SHARP LED-LCD, Anticipation Thread! - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That is not a backlight with color dimming but simply the original panel out of focus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtms View Post

That is not a backlight with color dimming but simply the original panel out of focus.

The picture description said "Image only of backlight system". I have also seen slides form Sharp that indicate true color dimming.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellt View Post

After patiently waiting for the banding fiasco to get under control and then to see the specs on this 65xs1 I am pumped.

Speaking of banding fiasco, in the last round of those old 65" LCD from Sharp, such as the 94U, among others, does every single 1 of them has banding issue?

If not, what is the portion of last generation Sharp LCD that has banding issue?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:07 AM

I don't know about the actual portion, but not all of their sets have banding issues.

I've seen some of their sets with serious banding issues, just as much as I've seen some that were band free.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

The problem is not building something but mass producing at consumer accepted price. Samsung/Sony factory can not make bigger than 55", their lines handle glass of the size accommodating two columns of 52". It is only that they figured margins can be reduced so that the 55" displays fit into this glass.

One can bet they do not make 65" because of incovenience in direct competition with Sharp who can produce bigger volumes of 65".

So they try to outsmart Sharp by moving into 70" but it is unit, not mass produced.

Samsung plans to have next gen factory mass producing sizes in the 70" range in 2010-11 time frame.

Sharp is building a Fab for Gen 10 glass now. It will be in production probably early to mid next year. I am not sure as to the exact size of Gen 10 glass, but I think it is around 3 meters square. Sharp has bypassed the generation 9 size. There will be very few of these producers who can afford to build or run something this size.

With the industry going toward ever larger screens most of the large glass will not be going for 65, 70 or even larger sizes but for more effecient production of 40-46", which is where the sales peak for the next few years predicted to be.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpbandaid View Post

XBR3 isn't a led local dimming lcd at all. XBR8 is a 2D dimming LED lcd, but has no control over LED color components(zones will emit white light).

XR1(XBR8):

Sharp XS takes this even further and its backlight can act as a full color low resolution display.

500 zones?

OK....now THAT is impressive!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

Sharp is building a Fab for Gen 10 glass now. It will be in production probably early to mid next year. I am not sure as to the exact size of Gen 10 glass, but I think it is around 3 meters square. Sharp has bypassed the generation 9 size. There will be very few of these producers who can afford to build or run something this size.
With the industry going toward ever larger screens most of the large glass will not be going for 65, 70 or even larger sizes but for more effecient production of 40-46", which is where the sales peak for the next few years predicted to be.

The exact glass size for Sharp Gen 10 is 3050 mm x 2850 mm, close to 9 meters square. You are right that most production will be with sets below 50" but they will have possibility to mass produce bigger sizes too. From the glass size one can see that 65" displays can be stamped in two columns filling the sheet fully, that means mass production.

It seems that the only challenge to Sharp in the big glass area will be Samsung but their factory will be ready 1.5 ys later.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

OK....now THAT is impressive!!!

25*20 is impressive but the fact that they dim the 3 color zones separately is more than I though they would do. ("can act as a full color low resolution display")
Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellt View Post

I must be crazy, but I really am looking forward to this 65" of fabulous picture (well, hope springs eternal among us sharpophiles). After patiently waiting for the banding fiasco to get under control and then to see the specs on this 65xs1 I am pumped. Shouldn't there be more news on this guy by now? Shouldn't some select stores be getting them soon? I want to see this thing in action. LED, local dimming, low power, lighter weight, separate media box, matte screen, ..., how can you go wrong? Oh, oh, I said that last time, I better wait and see the grey screen!

It's fabulous the price does not have to pump you at all. On the japanese site Sharp says official release date is Oct. 15, other sites just say release is in October. Hopefully you will become happy owner and official PQ reporter for this forum.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Seems like Sharp will have the most complete consumer LED LCD on the market by far.

Actual image:

backlight:

That is a beautiful picture. These are coming this week? I should have asked at the stand alone Magnolia Store today. I made a return on a 60inch Plasma that didn't work out for me. After having the 60 in my house for a few days I don't think I could move back to the 55 Samsung or Sony.

