed with the provided universal remote for these. The Gallevia’s was a definite improvement over previous ones from Vizio being backlit, but lacking PIP/POP control directly. Well for the SV420XVT’s they added the ability to control the PIP/POP from the remote, but the only thing that is backlit on it is the navigation ring. Seems like they went backwards. In addition, the new on looks very cheap compared to the Gallevia’s and actually weighs in at 3.2 ounces, 3.1 less than the GV’s.

Not a big deal for me since I use a Philips Pronto for everything anyways. If you only need a TV remote and the PIP/Pop functions are not important, I would get the VUR8 Universal that came with the Gallevia’s from the Vizio store for $49.99.

Other than that, I cannot comment on anything further until they are installed. However, here are some pics of things so far.

Thank you very much for the pictures and the review!

From that picture I agree the remote's a disappointment. I'd rather take that old vur8.

PS: Did you cut open the box? or did you bought 2 XVTs?
post #194 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 03:56 PM

The XVT has 2 of the four HDMI inputs and one component input on the side of the set which I found to be very awkward, who wants a bunch of cables sticking out of the side of their new set!? Radio Shack sells 90 degree HDMI & RCA adapters that lessen the visual impact of using the side mount inputs. I picked up a couple of these and they really make using the side inputs a lot less noticeable. They are black so they seem to blend in and have gold plated connectors.
post #195 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 PM

So, my local sears just got in the 42 xvt. So I thought I would go check it out again and play with some settings.
I will say that I was impressed. Any negative view I had of this set has diminished.
At first when I got there the set had just been placed, missing the remote just as the other one. However sears was nice enough to hook me up promptly.
I sat down and played with the settings and compared to the samsung next to it(the 120hz model).
After just a few minutes and a little tweaking, the picture was nearly identical to the Samsung 120hz!
Even the sales agent was impressed when he walked by and saw the progress. He stoped and sat beside me to check it out. Even so far as to mentioning that in some areas the Vizio out performed the samsung. Most notably in the details in shadowy areas.
The only negatives I do have. The blacks where very close actually. Impressive. The Samsung out did the vizio by a very small margin. Most wouldn't even notice.
The vizio did have a slight disadvantage when it came to interpolation. I did see some minor artifacts that looked a little odd, but the setting where very adjustable. Also the Samsung had slightly brighter whites and yellows. Of course when you get them out from under the brightly lit sears lights, this will not be a problem. Still very bright.
I was also pleased to find that the vizio had many more options for picture adjustments than the samsung. Especially when it came to motion. No more off low or high. You could actually change the strenght, and also how it modified the frames. You could go for smoothness, precision, or even cinematic feel.
I just received my samsung 46 550 model (got it at at steal at around 1,500) at home, and I will most likely swap it out for the vizio. The samsung I have does not have the 120hz, and the motion blur is horrific. My Vizio Gallevia actually handled motion better, despite the response time.
So I will most likely be taking on the vizio 47 model, as soon as my credit card clears so I can get a refund.
In the end, the Samsung 120 does slightly out perform the vizio in the slightly deeper blacks, and brighter whites(almost too bright) and has slightly fewer artifacts. But the difference is very slight, and the additional cost of the Samsung 120hz(about a thousand bucks) makes the choice obvious for me.
You will need to do some tweaking of the picture, but it's worth it.
Hope this helps you guys!
post #196 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblownmonkey View Post

So, my local sears just got in the 42 xvt. So I thought I would go check it out again and play with some settings.
I will say that I was impressed. Any negative view I had of this set has diminished.
At first when I got there the set had just been placed, missing the remote just as the other one. However sears was nice enough to hook me up promptly.
I sat down and played with the settings and compared to the samsung next to it(the 120hz model).
After just a few minutes and a little tweaking, the picture was nearly identical to the Samsung 120hz!
Even the sales agent was impressed when he walked by and saw the progress. He stoped and sat beside me to check it out. Even so far as to mentioning that in some areas the Vizio out performed the samsung. Most notably in the details in shadowy areas.
The only negatives I do have. The blacks where very close actually. Impressive. The Samsung out did the vizio by a very small margin. Most wouldn't even notice.
The vizio did have a slight disadvantage when it came to interpolation. I did see some minor artifacts that looked a little odd, but the setting where very adjustable. Also the Samsung had slightly brighter whites and yellows. Of course when you get them out from under the brightly lit sears lights, this will not be a problem. Still very bright.
I was also pleased to find that the vizio had many more options for picture adjustments than the samsung. Especially when it came to motion. No more off low or high. You could actually change the strenght, and also how it modified the frames. You could go for smoothness, precision, or even cinematic feel.
I just received my samsung 46 550 model (got it at at steal at around 1,500) at home, and I will most likely swap it out for the vizio. The samsung I have does not have the 120hz, and the motion blur is horrific. My Vizio Gallevia actually handled motion better, despite the response time.
So I will most likely be taking on the vizio 47 model, as soon as my credit card clears so I can get a refund.
In the end, the Samsung 120 does slightly out perform the vizio in the slightly deeper blacks, and brighter whites(almost too bright) and has slightly fewer artifacts. But the difference is very slight, and the additional cost of the Samsung 120hz(about a thousand bucks) makes the choice obvious for me.
You will need to do some tweaking of the picture, but it's worth it.
Hope this helps you guys!

Good read. Did you have a chance to see how well the Vizio handled motion, especially when it comes to movies? I've had a bad experience with motion blur and judder, which makes me think i should go plasma. Was looking at this Vizio to see how well it does, cause from what i hear it handles it well. I'd like to know how well the 120hz is implemented.
post #197 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Anyone know what's with the delay on the 47s?
post #198 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 05:47 PM

I bought the 42" yesterday. The Costco north of me (2 in my area) said 9 of the 47" were on order, maybe delivered today or thru end of week.

The Sam's guy said they are supposed to get them (47") but they did not get delivered when previously scheduled. So something must have happened with them.

I like my 42", probably fits my space better. The only downsides I have seen (compared to the Sceptre 37" and the Vizio 32").

Noticed some white bleed in the corners with all black screen (like when a movie starts). Turned down the backlight quite a bit and that helped.

Motion blur is bad in stock settings, turned it to high and set at precision, works great. I don't understand the settings so I may play with them more but so far so good.

Notice the static information lines on NBC (on left) and lower def stations on top. I don't know if this unit is overscanning, could not find any settings for this, or in my DISH vip722 DVR. Using HDMI connection. The only fix I know for this is to adjust picture size and/or position.

I have never run audio in 5.1, but purchased optical cable from monoprice. Some have said that the VO series did not pass 5.1 through HDMI and out the optical port. I think this one does, as the receiver indicates Dolby digital. There is also a setting in the TV to pick 5.1 or PCM.

But, when I skip forward on the DVR, I get amp popping. When I use 2 channel outputs from TV to amp, I don't get popping but there is a delay for the audio to start back up. I did not notice this on the Vizio 32", the Sceptre was returned before I had the DISH DVR, but it never did that with Media Center. I think the TV is causing the delay which is better than the audio pop when running the optical output to amp.

So to summarize, I like the picture, TV, and even though cheap is thin, light, easy to use.

The Cons (compared to others I have or do own) -
1) white bleed in corners, not major, adjustments helped.
2) static information scan lines on some channels.
3) Audio issues - amp pop in optical (DD 5.1) when using DVR skip or
audio delay when using 2 channel to ProLogic 2 mode on amp when using DVR skip.

I have to modify my mount to accept the 600 mm wide spacing (Sceptre was 420mm), then get it up on wall mount. Other than that, if it is dependable, this is definitely a good set.
post #199 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANnDFW View Post

I just checked with Costco in Plano, Tx. They don't have the new models in stock nor were they able to give me any information about them. Seems the only option here is Sears at the time being. I am not a Sam's member so I don't have any information about them there. If someone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas has any info concerning availability at Sam's I would appreciate it if they could share that.

They are in Plano/George Bush Tollway Costco now 47 XVT sitting right next to philips 47 120hz TV. The Vizio is 200 cheaper and looks 2x better. However I am a GV52LF, GV47LF, and a GV42LF owner and I just don't like the design on the XVT not having unmountable speakers or putting two hdmi on the side. Not a good move IMHO.
post #200 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Joined just to post in this thread, lol. Anyways, I picked my 47" XVT up from Sears in Lawrence, KS on Monday. I had a VW37L before this model. I have been truly impressed with the picture on the 47" so far.

Hopefully, as more people get these they will post some of their settings so I can play with the picture a little more since I'm no AV guru. Right now, I've got the TV in 'Basketball' mode to watch the Olympics. Some of the other modes make the picture nearly unwatchable (too blocky and lines appear in picture). This could be from the quick movement of some of the Olympic events.

Any questions about the 47", just let me know. I'll try to answer the best I can.
post #201 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKL View Post

Thank you very much for the pictures and the review!

From that picture I agree the remote's a disappointment. I'd rather take that old vur8.

PS: Did you cut open the box? or did you bought 2 XVTs?

I bought two of them, but I did cut open the box to get to the manual and remote. I have yet to slide them out since I am waiting for the mounts to get here from Monoprice. I've been tempted believe me, but I can hold out another day or so.
post #202 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 PM
MKL

I went to Sam's and noticed the 42". The picture is really smooth. I've seen 120Hz TVs with stutter but this one is absolutely perfect. I don't know if anyone has played with the settings though.

I also noticed there's an SRS logo on the little sticker on the frame. Can someone who bought the TV tell us if the TV speakers are better than the previous models?
post #203 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

The cost saving on a Vizio look good until you realize you probably want to own the TV longer than a year.

http://hdguru.com/your-new-disposabl...anel-hdtv/107/

I know it's late to reply to this post but this is utterly CRAP obvious he is not a VIZIO owner or he would know how customer have been treated in the past IF they needed service. More professional than Toshiba or Samsung in my own scenario. Toshiba and Samsung had a bug and they RMA'd it waiting three weeks without a set!!! Again this post just PISSES me off!!! How do rumors get started again.....
post #204 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 06:49 PM
MKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Boss View Post

I bought two of them, but I did cut open the box to get to the manual and remote. I have yet to slide them out since I am waiting for the mounts to get here from Monoprice. I've been tempted believe me, but I can hold out another day or so.

Nice! Keep us updated on your setup!

Oh, the reason I'm asking is some of my friends simply cut open the box without noticing the white plastic clips at the bottom
post #205 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwxman View Post

Any questions about the 47", just let me know. I'll try to answer the best I can.

Can you help me out with this one?
Sam's :: 42" $1078 and 47" $????
Costco :: 42" $1199 and 47" $1399
Sear's .... (well let's not worry about that)
post #206 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopd View Post

Can you help me out with this one?
Sam's :: 42" $1078 and 47" $????
Costco :: 42" $1199 and 47" $1399
Sear's .... (well let's not worry about that)

$1397 for the 47" XVT out the door at Sears.

To the poster asking about speakers; they are definitely better than the speakers on my VW37L.
post #207 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwxman View Post

$1397 for the 47" XVT out the door at Sears.

Not picking on sears at all, but I'd just prefer the costco warranty

Actually I'd prefer the TV for free if they'd give it to me, but I don't think that is going to happen.
post #208 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Actually I'd prefer the TV for free if they'd give it to me, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Well, Costco could do more for me on my dead notebook due to Nvidia bad chips. I keep trying to reach somebody by phone who can do more than just "follow the script". Can't they understand this is not a warranty issue, it is a recall issue, more than the standard response is called for in this case, and Costco is supposed to be a step above the others with these types of situations. They are not showing that at all.

Just go to Sam's upgrade your membership get 2nd yr. warranty for free. If you don't have Discover, sign up before your purchase get 2% back, no payments or interest for 6 months. You can't get a much better deal than that and all the Sam's people were extremely nice to boot. Sam's will probably have the 47" in just the same time as Costco, probably little better price, and they have tons of the 42" now.
post #209 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopd View Post

So you get one extra year of warranty? Think I rather save the money up front and have faith in the product, lol.

Then again, I saved 15% on Sears' asking price of $1499, so who am I to judge?
post #210 of 2822 Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post

I bought the 42" yesterday. The Costco north of me (2 in my area) said 9 of the 47" were on order, maybe delivered today or thru end of week.

The Sam's guy said they are supposed to get them (47") but they did not get delivered when previously scheduled. So something must have happened with them.

I like my 42", probably fits my space better. The only downsides I have seen (compared to the Sceptre 37" and the Vizio 32").

Noticed some white bleed in the corners with all black screen (like when a movie starts). Turned down the backlight quite a bit and that helped.

Motion blur is bad in stock settings, turned it to high and set at precision, works great. I don't understand the settings so I may play with them more but so far so good.

Notice the static information lines on NBC (on left) and lower def stations on top. I don't know if this unit is overscanning, could not find any settings for this, or in my DISH vip722 DVR. Using HDMI connection. The only fix I know for this is to adjust picture size and/or position.

I have never run audio in 5.1, but purchased optical cable from monoprice. Some have said that the VO series did not pass 5.1 through HDMI and out the optical port. I think this one does, as the receiver indicates Dolby digital. There is also a setting in the TV to pick 5.1 or PCM.

But, when I skip forward on the DVR, I get amp popping. When I use 2 channel outputs from TV to amp, I don't get popping but there is a delay for the audio to start back up. I did not notice this on the Vizio 32", the Sceptre was returned before I had the DISH DVR, but it never did that with Media Center. I think the TV is causing the delay which is better than the audio pop when running the optical output to amp.

So to summarize, I like the picture, TV, and even though cheap is thin, light, easy to use.

The Cons (compared to others I have or do own) -
1) white bleed in corners, not major, adjustments helped.
2) static information scan lines on some channels.
3) Audio issues - amp pop in optical (DD 5.1) when using DVR skip or
audio delay when using 2 channel to ProLogic 2 mode on amp when using DVR skip.

I have to modify my mount to accept the 600 mm wide spacing (Sceptre was 420mm), then get it up on wall mount. Other than that, if it is dependable, this is definitely a good set.

I noticed the white lines on the left too when watching NBC. I thought it was a problem with their hi def broadcast but did not see it on my other two sets. I could not correct the problem by adjusting the picture size or position. This only occurred on NBC.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page