Samsung SyncMaster TOC Txx0HD-Series Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 173 Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is for those who are looking for a combo HDTV/PC Display with sizes between 19" to 30" and wanting that full 1080p experience in the smaller sizes. Let's look at the facts among the different sizes, and what every line's features include:

Samsung SyncMaster TOC 20" T200HD HDTV Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster TOC 22" T220HD HDTV Monitor

- Widescreen 20" LCD TFT Display (T200HD), Widescreen 22" LCD TFT/TN Display (T220HD)
- Resolution 1680x1050
- Dynamic Contrast 10000:1, Static Contrast 1000:1
- 5ms response time
- 300 cd/m2 brightness
- 1 DVI-D, 2 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 Component, Digital Optical Out
- ATSC/QAM Digital Tuner
- Dolby Digital Audio

Samsung SyncMaster TOC 24" T240HD HDTV Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster TOC 26" T260HD HDTV Monitor

- Widescreen 24" LCD TFT/TN Display (T240HD), Widescreen 26" LCD TFT/TN Display (T260HD)
- 1920x1200 Resolution with 1080p Support
- MagicColor color control
- MagicBright 3 technology
- MagicKey
- Swivel and tilt stand
- Lower power consumption
- ATSC/QAM Digital Tuner
- Dolby Digital Audio
- DVI x 1, HDMI x 2, Component x 1, VGA x 1, SPDIF Out x 1
- 10000:1 DCR, 1000:1 Contrast Ratio

Currently I own the vanilla T240 Monitor, but this thread is catered more towards those that own the HD variants of these monitors, as you can use these as actual televisions, if you so desire. Feel free to discuss anything from the SyncMaster TOC T-HD Series here. Thanks.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 173 Old 08-16-2008, 08:25 AM

I will be ordering the T240HD pretty soon. I will post my personal review after I play around with it
post #3 of 173 Old 08-16-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, sweet... The only reason I didn't go for the one with the HD Tuner built-in was that I already have a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800, and thought that having the T240HD would've been overkill, but even so, if I had to do it all over, I definitely would've scrapped the tuner card and went for the built-in T240HD tuner, but I'd lack the DVR options, and Media Center use from it, tho.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #4 of 173 Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The T240HD is on sale this week at a couple stores that sell lots of consumer electronics

I almost got it today but they wouldn't let me use a coupon on a sale price. Debating how much more I'd be willing to pay to be able to return to the store if I'm not totally satisfied, since it can be found online for cheaper.

Somewhat interesting this line does not have any composite video inputs, which limits hooking up older components if you ever want to, you would need a VCR with line-in hooked up via coax to this TV in order to use something like an older video game system.
post #5 of 173 Old 08-18-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I never noticed this, but it seems like unlike the larger HDTVs from Samsung, the PC Monitor/HDTV combos seem to use TFT/TN, which is surprising, considering that Samsung makes S-PVA for their larger screens. However, I find that Dell's Ultrasharps of similar size ranges use S-PVA, so why can't Samsung use S-PVA in their own monitors with the T-Series lineup like that? That's what's bothering me.

post #6 of 173 Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, I just got this monitor yesterday, and hooked a cable box up to it via HDMI, and it actually does look nice out of the box, but the black levels were disappointingly light. I'm wondering what type of calibration I should be looking into for this.

post #7 of 173 Old 08-20-2008, 02:17 PM

Very good price and the HD picture is very nice. I thought the blacks were very dark, but at the risk of shadow detail in my limited viewing.
post #8 of 173 Old 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

Very good price and the HD picture is very nice. I thought the blacks were very dark, but at the risk of shadow detail in my limited viewing.

Guess my viewing angle when I was testing out the display probably wasn't the best, either. That probably may be about it. Needless to say, if anyone has a calibration list, I'd be happy to know. I know that it has potential to be a dark black level for a monitor, but probably still a far cry from what I would find on my living room LN46A750 set. Guess that's what you get with a different panel technology.

post #9 of 173 Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I just picked up the T240HD last night, on sale at Best Buy plus a 10% off. I've only used it for a few hours, but these are my initial observations.

Cons:
-1 stuck pixel near the middle(magenta) That's the only one I've seen. If I don't think about it, I don't really notice it, and when watching TV/moving images it's nearly impossible to see, just when looking at a web page or desktop it's noticable. Hopefully it becomes like the rainbows I see with DLPs, I just don't think/worry about it, and I never notice them.
-No mounting holes. Not a big deal for me personally, but this could be a dealbreaker for some.
-No composite video inputs. So it's not possible to use an older video game system on this, unless you have a spare VCR lying around(that you hook up via coax, yuck).
-1 combined input for antenna/cable. I believe last year's Samsung models had 2 seperate inputs, which was nice.
-Some missing menu options from older samsung models(like making the setup screen transparent, forcing a blue screen instead of TV static, etc. But there are more color control options, so it somewhat balences out.

Pros:
-Colors looked not bad out of the box even.
-TV Tuner performs great
-1920x1200 resolution is HUGE.
-Plenty of aspect ratios on TV and HDMI modes, DVI is limited, you'd only want to hook up a PC to the DVI port, if your HD device has DVI out, get an HDMI-DVI cable/dongle.
-ToC and the soft light in the bottom right looks pretty neat, IMO.

The pros definetly outweigh the cons, which are all just little picky things.
post #10 of 173 Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 PM

I got mine (Samsung T240HD) about 6 days ago and so far I am loving it! Got no dead pixels and very minimal backlight bleed. I thought I was going to take a huge hit in the PQ department coming from a 1080p Bravia; but I didn't! The picture is superb although I heard that the 26'' version has washed out colors? Using this monitor with PS3 HDMI is great, the colors are vibrant and everything just looks crisp.
post #11 of 173 Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 PM

I had the last T260HD sold right in front of me at Best Buy tonight. I went ahead and had them order one for me, its supposed to be here next Saturday so I'll post a report then after watching some college football.
post #12 of 173 Old 08-29-2008, 09:11 AM

Is this compatible with a Mac? Also is there no remote included? Thank you I am looking at this for my daughter's room.
post #13 of 173 Old 08-29-2008, 06:51 PM

I don't know if its compatible with Mac but there is a remote included. A feature that is usually missing from Monitors these days. I'm guessing its probably because of the HD tuner it has built in.
post #14 of 173 Old 08-30-2008, 03:49 PM

It definitely has a remote.

Here are a few pics, iI love it so far. Been watching football all day.
post #15 of 173 Old 08-30-2008, 03:49 PM

grr spam filter
post #16 of 173 Old 08-30-2008, 03:50 PM

The camera sucks, it looks much better in person. I just borrowed the camera from my roommate.
post #17 of 173 Old 09-01-2008, 01:45 PM

I got my T240HD hooked up down in my Fortress of Solitude. Not a bad picture, I was running a Westinghouse L2410MN which is not a TN panel to give you a comparison as to where I was coming from. I have my Directv HD receiver hooked up via HDMI and I was able to program the Directv remote to control the Samsung. I have my PC hooked up DVI and my region free Pioneer DVD player hooked up Component.

One probem:

I just use a THX certified PC speaker system that auto detects and decodes DTS, DD, and Dolby Pro Logic. It has inputs for analog, digital DIN, optical and coaxial. Having limited inputs, I wanted to output sound via the Optical out from the Samsung to the decoder box. Doing this my decoder box only registers Dolby Pro Logic. However, if I plug right from the Directv recever to the decoder box via optical I get DD. Anyone else have this happening with the Samsung hooked up to a receiver?
post #18 of 173 Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloud View Post

One probem:

I just use a THX certified PC speaker system that auto detects and decodes DTS, DD, and Dolby Pro Logic. It has inputs for analog, digital DIN, optical and coaxial. Having limited inputs, I wanted to output sound via the Optical out from the Samsung to the decoder box. Doing this my decoder box only registers Dolby Pro Logic. However, if I plug right from the Directv recever to the decoder box via optical I get DD. Anyone else have this happening with the Samsung hooked up to a receiver?