I did have the 55 Samsung in my house for a few days as well and it was DOA so I never got to try it.

65 is around 20% larger than a 60? Is that correct?

I hope some here will have this set soon? For me to even think about the 65 would be in February to March so there should be some good info out my then.

It is a great looking design as well besides the overall dimensions.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Rick
Old 10-14-2008, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems like Sharp will have the most complete consumer LED LCD on the market by far.

Actual image:

backlight:

Color dimming.

I see banding.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:46 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The exact glass size for Sharp Gen 10 is 3050 mm x 2850 mm, close to 9 meters square. You are right that most production will be with sets below 50" but they will have possibility to mass produce bigger sizes too. From the glass size one can see that 65" displays can be stamped in two columns filling the sheet fully, that means mass production.

It seems that the only challenge to Sharp in the big glass area will be Samsung but their factory will be ready 1.5 ys later.

Thanks for the size reference, all of the gen size info is hard to remember.

I had heard from my Japanese coworkers that Samsung was going to be gen 9 size glass.

You think that this will make Sharps 65" panels cheaper in the long run? Despite the ability to make them more efficently, I see the 65 as the flagship of Sharp consumer line so to speak. In the future I really don't see the cost reductions like we have seen over the past several years, even with the drop in overall electronics sales over the past several months.

LED lighting may get them in to look, not sure that many people will buy yet.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

I see banding.

Is this like "I see dead people"?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

Thanks for the size reference, all of the gen size info is hard to remember.I had heard from my Japanese coworkers that Samsung was going to be gen 9 size glass.
You think that this will make Sharps 65" panels cheaper in the long run? Despite the ability to make them more efficently, I see the 65 as the flagship of Sharp consumer line so to speak. In the future I really don't see the cost reductions like we have seen over the past several years, even with the drop in overall electronics sales over the past several months.
LED lighting may get them in to look, not sure that many people will buy yet.

With the new glass sheets, they will be able to stamp six 65" displays at a time. That will be massive capacity, prices should then go down. But this will be for standard sets with traditional backlight

The XS-1 series is very special, it is not only LED but thin, with LEDs on side,
lightguides and so on. Manufacturing requires most probably lots of manual work and tuning. That is not going to be cheap.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETA1 View Post

These are coming this week?

According to the Global XS wesbite:

http://www.xs-aquos.com

Yes.

There is also a countdown timer for simultaneous global release

Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

I see banding.

Your eyes are wrong.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't recall anybody pointed to a report from recent exhibition in Japan, see some stunning pictures of XS-1 in the gallery.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Does this TV (Sharp LC-65XS1E) accept 1080p/24fps?
Is it true 120Hz?
I have an LC-65D93U and it only accepts 60Hz and THEN it doubles the frames.
I hope this one can receive 1080/24.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Sharp sets are now listed as products for sale in Germany and their MSRP prices are:

LC-65 XS1E - 12 000

LC-52 XS1E - 9 000

That makes any other sets a huge bargain. But with planned production quotas of 1500 and 1000 per month street prices should go down fast, no way of selling this many at these levels.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Sharp sets are now listed as products for sale in Germany and their MSRP prices are:

LC-65 XS1E - 12 000

LC-52 XS1E - 9 000

That makes any other sets a huge bargain. But with planned production quotas of 1500 and 1000 per month street prices should go down fast, no way of selling this many at these levels.

Jesus, how much is that when converting the euro to dollars?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Jesus, how much is that when converting the euro to dollars?

12 000 Euro is probably like 16k+ USD
9 000 Euro is probably around 12+k USD

O_O That makes an XBR8 look like a bargain price compared to those!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 12
is it available for sale right now? I want 1 this christmas.

Anyhoo, where's the review, I need to read about if there is any banding

also in this photo, at the top right corner, there is 2 dots that seems to be in a shade of yellow, is it banding?

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...RP_XS1_009.jpg
Old 10-17-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

12 000 Euro is probably like 16k+ USD
9 000 Euro is probably around 12+k USD

O_O That makes an XBR8 look like a bargain price compared to those!

