List of LCD panel manufactures (the panel behind the brand) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think it’s time to compile a list of LCD manufactures to see who supplies who. I’ll start off with the information I’ve managed to gather so far:

• LG Display: TN, IPS, S-IPS, SA-IPS, H-IPS --- Samsung, LGE, Philips, Vizo, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, AmTRAN and Skyworth

• Sharp Japan: ASV (variant of VA) --- Toshiba, Philips, Sony and Sharp

• Chi Mei Optoelectronics: TN, S-MVA and LCS MVA --- Samsung, Philips, Funai, LGE, Toshiba and Sony

• AU Optronics: TN, P-MVA and A-MVA --- Sony, Samsung, Philips, LGE, Toshiba, Proview, Panasonic

• Chunghwa Picture Tubes: TN and MVA variant --- Sony, Samsung and Konka

• Samsung SDI: TN, PVA and S-PVA -- JVC, Samsung, Sony, Philips, Sanyo and Panasonic

• Wistron Optronics: Unknown --- Sony

• IPS Alpha Technology (Hitachi-Matsushita): IPS Pro --- Hitachi and Panasonic

• Delta Electronics: Unknown

• TPV Technology Limited: Unknown

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde...s.xsl/5596.asp

http://displayblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.displayblog.com/

Also, it looks like not all Sony TVs are made in house due to demand and cost. According to Digitimes, Foxconn is manufacturing the 32”. But this isn’t bad new though since Foxconn pretty much manufactures most electronic products and components.

http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20070212VL201.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

in that article is say's that Foxxconn has been recuriting R&D staff from AmTran. Well do we all know who AmTran is a partner with and makes all their Flatpanal's? Why yes you are correct, Vizio!!!!!

Know what will the Vizio bashers have to come up with now? Sony has also been using AmTran. I love it.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We still don't know which Sony ranges are affected. I assule the low L series, but I have't got a clue tbh
post #4 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The fact that Vizio and Sony can use the same panel is meaningless with regard to what comes out of that panel.

Tony
post #5 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

but the fact remains that they are using AmTran for some of their manufacturing, the same company that is part owner of Vizio. It was right in the article of the list of Sony's contractor's. You can spin all you want but facts remain the same. Sony has contracted out AmTran for some of their products. LG at one point was looking to AmTran as well. So they must be doing something right.

Sony's LCD TV contract partners currently include Amtran, Wistron, Delta Electronics and TPV Technology, according to market sources. The Japan-based TV giant is said to place more LCD TV orders with Taiwan-based makers this year for better profitability, said the sources.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

this may not affect the preformance as Sony uses quality panels and video processors.

In any case, as long as the reliability and build-quality are solid, we don't ave anything to worry about.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

No you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Obviously AmTran is really starting to be recognized. I feel Vizio has been unfairly criitzied by many on this board. Many who never owned one or would even give one a second glance.

But once again the the double standards come out. AmTran makes Vizio and it's " Ohh their crap, made by a cheap company". Sony contract's with them and all of sudden it's a different story. It's all BS
post #8 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The screen is a component. An attempt to compare Vizio & Sony because they share a component source is asinine.

Tony
post #9 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

The screen is a component. An attempt to compare Vizio & Sony because they share a component source is asinine.

I'm not comparing Sony to Vizio from the standpoint that they may or may not share the same panal. I just found it very very interesting that Sony has subcontracted out some of it's manufacturing to AmTran, part owner and sole manufacturer of Vizio. All the high end owners love to trash Vizio when in fact the company that manufacture's vizio is also manufacturing some of their tv's as well.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I'm not comparing Sony to Vizio from the standpoint that they may or may not share the same panal. I just found it very very interesting that Sony has subcontracted out some of it's manufacturing to AmTran, part owner and sole manufacturer of Vizio. All the high end owners love to trash Vizio when in fact the company that manufacture's vizio is also manufacturing some of their tv's as well.

The PANELS. Why does Vizio look like crap compared to Sony? Because of Sony's Video Processor and other components. For example, Porsche and VW are (or at least were) the same company. They may share some of the same parts, or even frames, but due to the engines, aerodynamics, drivetrains, etc., it would be asinine to compare VW to Porsche.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #11 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

The PANELS. Why does Vizio look like crap compared to Sony? Because of Sony's Video Processor and other components. For example, Porsche and VW are (or at least were) the same company. They may share some of the same parts, or even frames, but due to the engines, aerodynamics, drivetrains, etc., it would be asinine to compare VW to Porsche.

Agreed.
post #12 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What in Sam Hill are you talking about? I said....... I found it very very interesting that Sony has AmTran as one of their subcontracted companies to make some of their models. The same AmTran that is part owner of Vizio and manufacturer's their TV's. The same company you all like to trash. And now Sony is using them to manufacturer some of their TV's.

What are talking about Porsche's and VW's? I thought it just to be very ironic that you guys like to trash Vizio when Sony is using their company.
Yes Sony is Great blah blah blah. But it is funny they are using a Vizio plant.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

What in Sam Hill are you talking about? I said....... I found it very very interesting that Sony has AmTran as one of their subcontracted companies to make some of their models. The same AmTran that is part owner of Vizio and manufacturer's their TV's. The same company you all like to trash. And now Sony is using them to manufacturer some of their TV's.

What are talking about Porsche's and VW's? I thought it just to be very ironic that you guys like to trash Vizio when Sony is using their company.
Yes Sony is Great blah blah blah. But it is funny they are using a Vizio plant.

Nevermind, you don't understand what we are talking about. I am by no means a Sony Fanboy, actually more of a Samsung Fanboy, but let's just end it at that. What you will find is manufacturers go to a bunch of different plants, particularly the big boys, in order to get their glass, so it doesn't surprise me.

post #14 of 25 Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you two are not really arguing against each other...just saying different things.

The point is, Sony and Vizio are more in common than some of us previously thought. However, Sonys still generally look better than Vizios because of their other higher quality components as the panel itself is just one part of the equation.

post #15 of 25 Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Here is a list from last year:

According to DisplaySearch, the following are the top seven LCD TV module makers and a list of their top five customers.
(Different size ranges have different suppliers with many)

LPL - Phillips, LGE, Panasonic, Toshiba, Amtran.
Samsung - Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, JVC, Sanyo
AUO - Samsung, Philips, Toshiba, Panasonic, LGE
CMO - Funai, Xoceco, Westinghouse, Proview, TTE
Sharp - Sharp, Philips, JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic (Olevia & NuVision 65") 2008 Toshiba Partnership - which panels are unknown
CPT - Philips, Funai, Konka, Samsung, TPV
QDI - Sharp, Philips

Many LCD TV brands such as Dell, Grundig, HP, Polaroid, Relysis, Vizio, ViewSonic, Westinghouse and Syntax-Brillian outsource 100% of their LCD TV set manufacturing.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #16 of 25 Old 08-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:

For example, Porsche and VW are (or at least were) the same company.

OT, but Porsche is now the majority stakeholder of Volkswagen. Disclosure: I own a VW but aspire to a Porsche.

"It's funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

- - Alex DeLarge, A Clockwork Orange
post #17 of 25 Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Here is a list from last year:

According to DisplaySearch, the following are the top seven LCD TV module makers and a list of their top five customers.
(Different size ranges have different suppliers with many)

LPL - Phillips, LGE, Panasonic, Toshiba, Amtran.
Samsung - Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, JVC, Sanyo
AUO - Samsung, Philips, Toshiba, Panasonic, LGE
CMO - Funai, Xoceco, Westinghouse, Proview, TTE
Sharp - Sharp, Philips, JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic (Olevia & NuVision 65") 2008 Toshiba Partnership - which panels are unknown
CPT - Philips, Funai, Konka, Samsung, TPV
QDI - Sharp, Philips

Many LCD TV brands such as Dell, Grundig, HP, Polaroid, Relysis, Vizio, ViewSonic, Westinghouse and Syntax-Brillian outsource 100% of their LCD TV set manufacturing.

Thanks

it seems the info is somewhat outdated

LPL - Phillips, LGE, Panasonic, Toshiba, Amtran amd soon, Samsung
Samsung - Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, JVC, Sanyo, Philips
AUO - Samsung, Philips, Toshiba, Panasonic, LGE, Sony
CMO - Funai, Xoceco, Westinghouse, Proview, TTE, Samsung
Sharp - Sharp, Philips, JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic (Olevia & NuVision 65") 2008 Toshiba Partnership - Sharp and LPL
CPT - Philips, Funai, Konka, Samsung, TPV, Sony
QDI - Sharp, Philips (now owned by AUO)
post #18 of 25 Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM View Post

Thanks

it seems the info is somewhat outdated

LPL - Phillips, LGE, Panasonic, Toshiba, Amtran amd soon, Samsung
Samsung - Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, JVC, Sanyo, Philips
AUO - Samsung, Philips, Toshiba, Panasonic, LGE, Sony
CMO - Funai, Xoceco, Westinghouse, Proview, TTE, Samsung
Sharp - Sharp, Philips, JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic (Olevia & NuVision 65") 2008 Toshiba Partnership - Sharp and LPL
CPT - Philips, Funai, Konka, Samsung, TPV, Sony
QDI - Sharp, Philips (now owned by AUO)

BTW:

Prove they are outdated! Contracts don't change overnight and new sources do not become available overnight either. As new plants come on line and many will be new partnerships evolve but who the hell are you to dispute it. Instead of listing types of panels which doesn't mean Jack to anyone tell us the actual sources.

