Official Samsung LNxxA850 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5555 Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there was another thread about the A850, but I didn't see an "official owner's thread" so I thought I'd go ahead and start it. Maybe the two threads can be merged.

I just brought home a LN52A850 this evening. I've not had a chance to mess with the settings or calibrations, but I thought this would be a good place for owners to start posting settings and tweaks.

I will get some pics up as soon as possible. I'll also give my impressions of this TV and try to review it as best as possible. This TV was replacing an older model Sony RPT and I also have a 40XBR2 for comparison sake.

Technical Details
Touch of Color (TOC): Samsung's unique manufacturing process accents the surrounding bezel with a stylish red tone
HD-Grade pixel resolution: High-resolution pixel density is combined with a builtin image scaler to handle inputs from a variety of digital and analog audio/video sources
Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz Advanced
50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
WiseLink Pro: For playing MP3, mpeg, and displaying JPEG files through the USB 2.0 connection on selected Samsung TVs
› See more technical details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Details
Product Dimensions: 1.9 x 49.7 x 30.7 inches ; 59.1 pounds
Shipping Weight: 87 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
Shipping: This item can only be shipped to the 48 contiguous states. We regret it cannot be shipped to APO/FPO, Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico.
Note: Gift-wrapping is not available for this item.
ASIN: B001DW0EWI
Item model number: LN52A850
Average Customer Review:

10 Reviews
5 star: (8)
4 star: (1)
3 star: (0)
2 star: (1)
1 star: (0)

See all 10 customer reviews...

(10 customer reviews)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #752 in Electronics (See Bestsellers in Electronics)
Popular in this category: (What's this?)

#32 in Electronics > Televisions > TVs

Date first available at Amazon.com: April 18, 2005

Would you like to update product info or give feedback on images?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Description
From the Manufacturer
At only 1.9 inches thick, Samsung's striking new 850 series offers all of the features of the 750 Series models in an incredibly thin, sleek package. The Series 8 1080p LCD HDTVs have all of the features you'd expect from a top-of-the-line Samsung - superb image, a blazing-fast 4ms response time, 120Hz refresh rate with Automotion plus image interpolation technology for smooth fast motion, and rich interconnectivity, all wrapped in the stylish "TOC" color-infused bezel. Enjoy MPEG and JPEG files stored on external devices by connecting through a side-mounted USB 2.0, turning their LCD into a full-scale home viewing gallery, or connect their MP3 players for a dynamic audio experience.

A true entertainment hub for your home.

Ultra-Thin 1.9-inch depth

Key Features
New -- 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio:up from 25,000:1 on 2007 models (Learn more)

New -- Blazing 4ms response time: down from 8ms on 2007 models thanks to a new high-speed liquid crystal

New -- Transparent and Opaque Color (TOC) bezel with infused color creates an ultra-sleek shape and appearance (Learn more)

New -- InfoLink: Get free RSS feeds of news, weather and sports right to your HDTV with a built-in Ethernet port (Learn more)

New -- 4 HDMI 1.3 ports: Simplay compliant, and up from 3 on 2007 models (Learn more)

New -- Sports and Game modes boost on-screen performance and interaction with the latest gaming systems
New -- Side-mounted USB 2.0 port: connect USB devices directly to your HDTV to view JPEG photos or MPEG movies or easily listen to your MP3 player through your HDTV's audio system or your home theater system.

New -- Compatible with Samsung's Home Digital Media Adapter (sold separately) for playback and navigation of Internet and stored PC multimedia
New -- Internal flash memory (1GB) with pre-loaded interactive content such as cooking recipes, children's entertainment, HD artwork and more,
New -- DLNA-Compatibility for better interopability with electronics, computers and mobile devices from many different manufacturers (Learn more)
New -- Super-Slim 1.9-inch depth
Full 1080p HD (Learn more)
Automotion Plus 120Hz image interpolation technology provides smoother motion (Learn more)

178-degree viewing angle from all four axes with Super Patterned Vertical Alignment (Learn more)

Better clear panel technology for deeper blacks and more vibrant colors (Learn more)
Hidden twin downward-firing speakers with SRS TruSurround XT audio (Learn more)
Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp (CCFL) and Wide Color Enhancer technology offer a wider color range (Learn more)
Picture-in-Picture (PIP) enables convenient simultaneous viewing of TV programs and video or PC sources
V-Chip system1 allows blocking of rated TV and movie programs determined by the parent to contain objectionable content.
Trilingual on-screen displays in English, Spanish or French.

