post #91 of 308 Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by exsvcsinc View Post

I'm not too sure about that. I originally had a 650, but it had some dead or stuck pixels, so I exchanged it for another 650. To me, the second 650 that I had did not seem to have as good of a picture as the first 650. Same environment, same set up, same blurays, but the picture just wasn't as tight as the first one I had., and I really don't think the first one I had was incredible, I mean it was a good picture, but I wasn't blown away by it. Anyway, I then exchanged the 2nd 650 for a 750, and found the 750 to have a phenomenal picture. It handled digital sd signals extremely well, and the high def channels and blurays were spectacular. At this time, I had the 750 sitting on top of an older Mistsubishi projection tv, and because of the height, I could see the halo effect on every edge of the bezel. I eventually exchanged it for my 3rd 650, and once again found myself disappointed in the difference of picture quality. I know the specs are the same, but somehow, the picture quality of the 650 is not as good as the 750. The other issue I had was that the 650 - all three of them - did not handle motion as well as the 750. It didn't matter if it was set to high, medium or low, or even off. It was pretty jerky on slow pans and, compared to the 750, this is another area where I found it to be substandard. The first 650 had version 1003 (?) and the last two had the 2001 versions of firmware. Anyway, 3 650's, every setting / adjustment possible, and it still, to me anyway, came up short or the 750's pq.

Now, after hauling 4 52"ers back to BB to exchange them, which pretty much sucked each time, I think Samsung has finally got it right. The 850 is the 750 on steriods, and then slimmed down. The pq is amazing, just like the 750. The appearance of the set is ultra cool and very sleek. The toc is darker than the 650 and the 750, and is very subtle. It does have a swivel stand. The remote is more responsive, and the wheel does not have a mind of it's own. The toc on the on screen menu is kinda cool too. The auto motion plus seems more refined to me. I will occasionally see minimal blurring, but it seems to be very smooth. No more blurring on slow pans, which varied in intensity on the 650, but moreso on close ups with slow panning. The black levels are excellent, which I was concerned about with the tv being so slim. The squareness of the tv looks much better than the underbelly of the 650, although that tv is still very cool looking ~ just not as cool as the 750 or 8 series.

Anyway, I've had this tv for 2 weeks now, and have absolutely nothing bad to say about it at all ~ well, except that it is a little dust magnet ~ just like the 6 and 7 series.

It sounds like I may have paid a little more than some others will get it for ($3100), but, with my track record, I feel much more comfortable dealing with a store that will make sure I'm happy with my purchase, even if I am at 45 days like I was with my last 650. To me it was worth it though. I got my 650 for 2349 - big difference there, and my 750 for 2579 ~ but to finally have a tv that I am very happy with, is worth it.

Hopefully, here are some pictures of the 850.

Can you tell me how a solid black screen looks at night on this set? For instance, when you power the TV off at night in a totally dark room, do you see any evidence of clouding, faint or otherwise? Just curious because I couldn't see any on my set in daytime viewing, but last night I confirmed they were there. Another 850 owner complained of the same problem and exchanged his set. He seems to think he got one that didn't exhibit the problem. Just curious to see if you have noticed it. Some people don't watch movies in totally dark rooms, but I like to.

I'm with you, though. The picture is phenomenal on this TV.

One more thing, any stuck pixels on yours? I'm almost sorry I looked, but I found two.

GT: irunnoft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 308 Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

Are you experiencing any clouding or pixel problems like Irunnoft?

Thanks brother! Man. . . we are more alike than I thought!!!

post #93 of 308 Old 09-07-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I'm not too sure about that. I originally had a 650, but it had some dead or stuck pixels, so I exchanged it for another 650. To me, the second 650 that I had did not seem to have as good of a picture as the first 650. Same environment, same set up, same blurays, but the picture just wasn't as tight as the first one I had., and I really don't think the first one I had was incredible, I mean it was a good picture, but I wasn't blown away by it. Anyway, I then exchanged the 2nd 650 for a 750, and found the 750 to have a phenomenal picture. It handled digital sd signals extremely well, and the high def channels and blurays were spectacular. At this time, I had the 750 sitting on top of an older Mistsubishi projection tv, and because of the height, I could see the halo effect on every edge of the bezel. I eventually exchanged it for my 3rd 650, and once again found myself disappointed in the difference of picture quality. I know the specs are the same, but somehow, the picture quality of the 650 is not as good as the 750. The other issue I had was that the 650 - all three of them - did not handle motion as well as the 750. It didn't matter if it was set to high, medium or low, or even off. It was pretty jerky on slow pans and, compared to the 750, this is another area where I found it to be substandard. The first 650 had version 1003 (?) and the last two had the 2001 versions of firmware. Anyway, 3 650's, every setting / adjustment possible, and it still, to me anyway, came up short or the 750's pq.

One thing to remember is that the 650's processor is 12bit, single core whereas the 750's processor is 16bit, dual core. I'm certain that has something to do with the differences you're seeing. I'm guessing the 850 has the same processor as the 750.
post #94 of 308 Old 09-07-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler13 View Post

One thing to remember is that the 650's processor is 12bit, single core whereas the 750's processor is 16bit, dual core. I'm certain that has something to do with the differences you're seeing. I'm guessing the 850 has the same processor as the 750.

Ok, I didn't know that about the processor - makes sense then, because the 650 was nice, but not great. As far as stuck or dead pixels, I have zero. That's the first thing I check for upon delivery. There is some faint clouding with the tv on and no source, but it's pretty minimal. I do have some flashlighting in the upper right hand corner, but I've had some sort of clouding or flashlighting with every lcd I've ever owned, to some degree anyway. They have never been perfect in that regard. It almost seems like the flashlighting lessens a little bit as the set warms up though. It isn't bad enough to bother me. I was wrong about a previous posting of mine though, because setting energy saving to low did reduce it a tiny bit. I like to watch movies in the dark as well, but slight clouding and the brighter spot in the upper right corner have not been an issue for me. I'm pretty picky, and I'm very happy with this tv. Black levels are great - colors are amazing, pq is excellent, and it looks great, too.
post #95 of 308 Old 09-07-2008, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I didn't know that about the processor - makes sense then, because the 650 was nice, but not great. As far as stuck or dead pixels, I have zero. That's the first thing I check for upon delivery. There is some faint clouding with the tv on and no source, but it's pretty minimal. I do have some flashlighting in the upper right hand corner, but I've had some sort of clouding or flashlighting with every lcd I've ever owned, to some degree anyway. They have never been perfect in that regard. It almost seems like the flashlighting lessens a little bit as the set warms up though. It isn't bad enough to bother me. I was wrong about a previous posting of mine though, because setting energy saving to low did reduce it a tiny bit. I like to watch movies in the dark as well, but slight clouding and the brighter spot in the upper right corner have not been an issue for me. I'm pretty picky, and I'm very happy with this tv. Black levels are great - colors are amazing, pq is excellent, and it looks great, too.

I know some of what he said might sound crazy with regards to not being bothered by the clouds to some people, but it isn't *that* bad on my set either. I can see it only in scenes where the screen is mostly black. Again, the 300 Blu Ray I watched last night has a lot of dark scenes and blackness in certain shots (the scene with the wolf, for one), and the clouding wasn't overly bright. It was nothing nearly as bad as I endured with the XBR2. I'm afraid that all these sets might have this issue to a certain degree. They may all suffer from cloudiness. I even read in the series 9 thread that someone posted a comment about seeing flashlights on that model. I guess that's just the nature of the LCD beast.

Glad to know you don't have any stuck pixels. I guess I need to project a white screen on my TV to look for dead ones.

On a positive note, I did get a call in to Samsung tech support and was rather quickly given a service ticket for this TV. I reported the pixels and the cloudiness and the tech support told me that most likely the service center will replace my panel.

Anybody here ever have a panel replaced on their TV by a service center? Is that usually a bad thing to have done? Maybe I'll get the pixels and the cloudiness corrected. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can always just exchange the TV if it isn't fixed or if the PQ suffers after the panel replacement. The tech did tell me that since this TV is so new, the panel ordered to replace it should be brand new and not a reconditioned panel at all.

post #96 of 308 Old 09-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

I even read in the series 9 thread that someone posted a comment about seeing flashlights on that model. I guess that's just the nature of the LCD beast.

That was, of course, with LED smart lighting off that they saw clouding on the 9-series. That's something the local dimming compensates for, but you're right that the "clouding" is the nature of the beast with LCDs. Yet another reason I wish I could get a 950.
post #97 of 308 Old 09-08-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleitry View Post

registered for two reasons:
2. though I will visit my local b&m tweeter to confirm, it seems that the sale price has not trickled through the system. the price quoted to me over the phone was more like within $350 of the US Appliance price. the gas offer promotion seems tantalizing but according to tweeter one has to spend ~$100 per $25 gift card mailed back to you by the promoter.

In a Tweeter mailing, it shows the 860 52" @ $300. off list and 46" @ $250. off list. You are correct on the $500. gas card requirements.
post #98 of 308 Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seowfun View Post

For what it's worth, buy.com has very good price on the 52A850 as well, but it's not in stock yet.

Yes, their price is lower than US Appliance.
post #99 of 308 Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post

In a Tweeter mailing, it shows the 860 52" @ $300. off list and 46" @ $250. off list. You are correct on the $500. gas card requirements.

yeah, kyler13 pointed the way to the catalogue a couple of days ago. I probably won't go with tweeter because that's a good 550 higher than USA.

there's more info about buying possibilities at the samsung 2008 lcd thread over at SD.

looks like I have a bit more waiting to do if I go for the series 8. of course, all things considered, I would prefer to go with the 55950.
post #100 of 308 Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post

Yes, their price is lower than US Appliance.

US Appliance only has the 860 (which has a higher MSRP than the 850), which is why their price is higher.

Vizio XVT473SV: 47" FALD with 640 LED's and 160 Zones.

Seeking: 65"+ FALD UHD with 1,200+ LED's and 350+ Zones.
post #101 of 308 Old 09-08-2008, 01:24 PM

What is the "SD" thread or forum?

Thanks,

Mark
post #102 of 308 Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iugradmark View Post

What is the "SD" thread or forum?

Thanks,

Mark

forums.slickdeals.net

search for samsung 2008 lcd

it's the thread with a billion posts

gotta tell you though - no big surprises - gotta wait a while for a really good deal IMO
post #103 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I normally buy from CC or Crutchfeild due to their no hassle return polices but this deal from US Appliance is REALLY good.

They have the 860 on sale for $2,649.

I plan on ordering a 860 today and am just stuck between paying $3,499.99 at Crutchfield and knowing I can return it for any fickle reason that may come up or take a risk with US Appliance. Any thoughts on US Appliance other than what's been stated?
post #104 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by availingfaith View Post

I normally buy from CC or Crutchfeild due to their no hassle return polices but this deal from US Appliance is REALLY good.

They have the 860 on sale for $2,649.

I plan on ordering a 860 today and am just stuck between paying $3,499.99 at Crutchfield and knowing I can return it for any fickle reason that may come up or take a risk with US Appliance. Any thoughts on US Appliance other than what's been stated?

Just make absolutely sure that this is the exact set and size you want. If you choose curbside delivery (the free delivery option), you would only have 48 hours to notify US Appliance for a return and they'd only take it back if it had been damaged during the delivery process or if the set was a lemon/DOA. If you choose white glove service, the set is yours once you sign for it, period. I spoke to the head guy at US Appliance and this is what he told me about their policy. I'd call and do your own due diligence before purchasing to confirm. Remember that US Appliance is an authorized Samsung dealer, so I'm not sure if "risk" is necessarily the right word to use with them as they don't deal in gray market.

post #105 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

... the 860 ... has a higher MSRP than the 850 ...

Any reason why??
post #106 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

Any reason why??

One additional USB port, 6 month longer warranty, blue TOC instead of red. 860 apparently is more of a limited release as well.

post #107 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 PM

I just ordered the LN52A860 from Crutchfield. I ended up getting $500 off since I also ordered a full surround sound set-up.

I'll post a review and some pics when it comes in.
post #108 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey guys im about to order a ln46a850 from bestbuy i getting it because of the warranty i had on my lnt 4071. it kept stuttering, so they said i can have it replaced because it was my fourth service on the t.v. but heres the kicker the price of the ln46850 is 2699 on the bestbuy website but only 2399 on the circuit city website so i called them they said that they will price match and all i had to do was pay the difference of like a 100 or so dollars. so because of the warranty i get to get a t.v. that is six inches better has better picture no stuttering and lets hope for no dead pixels or clouded screen. that just goes to show you always get the warranty people. and for those with the t.v. can i see pictures of the tv sideways to see just how thick it is. also some pictures of 360 or ps3 games if its not so much to ask.
post #109 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballermike99 View Post

hey guys im about to order a ln46a850 from bestbuy i getting it because of the warranty i had on my lnt 4071. it kept stuttering, so they said i can have it replaced because it was my fourth service on the t.v. but heres the kicker the price of the ln46850 is 2699 on the bestbuy website but only 2399 on the circuit city website so i called them they said that they will price match and all i had to do was pay the difference of like a 100 or so dollars. so because of the warranty i get to get a t.v. that is six inches better has better picture no stuttering and lets hope for no dead pixels or clouded screen. that just goes to show you always get the warranty people. and for those with the t.v. can i see pictures of the tv sideways to see just how thick it is. also some pictures of 360 or ps3 games if its not so much to ask.

These pics from Crutchfield are for A860 but they should be the same for A850.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...46860&g=146350

Go 24
post #110 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks taurus do you have the t.v. by the way
post #111 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM

For those that have this set, is the lamp user replace-able? Due to how long my set is on each day, I find have to replace the lamps on my previous LCD's about once a year.
post #112 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Does the 850 suffer from the same "halo effect" the 750 does?
post #113 of 308 Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:

For those that have this set, is the lamp user replace-able? Due to how long my set is on each day, I find have to replace the lamps on my previous LCD's about once a year.

What are you talking about?

Flat panel LCDs don't have UHP bulbs that need replacing like RP DLP, RP LCD, and RP SXRD / DILA.
post #114 of 308 Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

What are you talking about?

Flat panel LCDs don't have UHP bulbs that need replacing like RP DLP, RP LCD, and RP SXRD / DILA.

So do they lose their bightness over time?

I know with my Sony RP LCD, changing the lamp once a year makes a huge difference.
post #115 of 308 Old 09-11-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballermike99 View Post

thanks taurus do you have the t.v. by the way

Not yet. Still waiting for a good price from some reputable online stores.

Go 24
post #116 of 308 Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:

So do they lose their bightness over time?

I know with my Sony RP LCD, changing the lamp once a year makes a huge difference.

Yes, they're half-brightness at something like 60,000 hrs and that works out to about 20 years at 8hrs/day. That's far longer than RP bulbs. Remember, your RP has a filament bulb whereas LCDs have flourescent bulbs. I suppose the dimming effect has to do with the aging of the white phosphor coating over time. In any event, CCFL bulbs are considered to last the life of the set and are therefore non-replaceable.
post #117 of 308 Old 09-11-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler13 View Post

Yes, they're half-brightness at something like 60,000 hrs and that works out to about 20 years at 8hrs/day. That's far longer than RP bulbs. Remember, your RP has a filament bulb whereas LCDs have flourescent bulbs. I suppose the dimming effect has to do with the aging of the white phosphor coating over time. In any event, CCFL bulbs are considered to last the life of the set and are therefore non-replaceable.

Thanks for the reply. I've mentioned it in other threads, maybe even this one, but my wife is severely disabled. Pretty much the only thing she can do for enjoyment is watch TV. Therefore our TV is on 18+ hours a day, sometimes more depending.

Our current Sony KDF has performed brilliantly under these conditions, with the exception of having to just replace the bulb.

Given my situation, I'm guessing the life of my new Samsung will be much less of what's advertised? Maybe 4-8years?
post #118 of 308 Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopdy View Post

Does the 850 suffer from the same "halo effect" the 750 does?

Anyone know the answer to this?
post #119 of 308 Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I've mentioned it in other threads, maybe even this one, but my wife is severely disabled. Pretty much the only thing she can do for enjoyment is watch TV. Therefore our TV is on 18+ hours a day, sometimes more depending.

Our current Sony KDF has performed brilliantly under these conditions, with the exception of having to just replace the bulb.

Given my situation, I'm guessing the life of my new Samsung will be much less of what's advertised? Maybe 4-8years?

Remember that we're talking about half-brightness which you might compensate for by cranking up brightness unless you already watch with it maxed out. You're gonna have lifetime problems with any tech, though you might want to dig deeper into some of the other brands. I've seen 100,000 hrs thrown around on here in reference to a particluar plasma tv, but I don't remember what brand that is. Maybe make a quick call to Samsung's support to inquire about whether or not the bulbs can be replaced by a repair center? I hate to steer you down the road to something much more expensive, but the XBR8 is using colored LEDs instead of phosphor coated ones. LEDs don't last forever, but maybe Sony's set will have a longer lifetime??
post #120 of 308 Old 09-12-2008, 09:36 PM

So is this the same thing pretty much when it comes to specs with the series 6? I went to CC today, the series 6 had pirates of the Caribbean on and kinda looked meh. The series 8 had transformers. I know they are two different movies but the series 8 really caught my attention xD. So I'm just wondering are they really the same besides it being a slimmer ect
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page