Samsung LN52A850 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 308 Old 05-28-2009, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The sound isn't all that great with this TV because of the thin profile and small speakers it has to use. You can make it a bit better by tweaking some settings in the user menu.

First, turn on the SRS Surround Sound. Also, play with the equalizer a bit. Those two should make it sound noticeably better than the factory default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 308 Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virp123 View Post

Their is no major difference between samsung 650 & 850. The only difference is 850 has blue bezel instead of red & its the thin model compared to 650.
So save money and go for 650.

what about 750 series.

and also what are the differences between LN52A750 and LN52B750 besides contrast ratio and response time. LN52A750 good deal at amazon quite reasonable price to me http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52A750-52-Inch-1080p-Touch/dp/B001418WF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243523658&sr=1-1
post #273 of 308 Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 PM

I'm cnnsidering samsung 650/750/850. How's the PQ on SD channels?
post #274 of 308 Old 02-13-2010, 08:23 AM

I've had this tv (LN52A850) for over a year. Best pic I've ever seen on a tv! I do have 2 issues and I believe they are related. One is the halo issue (I think). While watching sports the ball, puck, looks like it has ( ) around it. I've had real cheap tvs that never had this issue. Also in the info box it is always at 60Hz. I've gone through all the settings and can not figure out how to change this. I hope there is an easy fix. But like I said its been this way for over a year. I still love it but could be just a little better.
post #275 of 308 Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Koz

I can't answer the first question but the 60 Hz is all the lcd will display because that's the incoming Hz. The lcd is always outputting 120 Hz. So you're good as far as that goes.
post #276 of 308 Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Wanted to compare this TV to some others. But - I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know where it might be sold in the Toronto area? No BB, no FS, no Brick, no AV2001 - no where I've checked has it... anyone on the thread knows of any places where it's still available???

Thanks
post #277 of 308 Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Murphy's Law... My LN52A860 gets a vertical line on startup on the bloody 19th month of ownership. It goes away after about 7 minutes but obviously this is the start of the end. Completely hate Samsung right now and they are making it a pain to even open a support call. Anyone know what the cost is going to be to get the screen fixed? Anyone else have the screen fixed and the picture is now degraded?

I loved this TV and the picture was flawless but this sucks big time for a $3000 TV. Consumer electronics quality has gone down the shitter and I will not support companies making crap that doesnt last anymore. I'm waiting to find out how much they are going to leech out of me know. I own two Samsungs (LN52A860 main and a LN40A630 bedroom and two Samsung bluray players)
post #278 of 308 Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 AM

I bought my Samsung LN52A850 about 2 years ago from Amazon. Overall very pleased with everything about this set.

However, in the past week the TV seems to longer send an audio signal out from the rear RCA (red/white) audio jacks. I have the audio menu set to "External Speaker" but it does not seem to output any sound anymore. I have tried resetting the sound settings to no avail, and I cannot even get the TV speakers to produce sound (causing me to suspect the HDMI source from my AV receiver-mentioned below). I use the RCA audio out for an external wireless headphone system (Sennheiser RS180) so we can listen to TV/movies late at night with kids asleep.

I have also tested the headphone audio jack on the left panel, and it too does not seem to produce any sound either.

My source to the TV is HDMI from a Sony HT-CT100 which is in turn connected to my HD cable box and a Sony PS3 (both outputting HDMI). My audio from the Sony HT-CT100 works fine for both cable and PS3 signals. It seems that there may be a problem with the audio via HDMI once it gets to the TV, as I cannot get audio via the TV speakers, headphone out jack on the side panel, or the RCA audio out jacks on the back panel.

Any ideas as to why the audio out would cease to work?
post #279 of 308 Old 04-24-2011, 04:18 PM
mdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstyle View Post

Murphy's Law... My LN52A860 gets a vertical line on startup on the bloody 19th month of ownership. It goes away after about 7 minutes but obviously this is the start of the end. Completely hate Samsung right now and they are making it a pain to even open a support call. Anyone know what the cost is going to be to get the screen fixed? Anyone else have the screen fixed and the picture is now degraded?

I loved this TV and the picture was flawless but this sucks big time for a $3000 TV. Consumer electronics quality has gone down the shitter and I will not support companies making crap that doesnt last anymore. I'm waiting to find out how much they are going to leech out of me know. I own two Samsungs (LN52A860 main and a LN40A630 bedroom and two Samsung bluray players)

jstyle, what was the ultimate resolution to the problem with your LN52A860 that had the vertical line problem? Did the problem get progressively worse? Did you ever get any feedback from Samsung on how much it would cost to fix out of warranty?

I also have this set and I've been having infrequent ghosting problems (kind of a double of the image on all input sources or OTA), and over the past couple days have also had the vertical line on the right side of the screen that goes away after a few minutes.

Also won't be happy if I have to shell out big $$$ to have it fixed or replaced on a set I've only had for a little over 2 years.
post #280 of 308 Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstyle View Post

I'm having this same issue. Has anyone gotten Samsung to fix this outside of warranty?
post #281 of 308 Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM
mdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerlex View Post

I'm having this same issue. Has anyone gotten Samsung to fix this outside of warranty?

See this thread:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...c;track-391250
post #282 of 308 Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was one of the first to buy a LN52A860 on 9/13/08 and didn't buy an extended warranty. But since you guys probably bought after me, you may still be covered, as follows:

The A860 had an 18 month warranty. If you registered online, that added 3 months. And, if you bought it with a Visa card that has a "Warranty Manager" feature, the card adds one year to all other warranties; Visa will reimburse you for repairs. So, for me, an early buyer, today is the end. You could still be covered.
post #283 of 308 Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
I was one of the first to buy a LN52A860 on 9/13/08 and didn't buy an extended warranty. But since you guys probably bought after me, you may still be covered, as follows:

The A860 had an 18 month warranty. If you registered online, that added 3 months. And, if you bought it with a Visa card that has a "Warranty Manager" feature, the card adds one year to all other warranties; Visa will reimburse you for repairs. So, for me, an early buyer, today is the end. You could still be covered.
WOW I still have two years left through Best Buy.

Its crazy, I didn't know this thread existed until today.
post #284 of 308 Old 06-14-2011, 06:12 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

WOW I still have two years left through Best Buy.

Its crazy, I didn't know this thread existed until today.

When my 2001 Sony 36XBR450 CRT (with external HD tuner) died after 5 1/2 years, Sony said there were no boards but I could send them to Japan and they'd try to fix them. It would take 3 months. So I gave it to a local TV repair shop and lamented the $2500 down the drain. I wasn't about to spend more money on any warranty when I bought the A860. Now I wish I had, especially since folks are getting broken sets replaced with new ones.

I did notice this thread originally, but the other one took off. I saw your recommendation for some D6xxx models on the "official" thread and I agree. A close friend will be asking for advice soon on a 55" model and it will be one of those. There are too many banding complaints on the D7000 and 8000s.
post #285 of 308 Old 06-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc View Post

See this thread:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...c;track-391250

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. I just got off the phone with Samsung and they are going to cover parts and labor I didn't even have to put up a fight.
post #286 of 308 Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. I just got off the phone with Samsung and they are going to cover parts and labor I didn't even have to put up a fight.

Let us know how it turns out.

mdc, thanks for the tip, we all may need it someday.
post #287 of 308 Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Let us know how it turns out.

mdc, thanks for the tip, we all may need it someday.

Just got the call from the repair center and they got the "warranty" info and they ordered the panel. When it comes in we'll set up the appointment.
post #288 of 308 Old 06-14-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When my 2001 Sony 36XBR450 CRT (with external HD tuner) died after 5 1/2 years, Sony said there were no boards but I could send them to Japan and they'd try to fix them. It would take 3 months. So I gave it to a local TV repair shop and lamented the $2500 down the drain. I wasn't about to spend more money on any warranty when I bought the A860. Now I wish I had, especially since folks are getting broken sets replaced with new ones.

I did notice this thread originally, but the other one took off. I saw your recommendation for some D6xxx models on the "official" thread and I agree. A close friend will be asking for advice soon on a 55" model and it will be one of those. There are too many banding complaints on the D7000 and 8000s.

