post #181 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

It's also been speculated that the 860 may have an 18 month warranty whereas the 850 has a 12 month warranty.

The 860 PDF file spec sheet on the Samsung site states that the 860 has an 18 month warranty, but when I was talking to one of the online retailers who's currently listing their 860's well below MSRP, they said it only has 12 months. The PDF file sheet *could* be wrong about this though, and it wouldn't be the first potential time either. Both PDF file sheets for the 850 and 860 advertise an integrated woofer, but their manuals don't mention a woofer, nor could I see one in the back or underside on the 850 I saw in person yesterday and I was desperately looking for it.

If the 860 turns out to only have 12 months, I'd get the 850 for sure as I don't need an additional USB, nor do I think I'd necessarily prefer the blue over the red. I'd have to *assume* if Samsung is giving an extra 3 months warranty to those who register their 850's, that they'd also do the same for 860's.

Irunnoft - what's your take on that black rubber strip on the back of the 850 bezel? Do you think that was Samsung's solution for halo?

Vizio XVT473SV: 47" FALD with 640 LED's and 160 Zones.

Seeking: 65"+ FALD UHD with 1,200+ LED's and 350+ Zones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been researching my next TV purchase on the forum for months. Have always been a Sony fan and had pretty much decided on the 46Z4100 or the 52XBR6. However, the comments from you 850 owners have given me serious pause.

I have not yet been able to see one in real life, so I have two questions:
1. Is the screen as glossy as the 650's?
2. We watch TV at night from a distance of 12 ft and there is always a table lamp on between the 2 primary viewing chairs...so will reflections/glare be an area of concern?

Thanks.
post #183 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:

I've got the set and I looked. If it's got an integrated woofer, it's so integrated that I can't even see it!

I've been following the LN-xxa750 thread for a few weeks now. It is a great set, however the new 8 series has kept me on the sidelines waiting. Yesterday, I ventured into CC for a side by side comparison of the models.

Most of the discussions here focus on the PQ and rightly so. But there may be a few of you out there like me who has some interest in the sets audio properties. Since it is destined for the bedroom, I was hoping to avoid external speakers. To summerize, regardless of what the "specs" may state; there is most definitely a distinction between the models. I spent the better part of an hour adjusting and swapping audio output (music, speech, movie) between the sets. The 750 has a drasticly improved audio performance over the 850.

If anyone is considering NOT using external speakers; I strongly advise avoiding the 8 series. It is a beautiful aesthetic technical achievement, but as an audio component...forget it. The 750's speakers sounds adequate and may suffice as a stand alone set.
post #184 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Clark View Post

I've been following the LN-xxa750 thread for a few weeks now. It is a great set, however the new 8 series has kept me on the sidelines waiting. Yesterday, I ventured into CC for a side by side comparison of the models.

Most of the discussions here focus on the PQ and rightly so. But there may be a few of you out there like me who has some interest in the sets audio properties. Since it is destined for the bedroom, I was hoping to avoid external speakers. To summerize, regardless of what the "specs" may state; there is most definitely a distinction between the models. I spent the better part of an hour adjusting and swapping audio output (music, speech, movie) between the sets. The 750 has a drasticly improved audio performance over the 850.

If anyone is considering NOT using external speakers; I strongly advise avoiding the 8 series. It is a beautiful aesthetic technical achievement, but as an audio component...forget it. The 750's speakers sounds adequate and may suffice as a stand alone set.

Thanks a lot for your post and research on this matter. That was the one thing I forgot to do yesterday when I saw the 850 and was comparing it to both the Z4100 and 750. Like I said, I looked hard for the woofer on the 850 based on where I thought it was located on the 750, and I concluded that it doesn't have one; the slimness of the bezel simply doesn't allow enough room apparently. Bottom line, you performed the most important test and I'm going to assume going forward that the 8 series models don't have a woofer, as not being mentioned in their manuals either.

