what is backlight? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-28-2008, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just inherited a Toshiba 37HL95 for my den. This is my first LCD. Until now, I have been watching a 27" Toshiba (4-5 years old). In my home theater, I am using an Infocus IN76 DLP projector, so I have become a little spoiled in terms of size and color. I bought another HD PVR to use with this LCD, and most of the viewing is great. However, dark scenes have been TERRIBLE. I also have a Pioneer DV-410V-K as my DVD player. I had my settings that I came about with my Avia disc. However, my backlight was high (80ish+) and dynamic contrast was set to ON. When I was watching anything with very dark scenes, I just about lost all detail and picture was very grey.

I stumbled on some post on here recommending to turn down the backlight. I have since turned it down to (50ish) and turned off dynamic contrast. I readjusted with Avia and tweaked by hand to get it better (it is better than before). It still isn't in the Infocus category for blacks, but it is better. Dynamic contrast makes things blacker, but they are too dark and detail is lost (at least at these settings).

So what the hell is backlight for? Is it supposed to do something in particular? Does it directly affect contrast or brightness? Any rule of thumb in its setting? BTW, does anyone know what Grey Level 1, 2, or 3 is in this Toshiba LCD? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-28-2008, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LCD panels work by blocking the light provided by a lamp to make black and allowing varying amounts of light from that source to pass through red, green, and blue filters. The backlight control is the intensity of that light source. The rule of thumb is that to get the best blacks, turn down the backlight as much as possible. It will affect contrast and brightness, as well as possibly gamma and gray scale. You will need to recalibrate those after setting the backlight.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page