Sony Bravia KDL-40V2500...use of indoor hd antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-21-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, please let me apologize if this should be on another board

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40V2500 LCD tv hooked up outside near my hot tub. I do not currently have cable hooked up to this tv. I assumed since it has a built in ATSC tuner that I could get OTA channels without the help of an external HD antenna. However, my tv is not receiving either analog or digital signals. Is the built in tuner not strong enough to receive OTA channels? Maybe a setting in the TV is not turned on? Or do I indeed need to buy an antenna (preferably indoor as I do not wish to hang an outdoor antenna).

I felt I knew quite a bit about HD television but I realize I am very ignorant when it comes to tv's and antennas. Any help you guys can be would greatly help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-21-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

any help at all guys would be awesome
post #3 of 10 Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuk21 View Post

First, please let me apologize if this should be on another board

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40V2500 LCD tv hooked up outside near my hot tub. I do not currently have cable hooked up to this tv. I assumed since it has a built in ATSC tuner that I could get OTA channels without the help of an external HD antenna. However, my tv is not receiving either analog or digital signals. Is the built in tuner not strong enough to receive OTA channels? Maybe a setting in the TV is not turned on? Or do I indeed need to buy an antenna (preferably indoor as I do not wish to hang an outdoor antenna).

I felt I knew quite a bit about HD television but I realize I am very ignorant when it comes to tv's and antennas. Any help you guys can be would greatly help me out.

Did you connect any kind of antenna to the TV? Even a pair of cheap rabbit ears? If not then no - it would be doubtful the TV itself can pick up any OTA channels. You need some sort of antenna and even with a good indoor antenna - you must be close enough to the towers to get any decent signals...
post #4 of 10 Old 09-21-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

no antenna was hooked up because i thought the built-in atsc tuner itself would be able to pick up OTA signals without the help of an antenna.

now i guess the question is, which antenna do i get? i'm in louisville, ky. most towers seems be about 10-15 miles away. any suggestions for antennas of the indoor type?
post #5 of 10 Old 09-21-2008, 06:35 PM

Joshuk-

Almost any indoor antenna will do. Just make sure that it is capable of receiving HD signals, and that the antenna itself is amplified. The stronger the better. You can place it inside and just run a cord outside to the tv. Walmarts, Targets, etc all carry indoor antennas that are powered.

Cheers,

Oh, I have many skills......
post #6 of 10 Old 09-21-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

i've read on other threads that amplified antennas are actually less effective than non-amplified antennas because they interfere somehow in receiving signals. any truth to this? or are amplified antennas better as a rule of thumb?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 PM

Sorry to jump on this thread. But I own the same KDL 40 V2500, and I do have a HD antenna plugged in the back, but when I go to try to do the auto program function in the digital channels and got no luck, it's a HD antenna from Radio Shack. It's not amplified but still, that is the same antenna that works in Radio Shack.

Any ideas? I get great reception of the analog channels, but not the digital/HD channels.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 AM

Guys, go to antennaweb.org http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx to learn what type of antenna you need for your location.

Amplified ones can help or hinder reception depending on the strength of the signal you receive.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 04:09 PM

Jvernon: thank you for the reply, after a lot of trouble shoot, I kept thinking that there was something odd. Everytime I went into the digital settings to try to run the autoprogram and add the digital channels I know are available because my neighbor gets them with an older version of a bravia than mine. I even decided to give it a shot with his antenna and No Luck. It's one of those high priced from radio shack, in which you can actually point or move the antenna by pressing some buttons in the front panel.

I kept getting frustrated, so after looking around in the internet every othe post pointed to using an amplified antenna, well guess what at least for me, for this exact TV model, that was not it!

It turns out, that first, in the SETUP settings menu, there you can chooose captions, label video inputs, etc.... but at the end there is a setting for Cable.
Here if it is on, the TV thinks it's getting the channels trough a cable provider, hence the word CABLE in the top right of the screen while you are triyng to run the add/auto program feature for the digital channels.

You need to switch this to OFF, and BINGO!!! even with the crappiest antenna available I was able to get my HD channels! if you get some but not all, then maybe the solution for that is to get a better antenna.

Hope this info helps other owners of this same TV.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Liked: 11
I just gave my Mom my Sony kdl-40v2500 because I upgraded to an XBR8. With just the on-board tuner in the set and without an antenna I was able to get 13 channels in for her. The majority of which broadcasting at 1020i or 720p. She was lucky! It all depends on where you live in relationship too the broadcast site.

Best,
Tom
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page