Samsung Series 9 Owners - Observations, Comments and Advice - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by berthman View Post

Horizontal viewing for 45*, you would be laying on the floor, surely?

I thought the horizontal viewing angle was left-right? If that is of 45 degrees, that basically means that if you're not facing the TV , you barely see it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 AM

I would say on the horizontal you have about 30 degrees before you start to see a change but it is only a slight change. But you can notice it and i'm sure if you are on this board reading this then you are picky. To me even at 80 degrees from center it still looks good.
post #93 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 AM

And how would a 650/750 compare? No change before the 70-80 degrees?
post #94 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmartel View Post

And how would a 650/750 compare? No change before the 70-80 degrees?

750 had a better viewing range, but not that much better. In my own opinion, it doesn't hurt the 950 very much unless you plan on watching from the side alot. The over pq of the 950 is far above the 750 . But once again, just my opinion.
post #95 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 AM

As of today, you can buy the 46" or 55" A950 online at Best Buy.
post #96 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogiboi View Post

750 had a better viewing range, but not that much better. In my own opinion, it doesn't hurt the 950 very much unless you plan on watching from the side alot. The over pq of the 950 is far above the 750 . But once again, just my opinion.

Thanks, eases my concerns. Will stop by Samsung Experience when I get to the city and have a look at it. The deep black is definitely a big plus and worst case, I'll just buy some swivel base for when we're in the kitchen!
post #97 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am just trying to figure out what mode everyone is watching the 950 in, standard, dynamic or movie.

I am watching standard mode right now but noticed the one option that movie mode has that standard mode doesnt is LED Motion PLUS. Should I be using this.
post #98 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

I am just trying to figure out what mode everyone is watching the 950 in, standard, dynamic or movie.

I am watching standard mode right now but noticed the one option that movie mode has that standard mode doesnt is LED Motion PLUS. Should I be using this.

I have been using Standard mode.
I switch to e.mode 'sports' for baseball
I switch to e.mode 'game' for ps3 games

True test should be tonight with football, but my local team (Patriots) is only in SD!!! I'll have to watch Jax so I can see what HD looks like. Brady probably won't play entire game anyway
I wonder if Motion Plus would help or make triple ball worse...it will be fun to find out!
post #99 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Has anyone modified their settings?

Any outcomes if so?
post #100 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcustom123 View Post

Don't know who CP is but this is where your credit card company comes into play. You simply notify CP or whoever that the TV is damaged and they can take it up with the credit card company because you're not paying the bill..end of story. They can choose to eat the re-stocking fee...or they can choose to eat the full 4K...it's up to them at that point.

I'm guessing that a few dead pixels doesn't constitute damage, and when your credit card company completes the investigation, that charge is going right back on your card. Then you can choose to eat the full 4k or eat the restocking fee.
post #101 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:

LED MP is going to dim the picture, but it should do a good job of cleaning up the motion better than AMP and without artifacts. Not sure, though, if movie mode is well suited for watching sporting events.
post #102 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmab63 View Post

As of today, you can buy the 46" or 55" A950 online at Best Buy.

Still this...Wide color enhancer and CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) provide a vast array of colors for vibrant picture quality; incredible dynamic contrast ratio (2,000,000:1) with LED SmartLighting for an arresting viewing experience

I can't this it's a combo? Can't think why it would be, I'm sure it's not
post #103 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler13 View Post

I'm guessing that a few dead pixels doesn't constitute damage, and when your credit card company completes the investigation, that charge is going right back on your card. Then you can choose to eat the full 4k or eat the restocking fee.

I tought Samsung had a "zero dead pixel" policy?
post #104 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djap2 View Post

I have been using Standard mode.
I switch to e.mode 'sports' for baseball
I switch to e.mode 'game' for ps3 games

True test should be tonight with football, but my local team (Patriots) is only in SD!!! I'll have to watch Jax so I can see what HD looks like. Brady probably won't play entire game anyway
I wonder if Motion Plus would help or make triple ball worse...it will be fun to find out!

what do you have AMP set to?
post #105 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Called BB to see if they had a date for the stores to start stocking the 55950 but NG. She did say that they could give me free shipping for an online purchase....

"Wide color enhancer and CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) provide a vast array of colors for vibrant picture quality; incredible dynamic contrast ratio (2,000,000:1) with LED SmartLighting for an arresting viewing experience"

So it has both fluorescent and LED lighting?
post #106 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticat View Post

Called BB to see if they had a date for the stores to start stocking the 55950 but NG. She did say that they could give me free shipping for an online purchase....

"Wide color enhancer and CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) provide a vast array of colors for vibrant picture quality; incredible dynamic contrast ratio (2,000,000:1) with LED SmartLighting for an arresting viewing experience"

So it has both fluorescent and LED lighting?

Maybe this is Hyper Chameleon Hyper Hype Techonology

(Great Sarcasm - BTW, to clarify)

LMAO
post #107 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tought Samsung had a "zero dead pixel" policy?

No manufacture has a dead pixel policy. However, most stores would exchange it for another set if you buy it locally. Always check the return/exchange policy before you shell out the dough.

Go 24
post #108 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

No manufacture has a dead pixel policy. However, most stores would exchange it for another set if you buy it locally. Always check the return/exchange policy before you shell out the dough.

Ahh, it's for LCD monitors only.. the store has the following policy:

Quote:

Any concealed physical damage must be reported to us within (3) days of receipt so a claim may be filed and a replacement unit will be sent out."

But it's unclear if that covers dead pixels.
post #109 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ahh, it's for LCD monitors only.. the store has the following policy:

But it's unclear if that covers dead pixels.

It's a not technically a physical level of damage, more of a Logical issue, binary switch wise, and therefore maybe either a Flaw, within the manufacturers level of variance in quality standards (which you would hope not) which could be tough Sh!t on your/our part.

I will ask when next working at BBY what their policy is
post #110 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Well it doesn't constitute a fully working product either and if most people went this route and made is timely and expensive for the vendor to deal with they would quickly change their policy.
post #111 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berthman View Post

It's a not technically a physical level of damage, more of a Logical issue, binary switch wise, and therefore maybe either a Flaw, within the manufacturers level of variance in quality standards (which you would hope not) which could be tough Sh!t on your/our part.

I will ask when next working at BBY what their policy is

And keep in mind, just because this flaw is within the manufacturers quality standards doesn't mean you are stuck with the product either. Again, this is where you are protected by the credit card company....use them as your proxy.
post #112 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Its prolly already posted but how does the 950 compair to the 81,I bought the 4681 from bb when they had the super outlet sale for 1499.Its about half the price.
post #113 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:

bb has it, but it is not in the system. go to the store and have them pull it up, they are there.

I got mine from there and got 12% off.

Did you use one of those in the mail coupons??
post #114 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks, eases my concerns. Will stop by Samsung Experience when I get to the city and have a look at it. The deep black is definitely a big plus and worst case, I'll just buy some swivel base for when we're in the kitchen!

Where would you get a swivel base for it? I was kindof thinking I would want that for mine too.
post #115 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:

And keep in mind, just because this flaw is within the manufacturers quality standards doesn't mean you are stuck with the product either. Again, this is where you are protected by the credit card company....use them as your proxy.

But they usually only double the original manufacturer warranty (which doesn't cover this flaw), so I'm not sure how that would work.
post #116 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

But they usually only double the original manufacturer warranty (which doesn't cover this flaw), so I'm not sure how that would work.

You claim to have received 'damaged goods' or not fully functional product.
post #117 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aypues View Post

Where would you get a swivel base for it? I was kindof thinking I would want that for mine too.

Something like this, but it doesn't look nice.
post #118 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

are we absolutely sure there is only 64 zones in the 950 series. Do we have proof of this, where is the picture.

How many zones were in last yrs 81f LED series.

I saw philips LED has 128 and sony xbr8 will probably have 170.
post #119 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Well it doesn't constitute a fully working product either and if most people went this route and made is timely and expensive for the vendor to deal with they would quickly change their policy.

Quote:

A fully working product is defined by the manufacturer's policy on dead pixels. Some disclaim to allow a certain number as a result of the technology limitations. Typically there's some minimum number of pixels (and it's greater than 1) that constitutes a defective unit and then it's replaced under warranty. That's if the dead pixels show up, say, 6 months down the road. Some retailers will gladly exchange the set if you get something on delivery that obviously exceeds the manufacturer's policy. But don't think that 2 dead pixels is going to get you anywhere, including with your credit card. They're still in the business of making money and will investigate the claim thoroughly. It will come back to you if the manufacturer and the retailer are in the "right", meaning you will be stuck with it. You certainly can try this, but in my experience, it's not going to net you the results you expect. Your best bet is to pick someone with a no questions asked return policy.
post #120 of 3779 Old 08-28-2008, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A fully working product is defined by the manufacturer's policy on dead pixels. Some disclaim to allow a certain number as a result of the technology limitations. Typically there's some minimum number of pixels (and it's greater than 1) that constitutes a defective unit and then it's replaced under warranty. That's if the dead pixels show up, say, 6 months down the road. Some retailers will gladly exchange the set if you get something on delivery that obviously exceeds the manufacturer's policy. But don't think that 2 dead pixels is going to get you anywhere, including with your credit card. They're still in the business of making money and will investigate the claim thoroughly. It will come back to you if the manufacturer and the retailer are in the "right", meaning you will be stuck with it. You certainly can try this, but in my experience, it's not going to net you the results you expect. Your best bet is to pick someone with a no questions asked return policy.

I would always pay for delivery, and insist before signing for the product to at least turn it on, and LOOK, if a problem then refuse.

BBY is a good return policy, and also has a few delivery options, and with the premium they will plug it in, turn it on etc so for about $130-150 you have safe passage to your TV Stand, and the ability to return and not pay more and more delivery fee's if it's not right.

I can't see the risk in cramming a TV (size within reason, but costing whatever) into the back of a crampt car, truck, or transporting it yourself to your house where there is a panel involved to risk someone rear ending you, hitting a bad pothole or jacking up your new TV and having an insurance claim to deal with...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page