Does Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U look better than Samsung LN46A650? Should I change? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I just bought this A650 on Oct 5, and was very happy with it.
I use this TV mainly as a computer monitor in about 4 feet.
Then, today suddenly someone told me that Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U is better. I checked most reviews and they said that plasma still has better contrast, black level, and especially, uniformity - less color/brightness differences in different view angles. The last one is very important to me, because I use this TV mainly as a computer monitor in about 4 feet.

Will the Panny do well when I connect to it through a DVI-HDMI cable? Or the TV will still think it's just a TV signal and do extra sharpening ?

I do notice that pictures at the straight front looks darker, and pictures at the sides looks brighter. I wonder whether things will become better if I return this one and buy a plasma, although I really feel hard to move this heavy set back to the store.

By the way, I found in 46PZ85U Manual Page 49,
"Some PC models cannot be connected to the set.
The maximum resolution: 1,280 × 1,024
If the display resolution exceeds these maximums, it may not be possible to show fine detail with sufficient clarity."
Looks like not a piece of good news?

Please tell me what you think, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think plasmas have great pic quality for movies and such but if you are using your tv mainly as a computer monitor I would stick with LCD. You'll get full resolution with the LCD and you wouldn't have to worry about burn in or image retention from plasma.

my two cents..
post #3 of 3 Old 10-20-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Using a plasma exclusively as a computer monitor is a bad idea. Image Retination WILL be a concern & burn-in is very possible if using it for a computer monitor for hours on end.
Sitting 4 feet from it is also a bad idea because you will see increased noise on the plasma over the LCD due to the way plasmas work.
The biggest benefits would be the better viewing angles. Just know that in extreme angles you will start to see a doubling image due to the plama have 2 sheets of glass. You would probbly also notice smoother mouse movement on the plasma as well.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page