Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 837 Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9874 View Post

I went to look at them today, and you're absolutely right. I'm buying my 52LG70 on Friday, and saving $450 for Christmas gifts. Can't wait!

Glad you made the smarter purchase. You're basically paying 400+ dollars more just because of the name. No thanks! The LG70 uses LG's Super-IPS panel so it compares very well to the Samsung a650 and the Sony 52W411. The Samsung has slightly better blacks than the LG but I think the LG has the better looking colors and slightly wider optimal viewing angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 837 Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDaClown View Post

Glad you made the smarter purchase. You're basically paying 400+ dollars more just because of the name. No thanks! The LG70 uses LG's Super-IPS panel so it compares very well to the Samsung a650 and the Sony 52W411. The Samsung has slightly better blacks than the LG but I think the LG has the better looking colors and slightly wider optimal viewing angle.

The colors and smoothness of the picture are really impressive.
post #93 of 837 Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Hi all -

I am very interested in this set. One thing I can't find:

does it have xvYCC and Deep Color, or just the latter?
post #94 of 837 Old 11-05-2008, 04:25 PM

I do not see anything in the specs referencing xvYCC.
post #95 of 837 Old 11-06-2008, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
I've had my 52LG70 for a little over a month now and I've had no real issues. I've watched sports, movies, played games. The only issue sometimes I have to adjust the brightness depending on whats playing. Black level's are ok, not much worse then my XBR4, and something I can live with since I'd have to pay 4x as much for an local dimming LCD right now.

One thing that still annoys me is the stand. I've tried tightening the screws but it still wobbles if someone jumps in the room. I'm thinking about getting black foam or something to help prop it up.
post #96 of 837 Old 11-06-2008, 02:46 PM

I was just about to ask about this too. Ive been checking this set out at Fry's and when i mess around or try to rotate it on its base, it wobbles left and right pretty bad. Nowhere near as bad as the tugboat rocking of the Scarlet, but significantly worse than the Samsung/Sony even the Olevia I currently own.

Also, the black piano finish looks nice, but on the bottom bezel, where it meets the chrome trim that connects to the power "button," it looks kind of pinched every few inches along that trim. Nitpicking I know, but I was just as bad a stickler when I painted speaker enclosures. Is this the same on everyone else's set?
post #97 of 837 Old 11-07-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Not that anyone cares, but I thought I'd post an update. Amazon has a sweet deal on Sony HDTVs. (Hate that I can't post details here! PM me if you want specifics.) Basically, I got the 52W4100 and a BDP-S350 blu-ray player (for the folks' Christmas gift) for $100 more than the LG.
post #98 of 837 Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machineo View Post

I was just about to ask about this too. Ive been checking this set out at Fry's and when i mess around or try to rotate it on its base, it wobbles left and right pretty bad. Nowhere near as bad as the tugboat rocking of the Scarlet, but significantly worse than the Samsung/Sony even the Olevia I currently own.

Also, the black piano finish looks nice, but on the bottom bezel, where it meets the chrome trim that connects to the power "button," it looks kind of pinched every few inches along that trim. Nitpicking I know, but I was just as bad a stickler when I painted speaker enclosures. Is this the same on everyone else's set?

I noticed that too after staring at the bezel for while, this is normal. I would think most of us nitpick if we spent over $1000 on anything...at least I do.

FYI, For those who got their LG mounted on top of a fireplace; I started experiencing a slight buzzing sound (speaker or something internal by the speakers) after turning on my gas fireplace on a cold night. I got worried, but after reading the manual, it states that any fast change in room temperature/humidity will cause this. Problem went away after turning off the TV and fireplace for an hour (after room temp went back down).
post #99 of 837 Old 11-09-2008, 12:27 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Brandsmart has an excellent price on the 47". My sister just picked one up.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #100 of 837 Old 11-10-2008, 08:24 AM

I just picked up the lg70 series the other day from PC Richard and Sons. The price was very nice and Lg was promoting a 2 year finance which mad my choice very easy. I was out to buy the toshiba 40 xf550 or the toshiba 42vx545 but nobody in the area was carrrying them. I also loooked at the samsung 750 series 42" very nice and the sharp 85 series and the se 94 series in 46". After looking at the and the price /promo the Lg was a good buy and I'm very happy with it. For those of you who might ask about the scarlet 60 series I didn't like the long bottom of the LCD. Picture was basically the same and both handle a hockey game very well.My hdmi cables and mounting bracket are from Monoprice the tv uses Cablevision Optimum and my dvd is the Samsung bd-p2550 (a must recommend). It plays the standard dvds on the Lg series 70 perfectly. Thanks again for your help and enjoy the Holiday..
post #101 of 837 Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 AM

For anyone looking to get the 52LG70, the VESA mount is 850X450. I had my Sharp 46" mounted but replaced it with the 52" and found that my mount was not large enough. A hassle to get that all replaced too, but worth it. The picture looks fantastic after hours and hours of tweaking using the settings posted earlier in this thread.
post #102 of 837 Old 11-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synnyster View Post

For anyone looking to get the 52LG70, the VESA mount is 850X450. I had my Sharp 46" mounted but replaced it with the 52" and found that my mount was not large enough. A hassle to get that all replaced too, but worth it. The picture looks fantastic after hours and hours of tweaking using the settings posted earlier in this thread.

post your settings then :P...spending hours on that earns the right for us to try them out.
post #103 of 837 Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM

I've had this set for a little over a month now, and I must say, this thing is AWESOME!