Variable sleep timer to turn the TV off in varying time intervals.
Auto wall mount compatible: 3-dimensional operation via TV’s remote control; no external IR receiver required.
Swivel stand included
1 year parts and 1 year labor warranty (90 days parts and labor for commercial use), with in-home service, backed by Samsung toll-free support.
What size TV should you get?

Learn More
Touch of Color Bezel

Inspired by designs from the automotive and fashion industries, Samsung’s unique unique Transparent and Opaque Color molding process creates a clean, smooth finish infused with a hint of a translucent color during the manufacturing process for an ultra-sleek appearance.

InfoLink
Up-to-the-minute access to weather, news, sports and stock information is just a cable and a click away through the HDTV’s Ethernet port and new InfoLink RSS service. An all-new user interface with digital contents management guide provides intuitive navigation and access to both internal and external content.

Auto Motion Plus 120Hz
This technology doubles the frame rate from 60 to 120 frames per second (120Hz LCD panel) without repeating the same image to make more frames. Instead, the TV intelligently calculates the ‘middle’ image between frame A and frame B and inserts it in between (Auto Motion Plus 120Hz processor), making a fluid transition from one frame to the next.

Super Clear Panel

Samsung enhances the clarity of select LCD HDTVs by replacing the light-diffusing plastic face of traditional LCD HDTVs with a natural black panel with a clear anti-glare shield. Reduced reflection of external light creates a new dimension in image clarity, highlighting black and darkened areas, enabling vibrant, more compelling colors and a brighter, clearer picture. Black will never again appear grayish. Black details will show in vivid black even in dark scenes.

The latest version of Samsung’s breakthrough super clear panel technology makes colors appear more vibrant and blacks even deeper than ever. Enhanced films reduce glare and optimize off-angle viewing.

50,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

50,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio will give you a picture better than you ever thought possible, with whiter whites, blacker blacks and a nearly infinite subtlety of gradations in between. As two of the most important determining factors in overall picture quality, contrast and brightness levels achieve new heights in this latest generation LCD panel. Samsung’s new LCD TV’s give the most stunning realistic picture quality ever.

Full HD 1080P
Full HD, or 1080p, contains 1.5 times more scanning lines than conventional HD TVs. More scanning lines mean more pixels, more details and a better picture. The new Samsung LCD TV with resolution that is approximately 2 times greater than conventional HDTVs, creating the most perfect picture imaginable.

Samsung’s 1080p panel uses a new high-speed liquid crystal to cut response time to 4ms. The fast response time, coupled with Samsung’s Auto Motion Plus 120Hz motion blur reduction technology dramatically reduces motion blur and judder.

Digital Natural Image Engine

DNIe The Samsung Digital Natural Image engine. This exclusive Samsung technology dramatically improves the picture by enhancing the contrast, detail, white balance and reduces.

Wide Color Enhancer/Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp
The NTSC (National Television Systems Committee) has established the color standards all TVs in America try to meet. And typical LCD TVs only meet about 72% of this standard. Samsung LCD HDTVs use Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp backlights to give you 92% coverage of the NTSC standard, ensuring truer, more breathlessly vivid colors.

Samsung’s exclusive Wide Color Enhancer technology delivers more brilliant colors, even in bright areas of the picture where blues and greens are washed out on conventional screens. The system displays wider color reproduction, showing you truer colors – the fresh green of spring foliage, the intense blue of the summer sky.

