post #91 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 AM
dem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler13 View Post

...if you throw in the $500 free gas deal, it blows anyone else away.

Be sure to read the fine print on that deal, as it's not that convenient. According to a brochure I received in the mail:

"Customer will be required to pay a $5 refundable registration fee and to submit $100 in receipts for gas purchases each month for 20 months to receive a $25 gas card per month."

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

Be sure to read the fine print on that deal, as it's not that convenient. According to a brochure I received in the mail:

"Customer will be required to pay a $5 refundable registration fee and to submit $100 in receipts for gas purchases each month for 20 months to receive a $25 gas card per month."

Thought I mentioned it before, but maybe not. I spend over $100/month on gas easy and Tweeter is on the way home from work (actually next to the gas station I use). I will be spending the $500 anyways over the next 20 months whether I get the TV or not. Others will have to decide for themselves if it's worth it, but for the minor inconvenience, it can mean saving more than 20% on the TV (combined with the sale discount). That's Amazon savings with a local retailer.
post #93 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

... many other discount retailers are starting to get the 860 ... I really don't think the 860 is going to turn out to be some sort of limited edition set ... I never saw any promotional material or press releases from Samsung ...

I'm confused also, because you'd think limited edition would mean high-end retailers not discount. However, the original source for this is the original Samsung 8-series press release -- on the other hand, we've all seen how often Samsung seems to get details wrong in their promotional stuff. Here is the original quote from samsung:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung View Post

The Series 8 850 LCD HDTVs will be available in September in the 46 class (45.9-inch measured diagonally) and 52.0-inch sizes (model numbers: LN46A850 and LN52A850). The Series 8 860 LCD HDTVs, which include an additional USB 2.0 connection and a variation on the bezel design, will be available in similar sizes (model numbers: LN46A860 and LN52A860) at select retailers in September.
Link to Original Samsung Press Release

Furthermore, in the "Samsung LN52A850" thread stereodude pointed out US Appliance is owned by ABC Warehouse, and although I thought of ABC Warehouse as a discount retailer you can follow the link provided by stereodude. It describes them this way:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oakland Daily Press View Post

...They can pick out product lines they can make money on versus doing everything.

post #94 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SakeDrinker, if you get a chance, let us know about your panel and the display at night. Also, if you have an evenly backlit panel, can you tell me your model code. This is different than the model number. It will be one of the following:

LN52A850S1FXZA
LN52A850S1FXZC
LN52A850S1FXZX

Also, if you don't mind, check your mfg. date.

Thanks

GT: irunnoft
post #95 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW, in the FWIW category, I followed the suggestions on the Samsung site for unsticking a pixel. I turned the TV off, gently applied pressure to the spot and then turned the TV on. As I feared, it didn't work on either pixel.

Just sitting down to play Meet the Robinsons and run some Pixar Blu Ray through the TV as another member suggested. Maybe that will help! More on that later. However, I've never had any luck unsticking pixels.

post #96 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post

I'm confused also, because you'd think limited edition would mean high-end retailers not discount. However, the original source for this is the original Samsung 8-series press release -- on the other hand, we've all seen how often Samsung seems to get details wrong in their promotional stuff. Here is the original quote from samsung:

Ah, ok, thx for the info. In either case, we'll just have to see how many more retailers get the 860. I'm not too worried about that factor. My bigger concern at this point is figuring out whether the 8 series will be the set for me.

Vizio XVT473SV: 47" FALD with 640 LED's and 160 Zones.

Seeking: 65"+ FALD UHD with 1,200+ LED's and 350+ Zones.
post #97 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the record, my model code is LN52A850S1FXZA. I just called Samsung and got a service ticket started for this TV. Due to the stuck pixels and the clouding, it looks like I'll be getting a new panel installed on this TV. If that is the case, I'll have to get back to the forum with an update regarding that repair. Hopefully it will have fixed my issue. My local Circuit City in Asheville no longer has any 850s. . . probably because that's where SakeDrinker got his last night!!!

