Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

Never really looked too much into this. Is this plasma's problem with fast motion, comparable to motion blurring on an LCD?

It's more similar to DLP rainbows, but without the whole "ow, my retinas!" aspect. Or like bad colour fringing on a misalligned 3 chip projector, but only when something moves.

Some brands seem to have the problem worse than others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemath View Post

You need high speed in combination with the right contrast, like a bright background and a dark fast moving object, and you have to be sensitive to the trail....many eyes just can't detect it.

Go watch a bluray at the store for an hour and see if you spot one. likely won't.

I was watching Kung Fu Panda for a bit on Saturday at the Best Buy Magnolia, and saw nothing similar.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was watching Kung Fu Panda for a bit on Saturday at the Best Buy Magnolia, and saw nothing similar.

Try something with large areas of primary colours and white. Soccer and other field sports are probably your best bet.

This is of course assuming you want to see an image artifact. Most of us wish we couldn't see what ever artifacts our TVs possess.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carled View Post

Try something with large areas of primary colours and white. Soccer and other field sports are probably your best bet.

This is of course assuming you want to see an image artifact. Most of us wish we couldn't see what ever artifacts our TVs possess.

lol, you are right. Not sure I want to see anything, but better in the store than after I buy it.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but better in the store than after I buy it.

This is true, but all TVs have some failing or another. Generally the most aggravating of the problems are pretty obvious if they're going to bother you or not and displays with them tend to fall off the short-list pretty quickly. 90% of what we do here on AVS is worrying about the other niggling problems that wouldn't bother us so much if we could only stop the OCD parts of our brain from obsessing over them [visiting AVS is not good medicine for that problem]. This is not of course to say you shouldn't buy the display with the least bothering problems you can, but if you believed some of the horror hyperbole that gets thrown around these parts you'd end up so firmly stuck on the fence it'd impale you.

No display is perfect [no matter than Kuro fanboys might tell you], don't let paranoia dissuade yourself if you find something you like.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is true, but all TVs have some failing or another. Generally the most aggravating of the problems are pretty obvious if they're going to bother you or not and displays with them tend to fall off the short-list pretty quickly. 90% of what we do here on AVS is worrying about the other niggling problems that wouldn't bother us so much if we could only stop the OCD parts of our brain from obsessing over them [visiting AVS is not good medicine for that problem]. This is not of course to say you shouldn't buy the display with the least bothering problems you can, but if you believed some of the horror hyperbole that gets thrown around these parts you'd end up so firmly stuck on the fence it'd impale you.

No display is perfect [no matter than Kuro fanboys might tell you], don't let paranoia dissuade yourself if you find something you like.

Yes, what you say is true, and I'm trying not to let any pre-dispositions bias my judgement in viewing or reasoning. Both the Pio Elite 60" and 55XBR8 appear to be superb televisions. In favor of the Pioneer, that extra 5 inches is fairly significant...definitely noticeable.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, what you say is true, and I'm trying not to let any pre-dispositions bias my judgement in viewing or reasoning. Both the Pio Elite 60" and 55XBR8 appear to be superb televisions. In favor of the Pioneer, that extra 5 inches is fairly significant...definitely noticeable.

Indeed. It's a shame the S-LCD factory isn't keyed up for making larger sizes cheaply as 55" really isn't that big.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You know what I think is funny? How people always find something to pit against a tech/item they despise/chose against. First, it was BI, when that became no more of an issue, than the uneven wear of LED based LCDs, they moved onto glare. When Samsung implemented their ultra clear bright panels. Now, it is something that you hardly ever heard mention of... phosphor trails. No one could ever see it, now that defenses are running slim, PT trails all of sudden can be seen by everyone, or those that say they can't see them, are lying.

I don't know about most, but I don't watch tv darting my eyes back and forth, tilting my head back, squinting my eyes, and moving my eye balls as fast as I can from one corner of the screen to the other. Or even better, looking for specific material, and then doing all of this.

It is easy to dismiss those who own a Kuro "fanboys", but when someone suggests a person to do all of the ridiculous things I mentioned above, what does that make them? A "fanboy" of another type? IMO, if someone is going to do the things mentioned above, you may as well wear a clown hat, with a propeller, green shirt striped shirt, highwaters, and ride a unicycle while they're at it.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen phosphor trails before. The only set that I've seen that displayed the effect to what I would consider a deleterious level was a Samsung plasma, but to me that means "don't buy a Samsung plasma" and not "don't buy a plasma".

If your comments about Kuro fanboys was directed at one of my posts you can relax. I have no issue with Pioneer plasmas (they're fantastic TVs) or their owners, or said owners saying how much they like their TVs on internet forums. The fanboys I speak of are a very small but loud group of people who seek to shut down debate on other TVs because their believe in a self-evident and incontrovertible superiority of one brand and whose confirmation bias does not allow them to accept that their object of devotion is not necessary the right answer to all questions and that a perfectly rational and informed individual might happen to decide to buy a TV made by another manufacturer. It is hardly a new phenomenon, I can remember the days of Trinitron fanboys.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

I don't know about most, but I don't watch tv darting my eyes back and forth, tilting my head back, squinting my eyes, and moving my eye balls as fast as I can from one corner of the screen to the other. Or even better, looking for specific material, and then doing all of this.

It doesn't have to do with darting your eyes back & forth, it has to do with motion.
When something is too fast on a plasma, the picture induces the trails, just like how normal LCD's induces ghosting on those same fast scenes.
There are videos out there that show this very clearly.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Indeed. It's a shame the S-LCD factory isn't keyed up for making larger sizes cheaply as 55" really isn't that big.

It's a wonder they managed to push out 55" from the glass originally made for 52" by reducing margins.

Samsung has (still has?) investment ongoing to make even bigger panels in volume, this takes billions and billions. Sharp is producing 65" in volumes. Bigger than that, it is unit-made production at stratospheric prices but you can order 70" Sony and even 108" Sharp.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Finally picked up my Sony 55" LCD (KDL-55XBR8) this past saturday (been waiting for a while since stock wasn't available) and all i can say is WOWSERS!!

I've previously had the Samsung LN-55A950 but sent it back once i've found the problems/issues it had.

Just setup the unit (6-7ft viewing distance) and watched The Dark Knight last knight and totally blew me away! It's like having my own personal IMAX in my bedroom. lol

Still playing with the different settings on it (contrast, brightness, picture, etc..) and still getting used to it. Came from an older Sony 27" CRT and this was definitely worth the jump. Some people say it might be too big but for me personally fits like a glove.

Just wanted to share my experience.

On another note is there a Calibration thread for this unit? Trying to find out the optimum settings for this unit.

Anybody know?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Finally picked up my Sony 55" LCD (KDL-55XBR8) this past saturday (been waiting for a while since stock wasn't available) and all i can say is WOWSERS!!

I've previously had the Samsung LN-55A950 but sent it back once i've found the problems/issues it had.

Just setup the unit (6-7ft viewing distance) and watched The Dark Knight last knight and totally blew me away! It's like having my own personal IMAX in my bedroom. lol

Still playing with the different settings on it (contrast, brightness, picture, etc..) and still getting used to it. Came from an older Sony 27" CRT and this was definitely worth the jump. Some people say it might be too big but for me personally fits like a glove.

Just wanted to share my experience.

On another note is there a Calibration thread for this unit? Trying to find out the optimum settings for this unit.

Anybody know?

Glad you like your set. I have the 46" XBR8 and it is awesome. I had it professionally calibrated last week and I can't take my eyes off the set now; nothing short of spectacular. If you go to TweakTV.com Kevin Miller posted the settings he got from my TV. You also might want to take a look around. Someone from CNET posted some settings for a 55" XBR8 and I used them while I waited for the set to be calibrated. Do yourself a favor. You spent a bundle on that set and in my opinion it is well worth spending the bucks to have the set professionally calibrated.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 PM

Hi JamE55:

Here are my Sony KDL-55XBR8 Settings basically from TweakTV...They are working great...but I would like to know more Professional Calibrations for other sets

Picture Adjustments
Picture Mode Standard
*Backlight 3
*Picture 95
*Brightness 50
*Color 52
*Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 2
Sharpness 30
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
DRC Mode Off
DRC Palette

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector Off
Advanced C.E. Off
Gamma Off
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Color Space Standard
Live Color Off
White Balance Factory Default
**R-Gain 0
**G-Gain 0
**B-Gain 0
**R-Bias 0
**G-Bias 0
**B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off

Motion Enhancer Off

CineMotion Auto 1

Game/Text Mode Off

Video/Photo Optimizer Video-A

Video Color Space Auto

Photo Color Space: sYCC

Color Matrix: Auto

RGB Dynamic Range: Auto

Screen Menu
Wide Mode Full
Auto Wide On
4:3 Default Off
Display Area Full Pixel

General Setup menu:
Power Save Mode Off
Light Sensor Off

TecMan
Sony KDL-55XBR8 Owner
Old 12-15-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

It's a wonder they managed to push out 55" from the glass originally made for 52" by reducing margins.

Samsung has (still has?) investment ongoing to make even bigger panels in volume, this takes billions and billions. Sharp is producing 65" in volumes. Bigger than that, it is unit-made production at stratospheric prices but you can order 70" Sony and even 108" Sharp.

Basically S-LCD need a new factory. Construction starts on their Gen 11 factory sometime next year, but it'll probably take a year for them to finish building it.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post

Glad you like your set. I have the 46" XBR8 and it is awesome. I had it professionally calibrated last week and I can't take my eyes off the set now; nothing short of spectacular. If you go to TweakTV.com Kevin Miller posted the settings he got from my TV. You also might want to take a look around. Someone from CNET posted some settings for a 55" XBR8 and I used them while I waited for the set to be calibrated. Do yourself a favor. You spent a bundle on that set and in my opinion it is well worth spending the bucks to have the set professionally calibrated.

Couldn't agree more. Yes i plan on having it professional calibrated. Just waiting to get through the whole "burn-in" process before calibrating it. Read on the ISF forum that LCD TV's need to get burned in around 200hrs before having it calibrated. So after that calibration time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TecMan45 View Post

Hi JamE55:

Here are my Sony KDL-55XBR8 Settings basically from TweakTV...They are working great...but I would like to know more Professional Calibrations for other sets

Picture Adjustments
Picture Mode Standard
*Backlight 3
*Picture 95
*Brightness 50
*Color 52
*Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 2
Sharpness 30
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
DRC Mode Off
DRC Palette

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector Off
Advanced C.E. Off
Gamma Off
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Color Space Standard
Live Color Off
White Balance Factory Default
**R-Gain 0
**G-Gain 0
**B-Gain 0
**R-Bias 0
**G-Bias 0
**B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off

Motion Enhancer Off

CineMotion Auto 1

Game/Text Mode Off

Video/Photo Optimizer Video-A

Video Color Space Auto

Photo Color Space: sYCC

Color Matrix: Auto

RGB Dynamic Range: Auto

Screen Menu
Wide Mode Full
Auto Wide On
4:3 Default Off
Display Area Full Pixel

General Setup menu:
Power Save Mode Off
Light Sensor Off

TecMan
Sony KDL-55XBR8 Owner

Thanks for the info TecMan. I did see this earlier on TweakTv. Guess i'll give it a try.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

now that's the type of full-on technical owner review i've been waiting for !!! thanks and keep it coming.

AND i hope you got the latest pricing !

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

James got his for like half price...so he doesn't count. Could sell it used and make a profit even. (then buy a KURO!! whaa!)

I hate paying too much for goods. My favourite price is free.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

now that's the type of full-on technical owner review i've been waiting for !!! thanks and keep it coming.

AND i hope you got the latest pricing !

TVbc

Latest pricing? lol How about employee pricing? Can tell you right now that the markup on this thing is just . Even with the new "lower" Sony style pricing it's still outrageous.

What makes me happy about this TV (besides the black levels, features, etc..) is the fact that my viewing distance is only 6-7ft away and the unit is 55". As i've said befor it's kind of like having my own personal IMAX. It truly is just amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemath View Post

James got his for like half price...so he doesn't count. Could sell it used and make a profit even. (then buy a KURO!! whaa!)

I hate paying too much for goods. My favourite price is free.

I was actually thinking of getting the KURO PRO-151FD before i bought this unit but the "pop" like (MotionFlow 120Hz) feature on the Sony sold me. I know it's different on the Plasma but just didn't do it for me. Although i might get that one too for my living room.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Do any 55xbr8 owners have any settings to post from a professional calibration?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendown3 View Post

Do any 55xbr8 owners have any settings to post from a professional calibration?

Go to the owner's thread for that set and you will find
Old 12-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Go to the owner's thread for that set and you will find

I thought this was the owner's thread.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post

You are a lucky guy to have Kevin Miller calibrate your set. I would love to be able to get him to do my Kuro 151. I hear nothing but excellent things about him. One of the big names in ISF calibration.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Finally got my XBR8 46 inch set tonight and I LOVE it. Easy set up, and works well with my BDV-IT1000ES system. Regular DVDs look almost as good as blu-ray. I find that I do need to change the noise setting (to low noise reduction, or sometimes auto) for some TV show DVDs to avoid graininess. However, the blacks on the Iron Man blu-ray and Galaxy Quest DVD are simply stunning.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:

What were the a950's problems/ issues ?

Several weeks ago I went to look at both the xbr8 and the a950 in a local Magnolia, and both sets had their own issues, particularly the off-angle viewing.

I'm wondering what the issues were that you found.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMan View Post

Several weeks ago I went to look at both the xbr8 and the a950 in a local Magnolia, and both sets had their own issues, particularly the off-angle viewing.

I'm wondering what the issues were that you found.

If you look at this thread below (can't remember which page) there's a couple or maybe more issues with the A950. Ones i can remember are the production date. If it's mfg before October (i believe that is the date?) it was a firmware board issue. There's also a 3sec menu lag problem which i've experienced playing with it. Didn't suit me well so i passed on it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1060111
Old 12-19-2008, 02:04 PM

There seems to be considerable discussion towards professional calibration of Sony XBR8 as well as other Sony models. Why would anyone pay to have this personal judgement service performed? What looks good to one individual may not suit another. Is it intimidation brought on by being electronically challenged? Someone with more knowledge related to my questions can, hopefully, advise.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

there are no real issues-many people over-reacted when they read a cnet/hometheater mag. review about black crush/blooming with sets manufactured before sept.20. I own an early model 950 and elected not to have anything at all done to it-absolutely the best hd picture I have seen from any tv(have not seen the XBR8)again, I see no issues at all with the 950. ron
Old 12-19-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryinva View Post

There seems to be considerable discussion towards professional calibration of Sony XBR8 as well as other Sony models. Why would anyone pay to have this personal judgement service performed? What looks good to one individual may not suit another. Is it intimidation brought on by being electronically challenged? Someone with more knowledge related to my questions can, hopefully, advise.

while imo it is an artful science, it is lots more than personal judgment. you might want to do some reading up on this. one place to start would be the Display Calibration section of this forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

you will find a thread that gives the names and sites of pro calibrators and if you go to some of their sites you will get a very good idea what is involved in a professional calibration.

i've started to do my own research on this and exactly what all is involved in the testing values and procedures. i am impressed with the equipment and software involved and with the amount of time involved with a full on pro calibration. as with most anything, experience does make a difference, as does the fact that some individuals are better at it than others.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryinva View Post

Video is mastered to a set of industry standards (ITU-R recommendation BT.709 being the main one). The point of calibration is to bring the television in line with those industry standards so things look to us like they would to the people who made the film/series/game and not wildly different like they do as set up in stores.

Whether that's important to you personally is for you to decide, but if you don't care about accuracy you're probably better served with a cheaper TV than the XBR8 to begin with.

Tags
Plasma Hdtv , Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 46xbr8 46 Inch Triluminos Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr8 by PriceGrabber.com