Samsung Series 9 Owners - Observations, Comments and Advice - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's here!!

It Looks Wicked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
congrats, your waiting finally paid off. enjoy.

I am still tweaking my settings, hopefully you can enlighten us when you find something that looks great.

I like standard mode but it doesnt offer the LED motion setting (only in movie mode) which I like. I am still trying to get movie mode settings to POP like standard
Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Standard is what we settled on our Magnolia 46", Down the backlight a few knotches, also down a little on Bright and Contrast, Low / off for AMP

Will be playing...back later
Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

keep us posted. enjoy.......
Old 09-16-2008, 12:55 PM

I work with these tv's daily and looking at them side by side, the 860 has a brighter picture, and more vivid colors than the 6 and 7, but as soon as the camera moves, it lacks clarity. The 120 htz on that tv is the worst. That is the downfall of having such a thin bezel. Keeping the 120 on the lowest setting in best for most situations.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motremper View Post

I work with these tv's daily and looking at them side by side, the 860 has a brighter picture, and more vivid colors than the 6 and 7, but as soon as the camera moves, it lacks clarity. The 120 htz on that tv is the worst. That is the downfall of having such a thin bezel. Keeping the 120 on the lowest setting in best for most situations.

i've noticed this too, i thought I was going crazy, thanks for the insight. Did you notice any AMP differences between the 750 and 650?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motremper View Post

on the 950, the specific "LED Motion Plus" settings turned to ON in my opinion eliminates this problem. The only downside or not really a downside is that it is only available in Movie Mode.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 PM

Can someone explain Smart LED and how is it better/worse when on/off.

I think my understanding of it is that it just turns the LEDs off in certain areas when they aren't in use (ie black areas). If that's correct, what happens if I turn Smart LED off? Will those areas that are supposed to be black not look as black b/c the LEDs are still 'on'?
Old 09-16-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblair View Post

I put AMP on high for everything except videogames. I love the AMP effect, and although I don't exactly notice lag with it on, every millisecond counts when playing Call of Duty 4.

I play COD4 with AMP High on my 71F and have no issues. 2.13 ratio with almost 20,000+ kills. All with AMP High.

Input lag is severely overrated for almost every game unless it's a time dependent game like Guitar Hero.

You're not gonna find yourself falling off cliffs or smashing into walls because of AMP.

The only time I'd consider using Game Mode is if I played PC games with a mouse and keyboard. Those games are extremely time sensitive. Not most console games.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedracerII View Post

Can someone tell me how to check the firmware version? I've look everywhere in the menu, even tried the "update firmware" menu and still can't find it. Am I missing something obvious???

Menu/Setup/Software Upgrade (without going into the actual upgrade) and press the info button on your remote.

I got my 55 A950 just a few days ago, and I can say I was blind and now I can see . Of course, I been watching a 20" crt tv for the last 10 months since I relocated to the US , but I think it was worth waiting for this second gen of LED LCD.

Firmware version:
Module: T-DMDAUSC-1001.3, Date: 2008-07-11, MICOM:T-DMDAUSS-1000
SDAL3.5.2-TZ2_SPH_DMD_US-0807, RFS: Thu May 29 14:06:03 KST

I also felt the menu lag on the remote, but now I think I just got used to it or I simply figured it out on how to move the "i-pod" scroll.

I been watching movies BD from the PS3 via HDMI directly into the tv and everything is spectacular. I do like how AMP in high looks, but as soon as there is a movement you can see some "jitter" on whatever it's moving, specially if its a dark color. Yesterday I saw the move Troy and noticed that several times. I turned the AMP to Low and problem solved, it didn't look as 3D'ish as before, but it still looked amazing, like nothing I've seen before on other LCD's. Everything else was in default and I was watching it on the movie mode. Late at night in a dark room.

Ps. Thanks for all of your previous posts!

I'm not sure I want to pay 150 dlls to get this tv calibrated, it seems spectacular to me as it is. Somebody that owns this 55" believes it;s worth it? And if so, what were your changes?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauriciosalinas View Post

Ps. Thanks for all of your previous posts!

I'm not sure I want to pay 150 dlls to get this tv calibrated, it seems spectacular to me as it is. Somebody that owns this 55" believes it;s worth it? And if so, what were your changes?

I'm not sure anyone who would share those changes at any cost other than what was paid for the calibration. Who is going to charge you $150, BBY? that deal is over unless you take the top level Plan. In that case, Calibration maybe included or at least half price.

I would suggest looking at www.accucalhd.com, ask for Jeff and say you were referred by The Brit in Phoenix.

