Forum Jump: 

post #5491 of 5499 Old 09-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post
I was irritated at first, but no real complaints now...just probably won't go flagship again at such a differential premium.
I certainly agree with that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5499 Old 09-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehill View Post
I certainly agree with that!
I say this even though I was about $3,300 off the $8,500 MSRP, when I bought it. It was still waaay more than the tier or two below it. IMO, the premium LEDs are or soon will be the perfect balance between flagship 4K and cost.
post #5493 of 5499 Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 PM

My son's XBR52HX909 (5/2010) has a great picture, but it has no bulk to it. The XBR8 is a tank by comparison. I just can't get over how some tiny problem in the XBR8 panel is causing every 5th line to be dark on the left. Everything in the set is in perfect working order, except that one small part that we can't replace.
post #5494 of 5499 Old 09-13-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
My son's XBR52HX909 (5/2010) has a great picture, but it has no bulk to it. The XBR8 is a tank by comparison. I just can't get over how some tiny problem in the XBR8 panel is causing every 5th line to be dark on the left. Everything in the set is in perfect working order, except that one small part that we can't replace.
What are you gonna do? Buy a new TV?
post #5495 of 5499 Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
What are you gonna do? Buy a new TV?
Not for the foreseeable future. It will be a tough sell for my wife, since she doesn't even notice the "problem". We sit about 16' from the TV, making the "problem" less noticeable. Also, we have no place to store it in our small retirement home that doesn't include a basement.
post #5496 of 5499 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Every 6th line dark to left normal to right

There is new hope. Extreme_Boky's post in the following thread explains how to clean the contacts on the ribbon cables from the TCON board to the panel:
Sony KDL-46XBR4 Panel Problem
I'll try that next.

Here's a picture of the cables to refresh your memory:
post #5497 of 5499 Old Today, 01:48 PM

Every 6th line dark to left normal to right

I'm done! I buttoned up my KDL55XBR8 after cleaning the contacts on the four ribbon cables from the panel to the TCON board and discovering that it made absolutely no difference!

Cleaning the contacts was pretty easy to do. First, I removed the end of each ribbon cable connected to the panel. Then, I removed the end connected to the TCON board. I used the technique described the link in my last post. Here are some photos:

Photo of two of the four ribbon cable sockets on the panel. They are the ones in focus at the top. They are identical to the sockets on the TCON board that are out-of-focus.

Photo of the contact side of one of the four ribbon cables. I cleaned the contacts on each end using the hard eraser on the end of a pencil. I moved the pencil eraser parallel to the conductors off each end. I rotated the pencil as I moved along. The eraser did get dirty, but the contacts looked clean to me before I started.
post #5498 of 5499 Old Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Jehill, I had a problem with a different model Sony TV 2011 model KDL-55NX720. As a very long shot, see if the reset procedure that I used is of any help on your model TV.

I could not reset my TV unless I used the TV on off button located on the TV rather than on the remote control. The remote control power button cycles between the red LED with TV off and the Green LED with TV on. The power switch that is located on the TV did that same cycle, but it also has a third cycle with LED Green and LED Red both being off with the TV off.

I could not reset the TV unless the power button on the TV was set to the third position (TV off all LED off). Then I turned the TV master power switch to off. I unplugged all cables from the TV, Then I unplugged the TV and left it unplugged over night. Lucky for me, it worked fine the next morning.

Basically, the picture on the TV set was just acting goofy until I performed that specific reset procedure. Now the TV is back to normal.

Like I said, that is just a long shot.

Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720)

Last edited by J_Palmer_Cass; Today at 02:40 PM.
post #5499 of 5499 Old Today, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I received the replacement CB1 board today and installed it. Unfortunately, it didn't correct the subject problem. I talked to the Tri-State tech again. He is convinced that the panel is bad. Apparently, the problem is caused by a board physically inside the panel assembly. This is bad news. It looks like I will have to live with the problem until I decide to replace my KDL55XBR8.

It turns out that I miss-answered a question that the tech asked me before he suggested that I replace the TCON board. He asked if the on screen menu was effected and I incorrectly answered no, suggesting that the problem didn't appear when the on screen menu was up. The tech wanted to conduct some tests on my set to confirm that the panel is bad, but I wasn't home. I will call him again next week and run through the tests.
This should look familiar to you.

Panasonic LED TC-55LE54 / TC-L55E50 Horizontal Stripes

I have not found a solution, and I am replacing the set. I agree with the other poster, time for me to move on. If you find some magic to fix this, let me know.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 46xbr8 46 Inch Triluminos Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr8 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page