I won't be using external speakers (at least for now) no matter what set I get, so I'd really like the woofer to be there. This is something I'll need to seriously consider should I decide on getting the 8 series. Still, overall, the improved design of the 850 over the 750, the apparent improvement in PQ, and not having to potentially deal with any halo issues would still sway me more towards the 850. I guess I'd just have to get an AVS receiver in the future if need-be, which wouldn't be such a horrible thing.

post #185 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 PM

paranoyd, now that you've seen the 850, do you think it rivals the sharpness of the Sonys? Z, W, or XBR4/5?

These sets have amazing color reproduction and the 750 comes close but not quite to the sharpness pop of even the W4100 in 1080 content.
post #186 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin952 View Post

paranoyd, now that you've seen the 850, do you think it rivals the sharpness of the Sonys? Z, W, or XBR4/5?

These sets have amazing color reproduction and the 750 comes close but not quite to the sharpness pop of even the W4100 in 1080 content.

Yeah, as I mentioned in my review on the prior page, I actually found the 850 to be sharper than the Z4100 and 750 that were right next to it. That was my most surprising finding out of all PQ elements. I even spent a lot of time calibrating both the 850 and Z4100 in their respective dynamic/vivid and custom modes and couldn't get the Z4100 to quite match the 850 with respect to sharpness. As for overall PQ, the 850 won hands down, the colors were far more rich, deep, accurate and even vibrant (in fairness, in part due to the glossy screen which I'm beginning to like). And as for aesthetics, well, it's not even close.

post #187 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

Thanks a lot for your post and research on this matter. That was the one thing I forgot to do yesterday when I saw the 850 and was comparing it to both the Z4100 and 750. Like I said, I looked hard for the woofer on the 850 based on where I thought it was located on the 750, and I concluded that it doesn't have one; the slimness of the bezel simply doesn't allow enough room apparently. Bottom line, you performed the most important test and I'm going to assume going forward that the 8 series models don't have a woofer, as not being mentioned in their manuals either.

I won't be using external speakers (at least for now) no matter what set I get, so I'd really like the woofer to be there. This is something I'll need to seriously consider should I decide on getting the 8 series. Still, overall, the improved design of the 850 over the 750, the apparent improvement in PQ, and not having to potentially deal with any halo issues would still sway me more towards the 850. I guess I'd just have to get an AVS receiver in the future if need-be, which wouldn't be such a horrible thing.

Maybe a couple of cheap speakers would be more than enough for what you have in mind. No need to spend all the money on a nice home surround system if you don't want it.

Go 24
post #188 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

That's a good idea too taurus, right now space is at such a premium though in my current place that I was hoping to get a decent piece of audio equipment built-in to my set. Of course most here would understandably think that's a dumb idea, as they can't imagine spending such a nice chunk of change on a set like this and not have it hooked-up to a sound system. Kinda like the random threads that've been popping up lately where someone wants to buy a 1080p set, but refuses to subscribe to HD signal... errr, you what?

BTW, are you in the market for a set or not? If so, you got things narrowed down yet? I keep seeing you pop into some of the same threads but can't tell if you're just snooping around.

post #189 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Still, overall, the improved design of the 850 over the 750, the apparent improvement in PQ, and not having to potentially deal with any halo issues would still sway me more towards the 850.

Paranoyd;
Could you please elaborate. I read your post comparing the PQ of 850 vs sony. What about the 850 vs 750? At CC, they were feeding the sets with only component video (ESPN-HD) feeds. It was difficult to do a complete comparison. To my eyes, the 850 did appear a tad "brighter" than the 750, but that could be based on out-of-the-box preset variations. Did you evaluate the PQs of these two models side by side with other video input sources (blue ray, 1080p, etc.)? Could you compare while tweeking the video adjustments?

I'm in the same boat. The 850 wins hands down regarding aethetics and 'cool' factor. No halo is a plus too, although I've read that Samsung is addressing a fix. So PQ issues remains a concern for me. The 750 blew away Sony at another B&M venue in my opinion. Thx for helping.
post #190 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a good idea too taurus, right now space is at such a premium though in my current place that I was hoping to get a decent piece of audio equipment built-in to my set. Of course most here would understandably think that's a dumb idea, as they can't imagine spending such a nice chunk of change on a set like this and not have it hooked-up to a sound system. Kinda like the random threads that've been popping up lately where someone wants to buy a 1080p set, but refuses to subscribe to HD signal... errr, you what?

BTW, are you in the market for a set or not? If so, you got things narrowed down yet? I keep seeing you pop into some of the same threads but can't tell if you're just snooping around.

It's going to be either 52A750 or 52A850 for the living room so I can move the 46" (65F) into the bedroom. Will see if the price for A850 is getting any better later. Otherwise, I can always fall back to the A750.

Go 24
post #191 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 04:10 PM

paranoyd androyd,

Just so you don't feel too lonely, I'll probably use this without a sound system also. My wife has enough problems dealing with a DVR and a TV. I'd rather not have to pull an external sound system into the mix. Eventually, I'll buy one, but I'm not in a rush.

And, I am sorry to hear about your problems with the double arrows, everything works fine for me as soon as the windows wobble is fixed. [grin, now I've started a new rumor about wobbles -- there is no such thing! I just happened across a totally different post by paranoyd androyd from another place on the web. I was just telling him/her that I ran across the post. This wobble is a Firefox thing, not an HDTV thing.]
post #192 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Paranoyd;
Could you please elaborate. I read your post comparing the PQ of 850 vs sony. What about the 850 vs 750? At CC, they were feeding the sets with only component video (ESPN-HD) feeds. It was difficult to do a complete comparison. To my eyes, the 850 did appear a tad "brighter" than the 750, but that could be based on out-of-the-box preset variations. Did you evaluate the PQs of these two models side by side with other video input sources (blue ray, 1080p, etc.)? Could you compare while tweeking the video adjustments?

I attributed the improved PQ in the 850 over the 750 mainly to a combination of slightly richer colors, brightness, and sharper picture but was NOT able to compare the two with other 1080p sources. I'm wondering, especially with regards to brightness, whether the slimmer design of the 850 means that the backlight is situated closer to the panel on the 850 than it is on the 750. Also, I'd love to know the official specs on the 850 in terms of color processing. For example, the 650 uses 12-bit single core processing, while the 750 uses a 16-bit dual core. I wonder what the 850 has and whether it's an improvement on the 750.

Quote:

I'm in the same boat. The 850 wins hands down regarding aethetics and 'cool' factor. No halo is a plus too, although I've read that Samsung is addressing a fix. So PQ issues remains a concern for me. The 750 blew away Sony at another B&M venue in my opinion. Thx for helping.

The 750 bezel fix has been a rumor for quite a while now and not a single owner in the 750 thread has gotten a true fix yet. There has been some talk of Samsung technicians or owners putting black tape on their bezels themselves in the effort to fix it, but I don't want to be fussing around with something like that and am going to assume that a fix for the 750 will not be happening. For me, I know the halo would bother me, otherwise I'd go for the 750 since it has the woofer and appears the 850 doesn't.

post #193 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post

paranoyd androyd,

Just so you don't feel too lonely, I'll probably use this without a sound system also. My wife has enough problems dealing with a DVR and a TV. I'd rather not have to pull an external sound system into the mix. Eventually, I'll buy one, but I'm not in a rush.

Yeah, that's the route I'd take for now too.

Quote:

And, I am sorry to hear about your problems with the double arrows, everything works fine for me as soon as the windows wobble is fixed. [grin, now I've started a new rumor about wobbles -- there is no such thing! I just happened across a totally different post by paranoyd androyd from another place on the web. I was just telling him/her that I ran across the post. This wobble is a Firefox thing, not an HDTV thing.]