He will spend many hours in your home with his $25k of hardware, as opposed to the other guys who come out for maybe 30 or 45 mins and have much cheaper, lower quality kit. Per hour, Jeff is far cheaper, and will do a much better job.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM

the a850 is now on samsung canada website, but not the a950 yet
Old 09-17-2008, 08:12 AM

Hi. Been monitoring this thread for info and appreciate all the great comments and advice. I've decided to pull the trigger on the 55" model. I do have one question. I have an older Denon AVR-3805 that doesn't have HDMI outputs, only component (it's brand new, just never got the opportunity to use it until now). I am curious if there's really that much of an advantage of using HDMI over component. Distance isn't an issue for me as the AVR is just 6' from the TV and I really don't care about using a separate cable for audio. I will be using the new Directv HR22 DVR as my primary TV source with an OTA antenna for local HD channels. The CEpro website had a article that pro installers overwhelmingly preferred component over HDMI (PM me if you wish the URL to the article). Am I losing anything with using component inputs on the LCD instead of HDMI? Many thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Component will not pass 1080p, only HDMI.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

are you sure, I think mostly every tv now passes 1080p via component.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post

Standerd and movie can be made the same brighness, useing the customer menues. Theres no difference except the presets when you go there. Once you set them to your liking they will stay. They both use the same gamma curve in the service menu. Dynamic uses no gamma curve where as the 650 750 use .095. Thats just a little brighter than off but not much. The 950 using off for dynamic and m2 in standerd,movie is almost the same as well.
So it does not matter that its limited to movie as any other mode would darken with the LMP as well. In fact a person could use movie all the time at any brightness. To get that dnile look from dynamic "if thats what your after, then set the Dynamic contrast to max and then adjust the black adjust to what suits you for that bright of a picture. But be warned the 950 is a bright mother and can make a 750 look dim setting side by side.

Thanks for your response KDH, I always appreciate your service menu insights. It occurs to me that maybe the reason LED motion plus is only available in movie mode is that it is on a static 24hz frequency. Thus if you were to watch a movie with LED motion plus on and Amp off the flicker frequency would line up perfectly with 24hz frame changes from a movie. This would be a pretty damn hard hypothesis to test it could be done though. So I'm wondering if anyone knows if the LED motion plus responds to amp being turned on and bumps up to a 120hz flicker frequency or is the frequency of LED motion Plus a static value.

Also this is of course a bit off topic but from my reading on the XBR8 it doesn't seem that they are combining the 2 motion smoothing technologies together like Samsung is (Frame rate interpolation and backlight scanning). It seems that they are pretty vague on how their motion smoothing technology works, maybe they are incorporating both. They just say it rocks of course. I know they are boasting about their tri-luminant LED backlight system mostly which seems better on paper than what Samsung has put into the 950 and the increased zones is better as well. But I still would like to know how their motion flow technology has changed and if they have incorporated backlight scanning, as well as motion frame rate interpolation (hopefully better than last year lol).
Old 09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah, I really want to get the Dynamic mode sharpness & brightness look but in Movie Mode because I want to use the LED Motion Plus setting. Any settings would be greatly appreciated?

I think the LED Motion Plus settings works great but it make the screen a little darker.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:12 AM

Great looking panel, I'm looking to purchase this for a family member, could some kind souls help me via pm with the prices these are going for?
Thx
Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaburn View Post

Thanks for your response KDH, I always appreciate your service menu insights. It occurs to me that maybe the reason LED motion plus is only available in movie mode is that it is on a static 24hz frequency. Thus if you were to watch a movie with LED motion plus on and Amp off the flicker frequency would line up perfectly with 24hz frame changes from a movie. This would be a pretty damn hard hypothesis to test it could be done though. So I'm wondering if anyone knows if the LED motion plus responds to amp being turned on and bumps up to a 120hz flicker frequency or is the frequency of LED motion Plus a static value.

Also this is of course a bit off topic but from my reading on the XBR8 it doesn't seem that they are combining the 2 motion smoothing technologies together like Samsung is (Frame rate interpolation and backlight scanning). It seems that they are pretty vague on how their motion smoothing technology works, maybe they are incorporating both. They just say it rocks of course. I know they are boasting about their tri-luminant LED backlight system mostly which seems better on paper than what Samsung has put into the 950 and the increased zones is better as well. But I still would like to know how their motion flow technology has changed and if they have incorporated backlight scanning, as well as motion frame rate interpolation (hopefully better than last year lol).

Reading up on the XBR 8, it has Motionflow Pro. Which includes backlight scanning and 120hz...

From Sony
Motionflow 120Hz PRO technology couples a high 120Hz frame rate with sequential scanning technology, which controls the backlight to horizontally divide frames and reduce visual flickering. The combination of high frame rate and sequential scanning significantly reduces source image blur and judder in film sources, HD content, broadcast movies, and primetime programming, and helps create smoother, more fluid motion for a natural and realistic viewing experience.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

are you sure, I think mostly every tv now passes 1080p via component.

I was addressing the poster's question about his AVR (Denon 3805). I don't believe that model AVR will pass 1080p via the component connections.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverjim View Post

Hi. Been monitoring this thread for info and appreciate all the great comments and advice. I've decided to pull the trigger on the 55" model. I do have one question. I have an older Denon AVR-3805 that doesn't have HDMI outputs, only component (it's brand new, just never got the opportunity to use it until now). I am curious if there's really that much of an advantage of using HDMI over component. Distance isn't an issue for me as the AVR is just 6' from the TV and I really don't care about using a separate cable for audio. I will be using the new Directv HR22 DVR as my primary TV source with an OTA antenna for local HD channels. The CEpro website had a article that pro installers overwhelmingly preferred component over HDMI (PM me if you wish the URL to the article). Am I losing anything with using component inputs on the LCD instead of HDMI? Many thanks in advance.

Why not use HDMI directly from your devices to the TV, then run optical audio from the devices to the Denon AVR? You may have to add a slight delay to the audio to get them in sync but other than that it should work fine. Another option may be to run HDMI to the TV then use the optical audio output from the tv to your Denon, although I'm not sure if that passes full 5.1 audio from any HDMI source through...

**Update, just checked the TV manual, the second option won't work well (only 2 channels):

"When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD/Blu-Ray and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the DVD/Blu-Ray player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV."
Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM

From reading the manual (briefly), I understand that there is an option in the Audio menu to turn off the TC speakers and use external speakers via the optical output... For those of you that own the set, do you know if by doing this, the TV will then output 5.1 from the optical rather than just stereo?

Just wondering, it would be a pain to have to hook up all my equipment differently.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazlurgan View Post

From reading the manual (briefly), I understand that there is an option in the Audio menu to turn off the TC speakers and use external speakers via the optical output... For those of you that own the set, do you know if by doing this, the TV will then output 5.1 from the optical rather than just stereo?

Just wondering, it would be a pain to have to hook up all my equipment differently.

you have HDMI 1.3? why use the optical out. It only works for Over the air output, not for "external speakers" setting
Old 09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazlurgan View Post

see my quote from the manual above, sounds like only for OTA it will do 5.1, otherwise it's limited to 2 channels. Just use HDMI or route optical separately from your sources to your audio receiver.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

you can get 1080p thru component
Old 09-18-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

can people please start to post their settings for their 950, especially for blu ray. Would really like to compare. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 AM

Yay, I got mine last night! It is taking some time to get used to though, went from a 5 year old 42" dlp to this and it is a new world. I am getting so caught up in the details I am finding the story a bit hard to follow in hd titles
Old 09-20-2008, 06:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies to my question on passing 1080p via component thru my Denon receiver. Finally heard from Denon on the same question. They assured me the receiver would pass 1080p as long as the BR-DVD outputs it via component. I'll try my old receiver w/o using HDMI. Hopefully it will work as advertised.

Went to BB today to look at the 55" today on display. Just an amazing lcd. There are none in stock in the BB stores in the Denver area and said they were selling well and they weren't discounting much. It will be first week of Oct before new stock arrive. What's strange is CC doesn't carry them at all. The CC sales dude looked real funny when I told him BB has one on the sales floor and wondered why BB was getting them before CC.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Now that I have had the Samsung A950 46" for a few days here are my impressions..

Pros: Colors are beyond amazing, especially The Departed Blu Ray disk where the lighting and color temperatures where done so perfectly, just amazing! 24hz mode for Blu Ray looks the closest to film projection I can remember seeing as well. Picture is sharp and can be adjusted in countless ways for pretty much any scenario. Black Levels are amazing!

Cons: Content from PVR/Cable box and DVD players seem to suffer from both blur and judder much moreso than Blu Ray movies and Games unless AMP is turned on which creates a picture so smooth it feels like I am watching a live play. Which doesn't sound bad on paper, but it is an effect I can't seem to get past right.

I will write more as I discover things and get used to it
Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

incendy, thanks for the feedback!
i think the reason you probably see more judder from pvr/cable and SD dvd is that they are already feeding the tv a signal at 60hz, the cable/sat/dvd box has already done the 3:2 pulldown and possibly even upscaled it to 1080p depending on your setup/devices. Now I really am guessing here and somebody who knows for sure can chime in, but I would guess the samsung tv does not detect this type of signal and "fix" it by doing reverse 3:2 pulldown and re-constructing the original 24fps source and then re-applying its own processing on it. Some DVD players may allow you to output at 24fps singal and it would probably handle those just fine. I am using a DVDO video processor in my setup for SD video sources and i don't see any judder, since the DVDO is properly reconstructing a 24fps source to be fed to the tv for film based sources.

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709