Forum Jump: 

post #5491 of 5505 Old 09-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post
I was irritated at first, but no real complaints now...just probably won't go flagship again at such a differential premium.
I certainly agree with that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5505 Old 09-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehill View Post
I certainly agree with that!
I say this even though I was about $3,300 off the $8,500 MSRP, when I bought it. It was still waaay more than the tier or two below it. IMO, the premium LEDs are or soon will be the perfect balance between flagship 4K and cost.
post #5493 of 5505 Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 PM

My son's XBR52HX909 (5/2010) has a great picture, but it has no bulk to it. The XBR8 is a tank by comparison. I just can't get over how some tiny problem in the XBR8 panel is causing every 6th line to be dark on the left. Everything in the set is in perfect working order, except that one small part that we can't replace.

Last edited by jehill; 09-16-2014 at 06:30 PM.
post #5494 of 5505 Old 09-13-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
My son's XBR52HX909 (5/2010) has a great picture, but it has no bulk to it. The XBR8 is a tank by comparison. I just can't get over how some tiny problem in the XBR8 panel is causing every 5th line to be dark on the left. Everything in the set is in perfect working order, except that one small part that we can't replace.
What are you gonna do? Buy a new TV?
post #5495 of 5505 Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
What are you gonna do? Buy a new TV?
Not for the foreseeable future. It will be a tough sell for my wife, since she doesn't even notice the "problem". We sit about 13' 4" from the TV, making the "problem" less noticeable. Also, we have no place to store it in our small retirement home that doesn't include a basement.

Last edited by jehill; 09-16-2014 at 06:32 PM.
post #5496 of 5505 Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Every 6th line dark to left normal to right

There is new hope. Extreme_Boky's post in the following thread explains how to clean the contacts on the ribbon cables from the TCON board to the panel:
Sony KDL-46XBR4 Panel Problem
I'll try that next.

Here's a picture of the cables to refresh your memory:
post #5497 of 5505 Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 PM

Every 6th line dark to left normal to right

I'm done! I buttoned up my KDL55XBR8 after cleaning the contacts on the four ribbon cables from the panel to the TCON board and discovering that it made absolutely no difference!

Cleaning the contacts was pretty easy to do. First, I removed the end of each ribbon cable connected to the panel. Then, I removed the end connected to the TCON board. I used the technique described the link in my last post. Here are some photos:

Photo of two of the four ribbon cable sockets on the panel. They are the ones in focus at the top. They are identical to the sockets on the TCON board that are out-of-focus.

Photo of the contact side of one of the four ribbon cables. I cleaned the contacts on each end using the hard eraser on the end of a pencil. I moved the pencil eraser parallel to the conductors off each end. I rotated the pencil as I moved along. The eraser did get dirty, but the contacts looked clean to me before I started.

Last edited by jehill; 09-17-2014 at 10:00 AM.
post #5498 of 5505 Old 09-16-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Jehill, I had a problem with a different model Sony TV 2011 model KDL-55NX720. As a very long shot, see if the reset procedure that I used is of any help on your model TV.

I could not reset my TV unless I used the TV on off button located on the TV rather than on the remote control. The remote control power button cycles between the red LED with TV off and the Green LED with TV on. The power switch that is located on the TV did that same cycle, but it also has a third cycle with LED Green and LED Red both being off with the TV off.

I could not reset the TV unless the power button on the TV was set to the third position (TV off all LED off). Then I turned the TV master power switch to off. I unplugged all cables from the TV, Then I unplugged the TV and left it unplugged over night. Lucky for me, it worked fine the next morning.

Basically, the picture on the TV set was just acting goofy until I performed that specific reset procedure. Now the TV is back to normal.

Like I said, that is just a long shot.

Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720)

Last edited by J_Palmer_Cass; 09-16-2014 at 02:40 PM.
post #5499 of 5505 Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I received the replacement CB1 board today and installed it. Unfortunately, it didn't correct the subject problem. I talked to the Tri-State tech again. He is convinced that the panel is bad. Apparently, the problem is caused by a board physically inside the panel assembly. This is bad news. It looks like I will have to live with the problem until I decide to replace my KDL55XBR8.

It turns out that I miss-answered a question that the tech asked me before he suggested that I replace the TCON board. He asked if the on screen menu was effected and I incorrectly answered no, suggesting that the problem didn't appear when the on screen menu was up. The tech wanted to conduct some tests on my set to confirm that the panel is bad, but I wasn't home. I will call him again next week and run through the tests.
This should look familiar to you.

Panasonic LED TC-55LE54 / TC-L55E50 Horizontal Stripes

I have not found a solution, and I am replacing the set. I agree with the other poster, time for me to move on. If you find some magic to fix this, let me know.
post #5500 of 5505 Old 09-17-2014, 10:36 AM

J_Palmer_Cass: Unfortunately, my set doesn't have the same symptoms as yours. I tried something similar to your procedure. I pressed the power switch until there was no response from the remote (there is no response from the remote unless the TV is in standby). I then unplugged the TV for about a minute and plugged it back in and turned the TV back on with the remote. No change.

One thing in your procedure puzzles me. What do you mean by "the TV master power switch"?
post #5501 of 5505 Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye2 View Post
This should look familiar to you.

Panasonic LED TC-55LE54 / TC-L55E50 Horizontal Stripes

I have not found a solution, and I am replacing the set. I agree with the other poster, time for me to move on. If you find some magic to fix this, let me know.
Yes, the Sony kdl 46v5100 horizontal lines and power reset photos sure do look familiar! At this point, I am absolutely convinced that the problem is in the panel. The lines remain in the same location, regardless of the video displayed. For example, the picture size adjustments increase or decrease the picture size, but have no effect on the positions of the lines.

Last edited by jehill; 09-17-2014 at 10:46 AM.
post #5502 of 5505 Old 09-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Yes, the Sony kdl 46v5100 horizontal lines and power reset photos sure do look familiar! At this point, I am absolutely convinced that the problem is in the panel. The lines remain in the same location, regardless of the video displayed. For example, the picture size adjustments increase or decrease the picture size, but have no effect on the positions of the lines.
Yes, the same with mine, no change with the lines regardless of format, input etc. I'm guessing the panel itself too.

I'm grinding thru all of the display threads here on the forum and have been doing hands-on viewing at the stores, trying to find a replacement. Maybe it's an omen now that the 4k sets are arriving.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
post #5503 of 5505 Old 09-17-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
J_Palmer_Cass: Unfortunately, my set doesn't have the same symptoms as yours. I tried something similar to your procedure. I pressed the power switch until there was no response from the remote (there is no response from the remote unless the TV is in standby). I then unplugged the TV for about a minute and plugged it back in and turned the TV back on with the remote. No change.

One thing in your procedure puzzles me. What do you mean by "the TV master power switch"?

Jehill, the KDL-55NX720 has a master power rocker switch that turns the power off and on. In the off position, the set is dead. It is called the "energy savings switch" that is located with all of the switches on the TV side panel.

The momentary tv power switch located on the side of the TV cycles in three cycles as compared with two on the remote control power switch. The TV remote control will work when the TV is in any of the three cycle positions.

Go to index, energy savings switch.

https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL-NX720_imanual_EN.pdf

Anyhow, my TV did not correct itself by unplugging the TV for a minute or for an hour. The TV even remembered if I had the TV powered on or off when I unplugged it or if I turned the energy saver switch to off. I had to leave the TV unplugged overnight starting from the OFF position. I assume that the TV needed time to drain all of the voltage sources so the TV could reset the microprocessor (or whatever) for a clean reboot.

The following reset procedure did not work:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...9,62766,63292/

My procedure most likely not help you with your problem, but it is worth a shot.

Last edited by J_Palmer_Cass; 09-17-2014 at 05:02 PM.
post #5504 of 5505 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
The following reset procedure did not work:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...9,62766,63292/

My procedure most likely not help you with your problem, but it is worth a shot.
Allow me to comment on the procedures in the link based on my knowledge:

Performing a power reset: This procedure is the standard procedure to power cycle a component. The internal microprocessor performs what is known as a cold boot as opposed to a warm boot when you turn the power on from standby with the remote. I am confident that removing the cables like you did didn't help. It is best to do a cold boot with everything connected and powered up so that the TV or other device may configure itself in accordance with information received from the input sources.

Performing a factory reset: The same procedure applies to the KDL55XBR8. According to the service manual, it restores the User Controls and Channel Memory settings to the preset factory conditions. None of these settings has anything to do with the "every 6th line dark on left normal to right" issue. I have no desire to reset the User Controls. I never bothered to configure the Channel Memory settings, since I use a cable box.
post #5505 of 5505 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The power reset procedure as instructed in that Sony link did not repair the problem that I had with my TV. The overnight reset procedure that I mentioned corrected the problems that I had.

If that procedure did not work, I am not sure where I would have started troubleshooting. No trouble codes, and only the bottom 10% of the screen had a picture.

Lucky for me the TV works as new with the overnight reset.

I did a partial factory reset before my final overnight power reset, so I had to complete it once the TV was working again. The picture froze during the factory reset, so I could not complete it the first time I tried. I had to remember the procedure on how to access my wireless router from the TV. That took the most time. The Rovi program guide requires internet access, as does all forms of video streaming.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 46xbr8 46 Inch Triluminos Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr8 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page