Usually TVs(I think I even remember reading this somewhere about the samsung), only pass DD5.1 out the optical output, when using the TV's internal tuner. It does not pass through DD5.1 when watching the HDMI input, only 2ch. My old samsung DLP is like this as well. You have to be using the TV tuner to output DD5.1, won't work if you are using the HDMI input.

You would have to output the optical(or digital coax) from the Directv box right into your speaker system's inputs.
post #19 of 173 Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm the new(accidental) owner of a T220HD and I'm wondering if any vidoephile has taken the time to get the settings for NVIDIA and the monitor checked out yet. I REALLY need some good advice on the Nvidia settings I really can't find any sensible guide on how to get ALL the settings perfect, also the settings for this monitor would be a BIG help!

By accidental I mean I ordered the T220 from stapes@$309CND Free S&H and ended up getting the T220HD! , lol@staples.
post #20 of 173 Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 PM

so has anyone calibrated a T220HD for the PS3? i just bought one of these the other day and i'm trying to get the best image out of this set. i'm also unsure if i should use RGB full or limited in the PS3 display setup.
post #21 of 173 Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 AM

I think its Full RGB since its a monitor and not a TV which handles limited. I'm also curious as to see others' calibration for PS3. I've got the T240HD and so far its been great, except for the horrible speakers!
post #22 of 173 Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have any EQ settings which can salvage these crappy speakers? I remember there was an EQ setting for the samsung bigger tvs that improved the sound dramatically, but I don't think we get as many bands to play with on this one. If anyone comes up with anyting AND nvidia/tv settings that would be great!
post #23 of 173 Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 PM

I recently purchased a T220HD (June 2008 build date) for my parents. Hooked it up to a DVD player and had no problems. Then hooked it up to OTA antenna and about 5 minutes after it completed the auto channel scan, it died. Screen went black--no power, no nothing. The outlet was fine, as two other items plugged into the power strip were still powered up. I plugged the monitor into another outlet but it remained dead. May it RIP.

I bought the monitor from Amazon and I am currently in process of exchanging it. They told me I needed to contact Samsung first to see if there is a firmware update that may easily fix the problem. The Amazon rep said they receive too many Samsung TVs for return or exchange for a problem that could have been fixed with an update.

Samsung said there are no firmware updates for the T220HD, adding that software wouldn't revive a TV from the dead anyway. They said I could exchange it through them (would take over two weeks). I declined. I surmise dealing through Amazon will be faster.

FWIW, the Samsung tech said people have called in for set-up help but this is the first she heard of a major problem with this monitor. Thankfully there doesn't appear to be product-wide issues with the TV tuner so I feel safe in exchanging the monitor for another one. I guess I got the one lemon in the bunch.
post #24 of 173 Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 PM

Oh, I must echo One2The3's comment on the poor speakers. The audio on the movie we watched via component hook-up was terrible. Loud enough but hollow, hollow, hollow.

I remember reading a review that cautioned if you are buying this to use more as a TV than a monitor you might want to look elsewhere because the audio is bad. My last words before I submitted my order were: "It can't be that bad."

Oops, it is that bad. To make matters worse, the only audio-out is via digital optical Toslink. My parents don't have a digital sound system in their kitchen to hook a Toslink into. Would have been nice if Samsung added a RCA port for nondigital output.

The headphone jack is the only other output option but I am not sure how (if) that works with hooking small speakers into it.
post #25 of 173 Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubaflower View Post

Oh, I must echo One2The3's comment on the poor speakers. The audio on the movie we watched via component hook-up was terrible. Loud enough but hollow, hollow, hollow.

I remember reading a review that cautioned if you are buying this to use more as a TV than a monitor you might want to look elsewhere because the audio is bad. My last words before I submitted my order were: "It can't be that bad."

Oops, it is that bad. To make matters worse, the only audio-out is via digital optical Toslink. My parents don't have a digital sound system in their kitchen to hook a Toslink into. Would have been nice if Samsung added a RCA port for nondigital output.

The headphone jack is the only other output option but I am not sure how (if) that works with hooking small speakers into it.

All you need to do is get a $1 RCA L/R to 3.5mm headphone jack cable. Plug that into the headphone port, and you have 2ch RCA audio output from the monitor. Or plug simple computer speakers into the headphone port directly. Sounds like nearly anything would be better than the included speakers.

I don't watch much TV with mine, but occasionally I'll flip over to the TV(just has an antenna on it, no cable), the audio is fine for casually seeing what is on TV.
post #26 of 173 Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 AM

Hi All,

I currently have the Samsung 245BW LCD monitor.

I am looking to replace it with a 30 inch lcd monitor that can display 2560 x 1600 resolution for a pc, and also comes with a tv tuner/hdtv.

I found the Samsung T260HD monitor which is a LCD monitor and also comes with a TV tuner. Anyone know, when Samsung would be releasing a T300HD?

I appreciate any suggestions for a 30 inch LCD monitor which comes with a TV tuner. So, far I am thinking to get the Dell 3007WFP, but unfortunately it is not coming with a TV tuner.

What is a good place to watch for new 30 inch LCD monitor future arrivals?

Thanks
dealbuyer
post #27 of 173 Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM

You should check out Hard Forums. They have a lot of user reviews on various types and sizes of monitors. Thats where I got convinced to buy the T240HD. Its a great monitor for gaming, but as mentioned the speakers are garbage (heck I only use the headphone jack) and for movies (Blu Ray on PS3) aren't that good. I mean sometimes the black crush is there and sometimes its not, its irritating. In dark scenes I can literally see all of the pixels and it gets this wierd coat of haze over the picture. *sigh* Can't return it either because of BB 14 day return policy on monitors; have to go to with the manager.
post #28 of 173 Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM

these are my settings i'm using on the PS3. i've tried all kinds of combinations and these look best to me.

RGB full on the PS3...if set to Limited change brightness to 44

Standard mode...if using Movie everything is the same other than Sharpness should be set to 40
Backlight 7
Contrast 85
Brightness 54 to 55
Tint 0 to G2 undecided on this
Color 43 to 48 depends on the saturation you like
Sharpness 15
Color Tone Normal
Screen size 16X9
everything else off
sound is set to Music
post #29 of 173 Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealbuyer View Post

Hi All,

I currently have the Samsung 245BW LCD monitor.

I am looking to replace it with a 30 inch lcd monitor that can display 2560 x 1600 resolution for a pc, and also comes with a tv tuner/hdtv.

I found the Samsung T260HD monitor which is a LCD monitor and also comes with a TV tuner. Anyone know, when Samsung would be releasing a T300HD?

I appreciate any suggestions for a 30 inch LCD monitor which comes with a TV tuner. So, far I am thinking to get the Dell 3007WFP, but unfortunately it is not coming with a TV tuner.

What is a good place to watch for new 30 inch LCD monitor future arrivals?

Thanks
dealbuyer

Samsung just released the "Txxx" line of monitors earlier this summer, their new models for the year are released early in the summer, so there won't be any new models released until well into 2009. There is no "T300HD" that I am aware of.

If you didn't need the high resolution, I would go with the LN32A450, and use a DVI-HDMI cable. But it is only a 720P TV/monitor(1388x768 or whatever the exact resolution is). You could get the 1080P version of it, I think it has crept down to the $900 range. However that still only gets you a resolution of 1920x1080.

The T260HD is the cloest you will come to your requirements of a high resolution and 30'' size, at least in the Samsung line, I'm not sure if other mainstake brands really offer something with that high of a resolution in a 30/32'' size(Sony,Toshiba,Panasonic,etc). You might have to seek out some of the professional monitors that graphic artists use, but those likely won't have TV tuners on them.

Good luck .
post #30 of 173 Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks ak3883 and One2The3 for your replies. I appreciate it.

Thanks
dealbuyer
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page