post #98 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Good luck with the ticket Irunnoft. Looking forward to seeing the clouding pics and would't mind seeing the stuck pixels from up close and at a distance too if you can. Obviously you can't expect a perfect panel, almost every LCD experiences some kind of clouding and/or flashlighting issue. What I've realized is that it's all about getting the best value LCD set at this point in time if you must have an LCD over plasma. It's getting late in the LCD game and new technologies are on the horizon. It sounds like you've found a great set to hold you over for this relatively short period of time until we get there.

post #99 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good luck with the ticket Irunnoft. Looking forward to seeing the clouding pics and would't mind seeing the stuck pixels from up close and at a distance too if you can. Obviously you can't expect a perfect panel, almost every LCD experiences some kind of clouding and/or flashlighting issue. What I've realized is that it's all about getting the best value LCD set at this point in time if you must have an LCD over plasma. It's getting late in the LCD game and new technologies are on the horizon. It sounds like you've found a great set to hold you over for this relatively short period of time until we get there.

Seriously androyd, I can't tell you just how amazing the picture is on this set. I was just watching Meet the Robinsons on Blu Ray this afternoon and the PQ is just phenomenal...and I'm not brand new to the world of 1080p. I've had an XBR2 that I've been watching all these Blu Rays on before. That XBR was primarily my gaming TV, but when it was family movie night, we shunned the ancient 50" RPTV Sony in the living room and piled in on the bed to watch the 40" XBR2! So, I guess nobody in my family is new to the world of HD. My wife, who normally doesn't geek out about tech stuff, can't quit commenting on this TV. She keeps saying things like "unbelievable" and "I just can't get over how great this picture is" or "this is unreal. . . LOOK AT THAT!" I know right where she's coming from.

Maybe I've learned a lot since the days of the XBR2 exchanging. I guess if just about any panel I get is going to have a degree of cloudiness or uneveness, I'll take this 850. It doesn't have the flashlight problem that 3 of my XBRs had. That's VERY hard to overlook. These are just slight puffy clouds that are in a few places on the screen. There might be like four or five. I'll definitely take a picture tonight. It's gonna break my heart to do it, but it's for the good of the collective forum members. I will have to try turning the power saver on to see if that helps out. I'll take an A/B shot - one with power saver on and one with power saver off. I know it was not turned on last night, but I did have the backlight dialed down to like 4 or 5.

Perhaps the way to deal with the limitations of the LCD panels is to have a saved setting specifically dialed in for night/home theater viewing. If I could find a setting that really does a nice job and also diminishes the intensity of the clouding, I could live with that. The majority of the TV viewing is going to be done during the day anyhow. Sounds like I've got myself a project!

post #100 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok Androyd, here's the pix of my two stuck pixels.

These shots were taken on macro with the lights on in the living room.

One is green

Here's the blue one

Ok I tried playing with a bunch of different settings (Dynamic, Standard, Movie) I also took some with the backlight adjusted between 4-5 and then one with Dynamic and the backlight on 8. I also took some with the Energy Saver on Auto and then on off for the Dynamic, backlight 8 picture.

We just got home, I turned the TV on and it had only been on for less than twenty minutes when I turned out all the lights and took these pictures. I don't know if the TV needs to be on for longer, but what I saw tonight is nothing like last night. This is much better and I really had to work to try to get the camera to take the pictures of the cloud. The really prominent one seems to be on the right side and about 1/4-1/2 way up. Last night, one of the more visible ones was in the bottom left corner. Granted, I know the picture isn't cloud free, but I can tell you that the scene I photographed from the 300 last night was just a whole lot worse than what I saw tonight. I'm optimistic that maybe the length of time I've been playing the TV plus playing some Pixar Blu Ray might have helped. I played the Pixar stuff at the recommendation of an AVS member to maybe help unstick the pixels.

At least one of the above pictures was taken on Dynamic, too.
Here's the one with Dynamic, Backlight 8 and Energy Saver OFF

post #101 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll have to check out the TV after it's been on for a while longer. My feeling is that if it looks like this, I'm willing to live with the two pixels and be happy because the clouding will be absolutely no problem for me.

I'll post back in a bit with a picture of what it looks like after it's been on for at least an hour or two.

post #102 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is the cloud directly behind a bolt/screw behind the TV?
post #103 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Is the cloud directly behind a bolt/screw behind the TV?

I don't know. I'll have to look.

post #104 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 PM

Irrunoft, i know how you feel man. I bought my 52 850 on friday. I hooked the tv up that night and i had a cluster of dead pixels in the bottom left of the screen. However there was no clouding on the tv at all. I called circuit city and told them about it Saturday morning about 11am. They were at the house by 12:15 and i live 30 minutes from the store. They exchanged the tv right on the spot no questions asked. This tv has some clouding on the left hand side about 6 inches up. But not enough to justify exchanging it and getting something worse.
post #105 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Now this is my first amp tv. I currently have 2 other 32" Samsung tvs which i am really impressed with. Which is why i have stuck with samsung on this purchase on the 52" 850. I have to say the amp on this tv is amazing. There are some artifacts here and there. But it isn't anything to get all worked up about. There is absolutely no halo on this tv at all. Which is why i didn't go with the 750. I just didn't know if it would bother me or not. The sound quality on the tv is very nice if you don't have a surround sound system. Blacks are amazing and the color quality is amazing. I have it paired with the samsung BDP1500 and the picture is stunning. I have the xbox 360 connected through component cables and the picture is beautiful. Wii looks good for 480p on this tv.
post #106 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the pics man. You have some minor clouding on the right side and towards the bottom right hand corner in the first couple pictures, but I don't notice any in your last two. Overall, blacks look excellent even from your camera and clouding isn't anywhere near I thought it'd be. At this point, I'm much more concerned with the pixel issue, especially since other owners (like ravens above) are reporting similar problems on their 8 series. I'm starting to wonder if the process of housing all the components into a slimmer bezel has anything to do with it... i.e. Are pixels more likely to be rubbing against the screen, as everything is being forced into a smaller area?

post #107 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 PM

Paranoyd it is funny that you ask about the pixels rubbing against the screen. I had 4 pixels stuck on my tv. All together that formed a square. I got on the internet and looked for a solution. They were talking about firmly pressing on the screen to see what would happen. So i took a micro fiber towel to try it out, i pressed on the area and the green pixels would start working but in matter of seconds they would blink and go back to green.
post #108 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens243 View Post

Paranoyd it is funny that you ask about the pixels rubbing against the screen. I had 4 pixels stuck on my tv. All together that formed a square. I got on the internet and looked for a solution. They were talking about firmly pressing on the screen to see what would happen. So i took a micro fiber towel to try it out, i pressed on the area and the green pixels would start working but in matter of seconds they would blink and go back to green.

I've never had a stuck pixel fix work yet.

post #109 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the TV has been on for over two hours now and the picture still looks the same to me. It doesn't look nearly as bad as it did last night. I took several pictures again. This time I brought up the menu so settings could be seen.

post #110 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the pics man. You have some minor clouding on the right side and towards the bottom right hand corner in the first couple pictures, but I don't notice any in your last two. Overall, blacks look excellent even from your camera and clouding isn't anywhere near I thought it'd be. At this point, I'm much more concerned with the pixel issue, especially since other owners (like ravens above) are reporting similar problems on their 8 series. I'm starting to wonder if the process of housing all the components into a slimmer bezel has anything to do with it... i.e. Are pixels more likely to be rubbing against the screen, as everything is being forced into a smaller area?

I'm less concerned about the clouds now, too. If this TV didn't have any stuck pixels, I'd quit worrying about it. Really, the two that I have don't interfere with my watching or enjoying the TV at all. It just bugs me knowing they're there.

Anyhow, I'm debating canceling the service call. I could get a brand new panel installed and get rid of the dead pixels. I could get a new panel and have more pixels! Or I could get a new panel with no clouds and no stuck pixels. However, the one I'm most afraid of is getting a panel that is really cloudy and much worse than what I've got. That does interfere with my enjoyment of the TV at night. What I've got now is almost unnoticeable.

So, the good news is that, in my case, the clouds have definitely lessened in severity as the TV has been played. I've only had it since Friday, but it has been used extensively.

post #111 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Here is a few picks, now its time for bed. 5:30 comes early
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
post #112 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 PM

The last picture isn't bad because of the tv. I actually zoomed in with the camera to see how it would turn out. The other pics are taken as if you are looking at the tv normally.
post #113 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The last picture isn't bad because of the tv. I actually zoomed in with the camera to see how it would turn out. The other pics are taken as if you are looking at the tv normally.

Ok, so now I know it wasn't my camera that was causing those lines in some of the pictures I took a few days ago. It does that if you get close to the TV or if you zoom in too much. Those lines are NOT present ever when viewing the picture. They just show up - for whatever reason - under certain conditions in photography.

Your set looks good to me. I didn't see the clouding in the first shot. Maybe I missed it, but if it's there can you point out where?

post #114 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, and that's just the thing... I don't want to be potentially fussing around on my own pressing against a brand new LCD screen, when screens are generally suppose to be avoided by touch at all costs. Since I don't have a big enough car to return a 52", I'd have to order this set online and thus would need to make sure that where I order from has a very liberal return policy. That will unfortunately most likely eliminate, as an option, the current online retailers that have this set priced well below MSRP and I'd have to go with a BB or CC instead.

For me personally, if I had any dead or stuck pixels within the first 30 days and bought from a place that allowed returns, the set would go back immediately without hesitation, even if I was experiencing little to no clouding. Later, if I had dead pixels after the 30 days, I'd deal with the manufacturer and push for a new panel. But a pixel problem alone won't always mean you'll get a new panel, which is why before the 30 day period it'd never be a question for me, I'd always just return it. We're far enough along in the LCD age where dead pixels shouldn't be an issue anymore. In fairness, it has gotten a lot better industry wide over the years. I think we all remember what an absolute nightmare it use to be.

Nice pics too by the way, very smooth with just a bit of clouding on the right side too. The last pic is fine as well, you'll get those lines whenever you're that close I believe. What I'd love to see are some pics by anyone who can get some during the daytime hours perhaps with any windows and/or blinds open in the room.

post #115 of 5555 Old 09-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

I'm less concerned about the clouds now, too. If this TV didn't have any stuck pixels, I'd quit worrying about it. Really, the two that I have don't interfere with my watching or enjoying the TV at all. It just bugs me knowing they're there.

Anyhow, I'm debating canceling the service call. I could get a brand new panel installed and get rid of the dead pixels. I could get a new panel and have more pixels! Or I could get a new panel with no clouds and no stuck pixels. However, the one I'm most afraid of is getting a panel that is really cloudy and much worse than what I've got. That does interfere with my enjoyment of the TV at night. What I've got now is almost unnoticeable.

So, the good news is that, in my case, the clouds have definitely lessened in severity as the TV has been played. I've only had it since Friday, but it has been used extensively.

Looks good overall man, it really does. I'd just use your entire 30 days to really feel it out and then return/exchange if you want. No sense in getting it serviced or sending it back right away IMO.

post #116 of 5555 Old 09-08-2008, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks good overall man, it really does. I'd just use your entire 30 days to really feel it out and then return/exchange if you want. No sense in getting it serviced or sending it back right away IMO.

My thoughts exactly.

post #117 of 5555 Old 09-08-2008, 06:32 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

Thanks for the good news. I've often read of owners who said clouding and flashlights diminished somewhat after use. I was hoping that would be the case for you.
post #118 of 5555 Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

Thanks for the good news. I've often read of owners who said clouding and flashlights diminished somewhat after use. I was hoping that would be the case for you.

Now, if only something could be done for those two annoying stuck pixels!

post #119 of 5555 Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

after 5 lcd's i've never experienced or witnessed this ever happening. maybe they were fooled by the autodim/ dynamic contrast.
post #120 of 5555 Old 09-08-2008, 04:18 PM

I just sold my Sony KDS 55A200 to my brother and purchased a Samsung LN 52A850. My brother always admired my set, on Saturday he said, "why not sell it to me", so here I am. I hope I made a good choice.

I just replaced the bulb on the Sony($250.00). Other than not happy with bulb replacement, the set has an incredible picture.

My question is this, did I make a wise choice in this purchase? If you had it to do again would you buy the 850?

I had to buy it from CC as BB did not have it in stock...the set will be delivered on Saturday morning.

Any comments or recommendations are appreciated.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46a850 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page