Connectivity

Samsung has incorporated advanced HD connectivity and networking capabilities that expand the HDTV’s functionality. A wide variety of multimedia devices can be connected to the set through any one of the four Simplay compliant HDMI 1.3 inputs (including one on the side), and the handy HDMICEC feature lets you control all your CEC-enabled peripherals using just one remote.

Connect HD digital devices like disc players, game consoles, and satellite dish components into the 2 rear connections and use the side-mounted input for cameras, camcorders, and laptops. HDMI is the best performing interface for displaying an HD source on an HDTV.

Once connected, users can easily access device menus and manage and display content through the newly redesigned Wheel Key Remote control and the HDTV’s sophisticated content management interface.

All Connections

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface version 1.3): 4 (3 rear/1 side)
Ethernet port

Component video: 2 (Y, Pb, Pr)
S-Video input: 1 rear/1 side

A/V inputs: 1 side/1 rear
PC Inpuy (D-Sub): 1

RF antenna inputs: 2
HDMI-CEC
Premium audio: Improved sound quality with dedicated low-range speaker system
Headphone jack

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)

You already know something about digital living. There’s the TV and digital video recorder in your family room. (And another set in your bedroom.) You have a PC and digital printer in your office, along with a network attached storage device. And you’ve copied all your music onto your portable music player and haven’t had to open a CD case for years. But getting them to talk to each other can be pretty tough. Why is it still so difficult to send digital content from one device to another?

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a collaboration of the world’s leading consumer electronics, PC and mobile companies that has created design guidelines for a new generation of products that can work together — no matter the brand.

Think for a moment about all of the photos "locked away" on your home PC that you wish you could access while entertaining your friends and family. Now, thanks to DLNA enabled devices, a DLNA-enabled PC can be accessed from the comfort of your living room or family room via a DLNA-enabled HDTV, where you can enjoy your memories with friends and family, without having to deal with the hassle and non-intuitive "PCexperience".

Or, say you recently downloaded your daughter’s birthday party video from your digital camcorder to your PC. Now you want to share it with your parents who are visiting. Without DLNA, you probably have to burn a DVD of the video or hook up the camcorder to the TV. With DLNA, you can just use your TV’s remote to call up the video on your TV. That’s it.

Super Patterned Vertical Alignment

Samsung’s Super Patterned Vertical Alignment (SPVA) panel provides a 178-degree viewing angle from all four axes

Audio Features
TruSurround is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including internal television speakers and headphones. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats up to 5.1 channels. High-quality virtual surround sound can be experienced with just the two hidden, downward-firing side-mounted 2.2-channel dome speakers built into the TV.

SRS TruSurround XT technology delivers an amazing, simulated 3D effect with clear dialog and powerful bass.

TruSurround XT audio also adds three audio enhancement technologies to produce an amazingly immersive sound experience.

Dialog Clarity brings movie dialog into Focus during the playback of any surround-encoded material to make speech much clearer and crisper.
TruBass creates incredible deep rich bass allowing a person to perceive significantly deeper, richer low bass tones that are far beyond the physical low frequency capabilities of the speaker itself.
The SRS WOW feature widens the soundstage by processing standard two-channel stereo material as well as multi-channel encoded material for a dramatic improvement in the playback of any stereo audio over a two-speaker system.
Stereo broadcast reception is offered for MTS and SAP with 181-channel capacity. A sound leveler keeps audio volume consistent during channel changing.

GT: irunnoft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5555 Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 PM

I might trade my 46" 750 for an 850 tomorrow, wont have the tv until next wednesday though. I am stilll debating if its worth paying a few hundred dollars more to get rid of the annoyances I have with the 750.. Please post some opinions if anybody has them. looks to be just as good as the 750 at least.
post #3 of 5555 Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, someone is finally starting this thread! Can't wait to see all the pics and read the reviews. Hopefully the 860 owners will post here too. I'm seriously considering the 8 series now that the recently released XBR6 hasn't lived-up to XBR expectations.

Vizio XVT473SV: 47" FALD with 640 LED's and 160 Zones.

Seeking: 65"+ FALD UHD with 1,200+ LED's and 350+ Zones.
post #4 of 5555 Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1000 View Post

I am stilll debating if its worth paying a few hundred dollars more to get rid of the annoyances I have with the 750...

Hmm. What kind of annoyances you find on the 750 j?
I currently have the 52a750 btw and I"ll be getting a 46a850 for master bedroom. Can't wait to hear from owners about it.
post #5 of 5555 Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm going to go and do my 'homework' and put the TV through the paces. I'll try snapping some pics at night and during the day so people can see what the TV looks like in a room where there is definitely some exposure to large windows.

By the way, happy to say that there is NO HALO on this TV. I've done a quick search for the dreaded clouds and found none. I'm going to go back and watch more Blu-Ray in a totally dark room and see what it looks like. I will say this, I was watching in a mostly darkened environment before and, if there were clouds, they were minimal and not an issue. It also appears that there are no stuck pixels either. Again, the true litmus test is yet to come when all the lights go out.

On a side note, when I was thrust into the TV market due to my Sony RPT dying, I had every intention of getting a Sony. To show how far out of the loop I was, I was expecting to walk into Best Buy and see the XBR4's on display. They weren't there. I did see the 52W4100 and the 46z4100 and both pictures looked good to me. However, I saw the sparkles on every Sony I looked at. I must admit, that was a bummer. I started playing with the A650 that was displayed next to the 52W4100 and that's when I began to realize that I was digging the Samsung more. The colors seemed more vivid and rich. The detail was crisp but not pixelated or overly grainy. So, I guess I'm trying to qualify my forthcoming comments and reviews about this set by establishing that I am not a Samsung fan-boy. If anything, I was previously a Sony fan-boy. I really enjoyed the cloud-free XBR2 I finally got, but it doesn't compare to this Sammy. So I must admit that I'm really pleasantly surprised by the latest ToC lineup. I think Samsung has most definitely brought out some excellent TVs and raised the bar (not only in PQ but in styling).

In the FWIW column, the Rose color on the 850 is very subtle and not glaring at all. It's quite attractive, actually. Much less noticeable than the 650 (for those that might have been less than enthused by that styling). So the bottom line is that the ToC on this set blends in well with the background and is quite unobtrusive. Ok. . . I've gotta run back to the living room, pop the popcorn and watch some more. Pics to follow ASAP tomorrow!

post #6 of 5555 Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

nice, please let us know how the viewing angles are with pics if possible! thanks for starting this thread. I'm still thinking about getting the 8 series, actually i cant decide wether to get the red or blue version as I cant find the blue version anywhere.
post #7 of 5555 Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSnake View Post

Hmm. What kind of annoyances you find on the 750 j?
I currently have the 52a750 btw and I"ll be getting a 46a850 for master bedroom. Can't wait to hear from owners about it.

The infamous halo has become an issue for me since I painted my tv room to a darker shade. That and some good clouding on the right side of the tv that i cant seem to keep my eyes off. Other than that I love the tv, the PQ is amazing, but for the money i think there should be close to fulll satisfaction, and if the 850 fixed the halo and has the same PQ, I think I would enjoy the experience more. I know maybe there will still be some clouding? as I read alot of LCD's have that issue, I am used to the quality on my pioneer I moved to my living room, so maybe that is why i nitpick a little. BB is willing to make the exchange even though I am over the 30 days by 8 days. So I may give it a shot! thx.
post #8 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

nice, please let us know how the viewing angles are with pics if possible! thanks for starting this thread. I'm still thinking about getting the 8 series, actually i cant decide wether to get the red or blue version as I cant find the blue version anywhere.

