Good replacement for a Samsung LE32R78 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-24-2008, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I've had a Samsung LE32R78xxx for about 18 months. It's been fantastic until recently when it's developed a darkening patch. Whilst I'm arguing the details about a possible replacement with the retailer, I thought I'd look around at what's available these days (with an eye on the Samsung LE32A457)

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what I should be on the look-out for. For example, I was careful when I got my current TV to ensure it had one of the 'good' panels (Sammy had been playing that nasty game of slipping lower-quality panels into the same model). Is that sort of thing still an issue with the current range?

The sort of specs I'm looking for are:
  • 32" minimum
  • 720p and a good viewing angle. 1080i/p isn't necessary, but if it's definitely worth it (considering the rest of these points), I'll go for it.
  • 1:1 pixel mapping when a computer is connected via VGA (or if possible, HDMI/DVI - my current TV only handles standard HD resolutions via DVI)
  • Good quality panel. Whilst I'm happy to accept middle-of-the-road SD quality, I want HD sources to look impressive (given the price bracket)
  • Preferably a Samsung although I'm open to suggestions
  • Don't care in the slightest about built-in audio
  • Good performance with games (e.g., my current non-HDMI Xbox 360 looks just great on my current TV via VGA)
  • Upper price limit is about £550, but I can be persuaded to go to £650 if there's a good value-for-money reason
  • SD should be 'acceptable' - I'm happy to watch my SD Sky satellite TV with a less-than-stellar image, as long as the Xbox and my decent upscaling DVD player looks nice

I think my real fear is getting a new unit that's in some way not as good as my current TV. As I said, I've really enjoyed my R78 -- it's just a shame this -- albeit minor -- problem has arisen. My mate's actually said they'd give me £200 for my TV since they're not bothered by the mark.

Thanks for any and all help!

Regards,
Chris
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page