Going to Bestbuy today: What should I look for? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm heading to Bestbuy later today. There will be no purchase of a display unit made. The search is for a TV that will be used in my new FL home in a few months.

I have my price range, I have my size range, I know the light situation, etc. etc.

As for picture quality, besides the obvious "that looks good to me" what type of things should I look for in the pictures? What type of settings should I change? What will the actually allow me to do at the store?

Just want some basic advice on how I should go about my visit to the store in search for the tv I think has the best picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If a picture lacks some punch, or looks a little washed out, look to adjust the birghtness and color. and vice versa if it's blinding.

also when a salemen comes over to ask if you can help you, just tell him you are all set and just looking, seriously, these guys are worst than used car salesmen.
post #3 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Narrow down your tv's and hope you can find them close together , watch the same clips over and over which they should be running at bb.

Then just do the ben franklin take each thing and mark out a clear winner , look at first motion (see who wins), then color (see who wins) , clarity or sharpness and so on until you see the winner.

Then mix in your budget and heck even go with your gut , do you like such and such tv better before you even got into the store and if it isnt clear in the store just go with that tv.

Theres nothing like letting the heart decide through what you liked first off , it normally helps all together in hard choices.
post #4 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHitman14 View Post

I'm heading to Bestbuy later today. There will be no purchase of a display unit made. The search is for a TV that will be used in my new FL home in a few months.

I have my price range, I have my size range, I know the light situation, etc. etc.

As for picture quality, besides the obvious "that looks good to me" what type of things should I look for in the pictures? What type of settings should I change? What will the actually allow me to do at the store?

Just want some basic advice on how I should go about my visit to the store in search for the tv I think has the best picture.

Also bring with you a 10% coupon or do some price matching in the store if you do decide to purchase.
post #5 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

You really need to narrow things down some before you go in. If you're thinking about a LCD tv, then you're probably talking about Sony and Samsung. Go to their websites and look at the models they offer in your size/price range. Look at the reviews. Look at the owner/calibration threads for the two or three tv's you'll hopefully narrow things down to. This will give you an idea what settings to change when you go into the store to look at them.

In short, you'll get a lot more from your in-store visit if you do your homework first.
post #6 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhollis View Post

You really need to narrow things down some before you go in. If you're thinking about a LCD tv, then you're probably talking about Sony and Samsung. Go to their websites and look at the models they offer in your size/price range. Look at the reviews. Look at the owner/calibration threads for the two or three tv's you'll hopefully narrow things down to. This will give you an idea what settings to change when you go into the store to look at them.

In short, you'll get a lot more from your in-store visit if you do your homework first.

^ yeah that
post #7 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 PM

And after visiting the store and looking, go home and order online and save a couple hundred.

Eastern NC.
Come on Plasma and LCD guys!...you know that the DLP format is better!...& You can be format neutral if you want but the war is over...BluRay won!
post #8 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Whatever you do, resist the urge to buy ANYTHING except the TV.

Don't buy a mount, don't buy any cables, don't buy an extended warranty, don't buy delivery, don't buy setup, don't buy ANYTHING else from BB. Just buy the TV cash and carry, and walk.

After you buy the TV and bring it home yoursef. Go to monoprice and buy the mount and cables, shop around on the internet if you want an extended warranty.

Also, you mention for your FL home in a "few months". If you don't need the TV for a "few months", then don't buy it now. Wait for upcoming sales for the day after Thanksgiving and such.

With the way the stock market is doing right now, I can guarantee you that there will be awesome sales in the lead up to the Christmas shopping season. People are going to be desperate and hungry, so wait for a rock-bottom sale price. Don't pay retail price at BB.
post #9 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

If a picture lacks some punch, or looks a little washed out, look to adjust the birghtness and color. and vice versa if it's blinding.

also when a salemen comes over to ask if you can help you, just tell him you are all set and just looking, seriously, these guys are worst than used car salesmen.

at least its better than no help at all
post #10 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post

Don't buy a mount, don't buy any cables, don't buy an extended warranty, don't buy delivery, don't buy setup, don't buy ANYTHING else from BB. Just buy the TV cash and carry, and walk.
season. People are going to be desperate and hungry, so wait for a rock-bottom sale price. Don't pay retail price at BB.

Actually I would look into that service plan though. That warranty thingy is not a warranty. It saved my ass two years ago when my samsung crapped out. house got struck by lightning. I didnt have a surge protector at the time so my display got fried. Repairs were too costly so I got credit for my TV. Got a chance to upgrade from a 720p display to a panny 1080p display. Best $300 I invested. Beats paying another $2500 on another tv. Better than my hitachi in my other room too!

I guess some people just dont see the value in some of the things bb has to offer. I had my good times and bad times with them so I know how it can be.

I'm heading back to get a samsung lcd sometime soon
post #11 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you tv purchase is for a home you are buying, WAIT and do not buy today. Wait for the Christmas sales and get it then.
post #12 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it's time to invest in a good surge protector!

Go 24
post #13 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

Maybe it's time to invest in a good surge protector!

definitely already did that
post #14 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

If you tv purchase is for a home you are buying, WAIT and do not buy today. Wait for the Christmas sales and get it then.

Yes. If you don't need this TV for a months, don't buy it now.

Buy it between the day after Thanksgiving and the day before Christmas. Sometime between that time frame and you will get it better, bigger, and cheaper.
post #15 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

well the first thing i would recommend to you as soon as you go into Best Buy is to look for and be aware of the exit. I dont mean that in as much a mean way as youd think, but just be willing to walk away if youre not convinced on the price. I only mention this cause the itch to pull the trigger will be high.

I am from south florida and can tell you that Brandsmart USA has better prices (including their warranty prices). The downside is that the buying experience isnt as "enjoyable", because it feels more like a clearance store. If you press hard enough, they can adjust the price though (ive done it before). Usually they can knock some money off the delivery or the warranty. If you do not have this store near your part of Florida, just be aware of other stores and their prices.

As for the T.V., I have to recommend a warranty to whatever set you get. In my opinion there are more "cons" than "pros" to not having a warranty. It at least gives you the option to have a set repaired or exchanged. I would always include it in my price (along with taxes and delivery costs).

You mention that you know the price range and light situation, does that mean you have decided on the type of tv? Lcd or plasma? You should be looking for properly set up displays at a showroom (which is a hard thing). Play around with each set that you like, and sets that you DONT LIKE. Many times picture settings are way off. Bring a calibration disc if you can, and play around with each set. Take your time in making a decision and dont just solely rely on higher specs. Things like contrast numbers for example, are measured differently within the industry. Good Luck
post #16 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

...also when a salemen comes over to ask if you can help you, just tell him you are all set and just looking, seriously, these guys are worst than used car salesmen.

Oh, stop. I'm one of those guys.

More accurately, you should say that "some of these guys are worse than used car salesman".

Generalizations are rarely accurate, or helpful.

post #17 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Yes. If you don't need this TV for a months, don't buy it now.

Buy it between the day after Thanksgiving and the day before Christmas. Sometime between that time frame and you will get it better, bigger, and cheaper.

I actually have a different recommendation. I am a business economist and yes the stock market is bad right now and we're heading into a recession (the full definition of it anyways). There are going to be good prices in the next few months (christmas for example)...the only problem is that your money may or may not be able to go towards that purchase. We might be in bad economic times and buying a TV wont make sense to you in the future.

There is no harm in waiting, but if you decide to wait do not feel forced to purchase just because youve been waiting. Prices will be lower, but the value of your dollar will be lower as well.....it might end up being exactly the same "price" as right now. Many people forget the purchasing power of the dollar and instead think that just because the number is lower that its better. Sorry if this is confusing.

Please take these things into account and make a decision based on your current financial standing, and be aware of your future financial standing. Decide at what time can you actually afford it without it hurting you.
post #18 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow100 View Post

I actually have a different recommendation. I am a business economist and yes the stock market is bad right now and we're heading into a recession (the full definition of it anyways). There are going to be good prices in the next few months (christmas for example)...the only problem is that your money may or may not be able to go towards that purchase. We might be in bad economic times and buying a TV wont make sense to you in the future.

There is no harm in waiting, but if you decide to wait do not feel forced to purchase just because youve been waiting. Prices will be lower, but the value of your dollar will be lower as well.....it might end up being exactly the same "price" as right now. Many people forget the purchasing power of the dollar and instead think that just because the number is lower that its better. Sorry if this is confusing.

Please take these things into account and make a decision based on your current financial standing, and be aware of your future financial standing. Decide at what time can you actually afford it without it hurting you.

With the Dow plunging 777 points today, saying "the stock market is bad right now" may be more than a bit of an understatement. I think I'll buy the wife a new 'Vette, me a new Sony XBR8 when they come out, watch a few movies on it, and then go jump off a bridge.
post #19 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

So I finally went on my shop today. It'd be better if there was an overall display forum since I have not yet chosen on LCD, Plasma or DLP, but this thread has the most activity so I posted here.

One word to describe my experience; overwhelmed. It's much easier to sit down and compare prices and quantifiable statistics on televisions like contrast ratios, refresh rates, etc. than it is to stare at a bunch of tvs and try to come to a conclusion. Through the hour I spent their staring at tvs I came to a few conclusions.

1. LCD over Plasma. Glare was not an issue at all, and didn't seem like it ever would be. I'm just not a fan of the picture. It's less vibrant than that of the LCD. Some people think the LCD picture is too sharp and bright and clear to the point that it's a "better than life" picture and too unrealistic. I however am a fan of the LCD picture.

2. Rear projection viewing angle is somewhat of an issue. If you're in front of the tv it's okay, but when you start to drift to the side the picture definitly gets darker.

3. Rear projection image contrast is not as good as that of the LCD. When the image goes black on the two TVs, it's a super black on the LCD while a slightly lighter black on the rear projection. The overall image is okay, slightly more dull than the LCD, but overall it's good.

4. For the most part, it's between Samsung and Sony. I did see a nice Mitsubishi rear projection, but I wouldn't deviate from Samsung or Sony unless it was for the one Mitsubishi that I saw.

Overall, I think the LCD is the best picture. After that I'd go rear projection. I don't need a flat panel since I won't be mounting the unit, which makes me start to lean towards rear projection since a ton of the money spent on LCD is for it's slimness.

I think I gained some knowledge here, but I still have a tonnnnnn to look at.

Any more suggestions from what I've said?

btw, if I haven't mentioned, I have a price range of about 1700 or so, and I'm looking for a big tv....anywhere from 46" up to 61". A big range, but I'm still not completely sure. If it's towards the top, it'll be rear projection for sure. Anyways, let me know what you guys think.
post #20 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsdohcvvtli View Post

at least its better than no help at all

It depends on the quality of the "help." Bad help is definitely worse than no help at all.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #21 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....Any more suggestions from what I've said?

btw, if I haven't mentioned, I have a price range of about 1700 or so, and I'm looking for a big tv..........

yeah, one suggestion: get used to the idea that your price range will rise dramatically.

at 1700 for a large, you're at the low end of the model ranges, and i'll bet, judging from your account of your first look-see, that you are going to want more. imo.

thanks for the ride-along.

//TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #22 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well fortunately, but also unfortunately, the price range will not rise. Bad I guess, but good because it's not actually my money.

My parents bought a house in FL which they plan to retire in in about 10 years. I'll probably be living there for the next 2-3 years after I graduate school in the spring of 09'. Win win for both of us. Cheap rent for me, and I pay for their utility bills, property taxes, HOA fees, etc. so they dont' have expenses of owning a second home.

My dad knows I have a better knowledge on electronics than he does. Not that I'm an audio/videophile, but I do understand the basics on most audio/video systems.
post #23 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 PM

With that price range, I would have to recommend a DLP. If you want big with that price range, your pretty much stuck with those. If you go with LCD's than thats gonna limit you to the high 30's to low 40's in screen size.

You can get a 61" Samsung HL61A650 DLP for around $1600
post #24 of 38 Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsdohcvvtli View Post

With that price range, I would have to recommend a DLP. If you want big with that price range, your pretty much stuck with those. If you go with LCD's than thats gonna limit you to the high 30's to low 40's in screen size.

You can get a 61" Samsung HL61A650 DLP for around $1600

Eh, you can get some LCDs in that range in the 40"+ range

Samsung LN46A750 $1,709.00
Sony Bravia W-Series KDL-46W4100 $1699.00

But yeah, I am looking at the DLPs....just not sure if I want to sacrifice size for quality since in my opinion the LCD is a better picture...
post #25 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Don't get a humpback whale DLP. Stick with a flat panel.
post #26 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

I don't care about size. It's not being mounted.

I just want a big, good quality tv for a cheap price.
post #27 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Don't get a humpback whale DLP. Stick with a flat panel.

Agreed! My son has a new 65" DLP and I have a new Samsung 46A650. He likes his BIG picture but he also says my TV has the best picture quality. It's all in what you want and what you can afford. DLP is old technology, but it's your money.
post #28 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM

Don't be a stupid consumer... All new DLP are very thin! and 9/10 the people that buy lcd tv for the thin flat panel are putting it on a stand that is wider than the dlp... and if they are mounting it on the wall, they have a stand right below it full of a/v equipment! so people who buy larger LCD tv are the type of people who watch tv and see an lcd on the wall of the office of nip/tuck and go buy one because they see hollywood using them... DLP is better than lcd in larger sizes! places like best buy and circuit city put those lcd and plasmas in the front of the store and turn it to "torch mode" because they are more expensive and they know most people have no idea about this stuff!

1. You can hardly do any real comparison in store (they make it that way) the tv are with each other lcd with lcd, plasma with plasma, etc... the lighting is terrible, and the settings are torched!
2. don't listen to any sales guy there... they don't have any idea of what they are talking about, it is just bs! Don't believe me, ask them what is the best tv and they will go straight to the most expensive one!
3. try the same settings on each tv... make sure the contrast and brightness are about half or lower and the color is not all the way up!

I got my 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP 736 for around 1400 shipped... and the blu ray (using my ps3) is just amazing!
post #29 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArPaNET View Post

Don't be a stupid consumer... All new DLP are very thin! and 9/10 the people that buy lcd tv for the thin flat panel are putting it on a stand that is wider than the dlp... and if they are mounting it on the wall, they have a stand right below it full of a/v equipment! so people who buy larger LCD tv are the type of people who watch tv and see an lcd on the wall of the office of nip/tuck and go buy one because they see hollywood using them... DLP is better than lcd in larger sizes! places like best buy and circuit city put those lcd and plasmas in the front of the store and turn it to "torch mode" because they are more expensive and they know most people have no idea about this stuff!

1. You can hardly do any real comparison in store (they make it that way) the tv are with each other lcd with lcd, plasma with plasma, etc... the lighting is terrible, and the settings are torched!
2. don't listen to any sales guy there... they don't have any idea of what they are talking about, it is just bs! Don't believe me, ask them what is the best tv and they will go straight to the most expensive one!
3. try the same settings on each tv... make sure the contrast and brightness are about half or lower and the color is not all the way up!

I got my 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP 736 for around 1400 shipped... and the blu ray (using my ps3) is just amazing!

Typically I would agree, however, my experience yesterday was much different.

First difference was that they had the Samsung 750 LCD series right next to the DLP rear projection tv. The units were all supposedly "out of box" settings. I took a look and it seemed like they were.

The salesman at circuit city actually seemed somewhat knowledgeable. He told me he had a rear projection and it's great. He says w. the LCD you're mostly paying for the slimness of the tv and the DLP tvs are a great price for the size you're getting.

My only problem was, the LCD did look much crisper, cleaner and brighter than that of the DLP. The whites on the DLP appeared somewhat grainy. The blacks were as black as could be on the LCD when on the DLP they were slightly grayer.

Just my opinion....
post #30 of 38 Old 09-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

DLP is yesterday's news. It's a flat world now.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page