I think the blue version is going to be more limited. The red is nothing like the red on the 650. It's actually quite nice. It's very muted on the 850. You may be relegated to shopping online to get the blue ToC model.

post #9 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 05:39 AM

With the price of the 850/860 relaxing a little bit, particularly online, I'm thinking I might be leaning towards this set as my alternate instead of the 750. I'm liking the idea of the thinner profile as I intend to mount whatever I get on a fixed low profile wall mount. I'd like to get the 950 but unless I can get >20% off the set, it's not gonna happen. The deeper blacks of the 950 are nice, but what has me leaning that direction is LED Motion Plus. I demo'ed this and it looked very clean. I'm not sure I can rely on AMP only for crisper motion on the CCFL sets. I'm really worried about not finding a happy medium between good motion resolution and little/no artifacting (and I base this on the limited exposure I've had to these sets in the store). I've seen plenty of issues with AMP on high with the 650, 850 and 950. I guess I'm going to need to buy locally for the liberal return policy, but I'm replacing a mammoth CRT. When that's gone, it ain't coming back.
post #10 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

When you said you can't find the blue version, do you mean you can't find a store that has the A860 on display or do you mean you can't find a place that sells it?

Go 24
post #11 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

When you said you can't find the blue version, do you mean you can't find a store that has the A860 on display or do you mean you can't find a place that sells it?

Both. It seems that the blue version (A860) is due to be delivered to stores after the A850. From what I can gather, maybe a week later? Not sure. I have been able to find pictures of it online and it looks great. I actually think I prefer the red, though.

post #12 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the review I just posted on the BB website about this TV:

I've had this TV for one day now. I was in the market for a large LCD and had every intention of buying another SONY. I've always liked the picture quality of my XBR2 (once I found a mostly cloudless one) and so I thought I'd purchase an XBR4. It's been awhile since I was in the TV market and so I didn't know the XBR4/5s were discontinued. Obviously, I was going to have to start from scratch. While I did like the SONY 46z4100 and the 52W4100 that I looked at, Samsungs (probably for the first time I can remember) began catching my eye as well.
First of all, one thing that turned me away from the current Z,W,V lineup with SONY was the sparkle issue. Every set I saw displayed at BB and CC exhibited this problem. If you are unaware of the SONY sparkle issue, just google it and you should find an entire thread devoted to this on the AVS technical forum. Although I realized all LCDs are going to have some issues, there are some things I can't overlook. Fortunately for me, the Samsungs on display next to the SONYs really were quite captivating.
After tweaking and playing with the settings on both, I found that I liked the picture quality on the Samsung A650/A750 and A850s better than the SONYs. This was surprising to me because I have always rather leaned towards SONY for TVs. I guess that would've made me a fan-boy of sorts. Anyhow, I felt the A850 had a much better color. The greens were more verdant and the colors just seemed to be more full. The SONYs did seem to have a slight edge on detail, but that came with a somewhat more grainy or pixelated overall image. The Samsungs had a smoother texture and overall image. They were also very clear, crisp pictures. So it seemed to me that whatever processor SONY was using to achieve it's slight edge in sharpness also caused a somewhat grainy picture. My wife, who has almost zero interest in technical geek-speak or HD-TV, was able to spot this difference and comment on it without me mentioning it to her. She preferred the overal PQ on the Samsungs, too.
For those of you who may not be fans of the current ToC, let me assure you that the red (Samsung actually calls it 'rose') on this TV is very stylish. It is not as glaring or obvious as the red on the A650 model. The color is more of a garnet and it is very subtle within the bezel. It does not distract from viewing in the daytime and is completely unnoticeable in the evening. The stand on this TV also has the ToC color in it and is made of glass. One very nice feature that this TV shares with the A650 is that the stand swivels! This was left out of the A750 line-up for some reason. Combine that styling with the fact that this TV only measures 1.9" inches wide at it's widest point, and you've got a very sleek, very sexy TV!
One concern I had about this TV was reflection on the screen surface. I have my TV in a large living room that has exposure from two large windows. Daytime viewing is not an issue. I have had zero problems with reflections; whatever Samsung has done to reduce reflective issues is quite effective.
Regarding Picture Quality, this TV has the best HD picture I've seen so far. Since the 850, 750 and 650s were not side by side in the store, I can't really comment on how they all compare to each other. Suffice it to say that the picture quality on the 850 is nothing short of arresting. In comparing the 750 and the 650, I felt as though the 750 had a slight edge. In the store, the 850 was set up on display by itself, much in the same way as the Z4100 was.
Blu Ray looks amazing on this set! With the many controls for adjusting and tweaking the picture, the Samsung is feature rich beyond belief. They really went all out in giving the user control to create the ideal viewing experience.
One area where the Samsung dominates the SONY lineup is SD programming. While HD looks incredible, I thought the Samsung was a hands down winner in the Standard Definition department. Most of what we watch on DirecTV is still SD programming and the Samsung delivers one of the clearest, cleanest SD pictures I've seen yet. My XBR2 looks like a macroblock nightmare on SD. That's a huge plus for me because nothing looks worse than a poor SD picture on a 52" screen. With a screen this large, it's a pretty important consideration!
One thing I didn't like was the AMP. I tried watching some Blu Ray with the AMP set to high and it made me feel sea-sick. I found that low took a slight degree of getting used to. The good news is that the TV looks and performs fantastically without the use of AMP. Most owners opt to turn it off or on low. This is also the same for the SONYs. I always liked the picture better when I'd toggle that off on the SONYs. This is more of an individual preference, though.
With regards to black level, I don't know how the 850 compares to the 650. I do know that when I viewed the 650 side by side with a SONY, the 650 killed it for black level. That was a huge selling point for me. I was somewhat concerned about the 850 and black level due to the TV being so thin, but I don't have any worries now. I knew the true test wasn't going to be necessarily what I saw in the showroom, but what I saw in the living room. There were scenes in the Transformers Blu Ray where the black represented on the screen matched the black on the letterbox. I'd have to say that I was very pleased with the depth of black and with the detail within the black. The 650 may have a slight edge, but it would take a side-by-side comparison to tell whether that is true or not.
I did notice a slight flashlight effect on the right side of the screen, but it was not anything that I would call unusual or uncommon. Unfortunately, screen uniformity is something that all LCD panels have a slight problem with. I don't believe I've ever seen an LCD panel that didn't suffer from some degree of uniformity issue. I know others would argue this point with me, but I think that some people just want to be in denial. I will say this, I had to look several times to see if I was just seeing a flashlight or if I was experiencing flashbacks to the clouding/mura issue that plagued the XBR2/3s. If I even saw a degree of background light bleeding in from the side, it was so slight that I had to actually look dilligently for it. It was also not visible during regular viewing (either day or night). I could only barely discern it on a solid black screen (think PS3 menu) or credits screen on a movie. I returned five 40XBR2s for clouding a while ago. This is nothing remotely similar to that issue. My TV also has zero stuck pixels. That's something that I can't say for my XBR2. Even though I finally found a mostly cloud free XBR2, it came at the price of one stuck red pixel. That was always a huge annoyance to me!
All in all, this is the best looking and performing LCD that I've seen to date. It is stylish and cool. The PQ is simply stunning in HD and it delivers the goods in SD, too. If you like to tinker and tweak the picture, the Samsung will reward you with boundless features. Despite this TVs slim profile, the black levels are equal to (or close to it) with that achieved with the A650. This TV has no noticeable problems with viewing angles either. It also doesn't suffer from the purple haze that early owners of the A650 experienced or the Halo effect of the picture bleeding into the bezel that A750 owners experienced. If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy the A850 with no hesitation. It's a fantastic TV!

post #13 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With regards to pictures, my camera battery is charging right now. I did snap a few pictures already, but I need to take some more.