Sorry, that's not me from the other forum, but it did make me chuckle for a second.

post #194 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Paranoyd;

I now this wasn't addressed to me but... I don't think the 850 looks much if any better than the 750. It is brighter but that doesn't equate to better PQ. It may prove to be better after pro calibration but just messing around with it in the store they were about equal. I think it's brighter because of the thinner design and how much closer the backlight is to the panel. Either way, if I had to choose between a 750 or 850, I'd choose the 850. It's a very cool set.
post #195 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

You finally seen one? Remember my mini review of the 850in the 750 forum about 3 weeks ago when i mentioned that the 850 seemed to have more vibrant colors than the 750 which aint' too shabby either? Probably due to the improvement of the WCE2. Also, there seems to be movement in the MSRP. CC is under 3K now.

From what I can tell, both the 750 and 850/860 have WCE2. You think the 850 has a more improved version of WCE2?
post #196 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 860 PDF file spec sheet on the Samsung site states that the 860 has an 18 month warranty, but when I was talking to one of the online retailers who's currently listing their 860's well below MSRP, they said it only has 12 months. The PDF file sheet *could* be wrong about this though, and it wouldn't be the first potential time either. Both PDF file sheets for the 850 and 860 advertise an integrated woofer, but their manuals don't mention a woofer, nor could I see one in the back or underside on the 850 I saw in person yesterday and I was desperately looking for it.

If the 860 turns out to only have 12 months, I'd get the 850 for sure as I don't need an additional USB, nor do I think I'd necessarily prefer the blue over the red. I'd have to *assume* if Samsung is giving an extra 3 months warranty to those who register their 850's, that they'd also do the same for 860's.

Irunnoft - what's your take on that black rubber strip on the back of the 850 bezel? Do you think that was Samsung's solution for halo?

I honestly have no idea if this was to prevent the halo effect. My feeling is that it was done more to mute the red ToC and create a more muted look. That material, whatever it is, is textured and it goes right to the edge of the red on the border of the bezel, so it doesn't completely cover the rear part of the bezel.

GT: irunnoft
post #197 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Well I received my 860 this afternoon, the delivery driver was from another planet. Now having said that, that is my only complaint. The set is out standing and I don't see any flaws to this point. It will take some tweaking to get the picture just like I want it but WOW! This purchase was part of a 5271f return/exchange process. I was very impressed with the 71 overall, but this picture is a lot better than that set. I can not recommend this enough.

Mark
post #198 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcmge0 View Post

Well I received my 860 this afternoon, the delivery driver was from another planet. Now having said that, that is my only complaint. The set is out standing and I don't see any flaws to this point. It will take some tweaking to get the picture just like I want it but WOW! This purchase was part of a 5271f return/exchange process. I was very impressed with the 71 overall, but this picture is a lot better than that set. I can not recommend this enough.

Nice, congrats. Would love to see some pics once you're all set-up and get the chance. Haven't seen any actual owner pics of the blue 860 yet!

post #199 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM

"Gonna be alright"

Just pulled the trigger! Another price slash at Big River tonight. Just had to jump in now. I chose 52a750. Still 400 clams less than the 860 plus it'll have decent audio. All hopes (wishful thinking) that that darn bezel doesn't implode or beam me up Scottie with the halo. I'll be happy to advice if anyone has questions.

~Ciao
post #200 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcmge0 View Post

Hey Mark, congrats! I know exactly how you feel! Can you test your TV out in a totally dark/home theater environment and look at some black backgrounds and give us a report on clouding (if any). Also, do you happen to have any stuck pixels? I'm swapping mine out on Monday for a new set due to two stuck pixels. Clouding isn't really an issue on my current set. I'm just hopeful that it isn't an issue on any others. Other than the two pixels, I'm still amazed at the PQ on this set - both on SD and HD!!!

Thanks and enjoy!

post #201 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Hey Mark, congrats! I know exactly how you feel! Can you test your TV out in a totally dark/home theater environment and look at some black backgrounds and give us a report on clouding (if any). Also, do you happen to have any stuck pixels? I'm swapping mine out on Monday for a new set due to two stuck pixels. Clouding isn't really an issue on my current set. I'm just hopeful that it isn't an issue on any others. Other than the two pixels, I'm still amazed at the PQ on this set - both on SD and HD!!!