Yeah, it kinda sucks that there isn't a realy good and similar replacement for the A850s/A860s.
post #289 of 308 Old 06-14-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got the call from the repair center and they got the "warranty" info and they ordered the panel. When it comes in we'll set up the appointment.

I hope the repairs go well. I would'nt want to replace this HDTV either.
post #290 of 308 Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:

Tech came out on Friday and replaced the display. It looks great now.

The replacement was a refurb. I'm wondering if they addressed the problem or if I am going to eventually have the same problem again. The tech wasn't able to answer this question.
post #291 of 308 Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Tech came out on Friday and replaced the display. It looks great now.

The replacement was a refurb. I'm wondering if they addressed the problem or if I am going to eventually have the same problem again. The tech wasn't able to answer this question.

New problem started this morning. This time its vertical lines. Stopped after about 10 mins. Looks like I'll be calling Samsung again. Gonna wait another day or two first to see how often it happens.

I attached an image of the new issue.
LL
post #292 of 308 Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

New problem started this morning. This time its horizontal lines. Stopped after about 10 mins. Looks like I'll be calling Samsung again. Gonna wait another day or two first to see how often it happens.

That sucks so bad. I hope they get it right this time.

I experienced electromagnetic interference for a few seconds because of Anynet+ HDMI-CEC static electrical buildups -that were horizontal.

This happened twice, first about two years ago and one last night.

Its all good now....It was a temporary thing and only on one input (the Anynet+ one).

I wonder if there are any new A850s/A860s left?
post #293 of 308 Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

New problem started this morning. This time its vertical lines. Stopped after about 10 mins. Looks like I'll be calling Samsung again. Gonna wait another day or two first to see how often it happens.

They are ordering another panel and are going to try this all over again. Took about a week to get the first replacement so I expect its going to be at least another 10 days before someone come out to replace it.
post #294 of 308 Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:

They are ordering another panel and are going to try this all over again. Took about a week to get the first replacement so I expect its going to be at least another 10 days before someone come out to replace it.

Got the "new" panel installed today. Hopefully this one holds up
post #295 of 308 Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep us posted.
post #296 of 308 Old 07-14-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good Luck...
post #297 of 308 Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
So, no lines with this panel but its got some serious clouding and very bright light from the lower left corner. See attached images. These images were taken during the day and the exposure wasn't that long.

Even with the backlight set to 0 its bad. I think its was set to 3 when I took these pix.

I went almost a week with this to see if it got better and if I would stop being distracted by it but its not good. I'll probably call Samsung to see what they say. The last two panels did not look this bad.
LL
LL
post #298 of 308 Old 07-20-2011, 01:12 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, no lines with this panel but its got some serious clouding and very bright light from the lower left corner. See attached images. These images were taken during the day and the exposure wasn't that long.

Even with the backlight set to 0 its bad. I think its was set to 3 when I took these pix.

I went almost a week with this to see if it got better and if I would stop being distracted by it but its not good. I'll probably call Samsung to see what they say. The last two panels did not look this bad.
While you're negotiating with Samsung, feel free to try my calibrated settings. Minor clouding on my 3-year old 52A860 has dissipated slightly over the years and is somewhat less than that in your photos. We watch everything in Movie with the backlight set to 3. Check out that I've turned off all picture processing options which could be helping to minimize clouding.

Since our picture has always been gorgeous, we made a conscious decision 3 years ago to ignore the clouding which only appears on a largely black screen. Since we record all programs on a DVR, we fast forward past commercials and their associated fade out black screens. And we don't watch film credits on blu rays, and I've trained myself not to fret when the set shuts down at bedtime. Here's a link to my calibrated settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19263507#post19263507
post #299 of 308 Old 07-20-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh No....Try placing Energy Settings: on Auto

You may need firmware 1002 or 1003 to access this.

This will help with the clouding, but probabily not that bright spot on the left.

You could also try my settings: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16665513

Honestly, I despite the headaches..I would call Samsung. Good Luck.
post #300 of 308 Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Called Samsung. They are going to setup an exchange and replace the TV with a new UN55D8000. There is a $450 out of warranty exchange fee but I think its a worthy upgrade .

I still need to find out what the warranty will be on the new set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page