On a positive note, watching the TV in the living room with two large windows has proven to be no problems at all. I have no issues with reflections whatsoever. That's a big plus!

post #14 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Viewing angle also seems to be no problem. Not that I'd ever stand at any of these angles, but I have noticed no problems with viewing the TV from the side. It certainly doesn't have a purple haze issue.

post #15 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

Both. It seems that the blue version (A860) is due to be delivered to stores after the A850. From what I can gather, maybe a week later? Not sure. I have been able to find pictures of it online and it looks great. I actually think I prefer the red, though.

Cleveland Plasma has the 52A860 in stock right now.

Go 24
post #16 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

Cleveland Plasma has the 52A860 in stock right now.

DOH! To be honest, I wasn't actively looking for it, but that's good to know that they are both coming out at the same time. My local CC just put an 850 on display this Saturday and my local BB just put up their 850 yesterday or the day before.

If the 860 is anything like the 850, it will look a lot better in person than on the internet. You can get a pretty good idea of what the blue will look like, but when you see it in person, it is much more impressive! Be prepared to fall in love!

post #17 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Irunnoft, I noticed that you briefly mentioned a reduction of glare in your review. Are you saying that the 850/60 models have a slightly different screen that reduces glare over the 650/750 models?

I haven't seen the 8 series in person yet, but I would be highly interrested in this model if there have been advancements in glare reduction.
post #18 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 06:29 AM

irunnoft,
I have found the exact same thing. Orginally looking for Sony but my son told me to check out the Samsung.

My problem is that I have a 5 year old 55" rptv. Its got a bad board. I sit about 15' away. I have not seen a 55"lcd yet though I did see that they are coming shortly ( I am not paying $6000 for one).

I am in love with the Samsung 52" 850 but I am afraid to be disappointed with the downsize. I thing that the picture quality compared to the old rptv with overcome the size change. I looked at the 58" plazma but still liked the 52"850 picture the best.

Has anyone downsized?
post #19 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 07:16 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Here's the review I just posted on the BB website about this TV: ... It's a fantastic TV!

Great review, thanks. How's the sound? Is it acceptable for just watching TV, say, during the day? Do you think it actually has the integrated woofer listed in the specs? On the 750, they were easy to see and hear on the back, but I couldn't get around back of the 850 in the store to be able to tell.
post #20 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul172 View Post

irunnoft,
I have found the exact same thing. Orginally looking for Sony but my son told me to check out the Samsung.

My problem is that I have a 5 year old 55" rptv. Its got a bad board. I sit about 15' away. I have not seen a 55"lcd yet though I did see that they are coming shortly ( I am not paying $6000 for one).

I am in love with the Samsung 52" 850 but I am afraid to be disappointed with the downsize. I thing that the picture quality compared to the old rptv with overcome the size change. I looked at the 58" plazma but still liked the 52"850 picture the best.

Has anyone downsized?

Paul, I don't honestly think a 3" downsize is going to be that noticeable when you're talking moving from a 55" to a 52". Now moving from a 60" to a 52" might be a different thing.

I can tell you this, we had a Sony RPT that died in our living room. It was a 50" TV and, in the interim, we put my son's 27" Samsung on the pedestal and used that until yesterday. That TV looked ridiculous on the huge TV stand and it was a nightmare to go from 50" to 27", BUT after a solid week, I actually found I was getting used to it. So the moral of the story is that I think over time you can adjust.

post #21 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

Great review, thanks. How's the sound? Is it acceptable for just watching TV, say, during the day? Do you think it actually has the integrated woofer listed in the specs? On the 750, they were easy to see and hear on the back, but I couldn't get around back of the 850 in the store to be able to tell.