If I could recommend one thing, keep the trumotion to low for everything, high is just a little too blurry but low is perfect. I dont even need a blu-ray player to be jawdropped by movies, either. I have a high quality Onkyo upscaling dvd player that does a fantastic job!

I'm loving this TV and get nothing but compliments from everyone! Strongly recommend it.
post #104 of 837 Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 AM

**deleted**
post #105 of 837 Old 11-12-2008, 03:45 PM

Okay, after hours and hours of tweaking and retweaking, I think I've finally come up with something I can live with. The hardest part I had was trying to get reds to look good. This is my best try at having true reds show:

Expert1 -
Backlight: 38
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 52
Sharpness: 62
Color: 54
Tint: 0

Expert Control -
Fresh Contrast: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
TruMotion - Off
Color Standard: HD

White Balance: Medium
Method: 10 Point IRE

IRE 10 -
Red: 2
Green: 2
Blue: -16
IRE 20 -
Red: -6
Green: 0
Blue: -7
IRE 30 -
Red: -5
Blue: -4
IRE 40 -
Red: -8
IRE 50 -
Red: -4
Green: 4
IRE 60 -
Green: 6
Blue: -5
IRE 70 -
Green: 3
Blue: -10
IRE 80 -
Green: 7
IRE 90 -
Red: -9
Green: 5
Blue: -18
IRE 100 -
Red: -10
Blue: -9

Red Color: 2
Red Tint: 8
Green Color: 5
Green Tint: -10
Blue Color: 2
Blue Tint: 8
Yellow Color: 15
Yellow Tint: 4
Cyan Color: -8
Cyan Tint: 0
Magenta Color: 0
Magenta Tint: -1
post #106 of 837 Old 11-12-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhj View Post

I do not see anything in the specs referencing xvYCC.

See this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XvYCC

HDMI version 1.3 has both wide color gamut and deep color. In reviewing the spec sheet on the LG70 series I note a feature called "wide color control" which I suspect is their poorly translated attempt at indicating that this model does indeed support a wide color gamut and deep color, both features being enabled by the HDMI 1.3 specification.
post #107 of 837 Old 11-12-2008, 05:32 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for posting your settings and all the helpful information here. It has been a tremendous help.

I used the hdmi cables and it has made a pretty big difference. The att guy that set up my uverse said he liked using the old component wires instead of hdmi, not sure why now.

Thanks again everyone.

I just purchased the 42lg70 and really like it. Still trying different settings, but so far the set is amazing.
post #108 of 837 Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdewey View Post

HDMI version 1.3 has both wide color gamut and deep color. In reviewing the spec sheet on the LG70 series I note a feature called "wide color control" which I suspect is their poorly translated attempt at indicating that this model does indeed support a wide color gamut and deep color, both features being enabled by the HDMI 1.3 specification.

My LG 52LG70 certainly has great colors compared to ALL of the plasma TVs I have seen and my old CRT based RPTV. Even watching reruns of the original Startrek, I was amazed at the colors and how black SPACE looked. The LG is great compared to all the other TVs I have had. I don't see how the colors could get any better without the picture becoming over-saturated.

I have my TV setup in front of glass doors so I can see my back yard and the TV at the same time. The contrast and colors on my TV are just as good as the real life image of my back yard. A TV still looks like a TV because it is a two dimensional image, but the other aspects of the picture as very, very close to being as good as the real thing.

IB
post #109 of 837 Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synnyster View Post

Okay, after hours and hours of tweaking and retweaking, I think I've finally come up with something I can live with. The hardest part I had was trying to get reds to look good. This is my best try at having true reds show:

Expert1 -
Backlight: 38
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 52
Sharpness: 62
Color: 54
Tint: 0

Expert Control -
Fresh Contrast: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
TruMotion - Off
Color Standard: HD

White Balance: Medium
Method: 10 Point IRE

IRE 10 -
Red: 2
Green: 2
IRE 20 -
Blue: -7
IRE 30 -
Red: -5
IRE 40 -
IRE 50 -
Red: -4
IRE 60 -
Green: 6
Blue: -5
IRE 70 -
Green: 3
Blue: -10
IRE 80 -
Green: 7
IRE 90 -
Red: -9
Green: 5
Blue: -18
IRE 100 -
Red: -10
Blue: -9

Red Color: 2
Red Tint: 8
Green Color: 5
Green Tint: -10
Blue Color: 2
Blue Tint: 8
Yellow Color: 15
Yellow Tint: 4
Cyan Color: -8
Cyan Tint: 0
Magenta Color: 0
Magenta Tint: -1

What tools did you use to tweak the expert settings??
post #110 of 837 Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:

What tools did you use to tweak the expert settings??

