Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodina View Post

can anyone post calibration setting
and optimal audio setting?
thx

Ditto on that request. Mine just came in today and I still can't get an optimal calibration. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 173 Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the T220 and I'm adjusting as I type this. Does anyone have any settings that are warm yet good under low light situations? Also, is there any way to turn down the backlight?

Edit:

I just got the T260 non HD version. My question is that I've connected the DVR via HDMI but I think the settings are off on the monitor. I have the DVR set to 1080i but everything is huge. Like really huge. Even 720p. Can someone help me out?
post #93 of 173 Old 12-26-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi guys, I hope this is the right thread to put this.
I purchased the t220 non-hd monitor today, and I noticed that at edge of the screen at the top, the backlight gets bright and on a black screen it looks grey. This occurs for about a half an inch or so.
The weird thing is, if I turn the monitor off for a few minutes, then turn it back on, this problem disappears. However it seems to keep reappearing. Is this backlight bleeding? Do you recommend I exchange it for another one, or will the next one have this problem too? Replies would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

here are some pictures (sorry for bad qual, its really a black screen):
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2706/dscn1091kv5.jpg

other than the brightness along the top edge, and the other edges to a lesser degree, this monitor really is beautiful. I just want somone to tell me if my monitor is normal, or if I should try to exchange.
post #94 of 173 Old 01-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Hi everybody. I've had this set for just about 2 weeks; works awesome as a monitor and lokks stunning for 360 games and Blu-ray (well The Dark Knight at least, running at 24p via PS3 HDMI), but my HD Directv, HDMI, and upconverted dvds on the PS3 are full of noise.

Directv is hit or miss, but I'm getting noise on stuff that came in clear as day on my LN22a330 that I traded up from. I've also noticed motion smearing on Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, which I didn't notice on the LN22a330, but that game moves fast as all hell. HD videos from the Xbox Marketplace, trailers and such, look great, though. Wish I could access the RBG sliders for each input from the user menu instead of exclusively on the VGA input:/

Does this sound about normal? I don't watch a ton of tv or movies so it isn't a huge deal, but still...

I just had a thought, it's only my HDMI sources that look like crap-ish, I'm going to hook my Directv up to component and see if that changes anything.

Oh and here are my settings:

MagicBright: Text
Contrast 95
Brightness 28
Sharpness 58

Coarse 50
Fine 43

Color Tone Warm
R-Gain 48
G-Gain 35
B-Gain 17
Size Wide

(I adjusted the RGB and saved a profile with the included software but it made my blacks less deep and colors pretty drab, so I switched back to the text mode and did some fiddling around)
------
Xbox 360 (component)

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 2
Contrast:50
Brightness: 55
Shaprness: 0
Color: 40
Tint: 52/48

Color Tone: warm 2
Size: Just Scan
DNR: 0ff

360: 1080p
Black Level: extended

Shameless Panasonic plasma fanboy || Engadget contributing editor || Follow me on Twitter @timseppala.
post #95 of 173 Old 01-12-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdarkness View Post

Hi everybody. I've had this set for just about 2 weeks; works awesome as a monitor and lokks stunning for 360 games and Blu-ray (well The Dark Knight at least, running at 24p via PS3 HDMI), but my HD Directv, HDMI, and upconverted dvds on the PS3 are full of noise.

Directv is hit or miss, but I'm getting noise on stuff that came in clear as day on my LN22a330 that I traded up from. I've also noticed motion smearing on Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, which I didn't notice on the LN22a330, but that game moves fast as all hell. HD videos from the Xbox Marketplace, trailers and such, look great, though. Wish I could access the RBG sliders for each input from the user menu instead of exclusively on the VGA input:/

Does this sound about normal? I don't watch a ton of tv or movies so it isn't a huge deal, but still...

I just had a thought, it's only my HDMI sources that look like crap-ish, I'm going to hook my Directv up to component and see if that changes anything.

Oh and here are my settings:

MagicBright: Text
Contrast 95
Brightness 28
Sharpness 58

Coarse 50
Fine 43

Color Tone Warm
R-Gain 48
G-Gain 35
B-Gain 17
Size Wide

(I adjusted the RGB and saved a profile with the included software but it made my blacks less deep and colors pretty drab, so I switched back to the text mode and did some fiddling around)
------
Xbox 360 (component)

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 2
Contrast:50
Brightness: 55
Shaprness: 0
Color: 40
Tint: 52/48

Color Tone: warm 2
Size: Just Scan
DNR: 0ff

360: 1080p
Black Level: extended

let us know when u come up with the setting for directtv
post #96 of 173 Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Directv over component gives me the same shtty results as HDMI: pure pixelated garbage. When I'm laying in bed I can barely see it, but if I'm within a few feet of the tv I see it. But I "see" it all the time, It's a hell of a curse. I don't know if I'm going to swap this set back for another LN22A330 or not, that entire line can't have backlight bleed problems can it? I really like the black levels on this monitor/tv though:/

Is there anything in the service menu that I could fiddle with to get rid of the pixelation or make any other improvements?

