Samsung Series 9 Owners - Observations, Comments and Advice - Page 126 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3751 of 3779 Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just have to say that after looking at new TV's this weekend....my 950 still kicks ass and still just works great,

Why aren't there more backlit led tv's? Did the 3D surge destroy the incentive to make more backlits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3779 Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftovers View Post

I just have to say that after looking at new TV's this weekend....my 950 still kicks ass and still just works great,

Why aren't there more backlit led tv's? Did the 3D surge destroy the incentive to make more backlits?

They are much more expensive to manufacture in a very poor economy.
post #3753 of 3779 Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videkid View Post

They are much more expensive to manufacture in a very poor economy.

eh I'm not buying it...unless they are that much more to make ...the abundance of large screens still there....

just curious
post #3754 of 3779 Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM

It's partly about cost, and partly about feature/spec prioritization. The manufacturers discovered people seemed to care more about having really thin displays, and didn't really notice the difference between back-lit and edge-lit LED (difficult in a store). In fact, the vast majority of people have no idea what LED means. They think it's an alternative to LCD.

So yeah, I share your enthusiasm about snagging one of the few that do local-dimming. There are a couple models with back-lit local-dimming on the market now that arguably improve on the 950 though, and they cost accordingly.
post #3755 of 3779 Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM

We have an LN55A950 that needs a part replaced. Best Buy (where we have the warranty) says the part is not available and will replace on a technology to technology basis. What in the world would we get? Not sure how to even compare what's out there now to our TV. Very upset because we purchased the Samsung because of the local dimming back lighting. The only one I can find now is a Sony XBR-HX929, which I am sure Best Buy won't say is comparable since it has many more features.

UGH! Frustrated. Love my Samsung. What options are out there? How much would it cost to repair...we have black lines running from the right fading to the middle.
post #3756 of 3779 Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
unless your best buy is unreasonable, then they'll give you an HX929.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3757 of 3779 Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeterson70 View Post

We have an LN55A950 that needs a part replaced. Best Buy (where we have the warranty) says the part is not available...

Do you know which part?
post #3758 of 3779 Old 02-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Had my LN55A950 for a bit over 3 years. Its been a great TV so far but recently I am getting fine, bright lines across (left to right) the screen. Obviously there is something wrong and I will need to call Samsung for service but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if they got it fixed, how did it go?

The funny thing, is that sometimes, I turn on the TV, and I don't get the issue. My guess is it will get worse and worse over time. I am pretty disappointed because this is an awesome TV but I would expect an expensive TV like this to last much longer than 3 years without issues. I plan to call Samsung to see how much $$ it will cost to get someone out to look at it.

Symptom: Sometimes when I turn it on there a fine bright lines (about one per inch) across the screen. They are very thin and hard to see in dark scenes but you can see them if you look and in bright/mixed scenes they are obvious.
post #3759 of 3779 Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
It seems like there might be a three year lifespan on these things, which is a shame since it's still one of the top 10 best LCD's ever made.

My 55A950 also developed a problem that needs a service call. The colors of the set have developed a "psychadelic" look. Everything is breaking up into a multitude of colors.

My problem is with Samsung. I bought the extended service warranty, which I almost never do, because of all the reliability horror stories about Samsung. I've been on the phone with Samsung all week and seem to have entered a twilight zone. It took me a half hour to convince the operator that I have the warranty through Samsung, not the store I got the TV from. He refused to acknowledge it until I basically said "I spent almost $5000 between the TV and service contract and I have a service contract from Samsung sitting in front of me. Do you think I'm too stupid to know where I spent my money?". That revelation put me in limbo. I've been waiting for another department to contact me so I can prove to them I have a service contract with Samsung!
As you can guess, they haven't contacted me yet, so I have to call again tomorrow and rip someone a new one.

This is inexcusable. Needless to say, I'll keep you guys up to date on this.
post #3760 of 3779 Old 02-25-2012, 07:29 AM

Looks like this capacitor settlement covers the a950 .....

http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement

Mine is still going strong after 4 years (knock on wood)...I just tweeked the colors with the Disney WOW blue ray...and all I can say is WOW...it's hard to believe anything could produce a better picture.
post #3761 of 3779 Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM

My 950 is also going strong and I hope it stays that way for a long time. Good luck to all those experiencing problems. The 950 is an awesome TV-set to replace in such a short time.
post #3762 of 3779 Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Well, I had a "certified" tech come over and look at my TV (950) just to look at and confirm, "Yup, we can't fix it, its the panel".

And they can send me an estimate but I am sure it will not be worth it. LCDs should not have a 3 year life span. Certainly not a premium TV like this. Sure, I can go get a 1-2K replacement that has all the new bells and whistles (3D, Apps, etc) but there are very few TVs that will look as good as this one under 3K.

Thanks for the Link to the capaciter settlement. I will check it out but it does not list any 950 models and this is not a capacitor issue so I don't see how it would be addressed by that settlement.

I don't know what I will end up doing (other than complaining to Samsung). 3 years for any high-end TV is unacceptable quality Thats what I get for getting a high-end TV I guess, pay through the nose and do it again every 3 years.
post #3763 of 3779 Old 03-07-2012, 07:05 AM

Hi Folks,

Anyone get a high pitch noise from TV when shut off?
I guess I never noticed it much as it was in my basement.
But just moved up to bedroom (put a 70" downstairs and picture isn't close to my LN55A960 but the kids like the big boy) where it is kinda loud.

I affraid to have someone service it. lol

I have an extended warranty but wondered if others have the issue.

This is by far, the best TV I have owned (except blacks can be a little too black - as I have one of the originals).

Thanks!
post #3764 of 3779 Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's an update about my dealings with Samsung and getting my 950 fixed. I had to call them 2 more times since my last post. The first time they played stupid again and I got nowhere. The second time I called I had absolutely no problems. They had all the info about my extended warranty and immediately set me for a service call. Seriously, does anyone know why I had to jump through hoops to get a top of the line TV fixed? The only thing it shows me is Sammy's customer service is incompetent.

The tech came and said it was either a "T" board or the panel and he ordered both. Another weeks wait for the parts. He installed a new board and thankfully that was the problem. I say thankfully because Samsung does not have any more new panels for these TV's. If you need a new panel they will give you a refurb! How does that sound to you? How can you tell how much usage a 55 inch refurb has?

There is a $700 mail in rebate in case the panel has to be replaced, but I'm not sure if that's for all owners or just people with Samsung extended warranties. Refer to a Samsung OOW panel rebate offer on the website for info on this.

He left a copy of the service ticket and there are a number of problem areas with these units that a tech has to look out for.

1. Auto shutdown of the 2008 units. I believe this concerns the cap settlement that was recently discussed. That's what the tech told me.
2. Intermittent LCD problems
3. Problems with the LED backlights
4. Distorted video and random pixelation

At least my TV got fixed- finally. Funny thing is, I've been so busy lately I haven't had much time for critical viewing. Getting it fixed has forced me to sit down and actually watch the 950 again. I'd forgotten how gorgeous the picture is on this TV. It's jaw dropping at times.

Too bad Samsung is such a lousy company to deal with.
post #3765 of 3779 Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 AM

My Samsung ln 55a950 has developed the dreaded horizontal black lines from top to bottom on the left side moving toward the center.
I purchased in 9/2008 at BB Magnoilia Store for $4800 and have the PSP. the repair company said I need a new Panel(surprize) they are checking to see if they can get the Panel currently waiting for an answer.
from what I have researched this panel is not available. If this is the case wondering,, 1 what kind of a replacement would BB offer me and 2. if I take the credit How much do you think I will get and what should I look at purchasing to match this as close as possible
I love my 950 but I doesn't look good
Thanks
post #3766 of 3779 Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeterson70 View Post

We have an LN55A950 that needs a part replaced. Best Buy (where we have the warranty) says the part is not available and will replace on a technology to technology basis. What in the world would we get? Not sure how to even compare what's out there now to our TV. Very upset because we purchased the Samsung because of the local dimming back lighting. The only one I can find now is a Sony XBR-HX929, which I am sure Best Buy won't say is comparable since it has many more features.

