Official Sony XBR8 Series Owner's Thread - Page 186 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
How do you like your new TV?

My KDL-55NX720 has started to act up again. Picture starts out good, then slowly degrades with skipped frames. After a while, it goes down to about 1 frame every two seconds, and then locks up on one frame or maybe black.

I ordered the main board BATL that has the X-reality engine on it. The service manual suggests that may be the problem board. No LED trouble codes.
The picture is gorgeous on the new set. However, I do see slight vertical banding on a white screen. It's brought to your attention when the camera pans a white object. See my posts starting on Official Sony KDL-XXW850B thread for more details.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that the new BATL board solves your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehill View Post
The picture is gorgeous on the new set. However, I do see slight vertical banding on a white screen. It's brought to your attention when the camera pans a white object. See my posts starting on Official Sony KDL-XXW850B thread for more details.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that the new BATL board solves your problem.

The BATL board that I purchased was the only one that I could find. It was the last new unit available at Tristate, and everyone else listed the BATL board as out of stock. I panicked and bought the board while I could still get one.

I also have to order a TCON board while they are still available. There are two versions for my TV, so I have to wait until I take the TV apart to find out the exact number (suffix F or H).

There is a third board called the LED driver board. That board also has a few numbers and is hard to find.

If I get the TV working I may just collect the three boards and keep them as spares. The cost for all three boards will be under $200.

I suspect that the TCOM board may be bad. The LED brightness is flashing and is too bright. Sort of a white haze over everything. Kind of hard to tell what board is bad when everything is interconnected to the extent that they are these days. Connections go from BATL to TCON to LD board to LCD Panel.

These TV sets are kind of hard to take apart. You have to place them face down on a table because the stand is attached to the rear cover. The Opticontrast LCD panel has a surface coating on Gorilla glass, so I have to use extreme care in handling this TV.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:59 PM

It's unfortunate that you have lay the set down. It was easy to work on my XBR8. BTW, you can return uneeded boards to Tristate for a 20% restocking fee. I am still waiting for my 80% refund for three boards that I didn't need!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I finally got an offer for the XBR8 replacement from Sony Canada.
They are offering a $1225 credit towards the purchase of a new set.
I'm leaning towards the 70" X850B.
I figure now's the time to move up to bigger and 4K.

Anybody have any opinion?

Danny
Old 11-06-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyss View Post
Well I finally got an offer for the XBR8 replacement from Sony Canada.
They are offering a $1225 credit towards the purchase of a new set.
I'm leaning towards the 70" X850B.
I figure now's the time to move up to bigger and 4K.

Anybody have any opinion?

Danny
That's a pretty high credit. I only got a credit of $75. I appears that I got ripped off. The XBR-70X850B looks pretty good to me.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:23 AM

Update,

I went to see the X850 70" and the x900 55" (no 65" in store) at the local Sony Store.
We did look at a 65" and the size difference with a 70" is noticeable.
Can't beat the size of a 70". So we're going with the 70X850B.
The store is giving me a $200 credit on a PS4!
And after calling Sony Support, the upped their offer from $1225 to $1450.
So as of now, I get a $1225 credit and a free PS4!
I still have to get something more out of the store. The store manager and the saleman used to work with the salesman I always used to deal with all these years at the old Sony Store.
So the choice is made but the deal is not done yet.

Danny
Old 11-07-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyss View Post
Update,

I went to see the X850 70" and the x900 55" (no 65" in store) at the local Sony Store.
We did look at a 65" and the size difference with a 70" is noticeable.
Can't beat the size of a 70". So we're going with the 70X850B.
The store is giving me a $200 credit on a PS4!
And after calling Sony Support, the upped their offer from $1225 to $1450.
So as of now, I get a $1225 credit and a free PS4!
I still have to get something more out of the store. The store manager and the saleman used to work with the salesman I always used to deal with all these years at the old Sony Store.
So the choice is made but the deal is not done yet.

Danny

Danny,

Was yours on extended warranty? Or is this a good-will credit?

Rick
Old 11-08-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytown rick View Post
Danny,

Was yours on extended warranty? Or is this a good-will credit?

Rick
It was under a loyalty program. I never take extended warranties.

Danny
Old 12-17-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So it looks like my kdl-55xbr8 has bit the dust. The standby light blinks 13 times, and I got it looked at and they said the service menu is showing errors for the panel. They reset the error codes and it works right now, but they said it can happen again at any time. They said they will show me how to clear the codes when it happens again, but I don't really want a problematic TV for my main viewing TV, so I'm pretty sure it's headed for the dump. I plan to scavenge the boards out of it first though.

I had the extended warranty on the set, and it failed 3 weeks out of warranty, and Sony offered me a store credit of $750 which was nice of them even though the warranty had ended, but I'm not sure I want to drop another $4,000 on a Sony product.

Does anyone have an xbr8 with a good panel that they want to sell? lol
Old 01-05-2015, 01:35 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustito View Post
OK - When I turn the TV on after being off all night I hear no relay click and no click shortly after turning TV off. I have been reading that this means it is not going into the proper stand-by or off mode and using additional power. Can someone please tell me how to fix this? I am using FIOS box and HDMI from box to TV. Not using TV guide set-up.

Thanks for any help,
Rustito

That post is almost five years old, but the same thing just happened to my 46" xbr8. I finally had to do a "factory reset" just as Rustito did to fix his five years ago. Everything is now back to normal. I am posting this just in case it helps someone else.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThiele View Post
Just making a few posts to get my count up so I can answer a PM. Thanks for the understanding.
There is a test forum where you can post junk.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/46-post-testing-area/

--------------------------
SVS PB-1000 for sale
Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG333 View Post
So it looks like my kdl-55xbr8 has bit the dust. The standby light blinks 13 times, and I got it looked at and they said the service menu is showing errors for the panel. They reset the error codes and it works right now, but they said it can happen again at any time. They said they will show me how to clear the codes when it happens again, but I don't really want a problematic TV for my main viewing TV, so I'm pretty sure it's headed for the dump. I plan to scavenge the boards out of it first though.

I had the extended warranty on the set, and it failed 3 weeks out of warranty, and Sony offered me a store credit of $750 which was nice of them even though the warranty had ended, but I'm not sure I want to drop another $4,000 on a Sony product.

If you scavenge the boards, I would be interested in the FBU board.

Thanks

S
Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smikec View Post
If you scavenge the boards, I would be interested in the FBU board.

Thanks

S
I can't send you a pm because of my post count, but if you post up your email address, I'll send you an email.

Paul
Old 01-21-2015, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I can't send you a pm because of my post count, but if you post up your email address, I'll send you an email.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

pale pony at shaw dot ca (no spaces)

S
Old 01-28-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have one that is like new- low hours stored in closet for a rainy day that I would let go for $2,750.00

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
I have one that is like new- low hours stored in closet for a rainy day that I would let go for $2,750.00
Thanks, but I bought a crappy Sony to tide me over now until I can afford a nice set again. I bought a demo unit from a Sony store that was closing, a KDL60W630B for $900. With the Sony credit for $750 and with warranty and taxes, it cost me about $530. Not bad for a 60".
Old 05-22-2015, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A little bump as i need to decide quickly

I have a chance to get 46" XBR8 VERY cheaply and I have to decide today, so I don't have time to read the whole thread (will do that later).

I need a quick recap of pros and cons of this nice tv if some of you guys have time.

I see that there was still a problem with uniformity at that time, was it only slight or really bad and deal breaker level? I won't be able to choose from a few, there's only one. I hope it's good...

I'll use it mostly for PS4 and HD movies.

I heared the input lag is ok...any opinions on that? That's very important to me, but I'm fine with up to ~30ms.

And overall, how does it compare with todays tvs?

Thanx a lot

Last edited by Ryko1000; 05-22-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 AM

I had a KDL-55XBR8 for six years until the panel failed. No uniformity issues with this set. Performance was flawless until the end of six years when suddenly every 6th line was missing. A couple of weeks later every 3rd line was missing. This was unacceptable, since the vertical resolution was reduced from 1080 to 720 lines. It looked like SD.

I never heard of vertical or radial banding until after I purchased a KDL-60W850B replacement for $1300.

If the display is good on the KDL-46XBR8 that you are considering, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing it.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Input lag on the 55" XBR8 in game mode using a Leo Bodnar tester is 36.7ms for the middle bar, -/+ 3.5 ms for the top and bottom readings. The 46" model should be similar.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanx a lot
Old Today, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Everyone. I am a longtime audiophile and Sony fanatic.

In full candor, I am re-posting this message from the general forum to better my information gathering.

I don't buy the argument that you have always spend for new in box televisions especially when old technology from SONY still destroys, in my subjective picture balance opinion, things costing many times as much today. I am not referring to the 4K sets. I am referring to 1080P with HDMI. I loved the XBR 9 but had heard about the "legendary" KDL-55XBR8. Any help from engineers or owners with my questions greatly appreciated:

Does the TV have major failure problems on average after a set period or does it depend on use hours?

If there is a failure such as the video processor circuit board are they tough to install and overly expensive even on ebay?

I was told that their Tri-Luminos technology was ahead of it's time in 2008 that Sony had to drop it for the XPR 9 due to cost and then re-release that technology are with the new 4K sets, true?

Is it still HDMI state of the art for DVD and 1080P Blu-Ray outside of the mega projectors or in the sub $1000 range today?

Can it really do 1080P for Blu-Ray quality in the sense of what you find on the shelf from Bravia as of this date? Quality?

The very first Sony Plasma's (the $5 and $10K models) are the blacks still better or the picture overall better and which model is a fair comparison?

How would you say the picture quality is comparing the last CRT's made? (KD-34XBR960 or KD-34XBR970)

Thank you!

Ian M. Gordon
CT Audio Society

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 46xbr8 46 Inch Triluminos Led Lcd Hdtv