Just my eyes! I used the original settings someone posted from the UltimateAV website and then adjusted according to my eyes.
post #111 of 837 Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Hey everyone..
i noticed the 47lg70 on sale at a big box store yesterday and was interested in it...
speaking to a sales guy he kinda kept hinting at the fact that lg isn't up to par with sony or samsung or sharp, and pointed me towards the ln46a650 wich btw looks very impressive as well but the price tag diff was even more noticable than a side by side colour comparison :P
he also mentioned a huge return ratio to lg tvs but not this one in particular since it hasn't been out for very long....
basically i need convincing, or should save up the extra couple of hundreds for a 650 or 630?
post #112 of 837 Old 11-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by help_me_please View Post

Hey everyone..
i noticed the 47lg70 on sale at a big box store yesterday and was interested in it...
speaking to a sales guy he kinda kept hinting at the fact that lg isn't up to par with sony or samsung or sharp, and pointed me towards the ln46a650 wich btw looks very impressive as well but the price tag diff was even more noticable than a side by side colour comparison :P
he also mentioned a huge return ratio to lg tvs but not this one in particular since it hasn't been out for very long....
basically i need convincing, or should save up the extra couple of hundreds for a 650 or 630?

I've had the 52LG70 for about 6 weeks now and I'm very happy with it. Regarding the returns on LG's I have 2 points for you to consider:

1) I did have to return my 1st 52LG70 when after getting it home (and wall mounted) there was no picture, although when I did get it back to CC it worked when we plugged it in In the end I brought a 2nd unit home and it's worked flawlessly since. There must have been something loose in the original unit that caused it to start working again once I was back @ the store.

2) I've owned a 47" LG LB5D (60Hz, 1080p) for about 2 years now and I've never had an issue with it - it also has an awsome picture and I've been very happy with it.

I've never owned a Samsung, but when I compared the LG to one in the stores I prefered the LG picture - I would not have been opposed to spending a few hundred extra if the picture was better, but in my opinion it simply wasn't. I've no complaints with the black levels or viewing angles that some non-LG owning, Samsung lovers seem to point out are lacking in the LG.

Bottom line, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the LG.
post #113 of 837 Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Hey everyone..

It is my understanding that sales rep get a better commission for selling a Samsung vs an LG.
post #114 of 837 Old 11-13-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Hey everyone..

All the people I spoke to recommended Samsung. Even in this forum majority would tell you the same. However, I trust my eyes more and went ahead for the LG.
I have it for 2 months now. Man, this is the best TV I ever had. Much better than my CRT tube.
I am glad I did not follow the crowd.
post #115 of 837 Old 11-14-2008, 07:19 AM

i don't know about the commission thing as i am not in sales nor do i know anyone who sells TVs
i own a 720p lg lcd right now that is pretty good but looking for a big purchase with all the features of 1080p and 120hz was thinking it might be safer with a better known brand...
thanks for the response guys, still on the fence on this one
post #116 of 837 Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:

i don't know about the commission thing as i am not in sales nor do i know anyone who sells TVs
i own a 720p lg lcd right now that is pretty good but looking for a big purchase with all the features of 1080p and 120hz was thinking it might be safer with a better known brand...
thanks for the response guys, still on the fence on this one

Better known brands? LG might not be as renowned as Sony or Samsung in the TV department, but it certainly is not a small unknown brand. LG makes everything from washers and dryers to mobile phones and TVs.
post #117 of 837 Old 11-15-2008, 05:41 PM

I need some help. My lcd started showing half a picture the bottom half being a blurred black and white lines. It's not the cablebox nor the samsung blueray player and did check the hdmi connects all good. When i press the menue on the lg the display struggles to come on and doesn't show all the way. I also unplugged the lcd for about 20 minutes and replugged with no change.
post #118 of 837 Old 11-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Hi all,

Just picked it up today at BB for $1599 (was between it, the 42" model and a 46" aquos). Part of the reason I went with the LG was the volume leveling option which the Sharp didn't appear to have when comparing them. Plus LG stuff is usually pretty good quality IMHO. Now to find time to troll through here looking at what folks have for settings. I have a PS3, HD cable/DVR (comcast) and a Wii hooked to it. Moving 32" CRT HDTV to bedroom next weekend as I don't have time to do that right now. This thing is HUGE! I could have gotten by with the 42" but for $200 more I figured I'd be happier down the road.

Mike
post #119 of 837 Old 11-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkenedsoul View Post

Hi all,

Just picked it up today at BB for $1599 (was between it, the 42" model and a 46" aquos).

Mike

Just picked up what?
post #120 of 837 Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 AM

42 inch LG ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page