2008 LG XXLG70 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 837 Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

been fishing through the posts to try to find the answer to what I'm sure is a super noob question! Just purchased a 42LG70YD and I was just trying to set the picture up nicely but I can't seem to change the 2-point IRE method to the 10-point IRE method.

The option just doesn't seem to be there! I select Expert1 in the picture menu and then head to expert controls but there is no option to change the IRE method. Is there something I need to do to make the option available???

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 837 Old 11-10-2009, 06:04 AM
mco

Pressing "Menu", then select "Picture" & press "Enter", Pressing "Enter" on the "Picture Mode" bar brings up a menu. Select and highlight "Expert 1" or "Expert 2" from the menu and press "Enter". Now scroll down to "Expert Control" and press "Enter". This should bring up a menu, scroll down to "Method" and using the left and right button select and press "Enter" when on "10 Point IRE", now pressing the down arrow button once should put you on the "IRE" bar. Pressing the left and right arrow button should scroll you through the different 10 Point IRE settings (in multiples of 10 up to 100). Once on the IRE setting pressing down on the arrow button should bring you to the different "Red", "Green", and "Blue" settings and the 'Color Management" menu. Input the desired settings under each of the different IRE values and then under the "Color Management" menu (You only have to input the "Color Management" settings once not each time you change the IRE value and you don't have to push "Enter" each time you change a value here). When you're done press the "Menu" button to exit and save your settings. Double check by entering the menu again and checking to see if they're all saved. You have to do this for every input that's being used. If you can't see any option I mentioned after doing as I've outlined then there's something amiss that I haven't encountered yet. If you use the settings posted back on pg. 10 (I believe) by Homie this will be a good staring point. I've only really had to change the the color and brightness settings for each input. If you need further assistance I'm off of work for a week and obviously don't mind typing long involved replies.
post #813 of 837 Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the very detailed response MCO!
Kinda was at this point already but in the "expert control" menu (when Expert 1 is selected) I don't have a "method" option to change to 10-point. All I have is

Fresh Contrast
Noise Reduction
Gamma
Black Level (which is greyed out)
Real Cinema
TruMotion
Colour Standard
White Balance
And then I have the red contrast, etc and Colour Management System.

So... not sure where my "method" bit has gone!!
Any suggestions??
post #814 of 837 Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 AM
mco

Perhaps the not so obvious should be asked? Are you located in Europe? I ask because I believe that the "YD" in your model. which mine (42LG70) doesn't include, denotes a European model. The settings you're looking to change may or may not be available with the 42LG70YD and only with US models. I could've asked (didn't remember this info. until I looked a your post more closely this time and noticed the difference in model # from mine) this first and avoided my previous post which would only apply if it was an American or similiar set?
post #815 of 837 Old 11-26-2009, 04:24 PM

Hey guys,

Forgive me, this is my first post and I found this place trying to diagnos a problem with my 42LG70. I have recently (within the last month or so) noticed a line running right down the middle of the set from top to bottom. It only happens on non-HD feed stations and usually on a bright blue background, but it's there randomly on non-HD feed television shows. On commercials it is hit and miss, but the shows is when it really is noticeable. It's only on component feed, and it doesn't matter which input, I've checked one and two both with different sets of cables. On HD feed stations there is no problem, no line at all. On HDMI feed from my PS3/BluRay there is no issue, not even noticeable at this point. On regular RCA for the Wii, no issues. DVD player with component cables (both with same cables as I tried with the television) also no problems.

I can't localize this problem to either the television or the receiver. Any other ideas? (I've also played with settings like TruMotion, etc.) It's still under warranty and I want to get the problem resolved ASAP if it is the television, but I'm not sold that it is, but I'm not sold that it isn't either. I'll be calling LG tomorrow when I get home from work, but thought you guys would be at least as useful as them.

Thanks in advance.
post #816 of 837 Old 11-26-2009, 06:43 PM
mco

So this problem is occuring with only the 2 component inputs and then only when using (?) a cablebox for tv watching (what is outputting the signal to the tv via component and causing problems?... a cablebox?) All other inputs show no problems and even the component inputs act up depending on what's connected and then also depending with what is showing (No problems with HD only SD)? You have hooked up other things via component with the same cables with no problems?
post #817 of 837 Old 11-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Exactly. I've connected a DVD player using the same cables in the same input and no problems. I've also had it anothe component input with no problems, and that input has problems with the receiver (satellitle box). I had to work late, so I couldn't call LG, but someone at work said to call my service provider too as they will probably replace the receiver if they even think that might be it (apparently they have great service.) I'm watching Law and Order right now and it looks fine unless there is red across the middle. It seems to be right in the middle, straight down and it'sa bit darker than the rest, but not dead. On bright backgrounds it looks rather streaky fading from the brightness to the darker colours.

But no, on HDMI there is no problems, on HD feed there is no problems. That's why I can't seem to localize the problem thus far.
post #818 of 837 Old 12-14-2009, 06:43 PM

A little update. I called LG about a week ago and they didn't give me any hassle on the phone. Tried a reset, but that didn't clear up the problem, and they let me talk to them about what I had already tried before talking to them and went from there as opposed to pretending like I didn't really try it. They gave me a number for the tech guy in my area, he came in the next day and right away localized the problem to the main board, which he said is good because it's an easier fix. He ordered the part and said he can fix it in my house when it comes in, all on LG's bill. He said the part will clear up both of my issues and that the line is definitely not the receiver.
post #819 of 837 Old 12-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Hello All...

Well I just finished reading all 28 pages! LOL learned alot!

I have had my 52LG70 for just over a year now and have loved every minute of it.

First I want to thank HOMIE - The calibration information you posted works AMAZING!!! Didn't think the PQ could get better but you proved me wrong! LOL

Here is my list of questions:

1) Has anyone found a firmware update for the 52LG70?
The reason I ask is I am having issues with my star choice received and HDCP non-compliance issues. Star Choice is dragging their freakin feet on updating their firmware so I am hoping that maybe by update the T.V.'s it will help to eliminate the problem.

2) Optical Audio - I have seen a few different configurations for how people are running their Optical Audio. My question is for those who have a Home Theater Audio Receiver (I just received an HTR-6280 as a present from my wife) and I want to be able to optimize the audio at all times. Thus should I run the audio feed from the T.V. to the receiver or from the Satellite Dish Box to the receiver.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad.
post #820 of 837 Old 12-27-2009, 06:33 PM

Came across this thread from a search of others having issues with the 40LG70 and certain devices not working on HDMI ports 1-3 on the 40LG70. In my case, have a 360 that flickers on HDMI 1-3 but works fine on 4. Just got a Sony BDP-S360 and on HDMI 1-3 have some serious snow, but it works on HDMI 4 no problem. But that meant I had to swap whenever I wanted to play the 360 or watch a BD movie. So I hooked the Sony BD back up to HDMI 3 and put in a movie which autostarts. Once the movie began, there was no more snow. So I started going through the video settings on the Sony BD and ended up changing the YCbCr settings to 4:2:2 from Auto. No more snow on the Sony menu screen and BD's play fine. As a test, I switched it to YCbCr 4:4:4 and got the snow on the menu screen and no snow during the movies. So I'm assuming once the movie started, the Auto setting kicked in and bumped it down to 4:2:2. Anyways, did a bit more research and changing this setting shouldn't result in a noticeable degradation in quality. Hope this helps someone out.
post #821 of 837 Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 PM

I have a 47lg70 TV that for the most part I love. I have a panasonic home theatre plugged into HDMI 1 port on the back HDMI/DVI IN section and video input and output cables from the panasonic to COMPONENT IN section. This is located next to the TV. I have dish network and the DISH PLAYER-DVR 625is in my bedroom not located near the TV. There are no other components. My problem is that randomly, my TV will act like I have pushed a button on my remote control for the Satellite box. The channel may change, or the info on the channel I am on will appear. LG sent out a tech who changed the board on the back of the tv as well as the little board where the volume and channel buttons are. It still does it though, and a new odd problem popped up where a msg will come on from dish network saying due to inactivity it is going to power off. Is the problem from the TV still, or is it my dish network box, or is it my remote?

I would like to say I have not touched any of the settings except bright and dark. I love my tv, but I came direct from an old tube set, so maybe I don't know any better. One day maybe I'll try the calibrations suggested, but for me now, the fact that the glare is gone (I am in a room full of windows) I am very happy.
post #822 of 837 Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallcompany View Post

I have a 47lg70 TV that for the most part I love. I have a panasonic home theatre plugged into HDMI 1 port on the back HDMI/DVI IN section and video input and output cables from the panasonic to COMPONENT IN section. This is located next to the TV. I have dish network and the DISH PLAYER-DVR 625is in my bedroom not located near the TV. There are no other components. My problem is that randomly, my TV will act like I have pushed a button on my remote control for the Satellite box. The channel may change, or the info on the channel I am on will appear. LG sent out a tech who changed the board on the back of the tv as well as the little board where the volume and channel buttons are. It still does it though, and a new odd problem popped up where a msg will come on from dish network saying due to inactivity it is going to power off. Is the problem from the TV still, or is it my dish network box, or is it my remote?

I would like to say I have not touched any of the settings except bright and dark. I love my tv, but I came direct from an old tube set, so maybe I don't know any better. One day maybe I'll try the calibrations suggested, but for me now, the fact that the glare is gone (I am in a room full of windows) I am very happy.

Hey MC,

I have a Dish 722 and the 40lg70 and I am definitely not an expert on either of them. It could be that your buttons on the remote are sticking. Where is the remote when this happens? Maybe you accidently push a button if it's under a cushion or are sitting on it. Sometimes my dog or cat will walk across the couch and step on the remote and change the channel by accident. Is the remote you are using the #1 or #2 remote. You possibly may be getting signals from another remote that is controlling the DVR.

As far as the inactivity message you are getting. There is a setting for inactivity standby on your DVR. I have mine set at 4 hours. Select MENU-8-8 and check what you have defined.

If you are still having problems you can always contact Dish support. They have always been pretty helpful when I have contacted them with stuff.
post #823 of 837 Old 02-10-2010, 12:37 PM

Just wondering if any owners of 52LG70 or 47LG70 would be willing to sell their stand (only if you have wall mounted)? I need to get a replacement stand and have been having issues (my set is actually 47LG90 but I understand the stands are compatible). If so PM me.
Thanks,
RabidBunny
post #824 of 837 Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Hi all,

I have a 47lg70. I was playing playstation 3, using the 4th HDMI port because that's all that works with the PS3, and all of the sudden the screen went black. The TV still has sound and everything just no picture. So I called the technician and had them come out to see what was wrong, I have owned the TV for 1 year and 3 months just out of warranty and like an idiot I did not buy the extended. The reapair technician said it was the board on the right. I did some research and found out it is the voltage inverter / ballast board. The one on the right, facing the back of the screen is the slave the one on the left is the master. I have found the numbers on the board and plan on buying and replacing it myself, because the technicians wish to charge a lot of money just to unplug and replug in a board. My question is does anyone know which boards are compatible?

I have a 6632l-0487B
Some sites that I have visited say that a 6632l-0526C is the board to use. Can anyone confirm this or point me in the correct direction?

Thanks,
qualm
post #825 of 837 Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Cannot help you with the replacement board but you can try to fix the original one. The most common failure point are the electrolytic capacitors (the 2 metal can looking parts). You can tell is they have gone bad by visual inspection. The top of the can should be completely flat should not be any bulging. Please keep us updated on your repairs.
post #826 of 837 Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 PM

I see no bulging at all on any of the electrolytic capacitors. I did find the 6632l-0487B inverter slave on shopjimmy.com and will probably buy one and have it sent out. I have already taken out the old one and everything just unplugs so the swap should be easy. I am just curious if the master and slave should be replaced at the same time? Will the master make the slave go bad?

Thanks
post #827 of 837 Old 02-27-2010, 05:56 AM

On my 42lg70 series when playing my samsung blu-ray on the hdmi using mono-price 24gauge cables the picture is crisp but into the movie the tv will do a quick flicker a static noise and the sound goes off. You must hit the volumn control for sound again and does it quite often.
post #828 of 837 Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 PM

