Official Sony XBR8 Series Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefster View Post

divashenko--

Thank You and others for responding to my dilemma. After my first post, I've been back and forth to BB a dozen times checking out the perceived difference between the 52XBR5, 52XBR6, and the 55XBR8. I could/would plop down the cash for the XBR8 IF it was a HUGE leap forward and would be the "end all" for an HDTV Flat screen. You know, like the old days when you would buy a SONY TRINITRON and NOT replace it for 15-20 years or until it broke. BUT, that is simply NOT the case. Thus, I personally cannot justify the EXTRA $4K. The deal with my wife was supposed to be that AFTER we replaced the 20 year old carpeting in our house, we could buy the new super TV. Well, If I purchased the XBR 4/5 or XBR 6, I could do BOTH for the same money.

As I said earlier, I REALLY like the style of the XBR 4/5 over the style of the XBR 6. So, I kept runnning back and forth to BB to compare a NEW 52XBR6 with a leftover floor demo of the 52XBR5. (XBR 4 ALL SOLD OUT) Out of 4 BB stores in my area, I could only find one that happened to have a 52XBR5 floor model left on display. (I need/want the 52 inch size of either set that I choose) It was always TOO loud in the store to get a decent listen to the STOCK speakers on ANY model, but it just seemed like there was more "real estate" available on the "speaker ears" of the XBR4/5 such that it "SHOULD" sound better. Of course I did NOT want to buy a FLOOR DEMO that had been on display for a year with a manufactered date of OCT 2007.

But, I found a reputable online "Authorized Sony Retailer" that had ONE NEW 52XBR5 left in stock for the SAME price as the 46 XBR4 (which they had FIVE NEW in stock left) They did NOT have a 52XBR4 in stock. I always preferred the Piano Black finish of the XBR5 over the XBR4, but didn't feel it was worth the extra $300 bucks. However, when I found this super deal, I had to act fast. The XBR5 also comes with an 18 month SONY factory warranty as opposed to 12 months on the XBR4.

After comparing the YEAR OLD 52XBR5 next to the NEW 52XBR6, I couldn't really tell ANY SIGNIFICANT difference in the PQ. That to me spoke volumes about the PQ longevity of the XBR5. Of course the contrast spec is quoted as being better on the XBR6, but when watching "real world" programing (as opposed to test pattern DVDs) They looked virtually the same to me. Thus, I called the online dealer to VERIFY that the 52XBR5 that he had in stock was INDEED NEW. NO refurbished units, NO demo units, etc. I was assured that it was NEW IN THE BOX, never opened so I jumped on it. I ordered it on Monday afternoon FREE SHIPPING, NO TAX! To my delight, it arrived Thursday BEFORE NOON! It was indeed NEW in the box. All of the FACTORY packed saran wrap on the bezel with stickers, etc. MANUFACTURED in JUNE 2008, ASSEMBLED IN THE USA!

It was the "real deal" and I'm VERY HAPPY with the purchase! I feel like a kid when I just BARELY
got the LAST ONE out there. The new SONY lineup just didn't knock my socks off. Either I would buy a XBR6 and always stare at it, wishing it had the look of the XBR5, or buy the XBR8 and notice EVERY MINOR PQ flaw and be Pi$$ed that I spent that kind of money on it. Also I am VERY HAPPY with the STOCK Speaker sound. It has a LOT of adjustments so that I can make it sound really decent for casual listening. This set will keep me happy for another 5 years as the whole LED/OLED technology works itself out, and then when they get that price to come down to $4K, I can upgrade then and still have only paid LESS than the $7K that I'd have to put out for LED backlight technology today. (I am a diehard SONY MAN, so to me, Samsung just doesn't enter into the picture for me)

There may be a FEW more of the XBR 4/5 sets out there, but they are VERY RARE now, so if anyone else likes the physical look of those sets over the new design of the XBR6 and can't afford the XBR8, I highly agree with everything that "divashenko" has said and recommend going the route that I just did. I'm still BLOWN AWAY at how great ALL of the COX HDTV channels look as well as my BLU-RAY BDP-S350 (updated to BD LIVE firmware Ver. 10) COX SDTV channels are pretty good too.

Thanks for your help! And, thanks for listening! I promise to keep my future posts MUCH SHORTER! But, right now, I'm a kid at Christmas!

^^ You are me in a lot of respects and overall mindset and outlook.

Your journey here has given me much food for thought.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:

divashenko--

Thank You and others for responding to my dilemma. After my first post, I've been back and forth to BB a dozen times checking out the perceived difference between the 52XBR5, 52XBR6, and the 55XBR8. I could/would plop down the cash for the XBR8 IF it was a HUGE leap forward and would be the "end all" for an HDTV Flat screen. You know, like the old days when you would buy a SONY TRINITRON and NOT replace it for 15-20 years or until it broke. BUT, that is simply NOT the case. Thus, I personally cannot justify the EXTRA $4K. The deal with my wife was supposed to be that AFTER we replaced the 20 year old carpeting in our house, we could buy the new super TV. Well, If I purchased the XBR 4/5 or XBR 6, I could do BOTH for the same money.

As I said earlier, I REALLY like the style of the XBR 4/5 over the style of the XBR 6. So, I kept runnning back and forth to BB to compare a NEW 52XBR6 with a leftover floor demo of the 52XBR5. (XBR 4 ALL SOLD OUT) Out of 4 BB stores in my area, I could only find one that happened to have a 52XBR5 floor model left on display. (I need/want the 52 inch size of either set that I choose) It was always TOO loud in the store to get a decent listen to the STOCK speakers on ANY model, but it just seemed like there was more "real estate" available on the "speaker ears" of the XBR4/5 such that it "SHOULD" sound better. Of course I did NOT want to buy a FLOOR DEMO that had been on display for a year with a manufactered date of OCT 2007.

But, I found a reputable online "Authorized Sony Retailer" that had ONE NEW 52XBR5 left in stock for the SAME price as the 46 XBR4 (which they had FIVE NEW in stock left) They did NOT have a 52XBR4 in stock. I always preferred the Piano Black finish of the XBR5 over the XBR4, but didn't feel it was worth the extra $300 bucks. However, when I found this super deal, I had to act fast. The XBR5 also comes with an 18 month SONY factory warranty as opposed to 12 months on the XBR4.

After comparing the YEAR OLD 52XBR5 next to the NEW 52XBR6, I couldn't really tell ANY SIGNIFICANT difference in the PQ. That to me spoke volumes about the PQ longevity of the XBR5. Of course the contrast spec is quoted as being better on the XBR6, but when watching "real world" programing (as opposed to test pattern DVDs) They looked virtually the same to me. Thus, I called the online dealer to VERIFY that the 52XBR5 that he had in stock was INDEED NEW. NO refurbished units, NO demo units, etc. I was assured that it was NEW IN THE BOX, never opened so I jumped on it. I ordered it on Monday afternoon FREE SHIPPING, NO TAX! To my delight, it arrived Thursday BEFORE NOON! It was indeed NEW in the box. All of the FACTORY packed saran wrap on the bezel with stickers, etc. MANUFACTURED in JUNE 2008, ASSEMBLED IN THE USA!

It was the "real deal" and I'm VERY HAPPY with the purchase! I feel like a kid when I just BARELY
got the LAST ONE out there. The new SONY lineup just didn't knock my socks off. Either I would buy a XBR6 and always stare at it, wishing it had the look of the XBR5, or buy the XBR8 and notice EVERY MINOR PQ flaw and be Pi$$ed that I spent that kind of money on it. Also I am VERY HAPPY with the STOCK Speaker sound. It has a LOT of adjustments so that I can make it sound really decent for casual listening. This set will keep me happy for another 5 years as the whole LED/OLED technology works itself out, and then when they get that price to come down to $4K, I can upgrade then and still have only paid LESS than the $7K that I'd have to put out for LED backlight technology today. (I am a diehard SONY MAN, so to me, Samsung just doesn't enter into the picture for me)

There may be a FEW more of the XBR 4/5 sets out there, but they are VERY RARE now, so if anyone else likes the physical look of those sets over the new design of the XBR6 and can't afford the XBR8, I highly agree with everything that "divashenko" has said and recommend going the route that I just did. I'm still BLOWN AWAY at how great ALL of the COX HDTV channels look as well as my BLU-RAY BDP-S350 (updated to BD LIVE firmware Ver. 10) COX SDTV channels are pretty good too.