Here are the exact currency exchange numbers as of Oct 17, 2008

12,000 EUR = 16,103.0596 USD

9,000 EUR = 12,077.2947 USD

GTFO
Old 10-17-2008, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

is it available for sale right now? I want 1 this christmas.

That should not be a problem, they should be available in November/December. You opt for 65 incher, obviously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

Anyhoo, where's the review, I need to read about if there is any banding
also in this photo, at the top right corner, there is 2 dots that seems to be in a shade of yellow, is it banding?

Rather unlikely there will be any banding, and this is no banding. No review yet, they sets are probably being unloaded from ships.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

Here are the exact currency exchange numbers as of Oct 17, 2008

12,000 EUR = 16,103.0596 USD

9,000 EUR = 12,077.2947 USD

GTFO

Direct currency conversion between EUR and USD is misleading... Take the LN-55A950 (956 in DE), the msrp comparison is 4400 EUR to 4200/5000 USD. So, while the XS will still be expensive, its likely to sell for about the same USD as EUR...
Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Speculating:

Historically Sharp MSRP to Street have never followed currency conversion rates between Asia MSRP and US Dollar. Panasonic doesn't either.

Actual pricing the past 4 years has rarely mirrored the simplistic formula of currency conversion as other factors weigh in the process.

Many panels and components are sent to Mexico for final assembly and N. America distribution and wages are one seventh that of US and Japan and Euro models often use an Eastern Block assembly system with similar low wage scales.

Rarely has it simply been a matter of currency conversion which fluctuates daily.

Asia Trade Journals have noted obvious economic conditions and many called for 15% production cuts in LCD's to prevent excess supply during the Holidays but with even that cut and the current global economy may equal good news for the pricing of the panel after it's initial 30 day distribution when most street reality kicks in.

MSRP of the SE94 65" has recently been lowered to $6999 and selling way below that. IMO Sharp has some big hills to climb to overcome the past two years of banding BS that has becomes it's rep worldwide and hopefully the LED resolves that and brings it to market at $9999 MSRP.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
Old 10-18-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post

Direct currency conversion between EUR and USD is misleading... Take the LN-55A950 (956 in DE), the msrp comparison is 4400 EUR to 4200/5000 USD. So, while the XS will still be expensive, its likely to sell for about the same USD as EUR...

Part of the problem is VAT (Value Added Tax) in EUrope, which is around 20%. Take the 20% off the MSRP and you get somewhat closer to the /$ conversion. BTW, webshop price of Samsung 55" is now around 3 000 .

One should expect street price of the Sharp XS-1 sets moving into the 4-digit range for the 65", and closer to the Sony 55" price for the 52". Then, assuming these are the first sets with ultimate PQ, they may find buyers among high-end videophiles. While Sony and Samsung LED sets are very fine and current top LCDs, they are not reaching ultimate PQ due to the problems with viewing angle and blooming.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:

XBR3 isn't a led local dimming lcd at all. XBR8 is a 2D dimming LED lcd, but has no control over LED color components(zones will emit white light).

For shizzle? Are you 100% sure about this? If so then that is very disappointing. I thought being able to dim LED color components was the whole point behind TRILUMINOS that SONY is so proud of. What a disappointment, just goes to show you no matter how much money throw at something there is always something better that can be had with an even more obscene price tag.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Kamikaze=- View Post

For shizzle? Are you 100% sure about this? If so then that is very disappointing. I thought being able to dim LED color components was the whole point behind TRILUMINOS that SONY is so proud of. What a disappointment, just goes to show you no matter how much money throw at something there is always something better that can be had with an even more obscene price tag.

I think it has been confirmed a long time ago that the XBR8 has RGB LEDs & not white LEDs.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

I think it has been confirmed a long time ago that the XBR8 has RGB LEDs & not white LEDs.

Ehrm, what are you talking about? We are talking about wither XBR8 can control and dim each individual colored LED, not wither it has RGB LEDs, which we all know it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement