LN46A650 problems...pls help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-13-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I got my Samsung LN46A650 recently from amazon. I have it connected to my Time warner cable set top box through a HDMI 1.3 cable.

I am having problems in terms of performance and would really appreciate any advice from experts on possible solutions.

The problems I am seeing are:

1. The picture is so-so for standard TV channels.

2. I watched Transformers on HBO HD yesterday:
- The picture was awesome when there was almost no/very slow change in the picture.
- The picture is blurry and looks like a cheap DVD print when the scene changes even slightly rapidly. What the hell!!

3. I see similar blurry pictures when there are fast moving scenes. This sucks because I paid all the extra money for this latest model because it claims to fix it.

4. I never get 120Hz for which I paid an extra 300 bucks. The display always says 1920x1080i@60Hz. I am using a HDMI v1.3 cable.

If anyone has experienced the same problems and has found a way around it, please let me know. O.W. do you think the TV is a lemon?

Thanks,
Arvind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Blur and pixelation are normally the result of a poor, compressed signal being sent by your provider. One thing you can do is request that TW install a signal booster on your cable.

Check with a dvd player or game player and see if the same type of problem occurs. If so, it's the tv. If not, it's Time Warner.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ok, u need to understand one thing, i dont know what your settings are set to and why you are expiriencing the problem you are reporting but watching HD Movies on Cable TV/Sattelite is never problem free as in a "PERFECT" picture such as blueray because quiete frankly these crappy cable and Satelite companies are compressing our signals which makes some stuff really ugly and unwatchable with artifacts, i watch only HD channels and i like it alot on my 52" a650, with AMP set to high i love how everything looks.

picture being so so on sd channel is normal , on other tvs its even WORSE , i had the A550 , god what a horrible expirience that was, i enjoy watchig SD now on the a650 More than it was on the a550 but still it sucks, it was unwatchable on the samsung a550 though, for me atleast.

You seeing blurry images IS NOT normal, it might be that you have a defective set according to your description but im not sure. i dont see any bluriness like u describe.

Tell us more but just so you know, no other TV will give you a better PQ if thats what ur after because if ur done ur reasearch, the a650 is a top notch TV, compare any set to it, i did, cant find a better one out there at this moment and quiete frankly im not looking for any any more either maybe some plasma will but thats a plasma, not an LCD..

do you notice these problems with a PS3/XBOX360?
post #4 of 16 Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind_SD View Post

Hi,

I got my Samsung LN46A650 recently from amazon. I have it connected to my Time warner cable set top box through a HDMI 1.3 cable.

I am having problems in terms of performance and would really appreciate any advice from experts on possible solutions.

The problems I am seeing are:

1. The picture is so-so for standard TV channels.

2. I watched Transformers on HBO HD yesterday:
- The picture was awesome when there was almost no/very slow change in the picture.
- The picture is blurry and looks like a cheap DVD print when the scene changes even slightly rapidly. What the hell!!

3. I see similar blurry pictures when there are fast moving scenes. This sucks because I paid all the extra money for this latest model because it claims to fix it.

4. I never get 120Hz for which I paid an extra 300 bucks. The display always says 1920x1080i@60Hz. I am using a HDMI v1.3 cable.

If anyone has experienced the same problems and has found a way around it, please let me know. O.W. do you think the TV is a lemon?

Thanks,
Arvind

None of the problems you mentioned are because of the TV. The cable companies compress the HD channels more than what they should be. All the artifacts you are seeing are because of that. And in most cases (like mine), the signal strength might not be good. (You won't see this much on standard cable. But, on HD, yes).

The TV is always 120hz. What you see is the source material info. Not sure how many times this question is going to be answered Probably, Samsung should stop displaying this info
post #5 of 16 Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

I have not tried with a blue-ray or PS3 since I don't have one. The picture quality with m 1080p up-converting DVD player is decent. No artifacts but also not great sharp quality. I am going to try and borrow someones PS3.

What is this signal booster? Is this some standard service provided by TWC?

Whenever I see any HD chanel there is always some kind of blur while moving from scene to scene (second scene does not seem to get formed instantly) at least once every 2-3 minutes. $

Having paid so much, I expected this to be a source of enjoyment, but it is turning out to be a source of frustration!
post #6 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 AM

Yeah, it sounds like the problem is the source and not your tv. If there is no choppiness with your dvd player then it is most likely coming from your cable. I currently have CC and will be switching to Dish because of the horrible quality that is a result of a weak signal. A signal booster is something that they will plug your cable into and plug it into the wall to amplify the signal. CC did this after I complained about a bad picture at no charge. Even after they added a booster, the picture is still bad. Call up TW and get them to do a test on your signal strength.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

I have not tried with a blue-ray or PS3 since I don't have one. The picture quality with m 1080p up-converting DVD player is decent. No artifacts but also not great sharp quality. I am going to try and borrow someones PS3.

Whenever I see any HD chanel there is always some kind of blur while moving from scene to scene (second scene does not seem to get formed instantly) at least once every 2-3 minutes. $

Having paid so much, I expected this to be a source of enjoyment, but it is turning out to be a source of frustration!

Crap in = crap out. unfortunately, most broadcast HD is crap, and upscaled SD will not look good on a big flat panel. Not sure a signal booster would help you, since that's likely a problem with the encoding they use.
Try out some blu-ray, and I think you'll change your mind.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to post your settings. Make sure your enhancements are turned off. Your TV is not calibrated properly.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The HD channels are really not the cause of poor reception, it's the compression along the way. I have FIOS and they send an uncompressed signal. The HD is usually very good to excellent and SD is good as well.

If you can get it in your area, FIOS is way better than the cable companies, I have had Comcast and there is a considerable improvement in picture quality for tvs as well as internet speed and stability.

The booster does as they people above said. It can help, you should call them and have them try it.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi lipcrkr,

Could you please list the settings you want me to post? By enhancements do you mean I should turn off auto motion plus?

Thanks,
Arvind
post #11 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mes444,

I don't get FIOS in my area. How is HD on DirectTV/Dish? How about AT&T U-verse? I get these.

Thanks,
Arvind
post #12 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Arvind, I don't really know too much about your other providers. Check out the thread below where people discuss all the providers and maybe you can get some good info there:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=34
post #13 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Man i dont have fios either , i wish i could tho, TW Cable Picture is a piece of garbage, btw i sooo agree with the above statement "crap in=crap out"
post #14 of 16 Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

I have placed my settings below. Please let me know if you notcie anything that needs to be changed.

Background:
I am having problems with my 46A650. The picture occasionally gets blurry before becoming sharp and awesome. This happens whenever the picture changes rapidly. Also, I notice some blue dots in the black areas which persist for a couple of seconds before becoming black. I am using a HDMI connection from my Time Warner set-top box.

These are my settings.

MOde: STandard
Backlight: 7
COntrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50
Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Off
Dynamic COntrast: Medium
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Native
White Balance:
Everything (R_offset, G-offset,...) is set to 25
FLesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On
xvYCC: Greyed Out
Picture Options:
COlor Tone: Normal
Size: 16:9
Digital NR: AUto
DNIe: Greyed Out
HDMI Black Level: Normal
Film Mode: Off
Blue only mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus 120Hz: High

ANy advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Arvind
post #15 of 16 Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

I have TW cable also, and the digital signals are compressed a bit more than they should be -- I see the same effect you're describing, and it's very annoying for the olympics.

I would suggest turning "Digital NR" to off, and "Edge Enhancement" to off; I don't think you'll be able to get rid of the effect totally though.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-16-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice clicq....I'll check it out and post the results.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page