Official Samsung LNxxA850 Owner's Thread - Page 186 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, I'm in the US. I guess $400 isn't such a great deal after all. Not sure if I should just ride it out with my 46" A860 until it dies and just get one of the models recommended to replace it. So many decisions :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I went into service menu to set up Cal-Night and Cal-Day. I didn't see that option in the service menu. Does the 52A850 model not offer this option within the service menu?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I don't think so. I know i do use it on my F8000 though.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:42 AM

Liked: 21
Thanks.

I am also using it on my F8000. Just curious if it was available on older models.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:52 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've had an LN52A860 (with the blue Touch of Color bezel) since September 2008. I don't believe cal day/night was available back then. If it did, my friend, who professionally calibrated it, would certainly have mentioned it. Back then, I was just happy the model didn't show three footballs during a forward pass. smile.gif
bestboy1 likes this.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got a new 65" Samsung 7150 so I've hung the 52" 850 series on the wall in the bedroom. Had to use the side hdmi 4 until I got some right angle port savers because the wall mount is low profile.

Anyway, tried to reach behind the TV and finagle them in there tonight. I bought 2 so I could connect a TiVo mini and a DVD player. Had a picture and sound for a minute but somehow swapping the longer hdmi cable to port #2 (I think I'm OCD) I lost picture and sound in the two back ports. Didn't try the third because my hands were killing me.

Could I have damaged the ports somehow? I didn't put a lot of pressure on the port savers that I know of. Power cycling didn't help. Might get someone to help me take it off the wall and try again tomorrow.

Btw port #4 was fine.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Am I the only one still using this tv?

New issue. Having a problem with a Sony bdp-s3200 blu Ray player. I think something weird is going on with my tv resolution or something. On hdmi 1 the 3200 is fine. On hdmi 2, when I first go to the 3200 the top corner of the screen says 720x480. The 3200 will play but a minute or so into whatever I'm playing, it will make this loud screech/crackle sound and go to a blank tv screen saying Mode not Supported. If I'm on hdmi 1 when the 3200 comes on it says 1920x1080 or whatever and everything works. that's why I think it's some weird resolution issue. So, it might be more of a tv issue but I've never had an issue with any other dvd or my panasonic blu ray player.

And I know I can just change the settings in my harmony to use hdmi 1 for blu ray and hdmi 2 for my tivo but it just concerns me why I have to do this.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hah, this thread is a real blast from the past! I was posting in it early and often!

I remember this model vividly, it came with either the Red or Blue ToC and was the first true "super thin" LCD model. Funny thing was, it used a traditional CCFL backlight!

I really think it was this exact model that convinced Samsung to stick with the super thin sets and what eventually pushed them towards Edge-Lit LED.

Glad to read that some owners are still using them 7 years later!
Old 02-14-2015, 01:55 AM
etp

Cool

One of the best pictures period and still working. I have a 8000 in the family room but the 850 is in the bedroom.

Looking at the 4000K units but I am little gun shy until the product line for these stabilizes.

ETP
Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm still using the old 52" 850 red ToC too! Still kicking and providing a great picture as our primary TV.

I would love to go for a bigger set but do not want to go down in quality. Ideally I'd love to jump to a 75" set like the 75" 7150 or the new 75" JU7100 but still gun shy. I jumped on the 850 day one and went through the all the initial FW updates, had to have the panel replaced for excessive backlight clouding, and even had the inverters replaced because of IR remote interference. Ever since it's been working like a champ. So, I'm not anxious to go through that again with 4K but it's getting so tempting...

Last edited by JmzL; 04-02-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Had the opportunity to dumpster dive at BB again today and picked up a sweet looking 46A850. Geek Squad guy was even nice enough to box it up for me (in the carton from the new TV he delivered). It has a steady standby light, which blinks once when you use the remote power button but doesn't power up. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but I'm thinking PSU. Is this model prone to capacitor issues?
Old 04-04-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bought a 46A850 back in 2009 and it still looks fantastic today (also had a 750 that was good, but not as good). We moved houses and the viewing distance is now around 16 feet, all OTA amd Netflix/Roku content, in a living room with lots of ambient light... looking for something much bigger, but the picture on ours makes it really hard to think about moving on.
Old Today, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwalsh View Post
Had the opportunity to dumpster dive at BB again today and picked up a sweet looking 46A850. Geek Squad guy was even nice enough to box it up for me (in the carton from the new TV he delivered). It has a steady standby light, which blinks once when you use the remote power button but doesn't power up. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but I'm thinking PSU. Is this model prone to capacitor issues?

Well, got this going again - as expected the PSU was bad, and I ordered a replacement from Tri-State Module ($42 plus shipping), but I was a bit bummed to find out that it also appears to have had tab bond problems.

When I first fired it up the vertical lines on the right side of the screen were moderately bad, but they started to disappear with a combination of the set heating up and my massaging towards the corners of it. Now, as you can see, I'm down to just 3 lines of pixels that stubbornly refuse to clear, but I've got some thermal pads coming from off of eBay and I'm rather hoping that I'll be successful in getting the bad tab(s) to seat better if I use them between tab and frame. Well that's the technique anyway, and it's been used with some success on the badcaps.net TV forum.

Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 34.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	669745   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 218.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	669769  

Last edited by michaelwalsh; Today at 02:25 PM.

Tags
Samsung Ln46a850 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color