SHARP LED-LCD, Anticipation Thread! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 603 Old 09-08-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IIRC, the MSRP of the 65" series 94 set was 9999US$ when introduced (was that 2007?). So, if the new LC-65XS1 comes out at a MSRP of 9999US$ that would be very cool. The new XS set looks fantastic. It's the first silver set I've actually liked. I think the Pioneer speaker may make a good center channel unit. The really cool part is that this comes out next month. I much prefer short annoucement times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 603 Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Liked: 11
if Sony 55" xbr8 IS $6999, THEN SHARP $10000+ IS TOTALLY POSSIBLE!
post #93 of 603 Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

IIRC, the MSRP of the 65" series 94 set was 9999US$ when introduced (was that 2007?). So, if the new LC-65XS1 comes out at a MSRP of 9999US$ that would be very cool. The new XS set looks fantastic. It's the first silver set I've actually liked. I think the Pioneer speaker may make a good center channel unit. The really cool part is that this comes out next month. I much prefer short annoucement times.

Reality indicates 65" will cut nicely into 5-digits, unfortunately. Now, for this kind of bux one would expect pretty prefect PQ and the concern here in present LED LCD sets is about black levels when viewing off-angle. Perfect black levels and colors in frontal view enhance any differences when viewing off-angle. You can look at the px of two XS-1 sets from IFA Berlin illustrating this problem. What you see is that intensity of light from front panel is lower than from back panel. This is because viewing angle of front panel is bigger than back panel. If this issue is visually serious one then the panels are hard sell for 5-digits.

irkuck
post #94 of 603 Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

You're assuming that the banding is caused by the backlight. It's not... Therefore changing the backlight to RGB LED local area dimming won't solve it.

You would be 100% correct too. I seem to have been "checked out" when I made my comment. Of all the theories on how the banding was being introducing during manufacturing (photo lithography, spin coating, ect.) I'm not sure one ever emerged as the favorite and likely explanation. I gave up thinking about it after setting for an "in-between" set while the technology continued to work itself out.
post #95 of 603 Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Reality indicates 65" will cut nicely into 5-digits, unfortunately. Now, for this kind of bux one would expect pretty prefect PQ and the concern here in present LED LCD sets is about black levels when viewing off-angle. Perfect black levels and colors in frontal view enhance any differences when viewing off-angle. You can look at the px of two XS-1 sets from IFA Berlin illustrating this problem. What you see is that intensity of light from front panel is lower than from back panel. This is because viewing angle of front panel is bigger than back panel. If this issue is visually serious one then the panels are hard sell for 5-digits.

I don't get your point IRKUCK. Considering the friggin lighting in the room, which is extremely high I see excellent PQ and blacks on my LCD monitor - high degree of overhead lighting is what is replicating the effect you may be observing IMO - look at the stand on how strong the shadow is on the floor or even the media descriptive panel is totally washed out by the overhead lighting.

If you placed a Kuro in that high lighting it would be dim as hell and it's blacks would not be truly black.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #96 of 603 Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well there's definately some gamma issues with the displays in that photo (I'm using a somewhat calibrated CRT), but that could as easily be explained by the limitations of photography as any other reason.

It is a LCD, of course, so no one is expecting it to be totally perfect in off-axis, even with Sharp's apparently illustrious pricing policy.
post #97 of 603 Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I don't get your point IRKUCK. Considering the friggin lighting in the room, which is extremely high I see excellent PQ and blacks on my LCD monitor - high degree of overhead lighting is what is replicating the effect you may be observing IMO - look at the stand on how strong the shadow is on the floor or even the media descriptive panel is totally washed out by the overhead lighting.

