Samsung Series 9 Owners - Observations, Comments and Advice - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3779 Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggity80 View Post

How do you play movie files from a connected PC?

I have my 950 connected to my router and my PC connected to the router as well.

I have files shared in WMP and I can actually find the files/folders through the 950.

However, everytime I try to play a movie, like a .avi file, it says "mode not supported".

I tried MP3's and they worked ok.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Install the Samsung PC Share Manager software from the CD that came with the TV, pick your folder to share, etc... Couple of other steps in the software after you share and was going to tell you but I've been waiting 5 mins for the software to finish loading.

The software kinda sucks and is very slow but it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3779 Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey jerremy, congrats. which settings of mine are you using. What post #
post #993 of 3779 Old 10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Can of you kind owners please tell me what color (4:3) pillar bar options you get on this TV? I could not find the answer in the manual. Thnx.

Disregard please, I forget my D* box box lets me choose the color.

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #994 of 3779 Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-TV View Post

Can of you kind owners please tell me what color (4:3) pillar bar options you get on this TV? I could not find the answer in the manual. Thnx.

Disregard please, I forget my D* box box lets me choose the color.

I don't believe there is an option.
post #995 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 AM

Hey slumpey326,

Post #987.

I have noticed that with the setting of Just Scan (instead of 16:9), depending on the channel, I get edge artifacts. Last night, watching the debate on NBC, with Just Scan on, I had a thin green line on the left side of the picture. Earlier, watching the Nightly News, I had flickering at the top of the image.

I know you can adjust the position with Just Scan selected, but these edge elements were not visible on other channels. A little odd.

Watched some HD hockey and the the debate last night... Just awesome color on this set.

Jerremy
post #996 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 10:26 AM

What is the difference between just scan and 16.9?
post #997 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom203r View Post

What is the difference between just scan and 16.9?

From the manual:

Occasionally, you may want to change the size of the image on your screen. Your TV comes with six screen size options, each designed to work best with specific types of video input. Your cable box or satellite receiver may have its own set of screen sizes as well. In general, though, you should view the TV in 16:9 mode as much as possible.

1. Follow the Activating Picture Options instructions numbers 1 and 2.
2. Press the ▲ or ▼ button to select Size, then press the ENTER button.
3. Press the ▲ or ▼ button to select the screen format you want.
Press the ENTER button.
Press the EXIT button to exit.

16:9 : Sets the picture to 16:9 wide mode.

Zoom1: Magnifies the size of the picture on the screen.

Zoom2: Magnifies the size of the picture more than Zoom1.

Wide Fit: Enlarges the aspect ratio of the picture to fit the entire screen.

4:3 : Sets the picture to 4:3 normal mode.

Just Scan: Use the function to see the full image without any cutoff
when HDMI (720p/1080i/1080p), Component (1080i/1080p) or DTV
(1080i) signals are input.
post #998 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerremy View Post

Hey slumpey326,

Post #987.

I have noticed that with the setting of Just Scan (instead of 16:9), depending on the channel, I get edge artifacts. Last night, watching the debate on NBC, with Just Scan on, I had a thin green line on the left side of the picture. Earlier, watching the Nightly News, I had flickering at the top of the image.

I know you can adjust the position with Just Scan selected, but these edge elements were not visible on other channels. A little odd.

Watched some HD hockey and the the debate last night... Just awesome color on this set.

Jerremy

I've found the same problem and don't use the "just scan" setting either when watching HD Cable.
post #999 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

IT APPEARS THE FIRST VERSIONS OF THE A950 MIGHT HAVE PROBLEMS

did anyone see that the cnet reviewer updated his review today of the ln46a950:

Editors' note, October 16, 2008: This review has been modified since it posted originally to account for two changes since then: the publication of the Sony KDL-55XBR8 review and the introduction of a product update that affects the Samsung A950's picture quality. See below for details on the update.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=mncol;txt

Samsung has updated the A950 series, the company's flagship line of LED-based LCD HDTVs, by introducing changes that affect picture quality. In accordance, we have updated our review of the 46-inch LN46A950.

Samsung's LN46A950 looks the same on the outside, but received a minor performance related update recently.