Thanks for your help! And, thanks for listening! I promise to keep my future posts MUCH SHORTER! But, right now, I'm a kid at Christmas!

Hey Keefster! GREAT! You made the right choice. Im really happy for you. Feel free to ask me for any help configuring the tV. It definately makes a difference once you have the proper settings. You now have one of the best LCDs on the market. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. CONGRATS!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and this is my first post here. Sorry if I will double-post or write in short sentences, because I am using PS3 to type (with joystick) and this ain't easy.

I want to buy an HDTV before New Year and I have 3 tv's to choose from. PRO-111FD, Samsung LN55A950 and Sony'n new XBR8. Price is not a VERY important factor, but still a factor. I want a TV that is no less then 55 inches and is good for gaming. I will use it 95% for PS3 and Wii games and 55% for movies. I have examined all 3 TV's for a long time. My friend has BOTH the 950 and XBR8(Rich SOB ) So I had a chance to watch them in all kinds of environments. Here are my conclusions...

XBR8
2 words. JAW DROPPING. Blacks are BLACK indeed, and are as good as Kuro's. Contrast, PQ, colour reproduction... Everything's 1st class. In my friends house I compared the 950 and XBR8 side by side too. Difference IS there. First of all is the TV noise. LN950 is making this ugly high-pitched sound when on standby. (Nextpostcont.)
Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVLover3 View Post

My friend has BOTH the 950 and XBR8(Rich SOB ) So I had a chance to watch them in all kinds of environments. Here are my conclusions...

XBR8
2 words. JAW DROPPING. Blacks are BLACK indeed, and are as good as Kuro's. Contrast, PQ, colour reproduction... Everything's 1st class. In my friends house I compared the 950 and XBR8 side by side too. Difference IS there. First of all is the TV noise. LN950 is making this ugly high-pitched sound when on standby. (Nextpostcont.)

wow both!
You wouldn't happened to snap a few pics of them when you were there would you?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:37 PM

(Damn PS3 with it's typing limit!)
Noise is not present when turned on. Next is that they have different panels. XBR8 is matte, 950 is glossy. To me there's no much difference, but matte looks more realistic to me. Blacks are almost equal on both sets, but XBR8 handles the LED dimming better. I'd say that Kuro 111, 950 and XBR8 have almost identical black levels. Normal eyes shouldn't be able to see much difference between black levels on those sets.

Now for input lags(mainly for gamers). Samsung SUCKS here. The lag is noticeable on all games. Game mode reduces it, but at a price of PQ. Guitar Hero can only be played in Game mode. XBR8 on the other hand has little to no lag on PS3, EVEN when not in Game mode. Wii has a lag on both sets. But XBR8 is a definite winner here.

The overall HD picture looks awesome on both sets, but XBR8 produces more "realistic" image overall. It's also more sharp and... Just better. But the difference is not big.

Continued in next post.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:01 PM

1080p/24 sources have issues on 950 that are not present on XBR8. 1080p/60 plays without issues on both sets.

SD To me is still VERY important. All PS2 games and DVD's... I can't let go of. XBR8 rules here. Both Kuro 111 and 950 have quite bad SD image quality. XBR8 looks great compared to them. It eliminates all artiifacts and its dejudder capabilities are truly great. It STILL will not look as good as on SDTV though.

950 also has another ugly issue. A remote lag when watching BD movies. It ranges from 3 to 15(!) seconds. Remote has an I-pod like wheel that sucks too. It's also a terrible fingerprint collector.

White blur effect on 950 is definitely overrated. It's barely noticeable actually. XBR8 has no such issues at all. Maybe on paper it does, but in real it's non-existent.

Off-angle problems are overrated on both sets, but 950 is worse then XBR8. PRO-111 wins here.

Also I really like XBR8s XMB and ENORMOUS amount of calibration options. Though 950 has many options too.
(Cont. next post).
Old 11-16-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey100 View Post

How do you define "floating" speakers?

See how there is a glass panel along the whole set. I thought the panel would just end at the side of the screen and then the speakers would just hang out there. Its a personal thing, not that the XBR8 is a bad looking TV.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM

My conclusion is that XBR8 is definitely better then 950. For me, as a gamer, XBR8 with it's almost non-existent lag and great SD image quality is a plain winner. BUT if you plan on ONLY watching HD and not playing games 950 is an awesome alternative. In HD PQ it's 99% equal to XBR8 or G9 Kuro's.