Do not take this literally WESTA6969. The px just happens to illustrate the potential effect of the viewing angle. There is no claim that what you see in the px is really made by the viewing angle, it could be due to the camera/ambient light.

irkuck
post #98 of 603 Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I find it very curious that the new Sharp XS set is not highly anticipated with lots of speculative discussion, etc. The Sony Bravia 2008 anticipation thread was very busy. This one, not so much. Very curious. Has the banding issue driven so many away from Sharp that we don't even speculate about the brand anymore?
post #99 of 603 Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I find it very curious that the new Sharp XS set is not highly anticipated with lots of speculative discussion, etc. The Sony Bravia 2008 anticipation thread was very busy. This one, not so much. Very curious. Has the banding issue driven so many away from Sharp that we don't even speculate about the brand anymore?

Yes it has and I would guess were it not for the SE94 being a sticky it would fade away into oblivion. Sharp has no one to blame but themselves - the Sharp threads were busy as hell a few years back but when you go through four successive model lines in two years with the incessant banding and horror stories of 5 or 6 panel returns - interest gets lost unless they can turn the tide when you can get a kick ass Samsung 650 and up without next to no issues and amazing owner feedback why even bother?

Size and the addition of LED RGB keeps my interests at 65" size provided they can retail at reality levels within perhaps $2K of the SE94 65". Hard to be a Sharp loyalist after the flood of sh-t stories the past two years on this forum and having eaten alot of crow trying to defend that the next gen will be fixed. ANticipation abounds that perhaps the next model line can be born again crystal clear and without banding as they were in bygone days of the D90 when AQUOS meant something positive and they were the market leader in LCD. Samsung and others have opened a can of whoop ass and is beaten the pants off of Sharp IMO stealing the market share they sacrificed with the banding legacy and they put it there --- no one else to blame in the end.

post #100 of 603 Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Hi,

I mainly agree with the previous comments regarding renewed interest in Sharp - most other brands have showed products that will soon be available in the market across price bands, ranges and sizes - All Sharp have shown is the XS which for most cannot be a viable option either due to size or cost - it's kind of like Bentley or Aston Martin announcing a new car - no matter what it is, most do not bother with it as they will never entertain buying it!

Bazzy!
post #101 of 603 Old 09-16-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I think a lot of us have been scared off by the prices that have been banded about so far. If the prices are more realistic and competitive then it'll be a far more interesting proposition. Few will pay twice as much money for a 52" Sharp than they would for a 55" Samsung.
post #102 of 603 Old 09-16-2008, 02:16 PM

My opinion on Sharp LCD's is wait in see the verdict if there's no banding then it's come's down to price and quality. To me Sony has the best picture quality I have ever seen I recently saw a 46inch z series at circut city and I kid you not this tv looked better then every TV they had there Including samsung's 750 so to me Sony is on top as far as quality goes next comes Samsung and next Toshiba. Sharp has there work cut out for them if they ever want to catch Sony,Samsung,or Toshib.
post #103 of 603 Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

To be honest, Sony/Samsung have come out with a billion TVs in the past couple
years, while Sharp hasn't really done much improvement PQ-wise. I'm hoping
that they've spent the past 2 years perfecting things and getting ready to really
blow back into the market. You can't sit for 2 years with subtle or cosmetic
change. There has to be something big on the horizon... and perhas the XS1
is just the beginning... no?? They're almost on the level of... UGH LG... right now.
post #104 of 603 Old 09-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Just scan down all the titles of all the threads on the first page. You see Sony, Samsung, Sony, Samsung, Sony, Samsung, Sony, Samsung. With maybe a few other brands peppered in between.

Everyone is tired of Sharp. They used to rule the LCD market, but because of banding nobody has any interest in them anymore. Every time a "new" model comes out, and everyone hopes for the "banding problem to be solved", they are just disapointed with another banded model. Same old, same old.

I used to have three Sharps. Now I'm down to one. To bad I can't get rid of that last one, or I'd dump it as well.

I defended Sharp for years, but I finally ran out of gas with disapointment after disapointment.

If it wasn't for the pinned thread, Sharp would be burried four or five pages deep on the thread list to even find a thread. Not much anticipation here anymore.

I hate to say it, but if I had a choice between a new Sharp and a new Vizio, I think I'd pick the Vizio. Sharp is starting to become the next "budget" model that you would buy when you can't affort a decent LCD.
post #105 of 603 Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 PM

another thing have to say is :

not like few years ago, Sharp is the only and Major player in LCD Market

but now people only know Samsung because of cell and Sony because of strong TV Brand.
post #106 of 603 Old 09-18-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

With news coming that Sony 70" will be priced at 20k$, Sharp 65" XS-1 can be easily 15 k$. These sets are positioned at prestige high-end where the price is deliberately made high to make them like rare jewels.

irkuck
post #107 of 603 Old 09-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Big LCDs hanging on a wall used to be prestegous. That's why Sharp got away with selling the original 65" for 20k. Now LCDs hanging on the wall aren't prestegous, many people have them. It is unlikely the Sharp will sell well. Maybe the Sony might, because some people will buy a Sony just because "its a Sony". But Sharp doesn't have that kind of image. People aren't impressed with the Sharp brand anymore.
post #108 of 603 Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM

that's true, but Sharp want to keep this premier brand image.
post #109 of 603 Old 09-18-2008, 07:01 PM

One more thing Sharp needs to do is shut down that new plant they'er building before they go bankrupt I really dont see Sharp making it much longer then 3 years tops if they dont fix the banding issue. sharp is at the bottom as far as im concerned I take a insigna over a Sharp LCD and thats said but o well so was banding the first time you noticed it right?
post #110 of 603 Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potnhd View Post

One more thing Sharp needs to do is shut down that new plant they'er building before they go bankrupt I really dont see Sharp making it much longer then 3 years tops if they dont fix the banding issue. sharp is at the bottom as far as im concerned I take a insigna over a Sharp LCD and thats said but o well so was banding the first time you noticed it right?

Sorry to say, but even with banding (most of the cases seem mild, even my d92
from last year) Sharps still look a lot better than a lot of LCDs. I must admit
the higher end LCDs look much better (compared to the sharps currently on the
market), but a lot of the stuff in the same price range doesn't look as good as
a Sharp (even with light banding) to my eyes. Most of the time, the banding is
bearable while watching movies, TV, and sports. I'd take a banding sharp over
an insignia any day.

Incidentally, I hope Sharp works on their off-angle viewing and the colours need
a bit more pop as well if Sharp wants to compare with the new sets.
post #111 of 603 Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potnhd View Post

One more thing Sharp needs to do is shut down that new plant they'er building before they go bankrupt I really dont see Sharp making it much longer then 3 years tops if they dont fix the banding issue.

Sharp actually make good money off their LCD business even with the banding issue, so they can afford to open the new factory. An increasing part of their business comes from solar panels which are made in the same factory, so even if their LCD business suddenly took a dive they could always re-purpose the half of the factory dedicated to LCDs.
post #112 of 603 Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm looking to purchase a bigger LCD to replace my LC32GA5U. This Sharp LED looks promising. Also looking at the Phillips Lux LED; hopefully it's available in 50" + sizes. The new 55" Samsungs would interest me if available in non-glossy. My parents have the 52" glossy and it has a good picture but I don't like the reflections. I don't like Sony products much so not really looking at them. I wonder if Mitsubishi has anything new coming.
post #113 of 603 Old 09-23-2008, 08:55 PM

I think the XS1's will be around 11 and 15k.
post #114 of 603 Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 AM

Don't think it has already been posted, but UK pricing is said to be around £8k for the 52" and £11k for the 65...
post #115 of 603 Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 AM

More info here
post #116 of 603 Old 09-24-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

There is no light grating on the back of a LCD panel pertaining to the CCFL backlight.

He may be referring to the various diffusive films, BEF, DBEF etc that sit between the backlight and the LCD. It would take a real trick, though, to have those cause banding.
post #117 of 603 Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi
Some of peoples wondering the new-line Sharp!!
When I'v check thru European sources(UK) that
initial prices are as follows;

-52" £ 8.000,-
-65" £ 11.000,-

as it seems that pricey/extr.pricey

But I assume that in US,you will find less/might be more
less
Just sit and wait for the new Sharp+

Bye+

Tosh 46SV685&Tosh 42WL863

Panasonic BluRay BDT320EG&Toshiba BluRay BDX5400

post #118 of 603 Old 09-24-2008, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
1) what's the difference btwn. LED vs. RGB LED?

2) What really is the benefit of super thin? See my computer LCD is just over 1.2 in or so, and in 2 separate occasion, I accidentally hit it w/ my phone. If the damn thing is too thin, you accidentally hit it, it'll crack

3) The manual doesn't say the normal operating consumption in Watt. I know the old one uses LC-65SE94U uses 525W.

Also, the old one LC-65SE94U has a very disappointing PC resolution of 1600x1200 for those who play PC game on the 65".
post #119 of 603 Old 09-24-2008, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

1) what's the difference btwn. LED vs. RGB LED?

LED uses White Light to get it's color while RGB = Red/Green/Blue Primaries, Advantage usually goes to RGB from the research I've seen but the cost factor initially should be higher.

Quote:
2) What really is the benefit of super thin? See my computer LCD is just over 1.2 in or so, and in 2 separate occasion, I accidentally hit it w/ my phone. If the damn thing is too thin, you accidentally hit it, it'll crack

Have you ever had a large LCD? They are friggin heavy - mine at 57" is 164 lbs of bulk and is much more difficult to move as it's all in a 5" deep vertical pkg and I even had to remove my Glass Top and have a Lexan custom top cut to hold it on my Bello Stand and the SE94 65" is about 40lbs lighter. Cracking should only be a concern if moved horizontal or if brats are throwing crap in the room but that's a parental issue - the brats belong in a woodshed. I've not seen any reports of thin form factors cracking to date from Toshiba, MIts, or Sharp outside people throwing a wii controller accidentally and even that's rare. Don't be a worry wart. I own four LCD TV's in my home and 400 LCD monitors and never had a single one crack.

Quote:
3) The manual doesn't say the normal operating consumption in Watt. I know the old one uses LC-65SE94U uses 525W.

Damn, More Worry - sheesh - it doesn't mean the damn panel is always using that and LED is obviously run about half that I would guess and think of it as 65" of glorious WoW PQ and your viewing 65" bulb burning (of course LED's aren't bulbs). I have no issues with my 57" and in the winter it heats my room. If you don't have the money to pay for the energy then don't buy a 65". LED should be far less of an energy hog though.

LED Magazine"Energy Star team hopeful for key LED test procedure 22 Sep 2008 It is hoped that LM-80, a key test procedure for solid-state lighting, will be finalized in time for the effective date of the DOE's Energy Star for SSL criteria. LM-80, a crucial standard for solid-state lighting that relates to lifetime and lumen depreciation, is nearing completion." The Standards for LED are in process for Energy Star Ratings - but historically LED has been an energy saving model.

Quote:
Also, the old one LC-65SE94U has a very disappointing PC resolution of 1600x1200 for those who play PC game on the 65".

What you get depends on the video card and the friggin TV does 1:1 in Dot Mode. Most PC's and their monitor are set for 16:10 which is changing but much of what you get depends on the quality of the video card and software on the PC.

You make a good case of worry that doesn't mean Jack to a HT enthusiast but they are good excuses to justify as reasons not to buy. Price and banding history the past two years at this point are my only concerns.

post #120 of 603 Old 09-24-2008, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The old LC-65SE94U manual said 16x12. My video card can do a lot more.

Also, there are a lot of stand. I wish there is a web link on the measurement of those stand as well as how high or low can those stand be adjusted

1) what do they mean by "Solar powered LCD"? (see top of the following photo)

http://www.marcush.de/wp-content/upl...80829_0095.jpg

2) The old 94U panel were made in Japan. Did any1 who took those picture go to the back of the LCD and check what country make it and how long the warranty is? (By comparison, I think the Samsung series 9 is 18 mth. warranty)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page