UGH! Frustrated.
Love my Samsung. What options are out there? How much would it cost to repair...we have black lines running from the right fading to the middle.

My Samsung ln 55a950 has developed the dreaded horizontal black lines from top to bottom on the left side moving toward the center.
I purchased in 9/2008 at BB Magnoilia Store for $4800 and have the PSP. the repair company said I need a new Panel(surprize) they are checking to see if they can get the Panel currently waiting for an answer.
from what I have researched this panel is not available. If this is the case wondering,, 1 what kind of a replacement would BB offer me and 2. if I take the credit How much do you think I will get and what should I look at purchasing to match this as close as possible
Thanks
post #3767 of 3779 Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild_13417 View Post

Thanks

Who knows what BB will offer you for a TV you had for 4 years. Unless you have full product replacement for the full life of your contract you're going to take a hit. Read your contract to be know what your rights are. If you're looking for a replacement, there isn't much choice anymore. Sammy doesn't make back lit local dimming TV's anymore. Their best LCD is the side lit 8000 which has a LOT of problems if you read the thread. The only local dimmers that I know of are the Elite's, Sony 929 and some Vizios. I've seen the Elites which are stunning but supposedly hard to calibrate. I just got a Sony 929 so I can attest to it's amazing picture. I haven't seen any Vizio's- sorry. The only other option that I know of is Plasma for a TV that can match the 950 or other top local dimmers.
post #3768 of 3779 Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Waiting for an answer from BB warranty dept. they say part available ordered but not in stock not sure how long I have to wait for it to coming before they consider a replacement or credit. I see on the web the panel is discontinued and I brought that to BB 's attention so they escalated my claim up to a supervisor with a response by Tuesday 6/29

I do a lot of gaming was thinking of a Plasma Panasonic VT50 but worried about image retention
post #3769 of 3779 Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Waiting for an answer from BB warranty dept. they say part available ordered but not in stock not sure how long I have to wait for it to coming before they consider a replacement or credit. I see on the web the panel is discontinued and I brought that to BB 's attention so they escalated my claim up to a supervisor with a response by Tuesday 6/29
I do a lot of gaming was thinking of a Plasma Panasonic VT50 but worried about image retention

I'd be very worried with a plasma if you do lots of gaming. In fact a friend of mine is complaining about his plasma burn in because of all the gaming he does.

Let us know what BB does about your panel.
post #3770 of 3779 Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 PM

Panel was not Available ended up getting my full purchase price back with tax as exchange credit and used it to purchase the Elite PRO60X5FD I also purchased a new 4 year Black Tie Protection ( they said If I Had this happen again with the Elite while under new 4 year plan I would get the FULL Price of the Elite back as exchange Credit also not just the minimal extra I Paid after my Credit was applied.
happy with the outcome now just hope the new TV stacks up to the Picture Quality of the 950
post #3771 of 3779 Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Panel was not Available ended up getting my full purchase price back with tax as exchange credit and used it to purchase the Elite PRO60X5FD I also purchased a new 4 year Black Tie Protection ( they said If I Had this happen again with the Elite while under new 4 year plan I would get the FULL Price of the Elite back as exchange Credit also not just the minimal extra I Paid after my Credit was applied.
happy with the outcome now just hope the new TV stacks up to the Picture Quality of the 950

Congrats! From what I saw of the Elite, it has an absolutely stunning picture. There is a very active Elite thread around here. You'll probably get some good info there.

Enjoy your new toy!
post #3772 of 3779 Old 07-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've had my A950 for three years and it has been mostly rock solid. I had a brief problem with a vertical line running through my display within the first 6 months or so that mysteriously vanished and has never returned (knocking loudly on wood).

What I believe I am experiencing now could be attributed to newer HDMI devices being connected to it. I was curious what others here are using with regard to optical disc players and/or audio/video receivers.

My troubles started when I introduced an Oppo BDP-93 player to my system (it replaced a BDP-83 that was in for repair). My Yamaha RX-V3800 didn't like it. I was having bizarre HDMI video handshaking and the like. Even when I configured the 93 to behave like the older 83 by using the secondary HDMI output, I still experienced some anomalies.