Thanks and enjoy!

First off I don't see any dead or stuck pixels. but I am not going to go to an extreme to try and see one. If I can't see one under normal conditions I'm happy (and I am particular). As far as clouding, there is some light clouding in a dark room with a black screen, but it is less than what I started with on my 5271F, and that diminished over a period of weeks. I expect that I will see the same results, but if I don't the clouding is such that under normal viewing I don't even notice it. Like I said I had to take the room to almost complete darkness. So after playing with it I am still very happy and would not have any problems recommending this set to someone.

Mark
post #202 of 5555 Old 09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

So, when the back was removed did you see anything revealing with regard to the speakers? I think the consensus is that it does not have the woofer (that the a750 has), but there is still some question.

I only recall seeing 2 small speakers,I doubt the sound on the 850 would be close to the sound of the 650/750's with these small speakers,but I am more of a PQ guy so I didn't really demo the sound. As far as PQ the 850 really is better than the 650/750,it just had a little more pop/3d effect and slightly better blacks.The colors are amazing. I have seen the ln52A850
twice now,once at "The City" and we just got a defective(intermittent power supply pcb) one in our "shop",and it really has the best PQ I have ever seen on a LCD. I won't be back at work until Monday,but I will try to take some pics of the 850's speakers,fans,etc. for you guys then if I can.

post #203 of 5555 Old 09-12-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler13 View Post

From what I can tell, both the 750 and 850/860 have WCE2. You think the 850 has a more improved version of WCE2?

I calibrated many 650/750's over the months and when i first calibrated the 850 the first thing i noticed was more vibrancy to the colors. I'm tring to get my hands on the SM to get the schematics in check so once i get it i'll be able to determine what processor they put in this and if there's any variance to the WCE2. I expect a similar one to the 750 with maybe a few tweaks.
post #204 of 5555 Old 09-12-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:

Just wondering here?? I have no doubt the difference in audio quality exists that you're mentioning. You mention playing with the outputs etc.

Another forum guest also mentioned "tinny" .... not so great sound etc. However, he said that when he switched the 850 or 860 model to "surround sound" mode the output quality increased ten fold ..... words to that effect.

Did you have the opportunity to make this adjustment?? If so did you notice changes in sound quality and if so please describe.

My 860 is apparently on way from Cleveland Plasma, due in this week, maybe early next week. Getting to see what everyone else's calibrations are ...... will save a lot of time and energy ..... obviously everyone has own best personal setting preferences but the feedback helps.

So again just wondering what sound settings you went through, descriptions, and was surround sound mode, if tested and noted, best mode in your opinion????
post #205 of 5555 Old 09-12-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:

Nice, congrats. Would love to see some pics once you're all set-up and get the chance. Haven't seen any actual owner pics of the blue 860 yet!

PA ..... still waiting on set 860. I will try and get photos up too ...ASAP.

In mean time I have one scenario for you and others.

Buddy got Samsung last year 47-48" ...... he lives one mile down street from me. This guy is not techie!!! I'm pretty bad .... so he hasn't even been born yet. He got his set at bottom dollar @1300..... don't know model.

Anyway... I set up for him. Plugged in power .... cable from wall directly into back of set ..... that's it..... lol ...... what a trooper I am.

So he's got no rabbit ears, no cable box, no hd antenna, nothing!!!! I realize however sets have tuners etc.

He calls me and tells me he's getting HD. I bet my life that he isn't!!! I go over his house and sure as **** he's getting HD on 13-2, 15-3, etc. Once again I realize info. on vicinity to broadcast towers etc. .... that channels are out there etc. I was just amazed that he was picking up such a great HD picture on that set with no external devices aiding him. Only FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, and couple of others ...... but still the picture was amazing. Going to that HD website where they list digital/HD channels etc., he's about 6.5 miles from nearest tower.

My question is what's your's and everyone else's experience input ..... especially if you don't have cable boxes and/or antennas??

Have you ever heard of this scenario before? Do you think I can avoid antenna and/or cable box like him?..... I'm same distance away from tower as him. Obviously, I'm going to try .... so I'll soon know. But what a nice savings when you don't have to bay for anything more than basic cable service to watch World Series, Masters, Superbowl, etc. in HD!!!
If his older model set is doing it then my new model should have chance.... correct? No changes in tuners lately? Or is he possibly picking up on someone else's antenna as he lives in town home complex?

Any feedback anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

antennaweb.org info florida/flat/no tall buildings etc.

DTV Antenna
Type Call Sign Channel Network City, State Live
Date Compass
Heading Miles
From Frequency
Assignment
* yellow Miles
uhf WFLX-DT 29.1 FOX WEST PALM BEACH, FL 185° 5.3 28
* yellow
vhf WPEC-DT 12.1 CBS WEST PALM BEACH, FL 160° 5.0 13
* yellow
vhf WPEC-DT 12.1 CBS WEST PALM BEACH, FL Feb 17, 2009 (post-transition) 160° 5.0 13
* yellow
vhf WPTV-DT 5.1 NBC WEST PALM BEACH, FL Feb 17, 2009 (post-transition) 162° 4.9 12
* yellow
uhf WXEL-DT 42.1 PBS WEST PALM BEACH, FL 185° 5.3 27
* green
uhf WPTV-DT 5.1 NBC WEST PALM BEACH, FL 162° 4.9 55
* red
uhf WPXP-DT 67.1 ION LAKE WORTH, FL 160° 5.0 36
red
uhf WFLX 29 FOX WEST PALM BEACH, FL 185° 5.3 29
red
uhf WFGC 61 CTN PALM BEACH, FL 23° 7.9 61
red
uhf WPXP 67 ION LAKE WORTH, FL 23° 7.9 67
red
uhf WXEL 42 PBS WEST PALM BEACH, FL 185° 5.3 42
red
vhf WPEC 12 CBS WEST PALM BEACH, FL 160° 5.0 12
red
vhf WPTV 5 NBC WEST PALM BEACH, FL 162° 4.9 5
blue
uhf WTVX 34 CW FORT PIERCE, FL 350° 33.6 34
* blue
uhf WFGC-DT 61.1 CTN PALM BEACH, FL FCC Ext 23° 7.9 49
blue
uhf WPBF 25 ABC TEQUESTA, FL 350° 33.6 25
* violet
uhf WHDT-DT 59.1 IND STUART, FL Feb 17, 2009 (post-transition) 69° 11.3 44
* violet
uhf WTCE-DT 38.1 TBN FORT PIERCE, FL Feb 17, 2009 (post-transition) 15° 26.0 38
* violet
uhf WTCE-DT 38.1 TBN FORT PIERCE, FL 15° 26.0 38
Note:
post #206 of 5555 Old 09-12-2008, 06:19 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas 777 View Post

cable from wall directly into back of set ..... that's it.... So he's got no rabbit ears, no cable box, no hd antenna, nothing!!!! , he's about 6.5 miles from nearest tower.

My question is what's your's and everyone else's experience input ..... especially if you don't have cable boxes and/or antennas??

Do you think I can avoid antenna and/or cable box like him?..... Or is he possibly picking up on someone else's antenna as he lives in town home complex?

The cable from the wall is probably a building antenna. Regardless, the good news is that these TVs come with 3 tuners:
1. a QAM digital tuner picks up local digital/HD stations from an even an analog only cable service, no cable box required. Just scan for cable channels.
2. an ATSC digital tuner picks up local digital/HD stations over the air (OTA) when an antenna is connected. Just scan for antenna or "air" channels. I've used a powered indoor UHF loop antenna ($26) sitting on the TV to pick up all 7 local digital/HD stations within 23 miles. You're pretty close to stations, so you may not even need a powered indoor antenna, just a loop antenna. However, you may need to turn it for some stations it since it looks like your stations are coming in from several directions.
3. an NTSC tuner picks up analog stations via cable or antenna, just scan for channels.

