Official Sony XBR8 Series Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5579 Old 11-19-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Yeah, even though the TV has been out for a month now, there are still not even solid info on it for everyone. cNet is the only site to review the site & gave solid no numbers, pictures or graphs to back them up.

Check out my above post (#534). Guide to Home Theater has a new, in-depth review of the 55xbr8. It is actually part of a shoot-out comparing the pro-111fd, ln55a950, kdl-55xbr8 and a lower end Panny. The shoot-out will be in their sister publication, Home Theater Magazine in February.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5579 Old 11-19-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/fl...55xbr8_lcd_tv/

Here's the latest in-depth review of the 55xbr8. Pioneer Elite > xbr8 > a950

Thanks for the link Mikazaru. The review is in depth.

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #543 of 5579 Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Right? We lurkers and fence sitters always appreciate those sorts of things so keep 'em coming!

OK, here you are. Any requests?
LL
LL
LL
post #544 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Yeah, even though the TV has been out for a month now, there are still not even solid info on it for everyone. cNet is the only site to review the site & gave solid no numbers, pictures or graphs to back them up.

is this ^^^ a typo ? because like all cnet reviews it has a bunch of 'numbers' in their Geek Box and power consumption Juice Box at the end of the review, which are useful if you know what they mean (i'm starting to learn) and if you use them to compare against other sets. (although the graphs etc in the ultimateav site are prettier)
from cnet xbr8 review
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...l?tag=txt;page
Quote:

Geek boxTEST RESULT SCORE
Before color temp (20/80) 6666/6956 Average
After color temp 6429/6494 Good
Before grayscale variation +/- 389 Average
After grayscale variation +/- 24 Good
Color of red (x/y) 0.639/0.332 Good
Color of green 0.295/0.601 Good
Color of blue 0.147/0.063 Good
Overscan 0.0% Good
Defeatable edge enhancement Y Good
480i 2:3 pull-down, 24 fps Pass Good
1080i video resolution Pass Good
1080i film resolution Fail Poor

Juice boxSony KDL-55XBR8 Picture settings
Default Calibrated Power Save
Picture on (watts) 239.83 139.88 165.85
Picture on (watts/sq. inch) 0.19 0.11 0.13
Standby (watts) 0 0 0
Cost per year $74.23 $43.30 $51.33

Score (considering size) Good
Score (overall) Average

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #545 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/fl...55xbr8_lcd_tv/

Here's the latest in-depth review of the 55xbr8. Pioneer Elite > xbr8 > a950

It measured up quite nicely post calibration. Shame there's no secondary colour controls in its CMS.
post #546 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticseer View Post

Hi Guys

Received my first response. She is putting this in the right hands and some one will be contacting me shortly. She apologized for this and asked for my place of purchase and date. I have provided this info and am awaiting a reply.

Hi Guys

Well the district Manager is going to contact me today and discuss the situation. I will keep you guys updated. Things have changed a bit. Sony Style advised me last night that they never intended not to replace my panel. They just want to give it 3 months to see if it goes away or not. If after 3 months it is still there they will replace it.

It still bothers me about the fishy 20 day thing and this is why I still want to speak with the district manager because if they will swap it I think that is the best bet.

I am new to LCD tech so maybe I should not worry about this but the fact is I never thought I would be having a dead or stuck pixel (not 100% sure now) before 30 days.

Well we will see what the Manager has to say and I will update you guys as soon as I know.

I would like some feedback. It is in the right middle near the bezel and really is hard to see. Should I really worry about this? I would hate to get a different one and have more issues. I am willing to wait but I don't want to get scammed in 3 months because I am afraid they could change there mind.
post #547 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Camper View Post

First off, about your dead pixel, it seems it is stuck with blue and red subpixels activated, which results in pink.

Black dead pixels are usually not noticeable from a distance. Colored ones (especially white, green, yellow, pink, cyan) can be more distracting. Actually on a new screen I have seen a "dead" black pixel turn into a pink or cyan pixel, I guess this is what happened when your screen was illuminated. Anyway, the service guy cannot be blamed for that because this pixel was stuck already, and it would have turned pink sooner or later (in the first hours of use).

Now it is important to consider that most LCD screens do show defects such as dead pixels and/or clouding when displaying a black screen. Most users do not notice these defects. Back into the CRT days, defects were different but regarded important picture characteristics nonetheless, such as convergence, screen uniformity, geometry ... Depending on your screen issues, it is important to decide whether you can live with it: e.g. if you get a replacement, it might be a dead-pixel free unit but with clouding issues. It also depends on the placement of the dead pixel, and whether it is actually noticeable on regular use or not. That's why the tech guy was instructed to tell you to give it a try for 3 month: the dead pixel will not be fixed overtime, but you may forget about it entirely. It is 1 in 2 millions

Some retailers offer a zero dead-pixel warranty policy, but it is usually expensive!

Now here is my question: are stuck/dead pixels common on XBR8s? Given the high price, I expected the quality control on XBR8s to be better than on cheaper series

I hope it is just stuck. I am sure it is a coincidence that the pixel went when the tech was there. I just thought it was strange because I had used the set for 23 days and it was fine. Then when the tech came the pixel went.

That is something I was thinking. I would hate to get a replacement with more issues then be stuck with it.

I am waiting for the Managers call to see how to proceed from here. I am ready to play the waiting game but want to be sure that is the right choice.
post #548 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Wow, wouldn't exactly call the above a glowing review, even though it sums up by stating it's ONE of the "finest televisions money can buy today".

Still, it seemed they were badgering the thing around at every turn: "pretty bad" moire in places, greenish tint compared to other top-end sets, paler skin tones, loss of stars on space scenes that were revealed on the pioneer, etc.

I wanted (and still do) to jump from my 46" XBR4 to a 52" or 55", but this in-depth review pretty much confirms what my own first impression of the set was: great, but simply not worth the exponential price jump. Fact is, I can spend half (or less!) the money to have many of the same problems this set seems to exhibit. Of course I'm not saying the cheaper tv will reach the performance peaks of this unit, but a guy like me (financially speaking) simply can't dole out twice the price for a marginal increase in quality.

Now, I'll wait for the XBR7 and make my decision between it and the 6. Maybe two more years or so and guys like me will be able to enjoy comparable performance!

Meanwhile, I'll probably "just" end up spending 3-$4,000!

Good luck to you new owners with this great television.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #549 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

Hi Guys

Well the district Manager is going to contact me today and discuss the situation. I will keep you guys updated. Things have changed a bit. Sony Style advised me last night that they never intended not to replace my panel. They just want to give it 3 months to see if it goes away or not. If after 3 months it is still there they will replace it.

It still bothers me about the fishy 20 day thing and this is why I still want to speak with the district manager because if they will swap it I think that is the best bet.

I am new to LCD tech so maybe I should not worry about this but the fact is I never thought I would be having a dead or stuck pixel (not 100% sure now) before 30 days.

Well we will see what the Manager has to say and I will update you guys as soon as I know.

I would like some feedback. It is in the right middle near the bezel and really is hard to see. Should I really worry about this? I would hate to get a different one and have more issues. I am willing to wait but I don't want to get scammed in 3 months because I am afraid they could change there mind.

Wow. "Let's just see if it goes away."

Give me a *ucking break. This is a $7000 television, not an ipod. People throw down less for automobiles. You didn't pay for a tv that will be defective for at least 3 months!

Even if it does (magically "return to life"), tell him you replace your TV every 2years, so the way you see it, they cut into 12.5% of your viewing time, so you'll also take an $875 refund AND a new set!

Ridiculous. The set gets exchanged right now or you get this "90 day" malarkey in writing. Simple as that.

Just the way I see it anyway, good luck.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #550 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Wow. "Let's just see if it goes away."

Give me a *ucking break. This is a $7000 television, not an ipod. People throw down less for automobiles. You didn't pay for a tv that will be defective for at least 3 months!

Even if it does (magically "return to life"), tell him you replace your TV every 2years, so the way you see it, they cut into 12.5% of your viewing time, so you'll also take an $875 refund AND a new set!

Ridiculous. The set gets exchanged right now or you get this "90 day" malarkey in writing. Simple as that.

Just the way I see it anyway, good luck.

James

Hi James

Thank you for your input. This is what I was thinking as well but I never thought of the refund. You raise a very good point because I do replace my stuff a lot and never looked at it that way.

If I do accept the 90 day thing your totally right I need it in writing. Word of mouth is not good enough today.

I also could not believe there statement "Lets see if it will go away" WOW indeed
post #551 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi James

Thank you for your input. This is what I was thinking as well but I never thought of the refund. You raise a very good point because I do replace my stuff a lot and never looked at it that way.

If I do accept the 90 day thing your totally right I need it in writing. Word of mouth is not good enough today.

I also could not believe there statement "Lets see if it will go away" WOW indeed

Maybe after 89 days, you would forget all about the stuck (dead or whatever wrong with it) pixel so they don't have to take back your old tv and give you a new one!

Go 24
post #552 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

Maybe after 89 days, you would forget all about the stuck (dead or whatever wrong with it) pixel so they don't have to take back your old tv and give you a new one!

I am sure they are just trying to push me the 8 days I have left and this is why I don't think I am going to let this go so easily.

I just hope the Manager gives me a deal or exchange or something. I don't mind keeping the unit because it is a huge pain to get it moved but I also don't want a defective TV.
post #553 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It is a tricky decision. No one wants to return 3 or 4 sets trying to win the lottery on the 1 in 10 that might be close to perfect. With slight clouding, 1 pixel, a flashlight, maybe bezel scratches. There just is no guarantee that the replacement is better than what you have.

There is a chance that the pixel was acting up since new, but until the tech put up a uniform test screen it then became visible, and now you are aware of it, you can find it on certain media type.

Take a look at your set as an overall package, and if it has enough to bother you, replace it for sure. But if it is what most would consider good, well it gets risky. Does your current set have any clouding? My sony 24" 1980x1200 lcd monitor has a fairly bad flash in upper left and 1 stuck on pixel right in the middle. It is 3 years old now. was 1300 new, and after 2.75 of those years this pixel is back to normal. lol. Just left with a cloud (only visible on the windows startup screen really though)

Hope all goes well.
post #554 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree -- get the 90 day exchange period in writing.

While they *may* throw in a gift card for your trouble, it is unlikely they will discount the set. mastermaybe was making a tongue-in-cheek comment with the "replace my TV every two years." That may be true for a $200 cell phone, but I don't think Sony will buy it for a $7,000 TV.
post #555 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Mastermaybe,

I feel as though the review was very positive. I agree with every facet of their review. The only thing I never see reviewers mention are things like mura, and or flashlighting. I did see both on this display, although the mura wasn't a problem at all imo (unless you move extremely off center). The flashlighting on the other hand, was annoying, as most of the content I view is 2.35:1.

IMO, there is no comparison between this display, and the Samsung. The Samsung is plagued with issues. Not to mention, I see a LOT of black crush, and haloing on the Samsung. The corss talk is so bad, that the black bars on letterboxed movies are a glowing blue during a bright scene.

To the owners, there is something I haven't seen anyone mention. I have spent a lot of time with this set, and one of things that I noticed, is this rippling effect in dark scenes. It looks a lot like when you throw a pebble into a pond of still water. I can see this on the entire screen. Has anyone seen this?

In the end, I value PQ very highly. I am not talking about brightness, sharpness (edge enhancement), or "pop" (extremely overly saturated color points). To me, the Sony fits the bill quite nicely, and the price is worth the cost of admission to me over the Samsung (If I needed an LCD).
post #556 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw the 46xbr8 and right away I saw flashlighting. Have mentioned it many times in this thread
post #557 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 AM

I've had the 46XBR8 for almost 2 weeks now.

Only comment I would add is that in comparison to my 40XBR1, the screen is semi-matte as opposed to the XBR1's completely matte screen.

To me, as great and vibrant an image as is produced by the XBR8, it feels a bit more like I'm seeing the image thru a window than I do with the XBR1.

Has anyone else noticed this?
post #558 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Meanwhile, I'll probably "just" end up spending 3-$4,000!

so you see..sony's marketing and pricing strategy is a work of art.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #559 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Hi Guys

Great News Everyone!!

I was just contacted by the sales agent and he apologized and said that I can exchange the set if I like but if this one has any issues I am stuck with going through the services ropes.

I am once again very happy with Sony!

I am concerned about this clouding you guys have been mentioning. I am not sure what that is and don't want to exchange it for that issue.

I have nothing to loose other than that.

Can you describe clouding?

Thanks
post #560 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

so you see..sony's marketing and pricing strategy is a work of art.

TVbc

YUP, SONY/PIONEER ARE ADAMANT TO KEEP COMPANY WITH CIRCUIT CITY TO DOOM HELL OF 3 BIG AUTOS IMHO!

Wait Vizio announced a 55 inch set with 120hz 1080p for $2k, where do they get their glass lol
post #561 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

From MyHDTVChoice.com:

"Almost all LCD owners will notice some degree of clouding effect on their HDTVs during dark or completely black scenes. What is the clouding effect? It’s a varying degree of brightness visible across the screen. It can be caused by different sources, most often from uneven backlighting or flaws in the LCD’s matrix of thin-film transistors. Clouding is most noticeable when a single dark color is shown on the screen, eg, black or dark blue. Other terms for the effect are backlight bleed, flashlight effect, cloud effect, and mura or the mura effect. Mura is a Japanese word meaning an unevenness, blemish, or inconsistency. The clouding effect is generally limited to LCDs because plasmas have a different back light technology."
post #562 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post

From MyHDTVChoice.com:

"Almost all LCD owners will notice some degree of clouding effect on their HDTVs during dark or completely black scenes. What is the clouding effect? It’s a varying degree of brightness visible across the screen. It can be caused by different sources, most often from uneven backlighting or flaws in the LCD’s matrix of thin-film transistors. Clouding is most noticeable when a single dark color is shown on the screen, eg, black or dark blue. Other terms for the effect are backlight bleed, flashlight effect, cloud effect, and mura or the mura effect. Mura is a Japanese word meaning an unevenness, blemish, or inconsistency. The clouding effect is generally limited to LCDs because plasmas have a different back light technology."

Thank you for the info.
post #563 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no such thing as a perfect TV, computer, car or woman. We choose the qualties that are most important to us (and what we can afford). The good should definitely outweigh the bad.

As videophiles, computer geeks, auto enthusiasts or Casanova's, we are very critical of what we "purchase"

However, sometimes it is more pleasing to attempt to be less anal and just appreciate what you have, instead of looking for faults. If you don't know what "flashlighting" or "clouding" is, maybe that's a good thing!

Enjoy your XBR8. There is certainly something better down the road, and for less money; but hey, we have the TV today and are enjoying it now!
post #564 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I think this may be related to settings.

Each of the reviews I've read that offer settings have suggested setting the XBR8 to "full pixel." However, when I do that I notice definite flashlighting. Setting it to "normal" removes the issue.

This is why I am waiting until my set has been fully calibrated by umr until I post a review.
post #565 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is why I am waiting until my set has been fully calibrated by umr until I post a review.

is he recommending that you run the set on Vivid for 100-200 hours before calibration, as i've read that some calibrators apparently do?

thanks

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #566 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

is he recommending that you run the set on Vivid for 100-200 hours before calibration, as i've read that some calibrators apparently do?

thanks

TVbc

No. He has not made any such recommendation.
post #567 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

I saw the 46xbr8 and right away I saw flashlighting. Have mentioned it many times in this thread

Yes Slumpey. I did mention that it was very obvious to me when I viewed the Sony. I will say though, that the Sony has a lot of things going for it. The Samsung, while be a good display, is just plagued with the typical LED based flaws. I see virtually very little improvement over the 81.

To me, I could live with some of the issues the Sony exhibits. The Samsung, I can not.

P.S. My points are completely unbiased, as I do not own either, but I stand by what I said. If I had to choose, the Sony is a no brainer.
post #568 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

OK, here you are. Any requests?

What size is your XBR8?
post #569 of 5579 Old 11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame55 View Post

what size is your xbr8?

46"
post #570 of 5579 Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Great News Everyone!!

I was just contacted by the sales agent and he apologized and said that I can exchange the set if I like but if this one has any issues I am stuck with going through the services ropes.

I am once again very happy with Sony!

I am concerned about this clouding you guys have been mentioning. I am not sure what that is and don't want to exchange it for that issue.

I have nothing to loose other than that.

Thanks

Good Morning Fellow XBR8 Owners

I went in last night and inspected a brand new one. Great news is there are no dead or stuck pixels. I am swapping it out after work tonight.

I did notice what seems to be a small mark at the very top of the TV around the power button but I am not going to let this bother me because as you guys mentioned no TV is going to be totally perfect and maybe it will rub off with a cloth.

One thing I have noticed on all of them is if you go into the menu select a sample picture then hit back it will give a complete black screen. If you look very close you will see the odd little colour showing like a pixel but it is not big enough. I am thinking this is how they were manufactured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 46xbr8 46 Inch Triluminos Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page