While the change will have a minor impact on picture quality, it probably irks current A950 owners to find out that they don't have the most up-to-date version of the television. Here's the relevant section from the review's updated performance section, describing the differences we saw:

To assess the picture quality impact of the changes, we compared our original LN46A950 review sample side-by-side to a new one, and will use the new one in all comparisons involving the A950 going forward. The differences we saw concerned black levels primarily. The company has raised the black level in very dark scenes--those with a very low "average picture level." In those scenes the new model showed improved shadow detail and eliminated some of the worst blooming effects we mention below, while the older model reproduced darker overall black levels--its LEDs appeared to dim more aggressively, while the new ones stayed more illuminated. We didn't notice any differences between the two Samsungs in the vast majority of scenes however, which have higher average picture levels. As a result, we're not modifying the rating for this review.

According to Samsung, all A950 series sets sent to market after September 20, 2008, will feature the upgrade. Of course that means A950 series TVs sent to market before that date, whether still on store shelves or comfortably at home with their new owners, won't have the update. Currently, the company hasn't provided an easy way to distinguish the old sets from the new, but they say they're working on it and when they do, we'll update this post.

This is hardly the first time we're aware of Samsung updating one of its HDTV models in the middle of the product's lifespan--see also the LN-T4671F, the LN-T4681F and the PN50A650. Previous updates also involved minor picture-quality improvements that, frankly, were often inspired by findings published in CNET reviews. The changes were usually addressed by downloadable firmware updates, which is an imperfect method compared to online updates, but at least it's something.

Unfortunately, there's no way for owners of current A950s to easily get the upgrade or perform it themselves. According to a contact at Samsung, one could perform a service-menu-level change that would approximate the update, but ideally new hardware, specifically the new "local dimming" board, is required. Intrepid owners who contact Samsung customer support (1-800-SAMSUNG) and persuade the representative that they need the upgrade (hint: claim the set is "defective" and mention a "loss of extreme shadow detail") might be able to get the company to send a tech out with a new board. But that's an even more imperfect method, in our opinion.

Bottom line: Samsung should offer the update, free of charge, to current A950 owners without having to hack into a service menu or navigate the customer service labyrinth.

post #1000 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post

I don't believe there is an option.

Thank-you as always dirthawg.

post #1001 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Slumpey,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Samsung info and about the XBR8 review on Crave. Going to read about the Samsung! first. [I just 4 and a 1/2 hours at Sony Style today.]

post #1002 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

IT APPEARS THE FIRST VERSIONS OF THE A950 MIGHT HAVE PROBLEMS

did anyone see that the cnet reviewer updated his review today of the ln46a950:

Editors' note, October 16, 2008: This review has been modified since it posted originally to account for two changes since then: the publication of the Sony KDL-55XBR8 review and the introduction of a product update that affects the Samsung A950's picture quality. See below for details on the update.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=mncol;txt

...This is hardly the first time we're aware of Samsung updating one of its HDTV models in the middle of the product's lifespan--see also the LN-T4671F, the LN-T4681F and the PN50A650. Previous updates also involved minor picture-quality improvements that, frankly, were often inspired by findings published in CNET reviews. The changes were usually addressed by downloadable firmware updates, which is an imperfect method compared to online updates, but at least it's something...

I love how CNET takes credit for finding all the problems which are addressed by Samsung: "...Previous updates also involved minor picture-quality improvements that, frankly, were often inspired by findings published in CNET reviews. ..." Ya, this website's readers, with their multitude of phone calls to Samsung didn't have anything to do with it.

Did they take credit for finding TBE on the 71 Series and the 650 Series, too?
post #1003 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

I see a lot of talk about the motion settings and wondered if anyone else saw this tidbit by HDGuru

"The motion resolution winner, displaying all 1080 lines through processes called motion interpolation (used on all 120Hz LCD panels) and sequential LED backlight control (called Motion Plus) was the Samsung LN-46A950. It is the only display ever tested that resolved 100% of the moving image’s detail. Congratulations to Samsung’s engineering team for eliminating motion blur on an LCD display! Please note: this performance level resulted from activating the display’s Motion Plus control and setting the interpolation (called Auto Motion by Samsung) to “low.” Any other combination of the motion control settings resulted in motion blur, dropping the perfect 1080 line score down to as low as 330 lines!"

