Generate fake "VGA signal" so TV stays active for my "Audio in"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to help a friend with his DELL flat screen tv. He currently uses the "PC Line in" for audio input from his ipod. The audio plays fine through the TV speakers but, the problem is the TV has a (SELF TEST FEATURE CHECK) bouncing around the screen. This annoying color box isnt that big of a deal, but the main problem is we are unable to change the volume. This TV wont let you change the volume up or down unless their is an active video signal. This means we have to change the input back to TV tuner before we can change the volume back up and down again.

Q1) Does anyone know of a cheap device that will generate a fake vga signal so the tv stays fully active? (no matter how ghetto it is anything at all, as long as it's inexpensive)

Q2) Does anyone know VGA specs as far as shorting out specfic pins that will cause a blank out signal? (loop back etc?)

Again, the goal is to send a fake VGA signal to the TV so it stays on and the audio continues to play etc.

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 AM

Liked: 10
Does he have a DVD player available (maybe already connected to another set of inputs using component video)? What about a VCR? If so, he could connect the composite video output to the video input associated with the audio inputs he's using.

Brian
post #3 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

There are devices that I've seen that use a microcontroller to generate a VGA signal such as this one -- but you would have to build it. Other than test equipment, I don't know of anything you could purchase.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

He's using the "PC Analog" audio in mini jack which is paired to the dsub VGA input of the TV. I guess we could try to use one of the other inputs but I'm pretty sure it will result in the same problem. Assuming he has a free composite/L-R RCA input free, my question would be the same except replace VGA with composite.(yellow input) Anyone know of a generic inexpensive device that will generate a generic analog composite signal? (maybe even randomized colors or something visual? smaller the better too) I'd like to stick with the VGA input if at all possible still though. I just need to figure out a way to get any old signal input. I dont want to build anything that would take more than a few minutes. The kit above looks like it wouldnt be very quick.

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #5 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Ever hear of a black burst generator? Or a pattern generator? Check B&H photo.

Randy J. Fisher, CTS-D
post #6 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Spend the $20 on some cheap PC speakers instead?
post #7 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ok after much research I think I found the best solution. Let me know if anyone has any better suggestions. Here is the email I just sent my friend.

Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:02 PM
To: My Friend
Subject: Your audio video TV fix

I was searching all over and finally found just what you need for cheap too. (My OCD kicked in and I googled away)

Option 1a) 2.5" Hdd player-NTFS-media AV-CX-MP3 DVD DIVX Jpg
http://www.google.com/products?q=hdd...tf-8&scoring=p
(check location and shipping cost)

-VGA connection
-Can store and play your JPG photos
-Can even play your .AVI videos you download too.

This will keep your monitor active as well. Hard drive is not included, but guess what I still have your old broken laptop here so we can pull the hard drive out and you're all set!

Option 1b) Three port input switch box (just used for audio only)
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...rca&category0=

You'll use this to switch between three audio inputs 1)AirPort Express 2)occasional Laptop 3)The 2.5 Hdd player
You'll probably want to be able to switch between the VGA of the Laptop vs the VGA of the Hdd Player so you might want to add option 1c) below as well.

Option 1c) VGA / Audio switch box
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=32%26fsoo%3D2

Option 2) Share and Switch box the audio input from your Cable box.
(TV will keep video active as you listen to music)
((just buy the Option 1A above))

post #8 of 10 Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Hi Jon,

Did you ever find an inexpensive way of achieving this, I have a very similar issue with my Fathers new (cheapo) panel. Only difference being the audio channel is cut, if there is no VGA\\Composite video signal. I'm thinking there must be something out there that will generate a signal down a composite cable.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-08-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie0362 View Post

Hi Jon,

Did you ever find an inexpensive way of achieving this, I have a very similar issue with my Fathers new (cheapo) panel. Only difference being the audio channel is cut, if there is no VGA\\Composite video signal. I'm thinking there must be something out there that will generate a signal down a composite cable.

the 1A option in my above post is all you need. It outputs in both VGA and composite (yellow rca cable)
It's only 20 bucks too

http://www.google.com/products?q=bes...w=dd&scoring=p

post #10 of 10 Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 AM

I found this thread searching for a way to get a cheap and dirty video signal to our HDTVs so my wife's Ipod Classic (6th generation) would play through them. Our Samsung HDTVs need a video signal before they will accept audio input. I found that I could plug in the composite video output from either my digital camera or DVD player and the output from the Ipod mini-stereo to RCA plugs cable would be accepted by the sets. However, I didn't want to drag the camera from set to set. In addition the Samsung DVD player automatically shuts down after a few minutes if there is no disk inserted. I solved the problem by running the composite video output from the Dish Network boxes hooked to each TV to one of the AV input jacks on the TV. I then simply hooked the RCA jacks from the Ipod into the jacks associated with the video input. I have a HD and a regular Dish Network box. Both provide a video signal to the HDTVs while they are turned off but plugged into an outlet. However, the HD box produces a moving splash screen whether the box is on or off, while the regular box does not produce a splash screen screen when turned off. I believe this is due to my HD box having an external QAM converter attached. Everybody has an old composite cable laying around and it beats buying a $50.00 av cable from Apple.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page