Official Sharp 720p LC32SB21U / LC32SB220U / LC32SB23U TV thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 141 Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoshin View Post

Jaggies? Hmm... odd. I haven't experienced jaggies the few times I've used 1080i, but I do notice scanlines sometimes in games. Other than that I see no difference between 720p and 1080i on my set. BTW, thanks for testing that for me, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

No problem.

I first noticed the jaggies while watching Transformers on BD. When they cut to outside of Sam's school, the top of the building had jaggies. Another is on Bumble Bee (car form), when Sam is telling his to get out of the car. The pin stripes (on the outside of the racing stripes) had jaggies as well. These examples were the most noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus18 View Post

No problem.

I first noticed the jaggies while watching Transformers on BD. When they cut to outside of Sam's school, the top of the building had jaggies. Another is on Bumble Bee (car form), when Sam is telling his to get out of the car. The pin stripes (on the outside of the racing stripes) had jaggies as well. These examples were the most noticeable.

I would assume that the jaggies are a result of the scaling? As I said before, I only used 1080i a few times, as I found 720p to be of higher quality. Thanks for the info though, I may check out some of my BDs in 1080i just to see if I find any jaggies as well.
post #93 of 141 Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 AM

Last Friday I decided to return this TV back to Wally World before the 90 day return policy expired. I really liked the TV and the decision was based on my car needing repairs more than anything else. Now that I got a taste of a flat panel HDTV I'm hooked. After a few months of saving I will go back and buy another but I think I will go bigger with 1080p. So anyways, thanks for all the great info and help with this Sharp. I'll be back in the AVS Forums when I get my next TV. Lates.
post #94 of 141 Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

You're welcome.

Anyone else here had the problem I had where the TV cycled on and off randomly when the TV was turned on?

Yes my girlfriends TV is doing that cycling off and on when we are viewing over the air signal. Please help it is a little frustrating.
post #95 of 141 Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM

I upgraded my XBOX to the Pro model today, however Im experiencing image retention via HDMI. I previously used the MS VGA cable with the 20gig model and didn't have any problems. Has anyone else had this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee_4574 View Post

Yes my girlfriends TV is doing that cycling off and on when we are viewing over the air signal. Please help it is a little frustrating.

Sounds like a defect. Return or exchange it.
post #96 of 141 Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I upgraded my XBOX to the Pro model today, however Im experiencing image retention via HDMI. I previously used the MS VGA cable with the 20gig model and didn't have any problems. Has anyone else had this issue?

Sounds like a defect. Return or exchange it.

I used to commonly have image retention while using my ps3 via HDMI cable with this set. When a cutscene ended or something along the line of that, and the screen would go black, I'd see a faint image of what was there and it'd go away when it went back to gameplay. I read something on a forum one day about the 360 having different HDMI settings and that 705 or something like that was the best to use, you could try that maybe?

Also, when I changed HDMI RGB range to Full instead of Limited on my PS3, the retention went away. I have since changed it back to limited and it was there again, but for some reason later on it quit happening even on Limited. Puzzling.

Edit: I just found something on it. The color space options for HDMI are Rec. 601, 709, Auto, Source or RGB. Maybe you should do some research on this.
post #97 of 141 Old 02-21-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoshin View Post

I used to commonly have image retention while using my ps3 via HDMI cable with this set. When a cutscene ended or something along the line of that, and the screen would go black, I'd see a faint image of what was there and it'd go away when it went back to gameplay. I read something on a forum one day about the 360 having different HDMI settings and that 705 or something like that was the best to use, you could try that maybe?

Also, when I changed HDMI RGB range to Full instead of Limited on my PS3, the retention went away. I have since changed it back to limited and it was there again, but for some reason later on it quit happening even on Limited. Puzzling.

Edit: I just found something on it. The color space options for HDMI are Rec. 601, 709, Auto, Source or RGB. Maybe you should do some research on this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll mess with the settings and report back.
post #98 of 141 Old 02-22-2009, 01:16 AM

Does anyone experience any type of ghosting or smearing with this set? I'm not sure exactly what it is that's happening, but sometimes when things are moving on screen, for a second or so I can see like the outline of where it was before it moved. Doesn't happen all the time, but it gets very annoying to me, because I notice it, and most others don't. It usually happens during fast movement. I did notice that if I turned the tv on the dynamic presetting that this doesnt happen, and I know this setting is horrible; I don't use it, it was only for testing purposes. I have the tv calibrated using both the AVS HD provided here, and the Monster/ISF disc, going back and forth between the two. I also have DNR turned off, and active contrast off. Could it be that I'm using too much contrast and not enough brightness, or vice versa? Basically I'm saying that I know that you can calibrate grayscale different ways with Brightness and Contrast, because they play off of each other.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know. It'd be greatly appreciated.
post #99 of 141 Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 AM

In January 2009, we bought the Sharp 32SB21U TV from Dell. We love it; however, recently both remotes (Sharp and Comcast Universal) stopped working. Somehow the TV had settings changed to lock them out. It has been corrected and the batteries have been changed to no avail. The comcast remote still works with the cable box but neither one of them will now run the TV. Can anyone provide any help on this issue? Thanks.
post #100 of 141 Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll mess with the settings and report back.

Well, I messed with the settings to no avail. I also started noticing IR in the previews on my Blu Ray player. Seems to me it could be a problem with the HDMI inputs as I don't experience this with the component inputs (DVD and PS2) or PC input (old 360).

I'll be returning this set as soon as my new unit gets in, which should be in about a week. It was nice while it lasted.
post #101 of 141 Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 PM

i have found that ghosting is the biggest problem with this set, I notice it all of the time. But what do you expect for a entry level lcd. I have noticed that putting active contrast on has reduced the ghosting effect a bunch, and to set your sources to 720p instead of 1080i
post #102 of 141 Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayanything167 View Post

i have found that ghosting is the biggest problem with this set, I notice it all of the time. But what do you expect for a entry level lcd. I have noticed that putting active contrast on has reduced the ghosting effect a bunch, and to set your sources to 720p instead of 1080i

I always have it set to 720p, but I can't stand Active Contrast, it lightens everything up too much, colors i mean. But thanks for the input.
post #103 of 141 Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM

so.. once again: does anyone know of a service update available for this set through the USB input? Heck where do you even find them, are they listed on the sharp.com ?
post #104 of 141 Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayanything167 View Post

so.. once again: does anyone know of a service update available for this set through the USB input? Heck where do you even find them, are they listed on the sharp.com ?

Sharp.com doesn't even list the 23U down, but should be the same as the 24U. And I wish I knew, I've always wondered about it myself. If I find out anything I'll let you know.
post #105 of 141 Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 AM

Well I don't have this set anymore but I still come back to this thread. I see that a few of you are experiencing various problems. I too had some issues with this set which did factor in on me returning it. When I first got it back in November of last year, it turned off on me by itself. I tried turning it back on to no avail untill after about fifteen minutes when I tried again. Months went by with no issues until a few weeks ago I was watching tv and the picture froze in a smeared, warped image but the sound was still normal. I thought the set had broken for sure. I turned it off and waited about five minutes before I turned it back on. It worked fine after that. These issues worried me and I needed to get some car repairs so I returned it. Oh, one more thing. I hooked up the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player to this set and I was totally unsatisfied with the PQ. I've watch movies on HD-DVD on my roommate's Sharp and it looked great but on this Sharp it was lousy. Granted he has a top line Aquos but I really thought the picture would be better than it looked. It was comparable to regular DVD. I liked the set enough to keep it if I didn't have to fix my car but these issues were a concern. I will now go for something a little bigger with 1080p. Thanks.
post #106 of 141 Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 AM

Hello, this is my first entry to this forum. I was trying to see about settings for my Sharp LC-32SB21U, which since it is my first LCD 720p TV, I needed help. I have read these threads several times over and use the settings offered. I am happy with the results.
Now if anyone could help me, as since I am new to this, setting up my home theater, I am not sure if this could be done: I have these items:
Sharp L-32SB21U, Sony PS3, Sony home Theatre DAV-HDX274, WII, with Component 5 plugs cables and Cable box, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD. The only problem I have is that the Sony system has only one HDMI output and the Sharp has two HDMI inputs, but does have a RGB input.
My current set-up is cable box-HDMI to TV,
Sony PS3-HDMI to TV,
Sony Home theatre via component to TV
and WII to TV via 5 plug component.
I want to use the least mount of cables, to make it simple and clean looking and to use the most amount of HDMIs cable possible.
What I was thinking is to purchase an RGB to HDMI cable for the Sony Home theatre, but I dont know whether this would work. Does anyone think this would work better than what I currently have which is using component cables? Any help will be appreicated. Cesar
post #107 of 141 Old 02-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Hello,
I have the sharp LC32SB23U And when i play games and DVDs (in hd and sd) there is black bars going across the screen. its VERY visible when the screen moves at a fast/slow-fast rate.
is it defective? or is it just the back lights?
is there a special setting to get rid of them?
also there is a "film (as in sticky film like substance, but its completely clean and case fresh)" like picture quality, you can see lines going up and down as well as across.
post #108 of 141 Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 PM

Can any one help me with my question?
post #109 of 141 Old 03-01-2009, 12:40 PM

sounds like a banding problem, sharp had major problems with uneven screen uniformity in terms of blacks and they also had banding problems with their 2006 and 07 models.

probably defective- i'd trade it in
post #110 of 141 Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM

took it back, got a sanyo 720p lcd hd.
post #111 of 141 Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Just got the Sharp 32SB24U.

Followed the postings here to set up my picture (very nice).

Wondering if there's any audio calibration available. If any one got some set up for Audio, please post. Thanks
post #112 of 141 Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I've never called a TV a piece of junk, but that's what this is. Bought one last week despite a feeling that I wouldn't be happy after reading about all of the issues that Sharp has had with quality during the past year. Replacing on older Sharp 4:3 LCD so it's not like I haven't bought a Sharp before. Great price, but after less than a week this went back - the picture was terrible, banding, uneven backlight, poor color, etc. Limited controls as well made it hard to really try to tune this set in - replaced it with a Samsung 450 on close-out for only $40 more - words can't describe the difference in the picture quality. Stay away from this TV!
post #113 of 141 Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I've never called a TV a piece of junk, but that's what this is. Bought one last week despite a feeling that I wouldn't be happy after reading about all of the issues that Sharp has had with quality during the past year. Replacing on older Sharp 4:3 LCD so it's not like I haven't bought a Sharp before. Great price, but after less than a week this went back - the picture was terrible, banding, uneven backlight, poor color, etc. Limited controls as well made it hard to really try to tune this set in - replaced it with a Samsung 450 on close-out for only $40 more - words can't describe the difference in the picture quality. Stay away from this TV!

Do what he says.
This TV is CRAP.
Spend the extra 20-100USD and get a better TV!
post #114 of 141 Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Wondering if there's any audio calibration available. If any one got some set up for Audio, please post. Thanks

Yeah, buy a 2.1 speaker set. There is no way to get decent sound out of the built-in speakers no matter what.

For anyone who has ghosting/smearing/image retention problems, try going to the advanced options and turn off all noise reduction options. I had a similar problem with a Sony LCD and noise reduction was the cause for all that.
post #115 of 141 Old 03-12-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

Yeah, buy a 2.1 speaker set. There is no way to get decent sound out of the built-in speakers no matter what.

But don't you have to buy an amp or a/v receiver to do that?
post #116 of 141 Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

But don't you have to buy an amp or a/v receiver to do that?

You can hook up the TV's audio out to a computer speaker system through a simple adapter cable.
post #117 of 141 Old 03-13-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang023 View Post

You can hook up the TV's audio out to a computer speaker system through a simple adapter cable.

that's interesting.

do you happened to have any link to these adapters?
post #118 of 141 Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

post #119 of 141 Old 03-14-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks, i think i might have something like that lying around. i believe it might have came with the sound card i bought a while ago. didn't know what it was for then.
post #120 of 141 Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 AM

I have had this tv for about 6 weeks now. No problems, no complaints. It is mounted to the wall in our bedroom and gets watched by me every night, and the kids almost every day. I have it hooked to a directv hd box, and the display looks fairly good for a $399 television. It does not have any problems with the input set to 1080i either.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page