Now I know it doesn't say anything about brightness but it seems like it really has a big impact on the resolution. Not sure if this is something anyone would care to test or not but thought I would throw it up here.
post #1004 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed that also, with AMP on low and LED Motion PLus engaged the picture seems too dark and not as sharp. I tried and tried again with various settings and still cant get a bright, sharp, crisp picture with it engaged.

Granted with LED Motion Plus off the tv produces a super bright and sharp picture which is outstanding. I was just trying to see if I could get a perfect setting that would work with it on.
post #1005 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulLemonhead View Post

I love how CNET takes credit for finding all the problems which are addressed by Samsung: "...Previous updates also involved minor picture-quality improvements that, frankly, were often inspired by findings published in CNET reviews. ..." Ya, this website's readers, with their multitude of phone calls to Samsung didn't have anything to do with it.

Did they take credit for finding TBE on the 71 Series and the 650 Series, too?

Can this be the reason why prices are dropping so fast. But in all the 950 still looks nice with it defect. Has it been talked about here allot? I have not heard of this problem until now.
post #1006 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting as the first people reported darker blacks on this compared to the XBR8, but now that they raised the blacks, C-Net mentions that the XBR8 has deeper blacks than the 950.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #1007 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

so is this upgrade making the black levels worse, I am confused here. I got the 950 when it first came out and the black level is dark, so someone getting a newer version will get a lighter black level. Am I missing something here, wouldnt this be bad.
post #1008 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It makes the black level lighter, but also increases shadow detail (improves the gamma).

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #1009 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-TV View Post

Slumpey,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Samsung info and about the XBR8 review on Crave. Going to read about the Samsung! first. [I just 4 and a 1/2 hours at Sony Style today.]

anytime, which one do you like better. Have you decided which one you are going to get.
post #1010 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still leaning towards the Samsung (glossY screen)...higher contrast ratio. Its like looking thru a window. This is what one of your fellow a950 owners, 'puremind,' posted earlier in the XBR8 owners thread.

QUOTE FROM 'PUREMIND':
I prefer a screen that will perform great all the time if I close my curtains to a screen that will perform only 90% most of the time because it doesn't have a clear panel.

So I prefer either matte (works best under heavy light conditions) or reflective (works best under low light conditions), but not a mixture of both, as otherwise you never reach the viewing optimum.... I certainly prefer to organize my room around the TV than the contrary. I just can't renounce to the extra 10% quality that Clear Panels yield when used properly.
[END QUOTE]

I have to agree with him. I want to get a TV that give me an experience like when I saw Ratatouille in DLP CINEMA. The picture just jumped off the screen.

Now reading about this Samsung update thing, I gather their lowering the black level a little bit to increase shadwo detail. To me, this is a "BAD" thing, as I rather have deeper blacks. Although I'm no pro like you guys when it comes to finding blooming and other stuff. And if the reflections bother me so much that I can't enjoy the TV, then I will jump ship to an XBR8. I better hurry out and get a first batch release (not updated) 950.

post #1011 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

we need to get a review from someone here who has seen both a 950 from the first batch and one from the second batch to give an honest opinion if the upgrade is better or worse in terms of pq.
post #1012 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Well said slumpey. Sorry for the dumb question. In the article it says sets that are sent to market after September 20, 2008. So anything with a build date after Sep 20, 2008, is an UPDATED(?) model?

post #1013 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Since there's a problem with the first batch of the A950's couldn't they just download a firmware upgrade for it or it needs more than that?
post #1014 of 3779 Old 10-16-2008, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Since there's a problem with the first batch of the A950's couldn't they just download a firmware upgrade for it or it needs more than that?

your best bet is to go to the source and read for yourself --

cnet 950 review update statement:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33182079.html
scoll down to read the full update statement at the bottom of page 1.

and the crave blog extended comments:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10066772-1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET CRAVE blog View Post

....Unfortunately, there's no way for owners of current A950s to easily get the upgrade or perform it themselves. According to a contact at Samsung, one could perform a service-menu-level change that would approximate the update, but ideally new hardware, specifically the new "local dimming" board, is required. Intrepid owners who contact Samsung customer support (1-800-SAMSUNG) and persuade the representative that they need the upgrade (hint: claim the set is "defective" and mention a "loss of extreme shadow detail") might be able to get the company to send a tech out with a new board. But that's an even more imperfect method, in our opinion. ....