I think this is a software problem with the LG unit because it does the same thing with my RCA and Samsung DVD player via HDMI cable.
post #829 of 837 Old 04-04-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
The wife decided to rearrange the basement into a home theatre centre and use the existing 47LG70. (September 2008 build) Ran into problems with Grey bars on the sides 4X3 video inputs. Traced to the DirecTV receiver that defaulted back to some weird settings while being unplugged. No problems with any of the HDMI inputs. Could not calibrate in that couldn't get Red, Green or Blue to pull into the 2.22 or 2.35 Gamma at 100% White - OK at 90IRE but you need the 100IRE to pull in first. (Any clues on this?) CNET have pulled their settings from their site for the 47LG70, unless they hide them somewhere else now. So thank you Hommie for having your settings on this website. The 47LG70 looks great. After calibrating 55LH90's with ease, trying to do the same on the 47LG70 was like going back into the dinosaur age! Use only HDMI 1.3b cables. No problems.
After reading all 28 pages of this Forum, noticed several things:
A lot of the HDMI problems seem to stem from cheaply made HDMI cables! Probably shorting out the Inputs? Problems seemed be resolved once the owner got repairs made then purchased better quality cables. A 24 Gage cable should be a better purchase than getting the 28Gage. In regards to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc - one look at open box specials at Amazon makes you wonder at the return rate of any of these brands - Samsung leads the pack!
So once again Hommie, thanks for your work and settings.

The 47LG70 has now been moved back upstairs to the wife's loft where it was previously, but this time with Hommi's/CNET's settings. It just blows your mind how fabulous this set can get! Don't think it's going to ever move from this spot!

The picture has stabilized and has had to have no further adjustments, almost tempted to take it back from the wife the PQ is so good, but after getting use to the 55LH90, I think size wise, I'd rather go up to the new 72" LX9500, if anything. (Pending on certain problems being solved - high refectivity, banding and those square attributes around objects when you have a Black Background.)
Wife said purchasing the 72" was a no, no. Have now purchased one of the last Matte Screened LGs - the 55LHX.

The 47LG70, have stopped watching it - the wife has it set to her tastes - Bright Neon Sign Look!

Well, the 47LG70 has been sold to my daughter, where I assume it's likely will continue to please my daughter and her family for many more years to come. With the CNET settings, it still has a great picture! Bumped by my old 55LH90, that was bumped by the new 55LHX.
post #830 of 837 Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Hi Folks, this is a firt time post and a long shot. I have had a 47LG70 for 18 months and two days ago I was hit with the 'black screen'. The TV was being used and just went of and now will not do anything other that the power on light working, the screen remains blank - totally!

Has anyone ever suffered from this or heard of it and more importantly any idea of the cause. I am happy to change aboard or component as the TV is out of warranty.

Other than that I have found the TV to be great and awesome on the HD side of things.

Many thanks

SM
post #831 of 837 Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by spannermonkey View Post

Hi Folks, this is a firt time post and a long shot. I have had a 47LG70 for 18 months and two days ago I was hit with the 'black screen'. The TV was being used and just went of and now will not do anything other that the power on light working, the screen remains blank - totally!

Has anyone ever suffered from this or heard of it and more importantly any idea of the cause. I am happy to change aboard or component as the TV is out of warranty.

Other than that I have found the TV to be great and awesome on the HD side of things.

Many thanks

SM

Unplug from the wall for a day to allow unit to reset. Plug back in and retry.
post #832 of 837 Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannermonkey View Post

Many thanks

SM

Happened with my 52LG70 about 9 months into my original warrantee. LG replaced the power supply board under warrantee and I bought an additional 12 month extended warrantee from LG. The part number from the service invoice was EAY41752701 and they're about $100 on shopjimmy.com - not sure if it is the same part in the 47LG70, I would guess not.
post #833 of 837 Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
I'm a 42LG70 owner now since Jan. of 08'. LOVE it. I also turn off the "TruMotion" and notice less jiggies and jaggies. I upgraded my HT to the LG50PS30, I gotta say, I do miss the picture my 42 put out.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #834 of 837 Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well it's been 2-3 years now, how have your LG70's been holding up?
My 42LG70 & 52LG70 are still stunning even with today's TV's.

Jessica

Whats a nice guy like you doing in a place like this?
post #835 of 837 Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Three years for me and no complaints, works just as well as it did on day one.
post #836 of 837 Old 12-05-2011, 12:26 PM

Same here. Great picture and no problems. I do wish there were some way to turn off the "intelligent sensor" message that keeps popping up whenever you turn a light on or off when using the Intelligent Sensor mode.
post #837 of 837 Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know where I can get the latest firmware update for any of the LG70 series.

Apparently it will upate the TV to play video through the USB input off a USB stick.

As of now it only plays .jpg (pictures) and audio files.

Thanks; Jessica

Whats a nice guy like you doing in a place like this?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page