I was able to get this TV delivered through the SONY Friends and Family Employee program. So needless to say, the price really sold me on deciding to buy this TV.
I have owned it for a couple of weeks now and I am pretty excited about it.
Like someone else mentioned in this thread, it isn't the most perfect TV. But the CONs are so very minimal to pass this TV by.
As a picky person, let me be up-front.
1) I previously owned a 52LN650A Samsung. I returned it after the lamp went out during the first week. I returned a second one after the TV keep rebooting itself in 1-5 min intervals in any input channel. (sounds like I just had bad luck with it, but discussion on this set is for another thread)
2) I am an avid Gamer. (PS3 HDMI. Xbox 360 Component.)
3) PS3 is also my primary Blu-Ray player.
4) I do not use a cable box for TV viewing. I simply have basic cable plugged directly into the TV.
5) I sit 8' from the set in a small room.
6) No HD Reciever for audio. I use the TV speakers.
7) I have not calibrated it yet. Picture is set to Standard with Neutral color.
1) Game Mode:
I have to now switch back and forth from game mode on/off when gaming and watching movies. Its minimal but cumbersome since there isn't an instant Game-Mode button on the remote. The game mode switch is deep in the menu.
The TV Speakers sound Great for the small room that I am in. There is no rattling or cracking of the speakers. However, occasionally when booting up my PS3 there isn't any audio coming through. I am forced to re-boot the PS3 (holding down the power button to cycle through default configurations) to re-configure the Dolby audio channel. I am wondering if it has to do with the sequence on how I turn on the TV and PS3 together. Maybe the TV has to be on all the way before the PS3 should be turned on for it to recognize the Dolby PS3 configuration? I am not sure.
I am still urgently looking for a solution for this.
3) Standard Def TV:
Bluntly, it doesn't look great but its acceptable for me since I don't watch much TV. However, the HD channels that come in look very good. I am thankful that the TV tuner even picks up preimum channels that I didn't pay for previously.
1) Even without calibration, HD channels and Blu-Ray look amazing. DVDs through the PS3 also look great!
2) No sparkles!
3) The TV is quite as a mouse. My PS3 is way louder =X
4) The speakers sound great like I mentioned before. Very audible even at high volumes. I am happy that it's Dobly.
5) 1080i looks great. I don't have equipment to measure but I have a hard time telling the difference between 1080i and 1080p with this TV.
6) There is no glare/gloss.
7) I got Rock Band working on PS3 with out any lag whatso ever. (Drum fill or otherwise) Game Mode on TV. Dobly Digital Check Mark Box disabled in the Rock Band Game settings. I tried both ways with Dolby on and off and I honestly couldn't tell that much of a difference in audio in the room I was in. Especially while banging away on drums.)
8) Reduced Price. I was able to get this set for ~$2660. It was within my price range. I figured that if I was going to wait for the current retail prices to drop, I probably wouldn't see them until post holiday season.