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #1015 of 3779 Old 10-17-2008, 12:12 AM

I'm pretty surprised samsung did this. The a950 is great out of the box and dark levels and shadow detail, with proper calibration is serene. I'm not surprised that they modified service menu defaults for dimming since some customers may not appreciate the uber black and view the TV in a brighter environment like a show room. I am surprised though that there is a change to hardware. It's the LED board that controls the LEDs not the backlight it self. I would really like more technical information on the difference between the original board and the new one... are the capabilities different or is it just programmed differently?

Pretty sure I won't bother with this "upgrade". I'm more than satisfied with the calibration results.
post #1016 of 3779 Old 10-17-2008, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

wonderbread, when did you get your tv exactly. you started posting recently so you might have one of the new versions.

I think a good way to check is to look at your firmware. The earlier models had a May/08 date associated with them. Wonder what the second version says,
post #1017 of 3779 Old 10-17-2008, 04:53 AM

I called support last night regarding my 950 and the update.

The support tech started to walk me through the picture menus trying to help me with HDMI levels. I stopped him right away and explained that I'm comfortable changing settings in the menu and wanted to know whether or not my specific set had the new local dimming board.

Needless to say, at this time, the support was horrible. He had no idea what I was talking about. I explained what had been done and that new hardware was being used on all new 950's and he said, "Yes, that's our newest model." ...sigh

When I asked him to look up the date my set was manufactured, he could only see that it was September '08. I remembered from registering the set on samsung's website, it said manufactured 9/30/2008. So, according to CNET, I've got the new board.

I'm a little sceptical of that date however, because I ordered from ABT on 10/1/2008, and it was at my house by 10/8/2008. The timeline from production line to my house was a whopping 10 days? If so, that's pretty impressive, but to go from Mexico to Chicago to SE Ohio in 10 days is a pretty rapid schedule for a package this size.

I'm very eager to hear some better info on how to determine if my 950 is pre-update or post-update. Serial number ranges, software versions, etc.

Anyhow, anyone who does trust the samsung website and hasn't checked or forgot, go register your serial to see "a" manufacture date.

Update: I played around with some different serial numbers on their website, the seventh to the last digit seems to change the month of manufacture, and each month reports the last day. So it appears mine could have been made anytime during the month of September. Anyone own an October manufactured set?
post #1018 of 3779 Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 AM

arikmoon,

I had a similar experience when ordering and registering my set. I ordered from Tweeter on 9/25. When I ordered, they said they expected the sets to arrive at the warehouse in mid October - so they were not in stock. They arrived on 10/8. It shipped 10/9, arrived 10/10.

When I registered the set I also got the 9/30 date. I also noticed (from what I can remember) that the 55 950 had 3 slightly different model numbers. Not sure if that is an indicator as to this new update?

Jerremy
post #1019 of 3779 Old 10-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

I noticed that also, with AMP on low and LED Motion PLus engaged the picture seems too dark and not as sharp. I tried and tried again with various settings and still cant get a bright, sharp, crisp picture with it engaged.

Granted with LED Motion Plus off the tv produces a super bright and sharp picture which is outstanding. I was just trying to see if I could get a perfect setting that would work with it on.

Probably not. Tried that on both the 81F and the 950. AMP strobing the LEDs at 120Hz cuts the effective brightness down to less than half -- this is just the law of physics. I hope one day Samsung will double the # of actual LED's in these so that when AMP is enaged, the second set of LEDs will kick in to bring the brightness back up to pre-AMP levels. That would be the cheapest way to do it....

-
- Balance Between
- Quality & Price!
post #1020 of 3779 Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arikmoon View Post

I.....When I asked him to look up the date my set was manufactured,....

doesn't samsung give the manuf date on the label on the back of the set?

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page