Samsung LNS4051D Artifact Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to the forums, searched for this before posting but a similar problem was not found. In March of 07 I purchased a Samsung LNS4051D LCD HDTV. Got the regular 12 month warranty plus the extra free 3 months. Up until 6 weeks ago it had no problems on any level. I put in a DVD of The Wire and noticed during a few scenes that there was this big gray blotch running unevenly and vertically along the right side of the screen. It happens regardless of the source, component, HDMI, or VGA. It only shows up on certain dark backgrounds and doesn't actually block out an image, it just overlaps it transparently. Samsung support was not helpful in determining the problem and deferred me to local shops that might do repair. Here are the quesitons I have:

1) What is this problem?
2) What could've caused this problem/how do I keep it from happening?
3) What can I do to fix it?
4) Is it cost effective to have the television serviced over buying a new TV (which would seem like a total waste because other than this it's a fine product).

Below is a picture of the problem, highlighted in the red box. Please ignore the middle blotch. Thank you in advance for any help/info.

***For some reason I can't post the picture, so please see the attachment.
LL