over-the-air HD chanels - how to use get this on Samsung LN46A750? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-06-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my samsung tv has the built-in ATSC tuner but how do i make it work to pick over-the-air HD channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-06-2008, 02:10 PM

Check on AntennaWeb.org to be sure that there are over the air stations accessible to you. If there are, then purchase an antenna and connect it to the over-the-air / ATSC connector on the TV. Turn on the TV, switch the input to the antenna, and then adjust the antenna until you get a picture.

If you're within 15 miles of a major city, and either have flat local terrain or have the TV on at least the 2nd floor in a room facing in the direction of the major city, then you can probably get away with an amplified indoor antenna. You can pick up one of those at BestBuy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. Make sure you plug in the antenna and turn on its amplifier prior when you want to use it.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM

On my Samsung I just hooked the cable wire to the back of tv done a full channel scan and picked up eight HD channels and about 40 music channels. I think theres around 10 or 12 free HD channels out there...

I'm confused...
post #4 of 11 Old 09-07-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your prompt response!
i haven't tried with an external antenna yet (the whole idea of buying an expensive tv was to avoid having to buy all these "additional" gadgets).
i did connect my cable directly to my TV and it picked 16 channels off-the-air (none of them HD). Probably my apartment is not located within the radius of picking HD channels.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked2hdtv View Post

i haven't tried with an external antenna yet (the whole idea of buying an expensive tv was to avoid having to buy all these "additional" gadgets).
i did connect my cable directly to my TV and it picked 16 channels off-the-air (none of them HD). Probably my apartment is not located within the radius of picking HD channels.

Were the channels analog or digital? The HD channels will only be digital and your TV should identify them as 720 or 1080. SD channels will be identified as 480 but some sets show analog channels as 480i. Digital channels should be displayed as Dxx or xx.x i.e. D12 or 76.1. Also HD channels are not always full screen and may have the same black bars as an SD channel.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-07-2008, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

my samsung tv has the built-in ATSC tuner but how do i make it work to pick over-the-air HD channels?

Quote:

Sorry but your ATSC tuner will not get a signal without an antenna, that's the whole purpose of this tuner. Like bkspero said, check antennaweb.org or tvfool.com to see what channels you should be able to get with what type of antenna.

The channels that you picked up by connecting your cable directly to the TV were not over the air, they were provided by your cable company. Your TV can pick up digital channels this way with its QAM tuner. If your cable company provides the channel in the clear, unencrypted, you will be able to view it. Like txrose said in the previous post, these digital channels may appear different than what you might expect. They may appear as channel 14.1 or 76.1 or 82.146 or 125.xxx or some other designation. You just have to do a digital channel scan and go through the channels your QAM tuner picks up to find them. These channels may disappear at times, this is usually because the cable provider has remapped them. If this is the case you will have to find them all over again. Sometimes the cable company may encrypt these channels and they can disappear for that reason as well.

The cable company does not provide these channels in the clear out of kindness. The FCC requires the signals of digital channels that can theoretically be picked up with an antenna in your area to be passed on in the clear.

Good luck, enjoy your TV.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondox View Post

On my Samsung I just hooked the cable wire to the back of tv done a full channel scan and picked up eight HD channels and about 40 music channels. I think theres around 10 or 12 free HD channels out there...

"The kitchen sink" is a term used loosely when describing a feature set on any product, from cars to countertops, but in the case of the Samsung LN46A750, we're using it in the tightest sense. This 46-inch flat-panel LCD packs more feature punch than any HDTV we've tested yet. 1080p with 120Hz refresh rate? Check. More picture controls than any set on the market outside of LG? Check. Built-in networking that allows RSS-style news and weather feeds, access to networked videos, photos and pictures? Yup. Unique interactive content, courtesy of internal storage and augmentable via downloads, encompassing "Tofu Tortillas," "Basic Reflexology," and "Bye Bye Boowa and Kwala?" Yeah, sure. Of course we'll tack on some accolades regarding picture quality, which is every bit as good as the superb LN52A650, as well as some reservations in the Design department that affect picture perception in some circumstances. On a flagship TV, one big reservation is the price tag--those interactive doodads are not worth the typically $300-600 difference between this model and the LN46A650, in our opinion--which along with said design issues helped earn the 750 series a lower score than its 650 series line mates. Another is the assurance that later in the year, even higher-end sets will hit the market, likely with better LED backlighting than we saw on the 2007 Samsung LN-T4681F. For now, however, the LN46A750 stands secure as king of the feature hill.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:

I think this will only allows you to compatibility with different HDTV tuners. You need any antenna or proper Dish antenna for international channels. And for those channels you need also digital receiver than your built-in ATSC tuner will tune it.

Buy cheap wireless DSL from wireless mall.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2009, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I live in a rural area and just for kix tried an open ended piece of coax for an antenna just to see what would happen. To my surprise I scanned and picked up 13 ota channels including all my hd locals. You might want to try that first if you have a piece of coax laying around. In fact it's performing better than 3 store bought indoor antenna I've tried so far.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

has anyone had problems receiving OTA channels after the digital-TV broadcast started June 12, 2009? I used to get OTA channels but dont get them anymore.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-29-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

has anyone had problems receiving OTA channels after the digital-TV broadcast started June 12, 2009? I used to get OTA channels but dont get them anymore.

Some of the digital channels moved so you need to do a new scan.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays