SHARP LED-LCD, Anticipation Thread! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 603 Old 10-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A remote is a remote, end of story. who cares about a remote as long as it works who cares. You could have no remote. So be happy. And as far as the tv its self goes, its way over priced. know body is going to pay $9 grand for a 52inch hahaha. Im waiting to see mitsubishi laser tv. screw led all to hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 603 Old 10-29-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potnhd View Post

A remote is a remote, end of story. who cares about a remote as long as it works who cares. ......

uhhhh...you?

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #273 of 603 Old 10-29-2008, 07:00 PM

Well, I have personally JUST seen the 65" model, and personally while it was looping a Sharp Blu-ray Demo, the color and the black levels were definately noticeable from the Special edition Sharp. People just stared at the Sharp XS and really didn't pay too much attention to the 103" Panny on the opposite wall! We just pretended not to see the price...
post #274 of 603 Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 PM

More BigBob. More! What was the price? Where did you see it? What did you like about it?

Darrell
post #275 of 603 Old 10-29-2008, 07:24 PM

Paulson's in Farmington Hills, Michigan. As far as I know, they were the FIRST store to get it (Best Buy Magnolia in my area did not get there's yet) in my area. I went to Paulson's and they just took it out the box and plugged it into the wall and used a BD player via HDMI (they have to make space for it).

The panel depth wise was roughly 2-3 inches deep. The viewing angle was very impressive for an LCD. The colors and overall picture just had a pop to it. I'm sure the set needs to be adjusted later, but regardles you couldn't help but notice.

I'm not a Sharp guy (I used to have a 64u and sold it), but Sharp definitely stepped there game up on this one. It's about damn time!

Oh, the price? $14,999 MSRP
My camera phone (Palm Treo) is questionable so no pics. I'll go back up there this Thursday or Friday with my digital camera...
post #276 of 603 Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob77 View Post

Paulson's in Farmington Hills, Michigan. As far as I know, they were the FIRST store to get it (Best Buy Magnolia in my area did not get there's yet) in my area. I went to Paulson's and they just took it out the box and plugged it into the wall and used a BD player via HDMI (they have to make space for it).

The panel depth wise was roughly 2-3 inches deep. The viewing angle was very impressive for an LCD. The colors and overall picture just had a pop to it. I'm sure the set needs to be adjusted later, but regardles you couldn't help but notice.

I'm not a Sharp guy (I used to have a 64u and sold it), but Sharp definitely stepped there game up on this one. It's about damn time!

My camera phone (Palm Treo) is questionable so no pics. I'll go back up there this Thursday or Friday with my digital camera...

Can't wait, make sure you take picture from an angle & the side etc...
post #277 of 603 Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Big Bob:

what we really care about is Banding. Paulson's Audio & Video is a high end store, they should have Test DVD or even Test BD. The Test DVD should have a test to check for banding. Can you ask them to try it?
post #278 of 603 Old 10-30-2008, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

The original Sharp 65" was MSRP'd at over $20K and my 57" debuted at that same $14,999 and six months later Sharp dropped both MSRP 50% and I bought mine at $6500 2 years ago.

Sometimes us mere financial mortals need patience and let the upper crust pay for the R&D and then it's our turn. So, if you were to look at the street value of an SE94 today vs it's origins it's selling for less than one quarter the original that debuted 3 years ago now it's <$5K vs $20K. If only the Sony 70" were to drop as quickly - down from $33K to $20K MSRP but not LED now.

Looking forward to feedback on this and the Mits Laser which is getting many raves so far but much bitching about it's way lower $6999 MSRP - I don't think many are happy until the pricing gets below $3K on this forum.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #279 of 603 Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

The word "adjusted" is here utmostly critical. Can you specify what required adjusting to your eyes?

We are talking about ultra high-end PQ, if it can be optimised by adjusting it is fine. However, some rumors from Germany state that these last fine adjustments for the ultimate PQ can not be made so the final PQ is not beating other high-end sets.

Quote:

I'll go back up there this Thursday or Friday with my digital camera...

This will be very nice. But perhaps the store personnel could give you freedom for operating the remotse to play with adjustments to see if the PQ can be perfected?