I think the TV sounds somewhat thin on Standard, but when you switch it to Surround, it sounds great. I'm very pleased with the speakers on the TV. I'll have to take a look to see about the integrated woofer. One thing I noticed was that in watching the Transformers Blu Ray last night, I didn't have to keep adjusting the volume during the movie. I know most TVs have that steady sound feature, but this is the first TV I've used where I felt like that feature actually worked. Even my wife commented on that last night. Dialogue level was perfect, but then during the numerous signature Michael Bay explosions, the sound didn't get suddenly louder. It was appropriate and proportional to the other sounds in the film. It was a real pleasure to watch a movie and not feel compelled to be ready to lower and raise the volume continually.

post #22 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On a side note, I really gave this TV a serious looking over just now and I don't see any evidence of flashlighting. I thought I did earlier, but I may have been mistaken.

Unfortunately, this TV isn't completely without reflections, though. I did notice some but it wasn't an issue for me. It isn't as bad as any plasma I've ever seen, but it isn't completely reflection/glare free, either. I really don't see it unless I'm looking for it. I took some pictures in daylight to try to show this. The curtains are pulled back and I even have the front door open. This lets the maximum amount of light possible into the living room. To me, the reflection is NOT an issue. Again, I didn't see it until I concentrated on it. I'm going to try to post the pics now.

post #23 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First, let me preface these pictures by saying that I am not a great shot with the Canon. I'm sure most everyone would be able to take a better picture. The only thing I did to my camera was to turn the flash off.

Here are some pictures taken at various viewing angles last night.

whatever the squiggly lines are that are in the above picture are not visible in viewing and are probably due to the camera. That would be my guess!

post #24 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some pictures taken in the living room with light exposure from two large windows and an open front door.

The front door wasn't open in this first picture:

In an effort to flood the room the maximum amount of light my living room will ever see, you can see the image of the front door in this picture. It only seems to be visible in a dark scene (at least to me):

Two more scenes in the same lighting conditions:

post #25 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The TV was set to default settings for Dynamic, too. I haven't had a chance to really delve into the tweaking yet. I guess I'll start with the 750 owner's thread for calibrations. Again, any lines that showed up in the pictures are NOT visible when viewing the TV. My pictures really don't do justice to this set, either. Sorry about that.

post #26 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 08:20 AM

Cool, and those are some of the better pictures I've seen taken by Owners on this forum. Maybe you can make some extra money on the side giving lessons on how to set the flash and hold the camera
post #27 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post

Cool, and those are some of the better pictures I've seen taken by Owners on this forum. Maybe you can make some extra money on the side giving lessons on how to set the flash and hold the camera

LOL! Thanks, but I doubt it! I'm waiting for the real pros to come out and post pics that will do the set justice. I'm scouring through the 750 calibration thread and will have to try the settings I come across and then see what the results are.

I also have to take a look at the back of the TV to determine if the subwoofer is really there or not for another AVS member. I'll keep posting any updates.

post #28 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With regards to the back panel, the mfg. date for this TV was August 2008.

There are grills underneath the TV for what appear to be two speakers. I don't know what the subwoofer would look like or where it would be positioned on a 750. If anybody has pics and can post one, I can check and see if I can find it on mine. If I had to guess, I'd say it doesn't have a subwoofer. In the owner's manual it only mentions 2 10W speakers. That's for the 850 and the 860 as well.

post #29 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:

With regards to the back panel, the mfg. date for this TV was August 2008.

There are grills underneath the TV for what appear to be two speakers. I don't know what the subwoofer would look like or where it would be positioned on a 750. If anybody has pics and can post one, I can check and see if I can find it on mine. If I had to guess, I'd say it doesn't have a subwoofer. In the owner's manual it only mentions 2 10W speakers. That's for the 850 and the 860 as well.

Thanks for all the great feedback! I know you mentioned you watched some stuff last night, but could you elaborate on the blacks in little-to-no lighting? We watch movies at night in very dim or zero lighting conditions so I'd like to know how the 850 looks in this department. BB and other B&M retailers do a good job of showing you how the sets perform in mid-to-high lighting environments.
post #30 of 5555 Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

awesome review and pics, can you comment more on the amp. In the store i noticed the 850 had a little more artifacting than the 650 but wasn't quite sure if it was due to the source or not.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46a850 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page