Good luck.
post #207 of 5555 Old 09-12-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas 777 View Post

Just wondering here?? I have no doubt the difference in audio quality exists that you're mentioning. You mention playing with the outputs etc.

Another forum guest also mentioned "tinny" .... not so great sound etc. However, he said that when he switched the 850 or 860 model to "surround sound" mode the output quality increased ten fold ..... words to that effect.

Did you have the opportunity to make this adjustment?? If so did you notice changes in sound quality and if so please describe.

So again just wondering what sound settings you went through, descriptions, and was surround sound mode, if tested and noted, best mode in your opinion????

I did indeed test with both w/ and w/out surround mode. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't comparing apples to oranges.

Since both these sets have music programmed under the contents library, I ran the slideshows simultaneously. There are 3 different 'galleries' to run. 'Party' features a jazzy music theme, 'Relaxation' is more newage and 'Art' is classical. I toggled between the sets using the mute on the remote. Since both sets were side by side, one would mute as the other unmuted. Also tested speech and listened to some commercials with movie trailers.

Results: The surround mode did improve overall quality...on both sets. But the fullness and range of the 750 was very evident. Yes, the 850 did sound like a tin box. Not like the 750 is a 'Bose system'...don't get me wrong. The vast majority of buyers are going to hook up extenals with either, but the 750 I think will stand alone in a pinch.
post #208 of 5555 Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did indeed test with both w/ and w/out surround mode. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't comparing apples to oranges.

Since both these sets have music programmed under the contents library, I ran the slideshows simultaneously. There are 3 different 'galleries' to run. 'Party' features a jazzy music theme, 'Relaxation' is more newage and 'Art' is classical. I toggled between the sets using the mute on the remote. Since both sets were side by side, one would mute as the other unmuted. Also tested speech and listened to some commercials with movie trailers.

Results: The surround mode did improve overall quality...on both sets. But the fullness and range of the 750 was very evident. Yes, the 850 did sound like a tin box. Not like the 750 is a 'Bose system'...don't get me wrong. The vast majority of buyers are going to hook up extenals with either, but the 750 I think will stand alone in a pinch.

Great post! In the FWIW column, I don't have a home theater system (yet!) but I can certainly attest that the TV speakers do put out a decent sound and volume on the 850. I don't ever take it off Surround mode. It sounds great with Blu Rays and regular TV. Plenty loud enough for my living room and viewing purposes. It doesn't come across as thin or tinny to me in this mode.

I do, however, plan to get a true surround system in the future and then all of this will be a mute point. However, until that time, the TV speakers will work out quite nicely.

post #209 of 5555 Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 AM

Addendum:

These sets also have an 'equalizer' which comes with factory settings for 'music', 'speech' and 'movie'; there is also a custom mode for personal tweaking. I made sure that both sets were in the same settings as I toggled between them.

Good luck to all. I went with the 750 but my guess is most will be pleased and happy with either.
post #210 of 5555 Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 AM

I've kept my eye on the 46" 850/860 for month or so now and I'm kind of disappointed to read about the inferior sound. My family room is a very wide open room that is sandwiched between my three year old son's bedroom and my master bedroom. I do most of my movie watching and gaming after my son and wife have turned in for the night, so a surround sound system is just not feasible. The 750 would be a solution to that problem except that Samsung decided to make the set 2" wider than the 850 or 650 for whatever reason. I have built in 46" bookshelves in my walls where the TV will sit, therefore, making the 46.1" 750 not an option.

This is all assuming my house makes it through tonight. Probably shouldn't joke about that.

I have a 2006 Samsung LN-S4095D currently in that space that has similar audio, and it's terrible.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46a850 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page