Somebody in Germany also reported that he saw strange effect when watching the 65" picture from close (6-7 feets). It was not looking sharp, kind of hazy or maybe this was due to the screen-door effect, could be also due to the source/connector used. Only from a distance of 16-20 feets the picture felt right and fully sharp. In comparison there was no such effect on big Kuro standing nearby in the same shop.

Your opinion will be highly appreciated to dispel the rumors (or confirm problems).

irkuck
post #280 of 603 Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 AM

It's funny that it's showing up in stores already, and still no info on the Sharp USA web site
post #281 of 603 Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 PM

stop,
Yeah, this happened on the SE94 as well. It took several months before the web site caught up, as I remember. Their marketing people need to get more modern!

Darrell
post #282 of 603 Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

The original Sharp 65" was MSRP'd at over $20K and my 57" debuted at that same $14,999 and six months later Sharp dropped both MSRP 50% and I bought mine at $6500 2 years ago.

Sometimes us mere financial mortals need patience and let the upper crust pay for the R&D and then it's our turn. So, if you were to look at the street value of an SE94 today vs it's origins it's selling for less than one quarter the original that debuted 3 years ago now it's <$5K vs $20K.

Are you sure your no. is accurate? ABout 6 - 8 mth. ago, I was checking out the 94U price, and I'm certain it's about $12K. Now it could very well be $5K.
post #283 of 603 Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 PM

BigBob77, did you feel that the XS series is clearly the best HDTV out in the market including plasma right now? I'm going back and forth between this model and possibly holding out for the new NEO PDP's when they debut from Panasonic either next Spring or Fall.
post #284 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Don´t trust the first German reviews. Not professional and only from stores.
Here in German stores it´s normal, that picture signal is only SD and even with HD split on many further TV´s and the TV isn´t well calibrated.
I never saw a perfect SD and HD picture in a store. My three years old LCD-TV Samsung LE-40M51 make a better SD picture than all LCD-TV´s in such stores like "Media Markt" and "Saturn". And the new SPVA-Panels are so much better than my old Samsung.

They are often all in "Shop Modus" with dynamic contrast and bad colours and picture signals.

The XS1 is much better than these first "reviews" want make you to believe! Wait for professional reviews and calibration.

Off course, the best bang for the buck ist the A950, but even close to the X4500 and in some disciplines better, it isn´t the best LCD-TV out there. I believe that´s the XS1.

We all hope, that in spring 2009 Sharp is coming soon with cheaper versions of the techdemo XS1. Probably without RGB-LED´s and colour dimming and in a cheaper and more thickly finish. But white LED´s like in the A950 (blue small LED + red and green phosphor) are good enough for good colour calibration and it´s so much cheaper to build. The XS1 isn´t a mainstream product. It´s too early for this technology to come down in prices.
Don´t understand this TV as an ordinary TV! It´s a techdemo of what is today possible with consumer LCD-technology for a high price. For Sharp probably a technology carrier for the next 2 years.
For an ordinary consumer (J6P) the difference to the A950 aren´t high enough, but for the critical consumer it could be some subtle differences, which justify the price. Not only the picture quality, likewise design and build quality.

What we can say, 2008 it´s the end of the CCFL-LCD´s and the beginning triumphant advance of LED-LCD-TV´s over CCFL-LCD´s. Next year other brands will follow Samsung, Sony, Philips and Sharp and cheaper models will come; - LG, Toshiba and JVC. The Samsung B650-Series could be the next mark for cheaper LED-LCD´s...
post #285 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

Are you sure your no. is accurate? ABout 6 - 8 mth. ago, I was checking out the 94U price, and I'm certain it's about $12K. Now it could very well be $5K.

Happy, I have seen the 94U at less than 7K over six months ago. I'm not sure what the MSRP is on that unit now, but the street prices have gone waaaay below where that unit started.

Darrell
post #286 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellt View Post

Happy, I have seen the 94U at less than 7K over six months ago. I'm not sure what the MSRP is on that unit now, but the street prices have gone waaaay below where that unit started.

