I need a good mount suggestion please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure this question has been asked over and over, but this is my first time mounting an LCD and I want to get it right.

I have a SAMSUNG 40" LNT4061F. It's about 46lbs with the stand. I use it in my bedroom mainly on my dresser with the stand. But I just bought a brand new home and of course all the new houses these days have nice gas heaters with place above it to put a flatscreen. It even has the electrical and cable hookups ready, so I'm certain it has studs to mount.

I don't really want to set it up there on the stand though, I want to mount it with it angled down a bit. Now considering the weight, what is the best mount, one that would give me some room to put a bigger one up there (planning to buy a second samsung lcd next year, 46 or 50" maybe). I'd like it as close to the wall as possible.

I saw this mount from Monoprice (item number 3900, can't post urls yet ). Cheap, but it got excellent reviews, but I don't know if I want to leave my tv in the hands of a cheap mount like that. Then I saw another one from monoprice I liked (id is 3725), but another thread here said it bends a little when its not articulated...

Any suggestions considering the weight and size of the lcd (that give me a little growing room?).

I love these forums, I could spend all day reading them!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

wow, no one can help me with this?

I have to start working on this project next weekend and want to make sure I'm in the know.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I can let you know that monoprice mounts are decent quality. I have used there flush mounts over and over again. I am not a fan of tilt mounts,as a personal preference, but if you are mounting the tv high on the wall, then you may need one.

I have never had a bad monoprice mount though, and I have had 4 of them.

Consider buying the mount that will give you the most head room for the future.

If your tv is 40", get one with a range of 37" to 60" or whatever they come in.

I think my flush mount is from the ranger 42" to 6X" and I have a 42" on it right now.

You cannot go wrong with a monoprice mount. The price is unbeatable.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Thank you!

I will be mounting it above a fireplace (gas) mantle so It may be a bit high, which is why I wanted to go with the tilt mount.

Thanks for the advice! Now I feel better about ordering it.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. It makes sense to be unsure about the mono price mounts because of the price.

Wall mounts are just one of those over priced things in electronics stores. It's just metal and lag bolts, you know?

If you can find two studs above your mantle, and use two lag bolts per stud, you are good to go. Your TV must be an LCD at 46lbs. 4 lag bolts in two studs is overkill (but required of course). The mount you buy will probably be rated for 100lbs+, because they can also hold plasmas, which usually double the weight of the same size LCD. Of course if there are 3 available studs, you might as well bolt to all 3 studs, using a total of 6 lag bolts, just for the future, like if you bought a heavier tv.

I feel like these ratings are a bit conservative too. I think I could hang on my wall mount all day long, and I weigh 240lbs. lol.

Good Luck!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 03:31 PM

I have a 40" Sammy 4061 mounted in my bedroom on an Omni mount I bought at sears. It is a single stud mount with 2 long lag bolts. The mount is rated for 50lbs but the set is around 38lbs without the stand. I haven't had any problems and it's been hanging up there over a year.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...5&d=1191896349
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...4&d=1191896349
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...3&d=1191896349

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #7 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 PM

This one (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2) is from Monoprice, and I just received mine, and I can tell you it is far from cheap. It tilts 15-degrees down, so that should take care of your angle. It weighs about 15 lbs.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwehman View Post

This one (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2) is from Monoprice, and I just received mine, and I can tell you it is far from cheap. It tilts 15-degrees down, so that should take care of your angle. It weighs about 15 lbs.

Thats the one I just bought

Thank you guys so much!!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 04:18 PM

I prefer the mounts made by peerless industries, they are getting flatter and flatter and they are available as flat, tilting and articulating mounts.

HDDVD, Blue Ray, Pioneer Elite Receiver, MX3000 Remote, Yup, I am rockin my High def configuration.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page