LG 42LB 1DR no pic no sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an LG 42" LCD TV that has been on my wall since day one, I have had no problems until now. I will inform you I have no warranty and TV is 1.8 years old.

I was watching a movie and the picture and sound was lost. I turned off the surge protector and waited about 30 Min's then turned TV back on, at that time picture and sound was back. Shortly after the picture and sound was out again.

I have taken the TV apart and looked inside. I am looking at the power supply and it has one swollen capacitor 2200uF 10v. Could this be the culprit for the symptoms I am seeing?

there is a little cooling fan next to the HD should it come on when the TV powers on? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-24-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone please help
post #3 of 19 Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorddesk View Post

I have an LG 42" LCD TV that has been on my wall since day one, I have had no problems until now. I will inform you I have no warranty and TV is 1.8 years old.

I was watching a movie and the picture and sound was lost. I turned off the surge protector and waited about 30 Min's then turned TV back on, at that time picture and sound was back. Shortly after the picture and sound was out again.

I have taken the TV apart and looked inside. I am looking at the power supply and it has one swollen capacitor 2200uF 10v. Could this be the culprit for the symptoms I am seeing?

there is a little cooling fan next to the HD should it come on when the TV powers on? Thanks

Any swollen cap should be replaced regardless. You could also have a Hard drive problem. This is easy to diagnose just unplug the hard drive (power and data cables). Plug the TV back in to A/C and turn on if it was the hard drive the TV will power up and work without the Drive.

i-need-a-beak.com
post #4 of 19 Old 01-24-2009, 12:28 PM

concordhead-out of curiosity did you manage to fix this?
my 42lb1dr started doing the same thing yesterday. i checked the power supply and c235 is swollen as well.

i unplugged the sata and power to the hd and plugged the ac back in
the tv powers up. if i press the power button after about a minute it turns on but nothing on the screen. only the lamp on the lcd screen comes on. none of the buttons do anything. the tv then powers down after about a minutes (or a few seconds after i press the power button.)

NOTICE: I saw a similiar thread on FixYa about this LG LCD. They stated that C235 and the other 3 caps should be replaced to fix this issue. Obviously the swollen caps are the problem, but because these caps are defective you will save yourself trouble by replacing them all. Hope this helps anyone. I will post once I replace mines.

-Joe
post #5 of 19 Old 03-03-2009, 04:10 AM

Same problem with my LG as well. I have replaced capacitor C235 and TV is back working. LG should compensate users for such problem. It is clearly an out of spec/defective batch of capacitors. Soon I will replace remaining 3 capacitors with same spec.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 04:21 AM

Pictures attached show capacitors to be replaced in blue. Also, close shot of defective capacitor.
LL
LL
LL
post #7 of 19 Old 04-11-2009, 04:36 PM

After reading this and realizing I have the same problem, I took it apart and that was exactly the problem, # 235 had a bulge on top, now taking your advice I will replace all 4 of them...upon researching a little more I read that they are faulty.....

Picture below......

thank you
LL
post #8 of 19 Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not too hot on electronic circuits, but could you replace these with solid state caps? Like the tech that's now being used on motherboards?
post #9 of 19 Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Has anyone heard of this happening to the LG 37LC2D?
post #10 of 19 Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 PM

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead.

I have this TV and expect to find I have the same issue. Before I crack it open, can anybody walk me through replacing the failed capacitors?
post #11 of 19 Old 12-21-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscalvillo1 View Post

Has anyone heard of this happening to the LG 37LC2D?

Yes, I have a 37LC2D and it started to do this a few days ago. I am a little Leary about opening my unit up to check the c235. Is it possible there is another problem? What have you found out about your unit?
post #12 of 19 Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 PM

This is an entry by GARYJUNK1 from Fixya.com [ fixya(dotcom)/support/t635348-no_picture_no_sound ]. I'm in the process of repairing my LG 42LB1DR; the capacitor blew two days ago, I went to RadioShack today for the replacements but they didn't have them. If anyone can provide a link for the exact kind that will work, I would appreciate it. As you can see, there are a couple options, I just want to make sure I don't waste my time with the wrong ones. Sounds like an easy repair though.

"There are 4 bad Capacitors in this TV. LG just doesn't wnat to tell anybody......
I purchased four 2200uf @ 25v capacitor's for $8 at a repair shop. I upgraded to 25v because these will run cooler. The tv came with four 2200uf @ 10v Samxon caps that seem to be problematic in all the units they were used in. Do not buy Samxon if you do this yourself.... I opened the set by taking off the plastic back panel and then by removing the second metal panel. There are three boards and a hard drive. The board on the far left just above where the plug goes in is the power supply board. There are five data cables and one red power cable attached to it that can be removed simply by unplugging them. The board is fastened to the unit with five small screws, one on each corner and one in the middle of the right side. Look for three green capacitors grouped together around the middle of the board and slightly off to the right, you will probably see one that is bulging out at the top. This is most likely "C235", the main problem. The other three caps that need replacing are C202, C201 and C219. C219 is closer to the top part of the board.....
The process to replace is simple, believe it or not, and it could save you hundreds of dollars. 1, Go to RadioShack and buy a cheap soldering iron and a small roll of solder. 2, Buy four, 2200uf @ 25v capacitors, online or at an electronics store. 3, Plug the soldering iron in and let it heat up. 4, Locate C235 on the back side of the board and mark the negative terminal with a felt tip marker (you want to make sure that you put the negative terminal on the capacitor through the right hole, otherwise you will pop the cap. The negative terminal is clearly marker on all the capacitors). 5, With needle nose pliers, grip the cap and pull down while heating up the terminals. The cap will eventually come out. 6, Put the new cap in (you may need to heat the solder that is left on the board to clear the hole so it can push through). 6, When both terminals are through, bend them slightly so it stays in place. Take the solder and stretch out a few inches off the roll and while holding it in one hand, lightly touch the base of the terminal where it comes through the board, with the soldering iron and the solder at the same time. --- Try not to use too much solder.. you only need a tiny drop. This will solder the cap in place. 7, cut off the terminals close to the board with some snips and repeat this on the other three. 8, put the board back in, plug in the cables. Test the TV before putting the back panels on. It should work fine if all went well..... If you hear a pop than you reversed the terminals on a capacitor and that one will need to be redone correctly.... This might sound lengthy and potentially difficult but its worth a try. Otherwise you can pay someone to replace the entire board for BIG BUCKS with the same junk caps on it and have the same problem in a year or so. LG doesn't want to take responsibility for this and I'm sure that it has cost a lot of people a lot of money for about $8 in parts........... This worked for me and it can work for anybody with the same problem.. Good Luck!"
post #13 of 19 Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 AM

I went through this entire process and it was pretty straight forward actually getting to the board. Removing the cap and soldering in the replacement proved to be a challenge. I was able to get it out, but installing the new one took a lot of time and I think I probably screwed it up. Obviously these boards are all computer/machine created. I couldn't manage to place a small drop of solder. Probably the soldering iron and solder I was using, but I think the solder overlapped with one of the other circuits. Anyway, got it installed and fired it up and nothing. The bulb didnt even turn on.

I think that since I have the TV opened at this point, I may just purchase a new power board for $90 online. If it works, great, if not then I'm out $100.

Thanks for the tips.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM

I also have this same model and issue...however when I opened mine up I noticed more than once capacitor bulging and I switched all of them out, however the tv is still not working and I was wondering if anyone else knew what could be the problem, if buying a new power circuit board will fix it I may just do that.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 07:20 PM

I have the same model and silmilar issue, replaced the capacitors and works perfectly.

Thanks Garyjunk1 the tips
post #16 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Remember you always take the chance of breaking the printed circuit trace when you remove a cap. If that happens the power supply will not work when the cap is replaced. It may not be possible to see if a trace is broken. There may be trace on both sides of the board and it could be a multilayer board with trace inside the board. These boards are not designed to be repaired, only to be built. With luck and good technique, which includes a solder sucker, it can be done, most of the time. Like to here the success of those who have replaced the power board.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM

i just changed my capacitor on my LG 42".... there's a great tutorial on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbGiXqBAvvo) it took me a few hours and probably around $50 including the solder.... so worth it!

cheers,

Ricco
post #18 of 19 Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM

Hello:

I am having the same problem 3 of these capacitors are bad. I will be changing them.

I forgot the cables hook up.

They are 3 of them horizontal on the board. I cant remember the order.

If you want I can upload a picture.

Let me know.

Thanks
post #19 of 19 Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM

If you still have picture #3 can you please post with higher resolution.

Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Plasma Tv Dvr Remote Control 6710v00142b 6710v00141t Supplied With Models 50px4dr 50px4dr H Ua 50
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page