I'd say Display Search sure the hell knows what and who they are tracking better than you - they are the damn SOURCE not YOU! Just what is your expertise other than you can create and post a PDF. Those partnerships are fact above and new ones evolve if you follow the foreign press releases in Digitimes and similar where it all originates as I do.

Fact is Panasonic doesn't even build it's own glass until it finishes it's own plant 2009/10. Sharp has partnership with Sony/Toshiba and owns 18% of Pioneer and partnering in their new plant for 2010 - all of them. Samsung even has agreements to share panels with LG their primary rival in Korea in the future. Only those handful I list actually build glass and most of the time your buying rebadge panels on those that don't. Contracts for panels don't arrive one day and then end next month when they have but a handful of sources - they are forged for years as they simply don't have unlimited resources from which to draw from.

What are your credentials to dispute the sources?

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #19 of 25 Old 08-27-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Panizzi View Post

OT, but Porsche is now the majority stakeholder of Volkswagen. Disclosure: I own a VW but aspire to a Porsche.

lol, you go man!! I once had a 75 911S, until I crashed it. Now I drive a Van, lol.

post #20 of 25 Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can understand when people are Kuro fanboys. I mean, cost be damned, Kuros are awesome TVs. But how the hell can people be Vizio fanboys? Isn't that like being a fanboy of the Chevy Malibu or something?
post #21 of 25 Old 08-28-2008, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

BTW:

Prove they are outdated! Contracts don't change overnight and new sources do not become available overnight either. As new plants come on line and many will be new partnerships evolve but who the hell are you to dispute it. Instead of listing types of panels which doesn't mean Jack to anyone tell us the actual sources.

I'd say Display Search sure the hell knows what and who they are tracking better than you - they are the damn SOURCE not YOU! Just what is your expertise other than you can create and post a PDF. Those partnerships are fact above and new ones evolve if you follow the foreign press releases in Digitimes and similar where it all originates as I do.

Fact is Panasonic doesn't even build it's own glass until it finishes it's own plant 2009/10. Sharp has partnership with Sony/Toshiba and owns 18% of Pioneer and partnering in their new plant for 2010 - all of them. Samsung even has agreements to share panels with LG their primary rival in Korea in the future. Only those handful I list actually build glass and most of the time your buying rebadge panels on those that don't. Contracts for panels don't arrive one day and then end next month when they have but a handful of sources - they are forged for years as they simply don't have unlimited resources from which to draw from.

What are your credentials to dispute the sources?

Who died and made you the information king

In the order of listing:

LGD and Samsung:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=23283

Samsun and Philips: I've seen Philips sets in the UK with S-PVA panel. I know because the latest S-PVA are very easy to identify from other VA panels.

Sony, CMO, Sharp and AUO: http://www.displayblog.com/2008/04/0...build-lcd-tvs/

Samsung and CMO: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050720PR205.html

Sony and CPT: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070206VL202.html

QDI and AUO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanta_Display_Inc.

BTW, Panasonic do manufacturers their own panel to use on most of their sets

http://www.ips-alpha.co.jp/en/products/index.html

You may also want to read this too

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde...s.xsl/5596.asp

post #22 of 25 Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

Samsung and CMO: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050720PR205.html

You didn't really just link to a 3+ year old story did you?
post #23 of 25 Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Samsung has been using CMO panel since the UK R8 series

It is still a big problem today, but most people stick to 37"+

If you'd like more info, please visit AVForum.co.uk
post #24 of 25 Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this may not affect the performance as Sony uses quality panels and video processors.

In any case, as long as the reliability and build-quality are solid, we don't ave anything to worry about.

Don't make me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

I can understand when people are Kuro fanboys. I mean, cost be damned, Kuros are awesome TVs. But how the hell can people be Vizio fanboys? Isn't that like being a fanboy of the Chevy Malibu or something?

Simple, as soon as they realize Sony uses Vizio suppliers, all of the sudden Vizio's aren't too bad after all.

Bottom line is Sony has been using crap components and has had all kinds of problems with their faulty SexRD, cloudy panels, motion artifacts galore, bad CS, D Nile after D Nile, the auto dimming fiasco, and now sparklies.

Get over the 4 letters and move on.
post #25 of 25 Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

I think the info on Sony is imcomplete. Sony also has a joint venture with Toyota. Plainly the main purpose for Toyota is for the small LCD screens in the vehicles it produces, but Sony brings the know how to the table and uses the plant to for other things.

I am not sure if any production there is for Sonys larger tv sets or not, just thought I would throw it out there.

Also as mark_1080p has said, Sony has other issue with it's products. In Japan they are not the leader in sales of LCD TVs. This is because of the reputaion there for Sony products there to live to just past the warranty period.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays