Originally Posted by irkuck
Wow, you have to be congratulated for your bold decision. Hmm, wonder if there was some additional attraction in the actual price
. Surely the XS-1 must be overall a very good display, the question is how good in all kind of circumstances and how it compares with the current very best. The stated production numbers for the 65" XS-1 are 1000/month, manufacturing is probably just ramping up.
Somehow, I posted my reply to this without being logged in and it didn't make it through.
Anyway, I was supposed to be buying a Panasonic TH-65PZ800, but the shop had been informed by Panasonic Netherlands that further supplies weren't expected until February 2009. The shop called to tell me this and then mentioned the XS1 as an alternative. When I heard the price, I lost all interest.
That evening, I came on here and read the anticipation thread. With my interest suitably piqued, I went down to the shop the next morning for a look at an XS1 in the flesh.
I was very impressed, but I didn't commit to purchasing one on the spot. There's no way I could make a decision like that without first consulting my wife. Well, I could, but you can probably imagine the consequences.
My wife and I discussed the matter over lunch and decided to take the plunge. I'm not looking forward to seeing the price of the XS1 drop drastically over the next twelve months, but I realise that's inevitable.
The shop rang me Friday afternoon to tell me that Sharp Netherlands expects to receive an XS1 early next week. Apparently, the customer of another shop has cancelled his order and the two others in line for an XS1 have stated they don't want/need their set until the end of the year. Evidently, that puts me at the head of the queue.
With a bit of luck, I'll have my XS1 before the end of next week, but I'm not holding my breath, as I don't want to be disappointed.