RCA New 40" 1080p LCD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-03-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does any one have any experience with, or seen a review of, the
RCA L40FHD380 40" 1080p TV currently marketed at Sam's Club (and perhaps WalMart?)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 PM

i actually picked up that tv the other day. i am very pleased. no reviews yet, ive been looking as well. i dont care for the remote and it doesnt have a whole lot of features such as PIP, etc. but the picture is very nice and for the price you can't beat it. no regrets.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-05-2008, 08:31 PM

I've had mine for a couple of months now, and I love it. My only complaint is the universal remote does not include a volume-lock function. This means I have to press the cable button to change channels, but press the TV button to adjust the volume. Annoying. Otherwise, excellent picture, and I love the low profile bezel.

For what it's worth, Sam's had the RCA staged directly next to a similar Sony 1080P set, and I watched them both side-by-side for over 30 minutes trying to see some difference in the picture, and the RCA looked just as good as the Sony for every demo clip they had in the loop.

There are few other 1080p sets available now for the same price I paid, but I am still very happy with my purchase. If the remote were a little more friendly I would give it a 100% awesome review. )

post #4 of 23 Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM

I researched this purchase extensively. My needs required as large a screen as possible that would fit into a 37" width. This requirement limited my choices to models with the slim (narrow) bezel design, the Toshiba 40XF550U, 40RF530U, Sony KDL40Z4100 and the unit I just purchased, the RCA L40FHD380.I viewed all of these and decided for the money, the RCA would be hard to beat. Setup was extremely easy, picture out of the box was very impressive, better than the Samsung that I've had for a couple of years.I have viewed OTA HD, DVD 480 and a new JVC 1090p and all video sources look fantastic. Sound quality from onboard speaker is not very good but I will be playing sound through HT system so this really doesn't matter in my case. So far, after a couple of weeks, I am extremely pleased with this unit. If you want to have a few dollars left in your pocket, buy the RCA. Thin Bezel looks great! I paid $899.00 for it at Sams Club. While there are larger LCD's available for the money, it was by far the best deal in the limited selection 40" range, especially when you add in the slim bezel feature. The remote does seem a little awkward and limited, but the picture quality overshadows the remotes shortcomings. I have had several friends just stand a stare at the picture, not believing they are seeing such an amazingly clear, bright, colorful image above an RCA label. I find it hard to believe myself. This one gets an A+ from me.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For those of you that have had this set for a while now have you had any problems with it? Our Sam's club has it on their last one rack for a pretty decent price.

post #6 of 23 Old 12-14-2008, 03:39 AM

I've seen this unit at Sam's too and it seemed to look pretty good...they've sold out by now but for a while there was a last display unit (although, not as cheap as the cheapest TVs I've seen). Still, with the thin bezel it certainly looked more impressive than you'd expect from an RCA budget TV.

I'm curious myself as to who makes the panel for these!
post #7 of 23 Old 06-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Hi,
I just bought the RCA L40FHD41 today from Walmart, $598 40" LCD 1080p. I couldn't find any information anywhere about this TV, was going to start a new topic but the site prompted me to bring back this old one instead.

It looks like a winner, at least for my needs. It's going into the basement for the kids and the XBOX 360 is, so far, the only source to it. XBOX>HDMI>RCA looks great.

No idea about colors & settings, and trust me, you don't want me giving color setting advice. In the store it looked better than the 37" Vizio I went to buy but for $1 more I got a 40".

Any other Walmart shoppers out there?
post #8 of 23 Old 06-28-2009, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekdemon View Post

I'm curious myself as to who makes the panel for these!

I'd be curious to know who manufactures RCA. Thompson dumped it years ago, odds are some company bought the name.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I'd be curious to know who manufactures RCA. Thompson dumped it years ago, odds are some company bought the name.

LOL "All your TV are belong to us".

This particular tv is made by TTE Technology, a subsidary of TCL Multimedia Technology Holdings. BusinessWeek says TCL engages in the manufacture and sale of color television sets and other audio-visual products in Mainland China, North America, Europe, and internationally. TCL's website says they have 4 brands globally: TCL, ROWA, Thompson and RCA.

Apparently Thompson owns the brand names GE, PROSCAN, RCA, (and Thompson) and licenses these names to third party manufacturing companies.

It would be interesting to see all the corporate structures to see how much is "brand management" and how much is divesting revenue negative operations via "spin offs". TCL says they have a lab in Indy, that must have been part of the old RCA organization.

I was looking at a PROSCAN - I remember that as being RCA's premium label at one time. Thompson has it licensed to ON Corp (see www oncorpus.com)

It will be interesting to see if these companies can grow these brand names back to their old prominance or if this is just a way to get the last $ out of names remembered by the "old timers".

Meanwhile, enjoying the TV. So far there's been a 2 day marathon "Midnight Club LA" race session in the basement and no complaints. it looks good (on the other hand, I am so not ever letting my 12 yr old drive any of my cars LOL). Also hooked it to a PC via VGA, no problem with the 19?? x 1080 resolution other than the image had to be shifted to the left to fit on the screen.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM

If the price was right, for a non-critical use such as bedroom, kitchen, patio, I might consider one of these. But, I would consider them disposable. I would lay odds they would never be able to repair any of these sets.

What price point at these selling at? If I can, and have, gotten a 42" plasma from Panasonic for $599, a 40" LCD such as this one would only be attractive to me at a price point of $399-$450.
post #11 of 23 Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack8322 View Post

If the price was right, for a non-critical use such as bedroom, kitchen, patio, I might consider one of these. But, I would consider them disposable. I would lay odds they would never be able to repair any of these sets.

What price point at these selling at? If I can, and have, gotten a 42" plasma from Panasonic for $599, a 40" LCD such as this one would only be attractive to me at a price point of $399-$450.

My sentiments exactly. I work in electronics sales at a large Sears store and in our experience "no-name" lcds (Venturer, Element, et al) and those that carry old American brand names (Magnavox, Sylvania, ProScan, Zenith) are "dorm room" sets--disposable. Purchasing one of these in a 40-42" screen size over a 42" Panasonic X1 Plasma at $599 (or even $699) just because they're 1080i is foolish.

Steve S.
post #12 of 23 Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM

I bought the L40FHD380 at sam's club back in November. In the time since, the TV has developed a problem. From the right edge of the screen to about 3 inches out from the right edge of the screen, the picture is brighter. The problem keeps getting worse. It started out as faint only noticeable with curtain colors. Now you can notice it all the time. There is a sharp cut-off line from normal picture to a bright oversaturated picture. Do I have any chance of getting this repaired anywhere, or am I SOL.
post #13 of 23 Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 PM

I do know these have Samsung panels in them. You can see the sticker by looking in the top vents. My 40xv645u Toshiba also has a Samsung panel determined by the same method.

Does anyone know the remote code yet for dish network?

EDIT: This post is for L40FHD41
post #14 of 23 Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM

Can anyone else tell me if they have experienced any problems watching sports on this TV? I am in the market for a big TV but want to make sure that it will not lag (can't remember the term for it) when watching sports, as that is what I watch most often.

Any comments about this TV - it's listed at 640.00 in my nearby Walmart and has caught my eye.

Also, can anyone give me advise about specs to look for to ensure I don't end up with a TV that is bad for watching sports?
post #15 of 23 Old 09-06-2009, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just picked this up today for $467 at Walmart because it was a display model. Added a total of three years warranty for an extra $29 and I'm thinking I got a great deal. I'm not too picky but I have to say so far we love it and the picture is great on HDMI. We'll be using it for windows media center and combined with a gyro remote it's nice and easy to switch to Hulu and surf the web from the couch. We watched a couple episodes of Arrested Development (sitcom via Hulu) and I didn't see any tearing, blurring, or blockiness on the fast moving parts. The picture was perfect, or at least perfect to me. This being the most expensive TV I've ever bought, I may not be the right person to trust.

(L40FHD41)

Oh also supposedly the reason this is a priced low is because there are no codes that work with it for universal remotes or something. I personally don't care because we'll be doing everything in windows media center and the MCE remote controls everything we need.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 PM

We've had this RCA for a few months, and it works fine -- EXCEPT when we try to watch a DVD or videotape. It works for about 10 minutes, then the picture gradually fades and goes dark. The audio continues. There's no problem when watching live TV. Maybe this is caused by how it's hooked up (we have AT&T U-verse), but I don't think so. It just started doing this a few weeks ago.

Anyone else experience this?
post #17 of 23 Old 10-07-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4rock View Post

I bought the L40FHD380 at sam's club back in November. In the time since, the TV has developed a problem. From the right edge of the screen to about 3 inches out from the right edge of the screen, the picture is brighter. The problem keeps getting worse. It started out as faint only noticeable with curtain colors. Now you can notice it all the time. There is a sharp cut-off line from normal picture to a bright oversaturated picture. Do I have any chance of getting this repaired anywhere, or am I SOL.

I had the same issue. There is a 1 yr warranty w/ inhome repair on all RCA LCDs over 33 inches. I called 800-951-9582 and they delivered a new one within 10 days. Unfortunately it was the wrong model that did not fit in my cabinet. They took it back and said it would be about 2 weeks to get the exact model.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Not long after purchasing the RCA from Sam's the color bar started getting brighter like the post said for the other person earlier. Really bright on some pictures and not so noticeable on others. THEN, the when we started hooking up our Samsung Bluray player up to it, the HDMI ports started acting up. We've had to do everything from switching cords to different ports, to turning on the TV and off, to totaling unpluggin and waiting. Today, it doesn't want to play the bluray at all no matter what HDMI port we use. Sometimes, it will come on and then go back to "No signal" or it will come on with no audio. I'm really pissed off with this TV. I wish at this late date I could recoop some money at all for it and purchase a better make/brand. Our plasma Toshiba that is 5 years old is kicking like it's brand new to this day. Anyone out there have any suggestions? This afternoon, I'm going to install a software upgrade that was listed on the RCA tech page. It supposedly didn't address my problems, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to install it.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 AM

I have the same color bar issue as above with this TV purchased from SAMs in October 2008. I first noticed the lighter colored bar appearing on the right of the screen in November 2009. I had purchased an extended warranty, so I took the set in for sevice. The technician told me the LCD panel needed replaced, but the repair would cost more than I paid for the set. The warranty company is sending me a new Samsung TV. I still have the RCA and will use it in a bedroom until it dies, so please post any solutions or suggestions you may find. I also have issues with the remote control finder just sounding off at random, and the power/indicator light rarely works.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 AM

rwm96001, I had the same problem with the barking fetch "finder" part of the remote. Would go off in the middle of the night or just whenever. The remote finally died. I use my Dish Network remote for the TV now. Still have the color bar issue, the HDMI port hiccups, and another thing is I can't work my Dish Network receiver until the TV fully warms up still. I guess the IR signals from the TV or something are going to crazy and interfere with the Dish remote operating initially. Takes anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes sometimes. Won't ever be buying an RCA TV EVER AGAIN! Sticking with Toshiba and Samsung. I've got a Toshiba plasma that's 6 years old and perfect!
post #21 of 23 Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 694
FYI

RCA label is manufactured by Chinese Co. "TCL".

http://displaydaily.com/2010/01/18/c...-of-the-guard/

Excerpted:

"TCL, who manufactures and sells TVs under the RCA name, also had an impressive display of wares out for inspection. Their X10 lineup, while not as large as Hisense, offers 1.37" thick 1080p LCDs with 120 Hz refresh, 10-bit panels, and LED backlights, while the TD-42F 42-inch LCD incorporates a built-in lenticular screen for 3D video playback. TCL also showed their THBD-6500 Blu-ray player, along with a CHBD (China Blue HD) model that is compatible with CDs and red laser DVDs. "
post #22 of 23 Old 02-02-2010, 03:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by icreate007 View Post

rwm96001, I had the same problem with the barking fetch "finder" part of the remote. Would go off in the middle of the night or just whenever. The remote finally died. I use my Dish Network remote for the TV now. Still have the color bar issue, the HDMI port hiccups, and another thing is I can't work my Dish Network receiver until the TV fully warms up still. I guess the IR signals from the TV or something are going to crazy and interfere with the Dish remote operating initially. Takes anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes sometimes. Won't ever be buying an RCA TV EVER AGAIN! Sticking with Toshiba and Samsung. I've got a Toshiba plasma that's 6 years old and perfect!

What code did you use for your dish receiver? I can turn mine off with the dish remote but I can't turn it on. so the code only half works.

Bill
post #23 of 23 Old 09-26-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone ever try to calibrate the settings on this Sorry for resserecting this thread have had this tv for 5 yrs and not one problem with it still works like the day i bought it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page