As for me, I am leaning towards XBR8. 950 comes second, then PRO-111FD. I have looked at Kuro and its awesome, but between those 3 TV's the PQ difference is practically non-existent. And, again as a gamer, I am afraid of buying plasma because of its burn-in issues. Not to mention that here in Czech Republic the XBR8 55" is more cheap then 60" Pioneer (Elite or normal). Much more cheap actually. And I want nothing less then 55". So it's down to XBR8 and 950. Input lag and SD on 950 is what scares me off. I am thinking "if i can get enough money to buy 950, then maybe I should wait more but get enough money to buy XBR8?". I can't wait for OLEDS to hit the market, so it's probably going to be XBR8 for me. Any advice?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

So it's down to XBR8 and 950. Input lag and SD on 950 is what scares me off. I am thinking "if i can get enough money to buy 950, then maybe I should wait more but get enough money to buy XBR8?". I can't wait for OLEDS to hit the market, so it's probably going to be XBR8 for me. Any advice?

I think you just answered your own question. It's generally better to pay a little bit more for something you definately will be happy with than to pay a bit less for something you'll probably be happy with.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carled View Post

I think you just answered your own question. It's generally better to pay a little bit more for something you definately will be happy with than to pay a bit less for something you'll probably be happy with.

How come MAGNOLIA listing 55XBR8 for $6999? and if BB 12% coupon could be used, then, price would be close to 6K?

But I wont still pay it? Give me 25% - 30% off only to consider lol
Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But, I found a reputable online "Authorized Sony Retailer" that had ONE NEW 52XBR5 left in stock for the SAME price as the 46 XBR4 (which they had FIVE NEW in stock left) ......!

keefster...what's the name of the dealer?

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Old 11-16-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

My conclusion is that XBR8 is definitely better then 950. For me, as a gamer, XBR8 with it's almost non-existent lag and great SD image quality is a plain winner. BUT if you plan on ONLY watching HD and not playing games 950 is an awesome alternative. In HD PQ it's 99% equal to XBR8 or G9 Kuro's.

As for me, I am leaning towards XBR8. 950 comes second, then PRO-111FD. I have looked at Kuro and its awesome, but between those 3 TV's the PQ difference is practically non-existent. And, again as a gamer, I am afraid of buying plasma because of its burn-in issues. Not to mention that here in Czech Republic the XBR8 55" is more cheap then 60" Pioneer (Elite or normal). Much more cheap actually. And I want nothing less then 55". So it's down to XBR8 and 950. Input lag and SD on 950 is what scares me off. I am thinking "if i can get enough money to buy 950, then maybe I should wait more but get enough money to buy XBR8?". I can't wait for OLEDS to hit the market, so it's probably going to be XBR8 for me. Any advice?

where did you see the 950. I personally spent alot of hours examining both the 950 and xbr8 and thought the 950 was the winner. Looked sharper, brighter and the xbr8 even had flashlight problems. Also like so many people have been saying, the xbr8 is not worth the price it is asking.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ I've seen both numerous times and prefer the XBR myself.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 PM

I think the xbr 8 has the slight edge in overall picture quality and the Samsung 950 is great with gaming and i hardly notice any lag and my friend got his calibrated and that is why i say the xbr 8 has the slight edge because the 950 looks twice as better from the box settings and the Samsung is a great buy for the money and especially when the price continues to drop in the future and it will be a year until Sony drops from $7000 to $3500 or $4000... If I had $5000 i would probably go for the xbr 8 as I love Sony products but the Samsung 950 has me closely looking at it to save me some money for almost as good as a picture as the xbr 8???
Old 11-16-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

keefster...what's the name of the dealer?

TVbc

As a newbie to this forum... Is it OK within the rules to divulge the information on this thread?

Last Monday the site was selling BOTH the 46XBR4 and 46
XBR5 for the SAME price. So, if that is the size you are looking for, and prefer the piano black finish with an 18 month warranty (as opposed to 12 months on the XBR4) then they have a GREAT deal on a few NEW 46XBR5 models left in stock. If you prefer the look of the XBR4, then that would be your choice. They did NOT have any 52XBR4 models in stock, but did have a couple of 52XBR5 models. I was one of the last to get one of these. (They may just have a couple left, as the sales guy said he was holding a couple for people to make up their minds). They were also selling the 52XBR6 for a very good price, but were NOT dropping the price on the 55XBR8 below the list price of $6,999. The great thing was that I paid NO TAX and FREE FAST SHIPPING. Saving the sales tax in CA is a BIG savings right there! They provided me order confirmation and FEDEX tracking information the same day.

I HIGHLY recommend them, as my experience couldn't have been more positive. I just don't want to break the rules of this forum, so I'll wait to hear back about whether or not it's OK to post links to businesses on this forum. I know we CAN'T talk price openly or I'd give you that information. But I got my NEW 52XBR5 for a LOT less than BB was willing to sell me their ONE YEAR OLD FLOOR DEMO, and that's WITHOUT TAX considerations.

Meanwhile CONGRATS to ALL XBR8 owners, as I realize I'm posting on the XBR8 owners thread about purchasing another model. If money were no object, I would have, of course, purchased the XBR8. However, my gut tells me that this technology will make great strides in the next couple of years with the price coming down to a reasonable level. So, I've chosen to wait and play "leap-frog" again. I agree that there was a big leap between the XBR2/3 models and the XBR4/5 (60Hz vs 120Hz, etc.) that one would feel bad having not waited another year to pull the trigger. But, I waited to see what SONY's new model year lineup would be, and I just didn't see any better choices OTHER than the XBR8 (which, with the economy, and my present job security etc., I cannot afford) my NEW XBR5 is such a GIANT leap over my five year old SONY 300lbs. 40" XBR800 CRT "Boat Anchor" that I'm VERY content for the time being. And to me, (strickly a personal opinion) the XBR6 just didn't have the display appeal. The plastic chrome speaker grilles at the bottom just looked "Hobby" to me. The set just doesn't have the striking image of what the XBR lineup should look like. The XBR8, on the other hand, is a VERY nice looking design.

If you or anyone else is still interested, I'll post a link to the online retailer's website, once I hear that it's within the AVS forum rules to do so.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Damn it....I had my purchasing down to the XBR6 and now that more people are posting impressions of the XBR8, I may have to reconsider....

I am a gamer, hardcore gamer and to me this is what the set must excel at. I currently own a Sony SXRD A2020 Rear Projection HDTV. I am wanting to get a new set, but not sure how much of an improvement I will see going with a Samsung, Xbr6 or Xbr8. I had settled almost on the XBR6, but am still waiting.

Reading the CNET review, the mention of input lag scarred me off. A few pages back (a while back) I had asked about gaming on the XBR8, at that time, many did not have one or did not game on it. My concern was mainly that I would have turn everything off to get no lag, even the benefit of the new tech in the XBR8. But reading above it looks like this is not a real issue.

So for those that have played games on the 8, what is your thoughts on lag, image compared to a XBR6 and what are your thoughts on my gaming compared to my SXRD?

Thanks for any feedback/input. My other holdout was that my SXRD is 60" and going to 52 was something I really did not want to do.

-Hawkmoon
Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 AM

Hawkmoon, XBR8 is indeed very good for gaming. After all Sony created PS3, so logically they should make the best TV for gaming. There is no noticeable lag even with Game mode off, though I'd suggest turning off every mode except LED backlight for optimal results. And, in my opinion, even on Game mode it's better then 950 in terms of PQ. Wii lags indeed, probably because of upscaling from 480p, but Game mode fixes it completely.

Another thing about EUROPEAN 950 (956). It doesn't have Motion LED Enchancer(?) mode that USA version apparently has. And instead of 2 Component In's it has 1. It also seems that recent Samsung update of 950 is for USA only.

I have checked MGS4 game on my friends XBR8 today, and was blown away (though game resolution is 720p). Almost 3d like image and no noticeable lag with LED on. MGS4 is good for checking blacks and contrast of a TV, especially the first Middle East level. XBR8 reproduces perfect blacks here without black crush. White/black border, no blooming at all. 10/10
Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Damn it....I had my purchasing down to the XBR6 and now that more people are posting impressions of the XBR8, I may have to reconsider....

I am a gamer, hardcore gamer and to me this is what the set must excel at. I currently own a Sony SXRD A2020 Rear Projection HDTV. I am wanting to get a new set, but not sure how much of an improvement I will see going with a Samsung, Xbr6 or Xbr8. I had settled almost on the XBR6, but am still waiting.

Reading the CNET review, the mention of input lag scarred me off. A few pages back (a while back) I had asked about gaming on the XBR8, at that time, many did not have one or did not game on it. My concern was mainly that I would have turn everything off to get no lag, even the benefit of the new tech in the XBR8. But reading above it looks like this is not a real issue.

So for those that have played games on the 8, what is your thoughts on lag, image compared to a XBR6 and what are your thoughts on my gaming compared to my SXRD?

Thanks for any feedback/input. My other holdout was that my SXRD is 60" and going to 52 was something I really did not want to do.

I recently spent about 3 hours in my local Sony Center playing many PS3 games and looking for lag. I used the Cnet settings with game mode off and local dimming on. I played Resistance, Tekken, Soul Calibre, Wipeout, Fracture and Super Stardust plus a few others. At no point could I detect any lag and I tried very hard.

The Colour, Contrast, blacks and motion on this set are great. I previously spent another few hours looking for blooming on Blu-Ray and HD satellite content and could not detect any. The only thing holding me back from getting the 46" was the talk of lag. Now I have tested this for myself I consider it a none issue. As soon as my local store gets them back in stock I will be purchasing one. A few people moan about the price but they can always buy a lower model, to me I think its worth the extra.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 AM

I am starting to think that Cnet didn't actually check XBR8 for input lag. They probably saw that it has Game mode and automatically thought that it has a bad input lag if they added this option. But that is 100% wrong. I am gonna check more games on both 950 and XBR8 soon. So far checked Resistance, Mototstorm, MGS4, GTA4, Guitar Hero, and Wipeout and DMC4. No lag on XBR8, and little lag on 950 for most games. BUT the lag is getting worse on 950 with Wipeout, Guitar Hero and DMC4. Playing DMC4 on 950 on DMD mode is suicide, if not on game mode. Sony did a great job making lagless LCD TV.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

^^ I've seen both numerous times and prefer the XBR myself.

+1

The Samsung has far too many cons for my eyes.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

where did you see the 950. I personally spent alot of hours examining both the 950 and xbr8 and thought the 950 was the winner. Looked sharper, brighter and the xbr8 even had flashlight problems. Also like so many people have been saying, the xbr8 is not worth the price it is asking.

Brightness has nothing to do with PQ.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you or anyone else is still interested, I'll post a link to the online retailer's website, once I hear that it's within the AVS forum rules to do so.

Thanks!

thanks for the reply and your added information/thought process.

i don't see the problem posting the information, it's done all the time. on the other hand ....

i tried to send you a Private Message but they are blocked to you for some reason, perhaps not enough posts. to avoid any problems, please PM me with the info if you would, especially since it was such a good buy and since you had such a positive experience with that dealer (that's always good information to know).

thanks. and happy viewing.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Brightness has nothing to do with PQ.

no kidding, just didnt like the pq on the xbr8. Saw it and thought where is the sharpness, where is the 3D effect. Also, I mean how can a $5K tv have flashlights.

love the 3D effect on the samsung, I dont notice any lag either.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

no kidding, just didnt like the pq on the xbr8. Saw it and thought where is the sharpness, where is the 3D effect. Also, I mean how can a $5K tv have flashlights.

love the 3D effect on the samsung, I dont notice any lag either.

Are the flashlights isolated incidents or a "product wide" problem?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw it both on the 46in and 55in at the sony store. I was like WTF....
Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I saw it both on the 46in and 55in at the sony store. I was like WTF....

What causes the flashlights?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Why would you use game mode that truly takes away the beauty of using your lcd to game. I hate game mode because the picture sucks. Once calibrated i use my own modes and looks twice as better than game mode. If the lag kills you that much stick to a plasma but the 950 and xbr 8 have hardly any lag using other modes than gaming...
Damn gears of war 2 look and play smooth on both sets...
Old 11-17-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wease View Post

Why would you use game mode that truly takes away the beauty of using your lcd to game. I hate game mode because the picture sucks. Once calibrated i use my own modes and looks twice as better than game mode. If the lag kills you that much stick to a plasma but the 950 and xbr 8 have hardly any lag using other modes than gaming...
Damn gears of war 2 look and play smooth on both sets...

A good way to find how much lag is to use the rock band 2 automatic test (with the guitar sensing the flashes. It's pretty cool IMO) and it tells you how much lag there is.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:15 PM

I was between the choice of 55a950 or 55XBR8.
Thanks all the posts here, I made the decision to buy the XBR8. Also there was a very good deal on it.
I got the 55 XBR8 last Saturday. I like it. My whole family were enjoyed it last night.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

thanks for the reply and your added information/thought process.

i don't see the problem posting the information, it's done all the time. on the other hand ....

i tried to send you a Private Message but they are blocked to you for some reason, perhaps not enough posts. to avoid any problems, please PM me with the info if you would, especially since it was such a good buy and since you had such a positive experience with that dealer (that's always good information to know).

thanks. and happy viewing.

TVbc

I had my PM mode turned off, as I generally try to keep my privacy, but I've added you and divashenko to my contact list.

I'll go ahead and post the website link here, and if I'm banned from the site... well, at least I got my TV aided by help from this forum. I'm just trying to return the favor. I guess the moderators can "nuke" this post if it's against the rules, and I'll sincerely apologize.

One last frame of thought. I believe that SONY has essentially given up on the CCFL backlight technology for any "real" future technological advancements. (Just like they did with the SXRD and Plasma) Instead, they are NOW concentrating their efforts on LED backlighting LCD panel technology, along with the super OLED technology. Thus, when they brought out the new 2008 model lineup, they made a couple of MINOR "spec sheet" upgrades to the XBR6, but put all of their future into the XBR8 Technology. NO doubt there is a lot of R&D money to re-coop, which probably explains the large price increase. I believe they kept the technology of the CCFL backlit sets (v,w and XBR6 series) "essentially" the same as last year with ONE MAJOR exception. They made those models LOOK CHEAP. They will be marketed to the second tier buyers. That plan will also help convince elite buyers to pay the extra cost for the XBR8 not only through marketing of the more advanced technology, but also through providing a set with much more elegant aesthetics. Think about it... How many people would have serious reservations about paying the extra money for the XBR8 IF the XBR6 looked just as "classy"? Why do you think they kept the "Cheap" look on the smaller XBR7s, but gave the 70 INCH version the "high-end" look of the XBR8?!!!

At least with my XBR5, I know that it was the BEST SONY had to offer just 3 months ago, and it was marketed to the elite buyers then. It has the true XBR aesthetic appeal, which does matter, and that piano black bezel (for the same cost of the flat black XBR4 bezel) also adds a bit more class IMHO.

OK, NOW FOR THE "AUTHORIZED SONY (and Samsung, etal) ONLINE DEALER.

Here is the link to their website:
http://www.hometheaterstore.com

TALK TO FRED. He was a very friendly guy. He knew his products, he did NOT try to sell me a bunch of extra warranty or extra cables, etc. He just said the unit would be on the FEDEX truck that afternoon, and it was! HE DOES WHAT HE SAYS HE WILL DO WITHOUT PROCRASTINATION! HE ALSO PROVIDES A 60 DAY PRICE MATCH TO ANY OTHER "AUTHORIZED SONY ONLINE RETAILER". He cannot price match some of the "scary unauthorized sites) like photo stores, etc.

The business is located in Houston, TX So, I suppose if you live in Texas, you may have to pay the sales tax. But, I live in CA and got mine NO TAX! FREE SHIPPING! 60 DAY PRICEMATCH! And, it was all over and done with in less than 3 days! It will be delivered by FEDEX Ground LIFTGATE. The driver will stay around until you open the box to make sure that nothing is cracked or scratched, etc. They are QUICK to open. The box is strapped with two bands around the entire box. Simply slide the straps off of the box, and then the BOTTOM of the TV sets on a small tray, and all you do is lift the outer cardboard box up and off the TV. Then, there it is in its' shining glory! The base is ALREADY mounted so it is ground stable and ready to set anywhere. If you plan to wallmount it, you will have to remove the stand.

Check the site out... I'm sure a lot of people already know about it. But, It's LEGIT'! Read the reveiws on the site as well. You can simply order online or call and talk to FRED for more details about the product or options, etc.

Have fun searching around.

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 46xbr8 46 Inch Triluminos Led Lcd Hdtv