And does anyone else think the Cnet review is bunk seeing as they don't mention the pixelation on HDTV signals?

Shameless Panasonic plasma fanboy || Engadget contributing editor || Follow me on Twitter @timseppala.
post #97 of 173 Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 PM

I just picked up the T260HD from Best Buy yesterday and absolutely love it. However whenever I watch anything that's animated there are patches/lines of blue pixels. Adjusting the contrast to 95 seems to clear a lot of it up but there's still enough to bug me. Also a lot of the levels of contrast make large amounts of white have blue shadows, almost like have double vision.

I also tried using my 360 and Wii through component to see if it was my computer or video card but the blue patches/lines still happened. This isn't normal right? I did get the last one from BB but I'm sure they could order another one or maybe switch it for the T240HD. Thanks in advance for any help.
post #98 of 173 Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail_Tracer View Post

I just picked up the T260HD from Best Buy yesterday and absolutely love it. However whenever I watch anything that's animated there are patches/lines of blue pixels. Adjusting the contrast to 95 seems to clear a lot of it up but there's still enough to bug me. Also a lot of the levels of contrast make large amounts of white have blue shadows, almost like have double vision.

I also tried using my 360 and Wii through component to see if it was my computer or video card but the blue patches/lines still happened. This isn't normal right? I did get the last one from BB but I'm sure they could order another one or maybe switch it for the T240HD. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you see lots of pixels that always stay blue, lines of them that certainly sounds like a defective monitor, or one that would certainly merit replacement even through Samsung. A couple or a few pixels wouldn't qualify but it sounds like you have many more than a few pixels. I'd take it back to Best Buy and see if you can exchange. They might make the Geek Squad people plug it in and verify it's defective before they authorize an exchange/refund, they did that to me when I bought a monitor a year ago(not the T240HD). They'll get more, these monitors will be around for many more months before they are "discontinued"

I have seen the T260HD for less at Sam's Club, just FYI.
post #99 of 173 Old 01-13-2009, 04:42 PM

If you bought it at Best Buy just take it back and tell them the issue. Don't go to the Geek Squad. That's a waste of time. If you have your receipt then ask for an exchange. I had the T220 and exchanged it for the T260 without any questions asked.

I don't have any issues with the T260. It's a great monitor and the Blacks are great. I only have one stuck pixel that you can't even tell that it's there unless you really look for it. It looks like a dust particle really.

I have my HD DVR (Comcast) through the HDMI.
I have the PS3 through the DVI.
PC through VGA.

Great monitor. But if you're getting blue lines and ****, then return it before you don't have a chance to return or exchange it.
post #100 of 173 Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna call Best Buy and see if they have any in stock or will be getting any soon before I go there.

It's definitely the monitor, I tried two other LCD's and all of the video playback was flawless. Thought it might of just been my PC.

Its also not really pixels that are stuck blue its more like ripples of blue while watching some videos or pretty much any video that's animated. If I pause playback and change the contrast from 0 to 100, rings of light blue expand through the image. Is there a name for something like that?
post #101 of 173 Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail_Tracer View Post

If I pause playback and change the contrast from 0 to 100, rings of light blue expand through the image. Is there a name for something like that?

Yea, a defective monitor

My T240HD has 1 freakin stuck pixel on pink, that's near the center of the screen. However if you don't think about it, you hardly notice it. For TV viewing from a few feet back of course you don't see it. But as a PC monitor when it's only a couple feet in front of you, you can see it.

Unfortunetly it is somewhat of a gamble, and most manufactorers say that under a certain number of pixels is considered non-defective and they won't replace it. For this very reason, stay away from open-box buys of LCD monitors, if you have a few dead pixels than someone could just return it and say they don't like it, and the store sells it at a discount as an open box buy. If you do be sure you can plug it in and inspect it first before you buy.
There is a freeware DVD image out there called TVBlink, that runs several test patterns on the screen that makes it easier to find dead pixels, check response times, black levels, etc etc. It can't remove dead pixels but it can help you identify any.
post #102 of 173 Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM

I want to thank ak3883 for the post. You are correct, when trying to use the HDMI/audio out on the T240HD, it only transmits in a yukky 2.1 setup. So my 360 and PS3 will have to plug into my receiver the old fashioned way. I am bummed.
post #103 of 173 Old 01-20-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey all, I just picked up the T260HD last night and was expecting to need to get a cable box to tune digital channels since everything I've read from Samsung indicates that this set DOES NOT have a QAM tuner, ONLY ATSC.

