Official Sharp 720p LC32SB21U / LC32SB220U / LC32SB23U TV thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 141 Old 11-08-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm seeing random recommendation threads with this television mentions numerous times. I think it's time to start its own thread.

The manual lists these three televisions as the same. I suspect the LC32SB24U is the same as well because their manuals are the same and the only cosmetic difference is the grill color in front of the speakers.

This is not an AQUOS TV.

Here are the description and features:
Quote:

With screen size of 32" Class (31-1/2" Diagonal), the LC-32SB21U offers high performance at a top value. With a 16:9 aspect ratio, HDTV resolution of 1366 x 768 and fine color purity, it is a next-generation TV to carry you into the high-definition future. The LC-32SB21U utilizes Sharp’s proprietary Advanced Super View/Black TFT Panel providing 7500:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, 6ms response time and wide viewing angles (176°H x 176°V). It is an HDTV with built-in ATSC / QAM / NTSC tuners and includes 2 HDMI™ and 2 HD component video inputs as well as a D-sub, 15-pin input for PC compatibility. The LC-32SB21U features a black cabinet and the included table stand easily removes for wall mounting applications.

Features:
*Screen Size: 32" (31.5" Diagonal)
*Aspect Ratio: 16:9
*Resolution: 1366 x 768
*Contrast Ratio: 1500:1 (native), 7500:1 (dynamic)
*Brightness: 450 cd/m2
*Response Time: 6ms
*Viewing Angles (HxV): 176° x 176°
*Tuner:NTSC/ATSC/QAM
*Table Stand Included, removable
*Weight: 29.8 lbs (w/ stand), 25.4 lbs (w/ out stand)
*Dimensions: 30.56” x 22.64” x 9.06” (w/ stand), 30.56” x 20.59” x 3.7” (w/ out stand)

Audio:
*Speakers: 10W + 10W

Inputs/ Outputs:
*HDMI™ Input x2
*HD Component Input x2
*S-Video Input 4-pin DIN x1
*Composite Video Input (A/V) RCA x2
*RGB D-Sub (PC) Input 15-pin x1
*Audio Inputs RCA L/R x4
*Digital Audio Outputs x1

Some additions on the input/output list:
*One of the inputs is a combination composite and component. The TV will auto-sense which connection type you use for it.
*One of the HDMI connections has stereo RCA input along with it in case the HDMI connection is video-only.
*There is a 3.5" audio jack input along with the D-Sub/VGA input.
*There is a stereo RCA audio output.
*There is no video-out or 3.5"/headphone out.

I own had the 21U. It's not the best TV in the world, but for the price I got it, it's alright.

Standard def analog channels look good. There is very faint static over everything not white or black, but there are filters in the advanced picture options to tone that way down. It's not a blurry mess like I thought it would look. The motion blur is very low and it doesn't distract me.

Digital and HD channels look great. There is an option to view full screen (aka dot-by-dot) for 16:9 HD channels as well as a Stretch option to zoom in the picture a little bit to hide the crap that some channels leave on the borders sometimes. Again, the motion blur is very low and is not distracting. Sometimes the OSD will glitch up if you switch from a SD analog to HD, but it's not harmful. One nice thing about this TV is that the view setting for analog/digital 4:3 and HD 16:9 are separate, so you don't have to switch between stretch and sidebar all the time.

In the picture options, you can adjust the usual options. There is a gimmick in this TV called Optical Picture Control, or OPC, that dims or brightens the backlight depending on how much light hits a light sensor next to the remote sensor. It doesn't seem to improve the picture that much and I left it off. In the advanced options, it's possible to change the hue and saturation of 6 main colors. There is also options for DNR, Active Contrast, Color Temp, Film Mode, and 3D Y/C (minimizes dot crawl in composite or analog video).

The colors on the screen don't turn purple or super-bright white when you view it at an angle. However, the video does seem to lose a little color intensity at wide angles.

One rare but bad thing that I experienced was that the TV would reset itself if I turned on the TV and tries to tune to a HD channel. I don't know why it does that or why it doesn't happen all the time. If it keeps doing this, I may have to return the TV.

If it matters, the screen is matte and the case is glossy.

There are separate video and audio options for each input as well as the pre-set video options of Dynamic, Standard, Movie, and Game. As far as I can tell, Game only dims the picture a bit, blurs up the screen and does not speed up the response time unlike other TVs with a Game mode.

The speakers are not suitable for loud volume. At a low volume, there are no problems, but at a high volume, something around the speakers vibrate at certain frequencies. There is very little bass in the TV's speakers, even with Bass Boost turned on in the audio options. Fortunately, I had a spare set of 2.1 computer speakers and hooked them up to the audio output of the TV.

I tested out random computer resolutions on the TV with my computer and a DVI-to-HDMI cable. If the resolution has between 480 and 768 vertical lines, the screen can be viewed in dot-by-dot mode, along with stretch and zoom options. For resolutions between 768 and 1080 vertical lines, the viewing options are the same as a HD 1080i channel, which are Stretch, Full Screen, Smart Stretch, and Zoom. One odd thing I found is that when the resolution is 1920x1080 at 30Hz, the TV displayed the video fine, but when it was set at the same resolution but at 60Hz, the TV displayed an error saying unsupported format or something like that. I have no idea if this means that it does or doesn't support 1080p signals as I don't have anything that outputs 1080p.

I also tested out the VGA port of the TV with a HD tuner with a VGA port. On all resolutions, I noticed "vibrating ribs" on top of the video. I'll check the port with my computer later to see if the vibration is the cause the TV or the box I used.

The B word... I don't see it for sure. Sometimes I think I see banding, but it's very faint and it's when I have the settings at a super-low brightness and backlight for night viewing. In normal settings, it's nowhere to be seen.

The remote feels good in the hand and the button layout is clear. One bad thing is that there is a small amount of time to enter in a channel manually. Also, switching between channels takes between one to two seconds.

If you have this TV, I'm curious to know what picture settings you have for the tuner and DVD viewing. I'm having a tough time getting the right settings for DVD movies. I either have the black too bright or everything else not bright enough.

Also, post if you own it and love it, hate it, have problems, or have no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 11-08-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
this set suffers from banding issues, sorry.
post #3 of 141 Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I found another problem with the set. Sometimes, 1080i broadcasts aren't deinterlaced and comb lines become visible. Also, there was backlight leakage on the bottom half-inch of the screen.

The TV once again turned itself off, then on after I turned it on. I had enough and returned it.
post #4 of 141 Old 11-28-2008, 10:02 AM

This set is NOT the same as LC32SB24U. Lots of luck finding specs from Sharp. The manual also does not show response time, or contrast ratio.
The only spec I could find was on WalMart's info tag, below the boxed sets. (The ......24U on display is 7500 dynamic contrast ratio). The info tag for the......23U says a 1000 contrast ratio.

I bought the cheaper one, believing the clerk, that they were the same.
It is going back to the store, as soon as the "black Friday" nonsense is over.

It has a BAD picture, (lingering horiz. lines, blurs, etc.),and VERY poor sound.

Don't be "had", like me...go for a Samsung or Sony.
post #5 of 141 Old 12-01-2008, 06:29 PM

Ok I have this TV and I have going thru the channel programing but I'm not getting any of the local HD broadcast stations what am I doing wrong?
post #6 of 141 Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenzog View Post

It has a BAD picture, (lingering horiz. lines, blurs, etc.),and VERY poor sound.

Don't be "had", like me...go for a Samsung or Sony.

I bought this tv before black friday and I'm having the same problems with the picture on some channels. Mostly the lingering horiz. lines. I thought it might be my cable signal. I'm leaning on returning it for the same priced Sony at wal-mart.
post #7 of 141 Old 12-04-2008, 01:22 AM

Well I decided to keep the Sharp for now. My roomate experiences the same picture problem sometimes on his 42" Aquos hooked up to a cox hd-dvr box. We concluded it is the incoming signal that is the problem. The tv PQ looks terrific and besides, the sony at Wal-Mart went back up to regular price.
post #8 of 141 Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM

Just bought this tv. Picture looks great, I'm pretty happy with this addition for the bedroom after I started with a 37" Auquos for the living room.

The only issue I have is that I tried to connect our extra DVD player up to this TV on input 2. If I connect the sterio audio rca cables in it takes about 10-15 seconds before I hear sound and then the video never comes in. The video never comes in period. I've tried every possible combination between the 2 audio cables (red and white) and the video cable (yellow) and the inputs on the back of the tv.

If anyone has encountered this same problem of sound but never any video and figured out what the problem is, I would love an answer.
post #9 of 141 Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 PM

Hello all! Newbie here.

I just set up a new LC32SB23U from Wally World and I am happy with it but one exception.
The channel display keeps popping up in the upper-right corner of the screen.
The TV is connected to a cable box by a coax to the antenna/cable in jack.
I change channels by the box but that "channel 3" display keeps popping up randomly while watching TV.
Sometimes it will go for quite a while without popping up, then it could pop up frequently in a short time.

This is my first LCD, just now stepping up from ancient technology, and I'm connecting the cable box & TV the same way as my old set.

Is it possible that the TV is not getting an adequate signal from the box?
Any suggestions?
post #10 of 141 Old 12-09-2008, 02:13 PM

Hey I think my sharp was doing the same thing last right, where the channel and audio information kept showing up at the upper right hand corner.
post #11 of 141 Old 12-13-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoore1025 View Post

Hey I think my sharp was doing the same thing last right, where the channel and audio information kept showing up at the upper right hand corner.

I have JVC TV that does this as well.

Any word on if this TV is produced by a cheaper third party with the "Sharp" logo slapped on?
post #12 of 141 Old 12-16-2008, 04:15 AM

Sharp LC32SB23U.......For all you who have bought this TV from Wal-Mart within the last 90 days and for those of you in the market for an inexpensive LCD, it is in this weeks ad for $398.00. I bought this TV Nov 25th and went back to Wal-Mart Sunday morning with my reciept and got $108.00 back. I'm in Las Vegas so check your local ad. This turned out to be a great TV for me and now I love it even more because of the price drop. SWEET!
post #13 of 141 Old 12-17-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredness View Post

Sharp LC32SB23U.......For all you who have bought this TV from Wal-Mart within the last 90 days and for those of you in the market for an inexpensive LCD, it is in this weeks ad for $398.00. I bought this TV Nov 25th and went back to Wal-Mart Sunday morning with my reciept and got $108.00 back. I'm in Las Vegas so check your local ad. This turned out to be a great TV for me and now I love it even more because of the price drop. SWEET!

I picked this set up today for that price as a Christmas present for my nephew. I purchased the $457 32" Vizio they carry last week so I need to decide which to keep. I calibrated both sets with a HD test disc and have found the Sharp better in all areas except detail. The Vizio is much more detailed and has more wow factor to an untrained eye. Unfortunately, the added detail of the Vizio comes at a price. Even at it's lowest sharpness setting the Vizio has nasty ringing. My nephew is not a videophile so I don't know which set to keep. He will be using it for blu-ray, ps3 and xbox 360. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks,
Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #14 of 141 Old 12-19-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

He will be using it for blu-ray, ps3 and xbox 360. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks,
Tom

I use my Sharp mostly for gaming on Xbox 360. The picture is great and even impressed my roommate who is a Pro Home Theater installer. It also didn't hurt that he calibrated the set for me. Bottom line, I would go with the Sharp but that is a biased opinion. I hear Vizio makes a good LCD so I don't think you'll go wrong either way.
post #15 of 141 Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 AM

Is there anyone here that has calibrated their LC32SB23U mind posting their settings for me? My co-worker just bought one, and I would like to give her something to go on other than the defaults.
post #16 of 141 Old 12-19-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm surprised that I haven't heard more about this TV. Every place that I go who has this TV is usually sold out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith Grove View Post

I change channels by the box but that "channel 3" display keeps popping up randomly while watching TV.
Sometimes it will go for quite a while without popping up, then it could pop up frequently in a short time.

This is my first LCD, just now stepping up from ancient technology, and I'm connecting the cable box & TV the same way as my old set.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoore1025 View Post

The channel display shows up every time the TV detects a change in the channel's audio between stereo and mono. A religious channel in my area has this problem switching between mono and stereo all the time. This also occurs when the channel's reception is weak.
post #17 of 141 Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripdshirt View Post

Is there anyone here that has calibrated their LC32SB23U mind posting their settings for me? My co-worker just bought one, and I would like to give her something to go on other than the defaults.

Since the sets are very similar, I posted what I'm using right now. It's not right, I know that, but it's closer than what it was out of the box and seems to give a nice pop to the colors while keeping things somewhat in balance:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15310762
post #18 of 141 Old 12-20-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Hello all! Newbie here.

I just set up a new LC32SB23U from Wally World and I am happy with it but one exception.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem and when I hooked up the HDDVR with RCA cables the problem went away!! I hope this helps
post #19 of 141 Old 12-20-2008, 06:12 PM

I had the same problem and when I hooked up the HDDVR with RCA cables the problem went away!! I hope this helps
post #20 of 141 Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Hello all! Newbie here.

Any suggestions?

post #21 of 141 Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 PM

post #22 of 141 Old 12-21-2008, 06:25 AM

I fixed this problem by taking my dvd composite cable(red white,yellow) and hooking it up to my comcast digital cable box then hooking up the other end to input 1 (red,white,yellow).Make sure to change your tv input to input 1.My cable box kept shutting off,so I left the coaxial cable hooked up which I think tricked the box into thinking it was hooked up to coaxial..

Anyway,the purple box went away and the cable box stayed on and the picture is even brighter and more crisp.
post #23 of 141 Old 12-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

The channel display shows up every time the TV detects a change in the channel's audio between stereo and mono. A religious channel in my area has this problem switching between mono and stereo all the time. This also occurs when the channel's reception is weak.

Thanks for the info, Louie!

I've also noticed the mono/stereo indicator switching back & forth when this happens.
Could it still be just a reception issue, and could there be a better way of connecting my cable box to the TV other than the coax cable to the antenna in jack?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the other advice right away. Thanks for the input, ya'll! I give it a try.
post #24 of 141 Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripdshirt View Post

My roommate fixed these settings for me and they look good to me so I haven't touched them.

Picture:
OPC: Off
Backlight: +4
Contrast: +27
Brightness: +8
Color: +1
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +4

Advanced
Color temp: Middle
Active Contrast: On
Film mode: off
Digital Noise Reduction: Low
3D-Y/C: Standard

I have cox cable connected directly to the T.V. (no box). I also have my Xbox 360 connected thru HDMI set at 720p, Reference Levels: Expanded, and HDMI Color Space: Source. I hope this provides a good starting point for you.
post #25 of 141 Old 12-26-2008, 09:30 AM

Thx for everyone's help!
post #26 of 141 Old 12-28-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredness View Post

My roommate fixed these settings for me and they look good to me so I haven't touched them.

Picture:
OPC: Off
Backlight: +4
Contrast: +27
Brightness: +8
Color: +1
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +4

Advanced
Color temp: Middle
Active Contrast: On
Film mode: off
Digital Noise Reduction: Low
3D-Y/C: Standard

I have cox cable connected directly to the T.V. (no box). I also have my Xbox 360 connected thru HDMI set at 720p, Reference Levels: Expanded, and HDMI Color Space: Source. I hope this provides a good starting point for you.

Thanks Fredness ... I got this last week for $399 used some old Wally credits I had for 9 months just a screen for my office... Your settings look pretty sweet... it is no 1080p but for under $4 bills it seems good to me..

This system gets thumbs up... plays all my Divx stuff better than my Plasma 50 inch.. (orit looks better less grainy...
post #27 of 141 Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 AM

You are welcome. Glad the settings are to your liking.
post #28 of 141 Old 12-30-2008, 08:39 PM

So I have found an issue with my hardware/ the new Sharp..

I used a budget mobo to build a htpc, quad AMD 9750 4 GB RAm.. No Digital output, the grfx card I have has no Audio for HDMI output so I am without volume... oh no.. Idea's

The TV does not allow you to select a separate audio signal that i can find...

Mobo is an ECS A740 GM-M .. Any idea's
post #29 of 141 Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTambo View Post

So I have found an issue with my hardware/ the new Sharp..

I used a budget mobo to build a htpc, quad AMD 9750 4 GB RAm.. No Digital output, the grfx card I have has no Audio for HDMI output so I am without volume... oh no.. Idea's

The TV does not allow you to select a separate audio signal that i can find...

Mobo is an ECS A740 GM-M .. Any idea's

You will need a 3.5" headphone to stereo RCA cable such as this one:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 . The headphone part goes to the green audio port on the motherboard.

Hook up the HDMI cable to INPUT 5 (the top HDMI port). Then input the stereo RCA cables to the 3.5" headphone to stereo RCA cable, and input the other end of the RCA cables to the audio inputs that are to the left of the HDMI ports. Switch to INPUT 5 on the TV and this will get you audio to go along with video-only HDMI.
post #30 of 141 Old 12-31-2008, 10:32 AM

So far I'm really liking this TV (lc32sb220u) but I may be having an issue.

Could all you who have this set, Post here how your TV powers up?

When I turn on the TV... the green light comes on then it takes about 10 seconds and the input box (top right corner) pops up and the screen turns on. When turning off... it also takes about 10 seconds and then you can hear a click inside.

Thanks
RD
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page