My solution, based on a little common sense and user feedback, was to replace my old AVR. I went with the Yamaha RX-A2010. For a while things seemed to work better, but then I slowly became aware of other problems I could not eliminate. One was a defect with the AVR itself and the other had to do with audio dropouts. No matter what I tried, I could not avoid the dropouts. Later, I became aware of these audio "pop" noises that were happening whenever a new audio/video track started. My 30 day return window was closing fast at this time and I was not hearing back from Yamaha quick enough so I returned the A2010.

I resigned myself to just watching TV for a while. One day, I decided to hook up the Oppo BDP-93 directly to the TV to see how it would behave. I used the preferred HDMI 1 output. I still experienced some audio dropouts but not necessarily in the same spots and frequency as before. I also still noticed the "pop" noises. Using the HDMI 2 output from the player helped eliminate the dropouts but did nothing for the pops. A light bulb went off in my head. Perhaps the TV itself could be the device that is causing trouble. When I still had the A2010, the A950 was the oldest device in the chain. Could it be some HDMI 1.4 incompatibility from either the new AVR or the 93? While we are told modern HDMI devices are backwards compatible with older ones, that doesn't mean without quirks.

Is anyone else using HDMI 1.4 devices with their A950?
post #3773 of 3779 Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post

I've had my A950 for three years and it has been mostly rock solid. I had a brief problem with a vertical line running through my display within the first 6 months or so that mysteriously vanished and has never returned (knocking loudly on wood).
What I believe I am experiencing now could be attributed to newer HDMI devices being connected to it. I was curious what others here are using with regard to optical disc players and/or audio/video receivers.
My troubles started when I introduced an Oppo BDP-93 player to my system (it replaced a BDP-83 that was in for repair). My Yamaha RX-V3800 didn't like it. I was having bizarre HDMI video handshaking and the like. Even when I configured the 93 to behave like the older 83 by using the secondary HDMI output, I still experienced some anomalies.
My solution, based on a little common sense and user feedback, was to replace my old AVR. I went with the Yamaha RX-A2010. For a while things seemed to work better, but then I slowly became aware of other problems I could not eliminate. One was a defect with the AVR itself and the other had to do with audio dropouts. No matter what I tried, I could not avoid the dropouts. Later, I became aware of these audio "pop" noises that there happening whenever a new audio/video track started. My 30 day return window was closing fast at this time and I was not hearing back from Yamaha quick enough so I returned the A2010.
I resigned myself to just watching TV for a while. One day, I decided to hook up the Oppo BDP-93 directly to the TV to see how it would behave. I used the preferred HDMI 1 output. I still experienced some audio dropouts but not necessarily in the same spots and frequency as before. I also still noticed the "pop" noises. Using the HDMI 2 output from the player helped eliminate the dropouts but did nothing for the pops. A light bulb went off in my head. Perhaps the TV itself could be the device that is causing trouble. When I still had the A2010, the A950 was the oldest device in the chain. Could it be some HDMI 1.4 incompatibility from either the new AVR or the 93? While we are told modern HDMI devices are backwards compatible with older ones, that doesn't mean without quirks.
Is anyone else using HDMI 1.4 devices with their A950?

I always try out any new player by plugging it directly into the 950 before I plug it into my AVR- a Denon 4308. It makes it easy to weed out any problems that may crop up with handshake issues as well as eliminate any processing an AVR might add to the mix. I did get some popping noises when I hooked up the Oppo 83. However I've had no popping problems with either the Oppo 95, Panny 500 and Panny 210 which are all high speed (1.4) devices. BTW, if the Oppo 93 is anything like the 95, dropouts are pretty common problem, Check the Oppo threads about this.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable with your hookup? I've had more problems with the cables themselves than I've had with the equipment.
post #3774 of 3779 Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Nice to hear your 95 did not give you any trouble. My 93 is functionally identical on the video side to your own. I am also running the latest firmware on the player. I believe the dropouts people were reporting had mostly to do with specific disc types (SACD, CD, etc. ) I could find nothing similar to my issue that was mentioned.

No pops with my 83 hooked up directly to the TV.