You can imagine my surprise then when it did indeed tune all the clear channels available on my provider's network (Cablevision); in fact it went so far as to remove scrambled channels...very nice feature.

Either my provider is pumping out ATSC over coax or Samsung decided to include QAM after writing the manuals and online FAQs??

BTW, I'm currently looking to do something about the audio. Anyone know of a small soundbar with onboard decoding (small = about the same width of the T260HD; ~25in.)?
post #104 of 173 Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 42
My T240HD showed up from Amazon today. Decent display, but via multiple inputs/devices (360 via component...PC via DVI, another PC via VGA) I see 'ripples' that move down the screen from top to bottom. Almost looks like scan lines on a old CRT. Has anyone seen anything like this?
post #105 of 173 Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

My T240HD showed up from Amazon today. Decent display, but via multiple inputs/devices (360 via component...PC via DVI, another PC via VGA) I see 'ripples' that move down the screen from top to bottom. Almost looks like scan lines on a old CRT. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Oh man that sounds horrible. I haven't experienced any problems with my T220HD like that. Maybe you got a bunk screen?
post #106 of 173 Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM

i understand this tv is 1920 x 1200.
is there a way to watch tv without the black bar at top & bottom.
i tried every mode in picture size option and nothing seems to display it
as 1920 x 1080.
also, i tried to strech it through direct tv receiver but it did not make
any difference at all.
post #107 of 173 Old 02-12-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodina View Post

i understand this tv is 1920 x 1200.
is there a way to watch tv without the black bar at top & bottom.
i tried every mode in picture size option and nothing seems to display it
as 1920 x 1080.
also, i tried to strech it through direct tv receiver but it did not make
any difference at all.

if you want to watch it as 1920x1080 then there is no way of removing the black bars since as you mention the panel's native resolution is 1920x1200.

this is my daughter's set so i don't have recent hands-on experience but from what i recall when setting it up for her, the set has a mode where it will fill the screen...so when you are watching 1920x1080 or 480 material, it upconverts, stretches, zooms, etc. based on your preference.
post #108 of 173 Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

if you want to watch it as 1920x1080 then there is no way of removing the black bars since as you mention the panel's native resolution is 1920x1200.

this is my daughter's set so i don't have recent hands-on experience but from what i recall when setting it up for her, the set has a mode where it will fill the screen...so when you are watching 1920x1080 or 480 material, it upconverts, stretches, zooms, etc. based on your preference.

When on TV mode and using the T240HD's tuner, you can select a mode that does stretch vertically to fill the entire screen, I forgot which picture mode it is, "wide" or "16x9" I don't know about the HDMI inputs though, I currently don't have any sources hooked up to them.
post #109 of 173 Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

When on TV mode and using the T240HD's tuner, you can select a mode that does stretch vertically to fill the entire screen, I forgot which picture mode it is, "wide" or "16x9" I don't know about the HDMI inputs though, I currently don't have any sources hooked up to them.

yes, tv can fill the entire screen vertically. however, when it does, it cuts out
the both sides a little bit. i notice this when i was watching cnnhd. i could only
see the part of c in cnnhd logo on the left-bottom screen.
so i guess there no way to watch tv as an entire screen
without losing anything.
post #110 of 173 Old 02-20-2009, 05:47 AM

I just picked up a T240HD at the local Circuit City going out of business sale. There were people buying everything in the 20-24 inch TV section at prices that were not that much of a bargain. Back in the computer section sat a display of about 15 of these monitors at 30% off instead of the 20-25% off on TV's. I scanned the box and no where did it specifically say the T240HD had a digital tuner in it. I guess most people just didn't know. I paid 315.00. Went back to the store 2 days later, and there was only one left. Just a heads up if others might be interested.

Outside of the kind of weak audio performance, I really like this monitor.
post #111 of 173 Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Hey all, I just picked up the T260HD last night and was expecting to need to get a cable box to tune digital channels since everything I've read from Samsung indicates that this set DOES NOT have a QAM tuner, ONLY ATSC.

You can imagine my surprise then when it did indeed tune all the clear channels available on my provider's network (Cablevision); in fact it went so far as to remove scrambled channels...very nice feature.

Either my provider is pumping out ATSC over coax or Samsung decided to include QAM after writing the manuals and online FAQs??

BTW, I'm currently looking to do something about the audio. Anyone know of a small soundbar with onboard decoding (small = about the same width of the T260HD; ~25in.)?