LC-65DSE94U is $5000.00.

darrell,
Based on your review for Aquos LC-65D93U, I purchased a unit and I'm happy with it (no banding issues here). But I'd like to upgrade my TV (I'm gonna sell this one) to the one which is capable of receiving 1080p/24fps.
If you ever did a review on either XS1 or Laservue from Mitsubishi, would you please post it on this website?

Thanks
post #287 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 10:38 AM

sharok,
I will be looking for the XS1 in stores around here. If I get a chance to play with one I will indeed post my thoughts. This unit sure sounds tempting, but I'll probably wait for some price erosion if I do finally move!

Darrell

Darrell
post #288 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 AM

I do not know why, but Sharp Aquos LC-65D93U is $8000.00 at Amazon.com.
93U was supposed to be cheaper than 94U since it is an older model. But it makes me feel good about my purchase since I bought it for $6500.00 and today I see that it is more expensive than the newer model.
post #289 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post

Don´t trust the first German reviews. Not professional and only from stores.
Here in German stores it´s normal, that picture signal is only SD and even with HD split on many further TV´s and the TV isn´t well calibrated.
I never saw a perfect SD and HD picture in a store. ...

Hopefully you are right but... somebody mentioned seeing Kuro and XS-1 in the same shop & conditions and Kuro looked way better. On another note,Sharp's marketing is total disaster, these guys must be techies who are committing marketing harakiri. They put such an expensive and sophisticated TV in a row with hundreds of cheapies, with bad feed, bad settings and bad lighting making people wondering if the price is a joke.

Quote:

The XS1 is much better than these first "reviews" want make you to believe! Wait for professional reviews and calibration. Off course, the best bang for the buck ist the A950, but even close to the X4500 and in some disciplines better, it isn´t the best LCD-TV out there. I believe that´s the XS1....

There are two categories here: is XS-1 really the best LCD and is it the best flat panel overall (meaning better than Kuro).

Quote:

We all hope, that in spring 2009 Sharp is coming soon with cheaper versions of the techdemo XS1. Probably without RGB-LED´s and colour dimming and in a cheaper and more thickly finish. But white LED´s like in the A950 (blue small LED + red and green phosphor) are good enough for good colour calibration and it´s so much cheaper to build. The XS1 isn´t a mainstream product. It´s too early for this technology to come down in prices.
Don´t understand this TV as an ordinary TV! It´s a techdemo of what is today possible with consumer LCD-technology for a high price. For Sharp probably a technology carrier for the next 2 years.
For an ordinary consumer (J6P) the difference to the A950 aren´t high enough, but for the critical consumer it could be some subtle differences, which justify the price. Not only the picture quality, likewise design and build quality.

You wish Sharp will make cheaper product by cutting corners. This is not the proper way for the ultimate sets. If XS-1 will prove itself as the best panel it means it has right technology for the task. One can then hope the price will go down but the technology stays.

Quote:

What we can say, 2008 it´s the end of the CCFL-LCD´s and the beginning triumphant advance of LED-LCD-TV´s over CCFL-LCD´s. Next year other brands will follow Samsung, Sony, Philips and Sharp and cheaper models will come; - LG, Toshiba and JVC. The Samsung B650-Series could be the next mark for cheaper LED-LCD´s...

That should be happening. However, some analyses were indicating the transition to LED BL will not be happening quickly due to cost reasons.
For some time LED BL with local dimming will be limited to high end sets.

irkuck
post #290 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellt View Post

sharok,
I will be looking for the XS1 in stores around here. If I get a chance to play with one I will indeed post my thoughts. This unit sure sounds tempting, but I'll probably wait for some price erosion if I do finally move!
Darrell

The point now is not buying it but possibly detailed evaluation. Hopefully detailed evaluations will come soon and will place XS-1 in the ranking order with XBR8 and A950. If it is the No.1 waiting for the prices to come done will be reasonable strategy for purists wanting the best.

irkuck
post #291 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 PM

irkuck,
I agree. But what do you think about the Laservue of Mitsubishi. It is $7000.00, wall mountable. This unit was reviewed for 12 hours and it turned out to be a nice set.
The blacks do not beat Kuro, but other colors do (specially red).
post #292 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Hopefully you are right but... somebody mentioned seeing Kuro and XS-1 in the same shop & conditions and Kuro looked way better. On another note,Sharp's marketing is total disaster, these guys must be techies who are committing marketing harakiri. They put such an expensive and sophisticated TV in a row with hundreds of cheapies, with bad feed, bad settings and bad lighting making people wondering if the price is a joke.

I would agree with the statement I bolded. Maybe we got spoiled by Sony and Samsung. But Sharp does look like clowns in several aspects. (1) The TV is already in stores, yet there is no price announced for the US. I mean any store can put extra 50% any time they want; I don't believe anything until I see official price. (2) No announcement of any kind, disfunctional web site, no display anywhere. I was searching for a Sharp showroom in NYC and I couldn't find any. I know where to go to see the latest Sony models (SonyStyle) and where to go to see the latest Samsung models (the Samsung Experience), but where do I go to see cutting-edge Sharp model? Do I have to wait until some retailer stocks it up? Anyway, can't wait to see it in person
post #293 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

irkuck,
I agree. But what do you think about the Laservue of Mitsubishi. It is $7000.00, wall mountable. This unit was reviewed for 12 hours and it turned out to be a nice set.

Isn't that NOT a flat-pannel? It's like more than 10 inches thick
post #294 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p View Post

Isn't that NOT a flat-pannel? It's like more than 10 inches thick

Yes, it is 10" thick, but it is still wall mountable (it has its own special mount). I'd like it to be thinner, but if it turns out to be the best out there (after it's been reviewd by the consumer) for performance and price, I personally can live with it as long as I can mount it.
post #295 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

On another note,Sharp's marketing is total disaster, these guys must be techies who are committing marketing harakiri. .

When I was waiting on the new 62U 3 years ago, I would e-mail Sharp on a weekly basis checking if it was here yet, they always said no, then I seen it in a BB in Irving TX. Checked with them the same day and Sharp USA apparently didn't even know it was in stores. Not the most connected group of people, but this is a common trait among Japanese companies that are used to doing things the Japanese way, no communication.

Quote:

They put such an expensive and sophisticated TV in a row with hundreds of cheapies, with bad feed, bad settings and bad lighting making people wondering if the price is a joke..

Again no or poor coordination from Sharp USA, and the store that put it there.

Quote:

.....some analyses were indicating the transition to LED BL will not be happening quickly due to cost reasons.
For some time LED BL with local dimming will be limited to high end sets.

I hope you re wrong on this. In the last issue of the SID Journal, there were more ads for LED backlighting products than I have ever seen before. RGB is the way to go, and this looks like probably a good implementation of it.

Cutting corners and using white LED, RGB Phosphors, and other systems that can't take advantage of color dimming will be instantly obsolete if this set lives up to the hype.
post #296 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

irkuck,

Is it really Rear Projection panel? Because the thickness is 10 whoppy inch vs. Sharp's 19 mm. And since the wattage is only 135W, make me think it's only rear projecter, as my 30" samsung computer LCD is already 165W, so I can't see how a 65" only uses 135W.

I read the definition of Laser TV, but still not clear if the technology is somehow nothing but rear projection tv.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_tv
post #297 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 PM

BigBob:

How much heat is coming off the Sharp Xs1? Is there any? If yes, how hot is it?
post #298 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:

We all hope, that in spring 2009 Sharp is coming soon with cheaper versions of the techdemo XS1. Probably without RGB-LED´s and colour dimming and in a cheaper and more thickly finish. But white LED´s like in the A950 (blue small LED + red and green phosphor) are good enough for good colour calibration and it´s so much cheaper to build. The XS1 isn´t a mainstream product. .

in the old days, didn't the 94U come out first, then the 64U?

But compares the 2, I rather go w/ the 94U. So a newer, cut corner trim down model is not what I want.
post #299 of 603 Old 10-31-2008, 08:33 PM

Isn't Kuro only 60"? If so, we can't compare apples to oranges.
post #300 of 603 Old 11-01-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

Isn't Kuro only 60"? If so, we can't compare apples to oranges.

there is only a 5" of difference between the two. Why cant we compare the two?
Laservue from Mitsubishi (65") was compared to Kuro (60") and here is the website:

http://gizmodo.com/5065464/mitsubish...+end-throwdown

So we CAN compare 60" to 65".
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page