Yes, I've tried at least three different HDMI cables between all devices. None made any difference.

One possible cause for the audio popping that was mentioned was a ground loop problem, but I do not know how to test for it. I do have all of my A/V gear hooked up to the same power conditioner (an APC H15). I suppose I could try removing both devices I wish to test from the H15. That would be such a pain, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I always try out any new player by plugging it directly into the 950 before I plug it into my AVR- a Denon 4308. It makes it easy to weed out any problems that may crop up with handshake issues as well as eliminate any processing an AVR might add to the mix. I did get some popping noises when I hooked up the Oppo 83. However I've had no popping problems with either the Oppo 95, Panny 500 and Panny 210 which are all high speed (1.4) devices. BTW, if the Oppo 93 is anything like the 95, dropouts are pretty common problem, Check the Oppo threads about this.
Have you tried a different HDMI cable with your hookup? I've had more problems with the cables themselves than I've had with the equipment.
post #3775 of 3779 Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 PM

I got those black lines on the left side of the panel too, 3 yrs and 2 months, just after the warranty expired.

Samsung guy said a new panel would cost me more than any new 55 or 60 inch would cost me now either way i'm screwed.

I payed top money for this top of the line TV and i got 3 years out of it. Never buying Samsung again....great lesson for being an enthusiast
post #3776 of 3779 Old 12-06-2013, 06:17 AM
los

Anybody know if there is a way to have the automatic clock-based turn on tune to HDMI instead of cable/antenna?

Comcast went and encrypted all the channels so now I can only turn on to 'static'.

Thanks,

Carlos

Carlos
post #3777 of 3779 Old 12-11-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by los View Post

Anybody know if there is a way to have the automatic clock-based turn on tune to HDMI instead of cable/antenna?

Comcast went and encrypted all the channels so now I can only turn on to 'static'.

Thanks,

Carlos

Sorry, it only works with an antenna.
post #3778 of 3779 Old 12-18-2013, 12:52 AM

Ive had this set since it first came out in summer of 08. Its still running firmware 1001.3. Are there any new firmware updates? i am a us owner. Ive checked the Samsung website but nothing comes up for this tv.
post #3779 of 3779 Old 07-04-2014, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hello 950 owners! This is an old thread but hopefully some of you are still subscribed and will read this.

I am a UN55F8000 owner since July of 2013. Despite being edge lit, the F8000 is an amazing television. It produces an extremely realistic and nuanced image with high contrast. However, I am going off to a university this fall and cannot take the F8000 with me. The stand is too wide and having paid $2,500 for it plus $300 for tax and 3 year extended warranty I am not going to risk damaging it in my dorm.

My friend's dad has an LN55A950 since it was new back in 2008 or 2009. I've seen the set in person many times and it continues to wow me and it looks great even in a dark room. From what I can tell the picture quality is very near identical to my F8000 but it does appear to achieve superior blacks depending on the scene thanks to more precise local dimming (F8000 can only dim horizontal bar sections of the screen rather than particular spots). The color accuracy, motion performance, shadow detail, and image detail appear superior on the F8000 however. But overall, the 950 has aged extremely well for an LED LCD.

I have found a 55" 950 on eBay for roughly $600 to $750 depending on how low of an offer the seller will take. He has a few pictures of the set but it is powered off in them. I've asked him about any dead pixels or uniformity issues and to take a picture of the TV actually displaying something. Hopefully he will get back to me soon.

I have researched the new backlit E series Vizio but I doubt it looks a fraction as good as the 950 does. I mean wow, even like 6 years later it rivals the newest flagship edge lit TVs in terms of PQ. From what I could tell in person the viewing angles are much better on the 950 compared to the F8000 and most TVs coming out now including the new backlit E series Vizio.

Anyways, is buying a used 950 to take with me to school a good idea? Are there any reliability issues or uniformity/clouding I should be concerned with? Should I buy an extended warranty with square trade for it to protect against a panel failure? I think $600 is a bargain for this set and I can't think of any other TV at that price that would give me the same PQ satisfaction I'm used to with the F8000. It's just the fact that it's used is putting me off a little.

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by DRN94; 07-04-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page