Okay, this is what I'm wondering. I just got the t260HD. I don't use comcast, hell, all we have is cable internet. What do I need to get this thing to get over the air channels? My girlfriend wants to watch heroes on NBC. What am I going to need for her to do that?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
post #112 of 173 Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninChaos View Post

Okay, this is what I'm wondering. I just got the t260HD. I don't use comcast, hell, all we have is cable internet. What do I need to get this thing to get over the air channels? My girlfriend wants to watch heroes on NBC. What am I going to need for her to do that?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

a tower broadcasting nbc in digitial near your location and an antenna to grab the signal...connect the antenna to the rf/coax input on the samsung and then scan for channels...

beyond that you should check the OTA forums for more detailed advice/guidance, if you need it.

there is a site, i think it is antennaweb.org, that will let you know what/who is broadcasting in your area and suggest the antenna you will need to receive...
post #113 of 173 Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM

does anything special need to be done to get my t240hd to scan for unencrypted digital cable (qam)?
spent an hour last night running scans and it does not even attempt to scan for either atsc or qam channels...

contacted samsung about it and well.... the "lady" 1st told me that there is no tuner.... then a 5 minute hold... then no "quam" support.... 5 minute hold... and despite me attempting to explain that every review and even the display model i looked at had qam support, she cut me off a said "there is no quam support, so do you need help with anything else other than this?"

needless to say, my co-workers were shocked at the words flying out of my mouth before hanging up

other than that.... screen quality is amazing for me!
post #114 of 173 Old 03-04-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I did like my T240 pretty well over the course of the past year or so, but I owned this when I was home using the PC and watching some TV during the day, but now that I'm working during the day instead of at night, I'm beginning to see that the black levels and the brightness really are not that good for dim-lit/dark rooms. So I wound up going for the Dell 2408WFP, and I'd have to say, this monitor probably will do better for a low-light situation. The T240 was nice, but I'm still disappointed that it only used a TN panel, tho. I was expecting them to use the same S-PVA panels that they use in the HDTV counterparts. I never knew that Samsung only used TN in their ToC SyncMasters until I just recently saw the description a few weeks ago. The panel quality will make a big difference, unless it uses LED backlighting.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #115 of 173 Old 03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashram View Post

does anything special need to be done to get my t240hd to scan for unencrypted digital cable (qam)?
spent an hour last night running scans and it does not even attempt to scan for either atsc or qam channels...

contacted samsung about it and well.... the "lady" 1st told me that there is no tuner.... then a 5 minute hold... then no "quam" support.... 5 minute hold... and despite me attempting to explain that every review and even the display model i looked at had qam support, she cut me off a said "there is no quam support, so do you need help with anything else other than this?"

needless to say, my co-workers were shocked at the words flying out of my mouth before hanging up

other than that.... screen quality is amazing for me!

did you try both "air" and "cable" settings? i can't recall which i did or if there was any difference in the result...
post #116 of 173 Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:

did you try both "air" and "cable" settings? i can't recall which i did or if there was any difference in the result...

i did.... nothing digital on either one
post #117 of 173 Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashram View Post

i did.... nothing digital on either one

if your cable system otherwise has unencrypted content, then i would say that you have a bad tuner.

this happened to my brother-in-law over the holidays, not with one of these sets but with a vizio...we tried evertying and ultimately gave up...exchanged it and voila, it worked...
post #118 of 173 Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 AM

i think it may be a bad tuner.... i just opened a service call (online) with samsung.... since i bought it online, the time for me to end it to new egg and wait for an exchange would be longer than samsung's mailing one to a ups store for a quick change!
post #119 of 173 Old 03-10-2009, 04:24 PM

I got the antenna stuff figured out, thanks guys.

Now, got one more question. I have DVI and I have a DVI to HDMI converter. I currently use that for my PC. Why can't I access any picture settings? It doesn't give me the option to tweak them at all beyond standard, dynamic, and movie. I can adjust the backlight, contrast and brightness under those, but nothing else. It's really annoying. Suggestions
post #120 of 173 Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Now, got one more question. I have DVI and I have a DVI to HDMI converter. I currently use that for my PC. Why can't I access any picture settings? It doesn't give me the option to tweak them at all beyond standard, dynamic, and movie. I can adjust the backlight, contrast and brightness under those, but nothing else. It's really annoying. Suggestions

I have the same problem. I called Samsung and they were pretty much clueless. After a struggle to get them to simply understand the problem, they said that it's probably because I used an HDMI to DVI adapter. I told them that didn't make much sense, but they wouldn't help me further.

Luckily, in my case, I no longer need to run a computer to it using HDMI, but I'm still curious about this apparent limitation.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung