Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 308 Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

I am all for physical store orders because if there is a problem with the tv, you can take it back for an exchange or refund. So much easier.

If the total price is reasonably close I agree. However, today's price on the LN52A860 at US Appliance is $2619 with free shipping and no sales tax. No local retailer can even come close to that out-the-door price. Yes, I know someone will read this post 6 months from now and laugh at that price but I don't want to wait until Santa brings it down the chimney this Christmas.

Anyhow, I was just surfing for some reviews on the LN52A860/850 and came across this forum. I find it VERY informative and I thank you all.

I'm anxious to replace my 12 or so year old dinosaur Hitachi 60" rear projection TV and I've been window shopping for a big screen LCD for over a year. The new Samsung seems to be what I am looking for. I really like the ultra thin profile. I'll have to do a bit more searching to see what type of wall mount most owners go with. I'm not interested in tilting the screen, just a close fit against the wall.

I would have liked to have stayed with the large 60" screen that I've been watching for over a decade but the sales guy at CC told me I would not be disappointed with the new Samsung 52". I'm keeping in mind that the wall mount will leave the screen around 2.5 ft further away from where I sit in addition to the smaller screen size. I have several cardboard cutouts of various widescreen TVs and a 52" doesn't seem too small for me. The current viewing distance to the wall is around 12 ft. (144"). I've heard a rough rule-of-thumb screen size should be 1/2 of what the viewing distance is. That would mean I should have a screen size of 70" if I take into consideration 4 inches or so that the new screen would stick out from the wall when it is attached to a bracket. I haven't seen an LCD that large yet.

CC had a Samsung mobile bus in the parking lot last weekend and a super Samsung one-day-only sale. The sale price combined with several other discounts was $2599 + tax plus a free Blu-ray player. I'd never heard of the LN52A860/850 until then or I might have bought it. I always like to do a lot of research before buying.

I might go with US Appliance for my purchase. Most everyone seems to have good things to say about them and the current price cannot be beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 308 Old 09-20-2008, 07:05 PM

Where was the cc that had the bus? never heard of that. anyway, i have a us-a 860 on the way and hope that i will continue the luck the previous guys have had with them. When I get it I will post pictures and give a report.
post #183 of 308 Old 09-20-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderotto View Post

Where was the cc that had the bus?

It was in the St. Louis area last Saturday (09/13/08) at this location:

Circuit City Store #532 Chesterfield Commons

Hmm..the hyperlink thingy doesn't seem to work for me here.

Anyway, the Samsung/Xbox 360 display bus apparently tours around the country. I suppose there's a website that tells where they will be in the future. From doing a Google search just now it appears that it is in Chicago this weekend.
post #184 of 308 Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 AM

I finally got my LN52A850 and the Dennon AVR5308CI A/V receiver. I got a decent price for them ($2449 and $3929 with free shipping) but I'll never deal with that particular online retailer again! I won't say who it is because I don't think you are supposed to in these threads. Anyway, I am now spending hours trying to figure out how to configure it all and of course programing my universal remote (URC's MX-810) at the same time. I am not even sure yet if my Denon is automatically up converting all the video going thru it with it's Silicon Optix Realta HQV chip, or if I have to manually tell it to. I can tell you that I have somehow lost the Dennon's GUI showing up on my Sammy!
I can tell you the set looks physically great, although the front is so easy to scratch that you can do it by breathing on it! The PQ is amazing but as of yet a bit over saturated. I'll hafta go back thru the threads to see how those in the know have calibrated it. I have never tried post any pics up, but I'll give it a go now. These are all from the sammy with a sneak peak at the rear of my Dennon in this driving-my-spouse crazy ongoing project!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #185 of 308 Old 09-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post

It was in the St. Louis area last Saturday (09/13/08) at this location:

Circuit City Store #532 Chesterfield Commons

Hmm..the hyperlink thingy doesn't seem to work for me here.

Anyway, the Samsung/Xbox 360 display bus apparently tours around the country. I suppose there's a website that tells where they will be in the future. From doing a Google search just now it appears that it is in Chicago this weekend.

I cant seem to find it, can you help me out?
post #186 of 308 Old 09-22-2008, 01:03 AM

I have had the 52" 850 for about two week now. I like it very much. I got it at CC. I had the 46" 71 series (1 yr ownership) that i ended up returning to Samsung due to its well known problems (most people will know what i cam talking about). Before that i had a 42" Sony DLP (1 yr ownership). So in about 2.2 year this is my 3rd HD TV. By far this is the best. My friend has a Sony XBR5 52" and he thinks his TV is better. I really cannot tell the difference.

Question: I want to connect the cable feed and the HD Antenna feed to this tv. Since it only has one antenna input (unlike the 71 series that had two), what are my options? Thanks in advance.
post #187 of 308 Old 09-22-2008, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya112 View Post

Question: I want to connect the cable feed and the HD Antenna feed to this tv. Since it only has one antenna input (unlike the 71 series that had two), what are my options? Thanks in advance.

Is your cable coming directly from the wall? Otherwise, you need an A/B switcher. You can pick one up at a Radio Shack or other electronic stores.

Go 24
post #188 of 308 Old 09-22-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post

This issue is a Samsung issue! When you turn the TV off the remote will communicate with the Dish receiver in the IR mode. There is a green remote light that indicates communication on the receiver, that light goes out as soon as you turn the TV on.... turn the TV off light on receiver comes on and the remote will work on the receiver.

It could be something with either the TV IR or the TV wifi signal that is causing a block to the IR signal to the Sat or cable box. Can you switch to UHF on your box, I switched my Sat receiver to UHF to resolve the issue?

Clearly the TV is emitting a signal that blocks IR communication to Sat or cable boxes.

Do you have a camcorder with night vision? If so, at night with all the lights turned off, get your camcorder and set the night vision on, but turn the infrared light off on the camcorder. If your camcorder does not give the option to turn it off, try to block the light with your hand or using some duct tape. Your camcorder should show any sort of infrared light source on it's LCD or the viewfinder. I used this technique to find out whether a remote control was dead or I was getting really unlucky with batteries. Sadly it was the remote
post #189 of 308 Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 PM

Hi,

I am seriously considering to purchase the 850, however it would be great if I could find out whether this set will accept the 1080p50Hz European HDMI signal, as opposed to 1080p60hz US signal. I will be moving over to Europe within two years with a houseful of furniture and it would be great if I could take this TV with me. One option is to use a scaler like the one below, but I don't know if the content translation is seamless or not (they claim that it is).

gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4298

I already talked to a call taker at Samsung technical support and I received an automatic "no". I am kinda hoping she didn't know the details and stayed on the safe side.

Thanks!
post #190 of 308 Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko751 View Post

Hi,

I am seriously considering to purchase the 850, however it would be great if I could find out whether this set will accept the 1080p50Hz European HDMI signal, as opposed to 1080p60hz US signal.

Thanks!

I know that you already talked to a samsung tech person, but I think the best bet is to call again and try to go a few levels up the tree there. Talk to one of the higher level managers that have worked there for a while, they should be able to help you.
post #191 of 308 Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayme View Post

I got sucked in so ordered it from US Appliance. Good price so dont see anybody else with this price. May take to new year to get a price this low from Amazon.

Amazon still has it at full retail, was waiting for Amazom to lower it.

My wife wants it to watch Dancing. I had a 58 inch HP DLP that failed after 2 years, so will be a bit smaller.

Ray

I ordered it Thur late on a card and it was shipped on Monday. At 2619 vs Amazon at 3500. I called MC and told them to allow it as two years ago they held it up untill they called me on my DLP purchase.

Hope to get it maybe this week.

Ray
post #192 of 308 Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM

If any of you 850 / 860 owners are able to hear the fans from the back of the tv. I am able to hear them when I have the volume muted or the tv on w/ no source. They are not very loud, but I can hear them working.

I'm just curious if this is normal with all of these tv's.
post #193 of 308 Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 AM

Can we close this thread OP and merge with the normal 850 thread?
post #194 of 308 Old 09-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderotto View Post

Can we close this thread OP and merge with the normal 850 thread?

What thread are you talking about?

Ray
post #195 of 308 Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayme View Post

What thread are you talking about?

Ray

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1063783

Go 24
post #196 of 308 Old 09-24-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonbyn View Post

I finally got my LN52A850 and the Denon AVR5308CI A/V receiver.

Loonbyn, I'm curious to know if you have experience any remote control problems between your 850 and your Denon AVR. Specifically, it appears that the 8-Series is emitting IR interference that has been known to affect certain set-top boxes, and would like to know if this issue extends to the Denon AVRs.

I have an 860 and am planning on getting one the Denon "CI" series receivers (perhaps the 4308CI or 3808CI) and would like to know ahead of time if there are any potential issues.
post #197 of 308 Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Well, it took me awhile to find a place to put the RF transmitter to where it wasn't picking up stray signals. I didn't think to unplug one component at a time, so i don't know if they were coming from the 850 or the Dennon. All I know for sure is that one of those suckers are leaking signals. I am actually returning the URC 810 that I am currently programming, thinking that it is faulty because it's doing some strange stuff. Your question makes me now wonder if it's the fault of the 850/denon that's causing the weirdness.
Now all I gotta do is figure out how tio get the network streaming feature working on the Dennon!
post #198 of 308 Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonbyn View Post

Well, it took me awhile to find a place to put the RF transmitter to where it wasn't picking up stray signals. I didn't think to unplug one component at a time, so i don't know if they were coming from the 850 or the Dennon. All I know for sure is that one of those suckers are leaking signals. I am actually returning the URC 810 that I am currently programming, thinking that it is faulty because it's doing some strange stuff. Your question makes me now wonder if it's the fault of the 850/denon that's causing the weirdness.
Now all I gotta do is figure out how tio get the network streaming feature working on the Dennon!

loonbyn, the 850 could very well be at the center of the issue. I would appreciate it if you could perform the following acid test to verify this:
1. Turn off any other IR equipment except the 850 and the Denon.
2. If you still have your programmable remote, do not use it.
3. On your 850, turn down the backlight and put on a video scene that is very dark. This scenario tends to create the greatest amount of IR emission from the set.
4. Now, turn off the 850 and let is cool down for at least a half hour. A cold TV set tends to aggravate the IR emission on the 850.
5. After 30 minutes, turn the 850 on and then interact with your Denon via the Denon remote control (I believe there are two of them, so use both at different intervals). Check to see if the Denon is responsive to the Denon remote control input.

Responsiveness can range from be totally response (i.e. no issue) to latent/intermittent to total unresponsive (i.e. definitely an issue). If it's the later, can you also let us know if the remote starts to become responsive over time, or under different backlight or scene conditions.

Thanks.
sl.
post #199 of 308 Old 09-26-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrock View Post

A cold TV set tends to aggravate the IR emission on the 850.

I can confirm that the problem is worst at TV startup. I have applied the masking tape fix to my Comcast SA8300HD DVR and it still takes about 15 minutes before all of its remote functions work properly.
post #200 of 308 Old 09-29-2008, 02:03 PM

DTV broadcasts only in 1080i that's why.
post #201 of 308 Old 09-29-2008, 06:30 PM

18 of 18 people found the following review helpful:
An XBR convert - but, one caution for Dish and Cable box users, September 17, 2008
By RND (Dallas, TX) - See all my reviews

This is an amazing set. For the past year I've been holding out for an XBR but recently the feature set in those sets isn't up to par with what it used to be. This TV has a nice balance of features (beyond just TV), a really nice picture and is very thin.

The DLNA is pretty cool. Right out of the box it found my laptop on the network and I could browse pictures and music it had - presumably because Vista and Windows Media have DLNA and 'serve' up content to whoever is on the network. Even more shocking was that it saw my 4-year old Sony Vaio that came with its own media server capabilities. The TV locked up (had to unplug it) when trying to view pictures, but music and some videos played just fine. I've not installed the software that Samsung supplies with the set - so it should get even better.

One word of CAUTION though. If you have a Dish receiver or Pioneer cable box, note that presently this set will likely interfere with your ability to make use of the remote controls for those units. Changing the IR channel on the Dish remote to 15 has been known to work. I did try this and it did work...........
post #202 of 308 Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko751 View Post

Do you have a camcorder with night vision? If so, at night with all the lights turned off, get your camcorder and set the night vision on, but turn the infrared light off on the camcorder. If your camcorder does not give the option to turn it off, try to block the light with your hand or using some duct tape. Your camcorder should show any sort of infrared light source on it's LCD or the viewfinder. I used this technique to find out whether a remote control was dead or I was getting really unlucky with batteries. Sadly it was the remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post

This issue is a Samsung issue! When you turn the TV off the remote will communicate with the Dish receiver in the IR mode. There is a green remote light that indicates communication on the receiver, that light goes out as soon as you turn the TV on.... turn the TV off light on receiver comes on and the remote will work on the receiver.
An XBR convert - but, one caution for Dish and Cable box users, September 17, 2008

This is an amazing set. For the past year I've been holding out for an XBR but recently the feature set in those sets isn't up to par with what it used to be. This TV has a nice balance of features (beyond just TV), a really nice picture and is very thin.

The DLNA is pretty cool. Right out of the box it found my laptop on the network and I could browse pictures and music it had - presumably because Vista and Windows Media have DLNA and 'serve' up content to whoever is on the network. Even more shocking was that it saw my 4-year old Sony Vaio that came with its own media server capabilities. The TV locked up (had to unplug it) when trying to view pictures, but music and some videos played just fine. I've not installed the software that Samsung supplies with the set - so it should get even better.

One word of CAUTION though. If you have a Dish receiver or Pioneer cable box, note that presently this set will likely interfere with your ability to make use of the remote controls for those units. Changing the IR channel on the Dish remote to 15 has been known to work.
It could be something with either the TV IR or the TV wifi signal that is causing a block to the IR signal to the Sat or cable box. Can you switch to UHF on your box, I switched my Sat receiver to UHF to resolve the issue?

Clearly the TV is emitting a signal that blocks IR communication to Sat or cable boxes.

One word of CAUTION though. If you have a Dish receiver or Pioneer cable box, note that presently this set will likely interfere with your ability to make use of the remote controls for those units. Changing the IR channel on the Dish remote to 15 has been known to work.
post #203 of 308 Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingon666 View Post

I have read that, but how can I set to 15 my IR remote channel.........????!!!!!!!
post #204 of 308 Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 PM

how is this set for gaming? Any blur or anything?
post #205 of 308 Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 AM

LN52A850 - LOCAL PICK UP ($2678) PLUS FREE HDMI and WALL MOUNT KIT.

http://www.dtvcenter.com/product/lcd...model=LN52A850
post #206 of 308 Old 10-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The prices seem to be coming down very quickly on these sets. I'm still going to hold out till November to see what kind of deal I could get,but its so tempting....I hate being patient...lol
post #207 of 308 Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom203r View Post

I'm still going to hold out till November to see what kind of deal I could get,but its so tempting....I hate being patient...lol

Don't forget about CC's 60-day price match guarantee.
post #208 of 308 Old 10-04-2008, 12:33 PM

The RF transmitter I got let's me know if there is any RFs scurrying thru the air. It made no difference how I had the Sammy tweaked. There was still only one corner in the room where the RF light remained unlit. I traded in my URC 810 for another one btw.
post #209 of 308 Old 10-05-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirt711 View Post

Ok if I use the 10% off coupon at CC how does price matching work?

You'd probably have to ask CC customer service for the details on that. I thought I remember seeing something about the listed price dropping below what you paid for the price match.

Also, I believe the 60-day price match applies to CC only. They do have a 30-day low price guarantee with other local retailers. If a local merchant has a lower price within 30 days of your CC purchase they will give you 110% of the difference. I saw that on the wall last night when I was at CC buying some speakers and I was hoping Best Buy would come out with a one-day super sale on Samsung TVs.
post #210 of 308 Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Amazon has dropped the price to below 2600! Not the best deal if you go back a few pages with some members' special deals.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page