Remote control sensor went out on my Sharp Aquos LC32D44U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had it about 5 months. It was working fine, but now it's not picking up on the remote control. I thought my universal remote had just lost the codes, so I reprogrammed, and nothing. So I busted out the remote that came with the television and that doesn't work either.

I switched out the batteries and still no luck, which leads me to the conclusion that the remote sensor has given out, which really irks me.

Anyone encountered this problem before? It costs a fortune to ship it to Sharp, and it might be cheaper to just take it to a local repair shop.

It's very frustrating. Anyone experienced anything similar or can you offer some advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Should be under warranty. Call Sharp and have them come out.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

What a pain in the butt Sharp is to deal with.

I call and get a case number and they say they're going to send someone out to fix it but that the dispatch dept. is closed for the day (I called on my lunch break at 12:00pm) so they tell me to call the next day and ask to speak to dispatch. The next day I call and speak to dispatch and they call the guy in my area, but they say he doesn't answer the phone and that they left him a message to call me and they tell me to expect a call in 24 hrs. I wait two days and nothing, so today I call them again and try to get a dispatch and the guy on the phone says their computers just went down so there is nothing they can do for me and tell me he'll call me back tomorrow.

We'll see.
post #4 of 22 Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update.

Sharp came out and replaced the remote control sensor on the set and it works fine now.

The cause? A blacklight I had hanging above the tv. Who would have thought a black light could have knocked out the remote control sensor?
post #5 of 22 Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHo View Post

I've had it about 5 months. It was working fine, but now it's not picking up on the remote control. I thought my universal remote had just lost the codes, so I reprogrammed, and nothing. So I busted out the remote that came with the television and that doesn't work either.

I switched out the batteries and still no luck, which leads me to the conclusion that the remote sensor has given out, which really irks me.

Anyone encountered this problem before? It costs a fortune to ship it to Sharp, and it might be cheaper to just take it to a local repair shop.

It's very frustrating. Anyone experienced anything similar or can you offer some advice?

Yes I have experienced the same thing with my Sharp Aquos 37"...did not have as much luck as you though because my remote sensor went out after a week out of the box. I thought it was a bad remote at first so I bought a universal remote (sony) and it did not work so I returned it to buy yet another universal remote and it didn't work either which lead me to your posting as I googled "Sharp Aquos Remote Sensor"
post #6 of 22 Old 03-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To revive a dead thread. Had the same thing happen to my TV. Called Sharp Tech Support and here's what they told me to do (I was surprised this worked):

1) Unplug TV, remove batteries from Remote
2) Cover IR sensor in bottom right left of Power indicator. I used a post-it.
3) Plug TV back in and turn on using the buttons. Check to make sure the buttons work.
4) Put remote batteries back in while mashing on buttons.
5) Uncover IR sensor.
6) Try remote.

It worked. I'm sure step 1,2,3, and 5 are the key.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-19-2011, 01:55 PM

Sharp tvs are trash.. their touch sensitive buttons are trash.. i have to use a remote everyday to turn it on ...you can press the power button all day and it wont turn on

....if every customer would visit AVS my job would be soo much easier :)

Magnolia Pro!
post #8 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 06:25 PM

Damn it

Perfect I have some model with same symtom, following instruction perfectly works.

Quote:

To revive a dead thread. Had the same thing happen to my TV. Called Sharp Tech Support and here's what they told me to do (I was surprised this worked):

3) Plug TV back in and turn on using the buttons. Check to make sure the buttons work.
5) Uncover IR sensor.
6) Try remote.

post #9 of 22 Old 08-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Wow!! Thanks for the help from this forum. I did those 6 steps and it worked! Was having the same problem!
post #10 of 22 Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM

what is meant by "mashing on buttons" in step 4? Thanks.
post #11 of 22 Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM

I must say I was seriously skeptical that this would work, but I tried it on my 1yr. old 60 inch led-lcd that had all off a sudden developed a problem with receiving any IR signal from any remote including original and I am extremely happy to say THIS SH!T REALLY WORKS!

I took the instructions to the extreme and covered the entire bottom of the tv as I was not sure if the IR sensor was located in different spots on different model and yr. TV's.

Follow the instructions EXACTLY and it should work just fine!

GOOD LUCK!

1) Turn TV off, then unplug Tv. Next remove batteries from Remote
3) Plug TV back in and turn on using the buttons on the Tv.. Check to make sure the buttons work.
4) Put remote batteries back in while pressing the remote buttons.
5) Uncover IR sensor.
6) Try remote.

post #12 of 22 Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 PM

I must say I was seriously skeptical that this would work, but I tried it on my 1yr. old 60 inch led-lcd that had all off a sudden developed a problem with receiving any IR signal from any remote including original and I am extremely happy to say THIS SH!T REALLY WORKS!

I took the instructions to the extreme and covered the entire bottom of the tv as I was not sure if the IR sensor was located in different spots on different model and yr. TV's.

Follow the instructions EXACTLY and it should work just fine!

GOOD LUCK!

1) Turn TV off, then unplug Tv. Next remove batteries from Remote
3) Plug TV back in and turn on using the buttons on the Tv.. Check to make sure the buttons work.
4) Put remote batteries back in while pressing the remote buttons.
5) Uncover IR sensor.
6) Try remote.

post #13 of 22 Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Hi,
I COULDN'T GET ANYTHING WORKING ON MY SHARP TELEVISION KEPT SAYING DATABASE EMPTY,SO I TRIED THIS AND THAT PRESSING BUTTONS AND THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME.
I UNPLUGGED TV FROM BACK OF SET,THEN I PRESSED VOLUME BUTTON DOWN AND MODE BUTTON (NEXT TO ON / BUTTON) AT THE SAME TIME,I THEN PRESSED ON/OFF BUTTON ,THEN ON THE SCREEN CAME PUBLIC ACCESS WHICH REQUIRED 3 DIGITS TYPED FROM REMOTE,I TYPED 123,AND BINGO ALL SEEMED WORKING,I THEN DOWNLOADED SOFTWARE UPDATE,AND COULD GET MORE TV STATIONS THAN MY BT VISION BOX,I HOPE IT WORKS FOR SOMEONE ELSE.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-01-2012, 07:48 AM

SORRY I FORGOT TO ADD YOU OBVIOUSLY PUT PLUG BACK INTO TV
post #15 of 22 Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 AM

B
post #16 of 22 Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv_md View Post

5) Uncover IR sensor.

6) Try remote.

Very very strangely, this worked perfectly. I googled, foud this thread, tried it, and it totally fixed it. Made an account JUST to give a shout out and day thanks for the tip!
post #17 of 22 Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS SOLUTION! It worked for me, as well! ☺
post #18 of 22 Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM

Created an account just to post. These steps have previously worked for me. In fact Usually just removing the batteries and pressing the power button for 15 seconds then re-inserting batteries would work for me. Alas I went the full 9 yards several times and even went so far as to leave the tv unplugged for several minutes before continuing troubleshooting steps. I verified the remote is working as I turned on my digital camera phone and pointed it at the camera while pressing my power button on my tv remote. You can clearly see that flash being sent on the digi cam viewer screen. Which means My receiver is likely dead on the unit itself. It's about 2-3 years old now so out of warranty. Thankfully I use my tv mostly for my computer monitor as my 56". Instead of paying up the wazoos for repairs I thought outside the box. I downloaded a program called NirCmd for my 64 bit windows. Extracted the 3 files to my desktop then right-clicked and ran as admin the nircmd.exe. It copied to windows system folder and now my cmd (command line utility/DOS prompt) apparently has the ability to run all sorts of goodies! I tested by running a command "nircmd.exe screensaver". Bam right to blank screen! (black) I've got my screen saver set to 4 hours as I often watch tv in bed with my mouse beside me. My screen saver is set to plain black screen/nothing so when im ready to fall asleep i simply stop my streaming video, and click a shortcut on my desktop that automatically runs the cmd command and shuts off my monitor. to wake it back up simply move the mouse a little bit.
to create the click-able shortcut do the following after you've installed nircmd (free program)

1) right click desktop
2) new>text file, name the file anything you want, I called mine "Sleep"
3) click start button, type "folder options" in the "search programs and files" and click the one under the heading "control panel"
4) click view tab, change the radial button to "show hidden files, folders, or drives" and un-check the box for "hide extensions for known file types", click apply and close the window
5) open the text file you created on your desktop and type the following without the quotation marks opf coarse "nircmd.exe screensaver", click file save and close the text file
6) now change the file name extension from Sleep.txt to Sleep.bat
7) now go back to start button, type "folder options" in the "search programs and files" and click the one under the heading "control panel"
8) click view tab, change the radial button back to " don't show hidden files, folders, or drives" and re-check the box for "hide extensions for known file types", click apply and close the window
9) now simply double click the cogwheel (bat file) to shut your monitor off

to set your screen saver as blank, right click the desktop background anywhere and choose>personalize
in the lower right you should see "screen saver", click that and choose "none"
ive also got my logon screen disabled so alli do is move the mouse and it comes straight back into windows

Maybe a little off-topic but on the off chance anyone else is using their tv as a monitor I hope it helps someone else!
post #19 of 22 Old 01-11-2014, 03:43 PM

I had the same thing happen today and thank goodness there was this info online, it worked like a charm !!! And it only took a minute to do. We have had our Sharp Aquos for 7 to 8 years and have not had a moment of trouble and really with such an easy fix this turned out to be no trouble either. Thanks for posting!!!

post #20 of 22 Old 02-07-2014, 04:21 PM

OMG - After a week-long ordeal, about an hour on the phone with DirecTV and two remotes later, the 6-step thing worked!  I have a Sharp Aquos 65-inch.  Miraculous.  Thank you!!!

post #21 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Liked: 0
Talking Thanks a bunch it worked!!

Thanks for sharing the fix. I've had the tv for 6 years and all of a sudden the remote sensor stopped working. But thanks to your post its up and working again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv_md View Post

5) Uncover IR sensor.
6) Try remote.

post #22 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 PM

Liked: 0
yes, My screen saver is set to plain black screen/nothing so when im ready to fall asleep i simply stop my streaming video, and click a shortcut on my desktop that automatically runs the cmd command and shuts off my monitor. to wake it back up simply move the mouse a little bit.thanks [IMG]http://*******/xGWw1O[/IMG]
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc32d44u 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page