post #5461 of 5547 Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post
Thanks for the reply Dan, but my lines are not vertical, they are horizontal. I also use the Cinema setting. I tried Custom anyway, and no change. See pictures a few posts up...5456.
Have you tried to do a power reset or factory reset of TV ? like describe here:
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...9,62766,62966/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5462 of 5547 Old 07-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have done power reset, but not a factory reset. I may give it a try. However, I had kind of gotten use to the idea that a new TV was in the near future.
post #5463 of 5547 Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdskuk View Post
Who here still owns the legendary Sony XBR8?
I have a kdl46xbr8 I absolutly love it. It is now in my bedroom and I have a much more basic kdl55nx720 in my living room for the bigger size and 3d.
post #5464 of 5547 Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is correct the cost was mind boggling and it must have sold accordingly so unfortunatly we never get this again. The closest I think is the new 65 inch flagship xbr 4k this year for 8k
post #5465 of 5547 Old 08-02-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been watching this thread since it's birth.....sadly, my 55XBR8 is dying. Vertical lines started showing up a few weeks ago. I turned off the the DRC so it is the same FBU board that people are reporting.......so it's terminal. Picture looks ok but the TV is a shadow of it's younger self. Looking to replace with a 65XBR850B.

If I call Sony, would they offer the 15% off possibly? I'd like to not pay Texas sales tax or full price of $3250.
post #5466 of 5547 Old 08-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Factory reset did not solve anything either. Everyone is talking of the vertical lines. No one has the horizontal lines like in my pictures above?
post #5467 of 5547 Old 08-04-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Factory reset did not solve anything either. Everyone is talking of the vertical lines. No one has the horizontal lines like in my pictures above?
I had this precise problem. Read this thread and feared the worst. Tech came out and confirmed malfunctioning panel. Replaced, reluctantly, with a HX950.

I still find it incredible that a company like Sony can designate a product as its flasgship, charge exorbitant prices for it, and then have it fail after a few years.

Very discouraging.

Best of luck.
post #5468 of 5547 Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShock71 View Post
I had this precise problem. Read this thread and feared the worst. Tech came out and confirmed malfunctioning panel. Replaced, reluctantly, with a HX950.

I still find it incredible that a company like Sony can designate a product as its flasgship, charge exorbitant prices for it, and then have it fail after a few years.

Very discouraging.

Best of luck.
Agreed, and although I got thousands of hours out of the set, over the 5 or 6 years, it is still disappointing. It's still watchable, but growing more annoying each day.

I don't plan on going flagship again, even though I didn't pay the initial price, it was still expensive. Were your horizontal lines more prominent than mine? What did you do with the set, just have them take it away when the new one came?
post #5469 of 5547 Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's been a little while since I had it replaced (year and a half or so), but your pics, particularly the motorcycle shots, are pretty much exactly what I remember.

Best Buy took it with them when they brought the new tv, though I am sure I could have kept it.
post #5470 of 5547 Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GShock71 View Post

Very discouraging.
Just be thankful you weren't involved with the whole SXRD green blob fiasco:

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/class-ac...-sxrd-problem/
post #5471 of 5547 Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have both the 55" and the 46" xbr8's. Both have the original firmware that came with the sets. Never bothered to update the firmware...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. No problems with either sets. Bought them in 2008.
post #5472 of 5547 Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSUSER005 View Post
I have both the 55" and the 46" xbr8's. Both have the original firmware that came with the sets. Never bothered to update the firmware...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. No problems with either sets. Bought them in 2008.
No firmware update for me either...and still...no good on the 55XBR8.

Meanwhile, the 52XBR4 soldiers on with no issues.

Last edited by SharpOne; 08-05-2014 at 07:33 PM.
post #5473 of 5547 Old 08-22-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Dan, but my lines are not vertical, they are horizontal. I also use the Cinema setting. I tried Custom anyway, and no change. See pictures a few posts up...5456.
I have the 46XBR8 which I bought in 2010. It is currently in the repair shop with two pairs of horizontal lines about six inches in length each. The repairman said the panel was defective on the day he first came out on the service call but now the shop is saying that they are going to replace two parts and if they do not fix the problem then the panel will have to be replaced. I bought the sony five year extended warranty when I purchased the set. I'm hoping the set can be successfully repaired.
post #5474 of 5547 Old 08-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecampbe View Post
I have the 46XBR8 which I bought in 2010. It is currently in the repair shop with two pairs of horizontal lines about six inches in length each. The repairman said the panel was defective on the day he first came out on the service call but now the shop is saying that they are going to replace two parts and if they do not fix the problem then the panel will have to be replaced. I bought the sony five year extended warranty when I purchased the set. I'm hoping the set can be successfully repaired.
Please keep us informed on how you come out. I also have the 46XBR8 but no problems yet.

99.5% Dark Matter
post #5475 of 5547 Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I bought a 9 gen pioneer plasma and set it next to my 4.5 years old 46X4500 in the dark. My pro-calibrated xbr8 was milky. Don't know if this was from the start or developed over time. not happy about that. The thing that i get out of it is that it is a good thing if one can compare TVs at the house.
post #5476 of 5547 Old 08-26-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post
Please keep us informed on how you come out. I also have the 46XBR8 but no problems yet.
Got a call from Sony warranty company today about my KDL-46XBR8 with the two sets of horizontal lines. They say the panel is bad and no replacement panel is available. Someone from their logistics department is supposed to contact me within the next two business days to discuss an alternative replacement. Will advise with more details after they contact me.
post #5477 of 5547 Old 08-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Got a call from Sony warranty company today about my KDL-46XBR8 with the two sets of horizontal lines. They say the panel is bad and no replacement panel is available. Someone from their logistics department is supposed to contact me within the next two business days to discuss an alternative replacement. Will advise with more details after they contact me.
Thank you.

99.5% Dark Matter
post #5478 of 5547 Old 08-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Can you tell me about the road to this point with Sony warranty?

Did you have an extended warranty, have to show the original receipt, or have the TV inspected in home/taken in for assessment?
post #5479 of 5547 Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Can you tell me about the road to this point with Sony warranty?

Did you have an extended warranty, have to show the original receipt, or have the TV inspected in home/taken in for assessment?
I purchased a five year extended warranty When I bought the TV. I contacted the warranty company and gave them my certificate number and they asked for the serial number and model number of the set. They had a local repair company come by my home to repair the set but they had to take it into the shop after they determined that the panel was bad. The warranty company is responsible for providing necessary repair parts to the repair shop and in my case they were not able to find a replacement panel. I'm not sure what they will offer as a replacement but I hope it is a comparable set.
post #5480 of 5547 Old 08-27-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
I purchased a five year extended warranty When I bought the TV. I contacted the warranty company and gave them my certificate number and they asked for the serial number and model number of the set. They had a local repair company come by my home to repair the set but they had to take it into the shop after they determined that the panel was bad. The warranty company is responsible for providing necessary repair parts to the repair shop and in my case they were not able to find a replacement panel. I'm not sure what they will offer as a replacement but I hope it is a comparable set.
They go by how much you pay for your television.
post #5481 of 5547 Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
That's exactly how it went for me, had a couple horizontal lines show up, called the number of the extended warranty guys...etc. In my case they said there was no comparable model and offered me around $1800. I paid $1999+tax for it, well, plus the price of the warranty from Sony. Forgot what that was, maybe $250-$300.

BTW, had to send them a copy of my receipt before being offerred any $/replacement.

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #5482 of 5547 Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Glad to see many of you have no issues with your XBR8s. I belonged to that group until a couple months ago. Currently my 55XBR8 has thin horizontal lines slowly working their way left to right across the entire screen. I've gotten thousands of hours usage out of this TV, but figured it would last longer. I think I've had it for over 6 years now. I'll probably keep it until it's completely unwatchable... getting there. What to replace it with...? Another Sony, try Samsung or Sharp? Any suggestions, I've been out of the TV game for quite a bit. By the way, the 52 XBR4 is still going strong, knock on wood, and it's at least a year older.
I have the exact same problem. My set is 5.5 years old. Every 6th horizontal line is dark on the left side of the screen and progressively returns to normal as you follow the line to the right. I Googled the problem and found one other person with the same symptoms. The corrective action suggested was to replace the panel. However, it dosen't appear to be a panel issue. Panel issues are usually the result of poor connections or failed drivers. This would result is red, green, blue or black lines the entire width (or height) of the screen. I talked to a tech at www.tristatemodule.com and he recommended replacing the TCON board. The TCON board comes pre-instlalled on a panel if you can afford one. The Sony part number for the TCON board is 185722312 and they want $177.73 for it. Tri-State doesn't have a cross-reference to the Sony Part number. Instead, they have two manufacturer's part numbers listed and you must look at your part to determine which to order. Their boards only cost about $75.

I removed the back and found that the CB1 board must be removed in order to get to the TCON board. One of the screws holding a heat sink in place that must be removed is stripped, so it appears that I will have to drill it out. Fun, right!

I will provide updates as the repair continues.

Last edited by jehill; 09-03-2014 at 12:09 AM.
post #5483 of 5547 Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM

Every 6th line dark to left normal to right

Here are a few photos:

Space shuttle launch illustrating how every 6th line is dark on the left and progressively returns to normal moving from left to right.

Close-up of left side of screen.

Close-up of right side of screen.

View of TV with rear cover removed. Notice the two heat sinks at the top middle. The top one is attached to the TCON board and the bottom one is attached to the CB1 board.

Close-up of the TCON and CB1 boards. Notice that the top lip of the CB1 shield overlaps the TCON shield. For that reason, the CB1 board must be removed first. Also, notice what looks like foil attached to the top of the TCON shield. It must be removed VERY carefully.

Last edited by jehill; 09-06-2014 at 06:10 PM.
post #5484 of 5547 Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Today I drilled out the screw that I couldn't remove from the left side of the heat sink attached to CB1 board shield and then removed the CB1 board shield as illustrated in the photo below. I then started removing the TCON board shield by removing the five screws that hold it in place. I had to drill out one of the screws. Then I discovered that I still couldn't remove the shield. That led me to removing the foil tape attached to the top of the shield. I very carefully worked it loose from one side to the other with my fingers. You can see where it was attached in the photo. Then I discovered that the reason I can't remove the shield is that the four connectors at the top connected to the panel and the two connectors at the bottom connected to the CB1 card must be removed. That brought me to a halt, because I am unsure how to remove the connectors. However, I was lucky and discovered that the board part number is behind the lower right tab of the shield. With an LED flashlight I was able to read the first 6 characters, 550HHC, which is all that was needed for me to determine which of the two TCON boards I need from www.tristatemodule.com. It cost me $73.45 + $11.49 shipping to order the part. Hopefully, customer service will be able to help me figure out how to remove the connectors. I put the parts removed back together so that the wife and I can watch TV until the new TCON board arrives.

Last edited by jehill; 09-03-2014 at 12:12 AM.
post #5485 of 5547 Old 09-06-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
That's exactly how it went for me, had a couple horizontal lines show up, called the number of the extended warranty guys...etc. In my case they said there was no comparable model and offered me around $1800. I paid $1999+tax for it, well, plus the price of the warranty from Sony. Forgot what that was, maybe $250-$300.

BTW, had to send them a copy of my receipt before being offerred any $/replacement.
The warranty company offered me a XBR-49X850B as a replacement or the return of $1699 which is what that tv is selling for on sale. The regular price is $1999.99. I countered that the set they offered did not have local dimming and asked them to consider a XBR-55X850A refurbished set. They declined and raised their offer to $1999.99 which is the price I paid for my refurbished KDL-46XBR8. I accepted the $1999.99 and ordered the refurbished XBR-55X850A from the Sony Outlet Store with another five year extended warranty. The price for the XBR-55X850A was $2069.99. I must have bought the last one they had in stock because it is no longer listed on the outlet store site. Anyone familiar with the performance of the XBR-55X850A?
post #5486 of 5547 Old 09-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Replacing the Sony XBR8 TCON board

The photo below shows the TCON board cover at the top and the CB1 board below it. If you look closely, you will see that the ribbon cables from the panel to the top of the TCON board and the two cables from the CB1 board to the bottom of the TCON board have been disconnected. It was apparent how to remove these cables after inspecting the new TCON board. Each ribbon cable connector has a black horizontal locking bar across it. You just pull the locking bar towards you with a finger nail and lift the ribbon cable up and out of the connector. The two connectors at the bottom of the TCON board pull out and swing down to get them out of the way. Thus, there is no need to remove the CB1 board, only it's shield.

The photo below shows what comes off in your hands when you remove the five screws that attach the TCON shield to the chassis. This was a big surprise. The TCON board drops out of the shield for easy replacement.

After swapping out the old TCON card for the new one and re-installing the removed parts, I plugged in the set and turned it on. To my dismay, the power relay clicked once, the Sony logo lit, the power relay clicked again and the Sony logo dimmed. There never was a picture. I re-installed the original TCON board and the set works as it did before. I took photos of the old and new boards while I had them both out to see what part numbers appeared.

Photo of the original board. The part number is on the small white tag at the lower left. It begins with S2353H.

Photo of the replacement board. The part number on it begins with S2353J.

Based on the information above, I conclude that I purchased the wrong TCON card. If you go to www.tristatemodule.com and search for kdl55xbr8, you will find the following two TCON cards listed:

LJ94-02353H Sony TV Module, T-Con board, 550HH6LV0.7,
KDL-55XBR8

Board #: 550HH6LV0.7

Part #: LJ94-02353H

LJ94-02353J Sony TV Module, T-Con board, 550HHC6LV0.7,
KDL-55XBR8

Board #: 550HHC6LV0.7

Part #: LJ94-02353J

I ordered the replacement TCON board based on the first seven characters of the board number that I could see on the original board without removing it from the shield, 550HHC6. I concluded that I needed the second card, since the first seven characters of the board number for the first board are 550HH6L, not 550HHC6. The original and replacement boards do have the same board number, 550HHC6LV0.7; however, they have different part numbers. The part number on the original board contains 2350H as does the Tri-State part number for the first board. Thus, I conclude that I ordered the wrong board. I placed an order for the first board yesterday. Oddly enough, it cost less, $55.60 + $11.49 shipping. I have the first card boxed up to ship back Monday. Unfortunately, I will have to pay a 20% restocking fee for my mistake.

Last edited by jehill; 09-06-2014 at 06:06 PM.
post #5487 of 5547 Old 09-10-2014, 09:51 AM

I received the new TCON board yesterday and installed it today. The board works, but does not correct the subject issue. I have a CB1 board on order now, part number A1557695A. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it corrects the issue.
post #5488 of 5547 Old 09-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a Sony KDL55XBR8 purchased new in 2008 for sale in the North Austin, Texas area.

It has vertical lines indicative of FBU board failure. When DRC is turned off, the lines go away completely.

Will sell for best offer but you have to come and pick it up. The picture is still nice and clear so you could watch it or you could part it out to help the surviving XBR8's still out there.

PM me with any interest.

p.s. It's missing the base stand but I will throw in a new Monoprice wall mount for free.

*****SOLD********

Last edited by cam308; Today at 06:32 AM. Reason: sold
post #5489 of 5547 Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 PM

I received the replacement CB1 board today and installed it. Unfortunately, it didn't correct the subject problem. I talked to the Tri-State tech again. He is convinced that the panel is bad. Apparently, the problem is caused by a board physically inside the panel assembly. This is bad news. It looks like I will have to live with the problem until I decide to replace my KDL55XBR8.

It turns out that I miss-answered a question that the tech asked me before he suggested that I replace the TCON board. He asked if the on screen menu was effected and I incorrectly answered no, suggesting that the problem didn't appear when the on screen menu was up. The tech wanted to conduct some tests on my set to confirm that the panel is bad, but I wasn't home. I will call him again next week and run through the tests.
post #5490 of 5547 Old 09-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehill View Post
I received the replacement CB1 board today and installed it. Unfortunately, it didn't correct the subject problem. I talked to the Tri-State tech again. He is convinced that the panel is bad. Apparently, the problem is caused by a board physically inside the panel assembly. This is bad news. It looks like I will have to live with the problem until I decide to replace my KDL55XBR8.

It turns out that I miss-answered a question that the tech asked me before he suggested that I replace the TCON board. He asked if the on screen menu was effected and I incorrectly answered no, suggesting that the problem didn't appear when the on screen menu was up. The tech wanted to conduct some tests on my set to confirm that the panel is bad, but I wasn't home. I will call him again next week and run through the tests.
Put that TV in the basement, bedroom, guestroom, or recycle bin... whichever one where the lines bother you the least, vow to never go flagship again at such a premium, buy the 65" Samsung 7150 for $2k or less, and resume quality TV viewing, gaming, etc. I did exactly that about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't looked back! I'll go 4K when the XBR4 dies, more 4K content is available, or price is lower. Good luck! Not meaning to sound snarky, but no regrets on the new move thus far. I have 25,000 plus hours on the XBR8, which was flawless until a few months ago. I was irritated at first, but no real complaints now...just probably won't go flagship again at such a differential premium.

Last edited by SharpOne; 09-12-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 46xbr8 46 Inch Triluminos Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr8 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page