Sharp LC52D85U Opinions - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 141 Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried doing the update, but for some reason, it was not able to find the file. I think my TV may already have the latest firmware, since I got it right around the time the new version was released -- so that could explain the inability to do the update. I tried checking the current version, but, strangely, the "Digital Setup" menu on my TV lacks the "Identification" option. Anyone else run into this? I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong menu or something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'll give you an opinion on this TV:DO NOT BUY IT

I bought one of these at Best Buy, got it home and all setup, thought the picture looks AWESOME, wasnt super excited about the black levels (coming from a 50" plasma) but thought it looked awesome.

Watched a few movies, everything was great, I loved it.

then...

I was watching Conan and over the talking...I hear it... "...zzzzzzzz...."

the freakin tv sounded like a old garage florescent lamp

I brought it back to Best Buy immediately and exchanged it for another one...got it home, set it up, same problem.

The first one i found the noise went away at 100% brightness (+16 from what I remember)

The second was was constant regardless (less noisy at -5 though)

Enough with that crap. I even exchanged and went with 54" panny plasma.

So glad I did.

a 'display' should not 'sound'
post #123 of 141 Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM

I recently purchased my new Sharp LC-52D85U. Actually it's an LC-52D85UN, but I'm not sure what difference the "N" makes. I picked this particular model because the consensus of hundreds of reviews was good, plus I got a KILLER deal at Best Buy.

The best things about this LCD are obviously the picture quality AND the overal acreage. This thing is massive! Football never looked so good. The biggest drawback for me and my setup is that there is one too few low-res inputs. If only the composites didn't have to share the same inputs with the components. There are lots of HDMI's, though - 5 of them!

I was very pleasantly surprised to discover the picture was very nearly optimal straight out of the box. I ran the full calibration routine on it with a colorometer and HCFR and it only needed a few small tweaks. As mentioned in numerous reviews, the audio is nothing spectacular. This certainly isn't unique to Sharps. I just don't use the onboard audio on either of my LCD TV's. Some reviews also mentioned a banding issue with this particular model and its 46" brother. Mine exhibits no banding whatsoever with any type of program material under any lighting conditions.

Overall, I've just gotta say "Well done, Sharp!"
post #124 of 141 Old 09-14-2009, 03:42 PM

Liked: 11
I'm seriously considering the LC52D85U. I bought the LC46D85U last year and returned it due to some terrible banding. BB now has this TV for cheap and willing to jump on it. This TV will be used primarily for the Xbox and a computer monitor.

I ultimately would like to get the Samsung LN52B750, but the price never seems to dip below 2k.

Does the 52 inch exhibit the same color banding as the 46?
post #125 of 141 Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovel2clock View Post

- I don't have color banding on my set, but unfortunately that doesn't mean that the set you buy will not have it.
post #126 of 141 Old 09-15-2009, 06:47 AM

I picked up my 85U last night a BB...couldn't pass up 36mo interest free...HOLLAR! Should have the baby mounted in time for the next slate of NFL games...
post #127 of 141 Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovel2clock View Post

I'm seriously considering the LC52D85U. I bought the LC46D85U last year and returned it due to some terrible banding. BB now has this TV for cheap and willing to jump on it. This TV will be used primarily for the Xbox and a computer monitor.

I ultimately would like to get the Samsung LN52B750, but the price never seems to dip below 2k.

it is always depends on luck ~ if it is your unlucky day, you may get the faulty set in-a-box, you just have to waste more time to send back for an exchange. so far i am happy samsung owner and i still stick to samsung LCD, plasma and computer monitor. for almost the same price you may consider LN52B550 in your list http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52B550-52-Inch-1080p-Touch/dp/B001U3Y8PY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253032105&sr=1-2
post #128 of 141 Old 09-17-2009, 01:06 PM

Ok guys, I just bought a LC52D85u. Got a great deal on it so couldn't resist. I got a display model with "BacklightAcutime 3214hr" and "Center Acutime 6H 30M" (can someone explain to me what "Center Acutime" is? )

Question -
I had a few 52" sets before - Sony XBR4, XBR6, W and Samsung A650..

How do I get this sharp to produce a picture similar to those guys? The default (dynamic fixed) was just horrible. The picture on HD source was too grainy. I was shocked how bad it was. It took me a while to figure out how to change it. The Standard and Movie are OK, but nowhere near the quality of the other sets I had. I have not done any tweaking yet, but out of the box this set is far inferior to the above..

I understand that every set is different. sony's VIVID mode is also not the best, but their STANDARD is excellent. I gave up on tweaking and used STANDARD with my sony sets. Samsung - I didn't even have time (bother) to tweak it. This sharp has to be tweaked. I'm assuming that people who write raving reviews about this set either had it calibrated or never saw a competing model right next to it (or both).

Can someone please point me in the right direction. I want to be able to see the details in the dark areas. I don't expect it to be like XBR or A650, but I'd like to push it as far as I can. There are a number of posts about different sharp models, but if I could get direct links I'd really appreciate it. I tried a couple settings (cnet and ultimateavmag) but not impressed with either one. I guess I'm looking for something like STANDARD on sony

Also, is there a firmware update for LC-52D85u or not? Some info online suggests that there's (including last post on page 4), but while sharpUSA side is not fully operational right now, sharp.ca site doesn't list any updates for LC-52D85u. My firmware version is U0809091. If there's an update, can someone elaborate on what it fixes? Also, is the latest update cumulative or do i need to install all updates one at a time?

I'm not happy with what I've seen so far. The only thing that seem to look slightly better (less noisy) on this set are the SD channels, although I have not watched enough SD to be sure. I know sometimes the same SD channel looks great, but other times it looked pretty grainy on my other sets, but so far, after watching them for a few hours they do seem a bit cleaner then sony\\samsungs (good for ppl who don't want to pay extra for HD box)

Thanks.
post #129 of 141 Old 12-01-2009, 01:18 AM

I'm thinking about getting this set and have a few questions for current owners.

1) What is the size of the LCD panel itself? This will be going on a metal shelf unit that has metal poles running the height of it on all 4 corners. I'm thinking the width of the panel will just barely be within the 2 front poles, but I want to be sure. I already know that the bezel will stick out pass the poles, but that is not a big deal for me.

2) I noticed one person mentioning this working well with a PC hooked to an HDMI input which is good. Has anyone tried the VGA input? I have a few computers running through a VGA KVM switch, and am wondering how well the VGA input works, particularly with non-native resolutions. Also, does anyone has any experience with older SGI/Sun workstations with sync-on-green or composite sync using this as a monitor?

3) How is SD content on this TV? I'm currently using an Olevia 747i, so I know I'm spoiled with the Realta HQV on it. I don't find myself watching much SD content anymore, so it's less of an issue at this point. I know this TV will not be as good at the 747i, but how much worse is it? Is it at least watchable?

I plan on giving the 747i to my mother, as I'd like to keep it in the family. Plus, she will still be watching a fair share of SD content, and I know the Realta HQV will make her happy for that.

Thanks!
post #130 of 141 Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM

Anyone experience clouding with this tv??????????? is there a fix??????????
post #131 of 141 Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Anyone who had this tv can you please help me.

Do you use the fine motion enhanced option?
Film mode is set to what for you when you watch blu ray?
When I have it off the pic judders. With it on the frame rate of the movie seems to move faster than intended.

Help. Can I get a better picture with movie mode on instead of standard or user?
post #132 of 141 Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- The reason you can't adjust those settings is because the Sharp 85U actually goes into a 96Hz mode (4:4) when displaying 24fps material like BluRay movies. So you can't adjust the display settings that are only applied to to 30fps and 60fps material.

Considering this^^^^ If I am watching a blu ray via a PS3, and I can adjust the Movie mode from off to adv. low to adv high. What do I use? With it off the pq looks good but it suffers from judder.

With it on it looks like a documentary film. Does Fine motion enhance do anything????????? My eyes tell me no. Should I try a different AV setting to lesson the strange look it gives me?

HELP.
post #133 of 141 Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 PM

If you are considering this 52" Sharp, it is now on sale at Dell.com for under a $1,000.
post #134 of 141 Old 02-07-2010, 05:31 AM

This deal has been tempting me for a long time now! It seems that the plasmas are having big problems this year & LEDs are at least a few years off from being perfected & coming down in price to these levels....
You could probably buy this TV now AND a perfected LED\\Plasma in 3 years for a total of $2000 vs buying a LED now at $2000

PS3 Screenname Tunaman4u2 for COD MW2 & TigerWoods 11
post #135 of 141 Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Hey guys,

If I have roughly a $1000 budget for a TV and want to buy a flat screen and have been holding out for a "slick deal", would this TV be the "deal to get"? Or do you think there will be a better deal for perhaps a bigger screen at some point if I'm more patient? I must spend my budgeted money carefully!
post #136 of 141 Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any opinions on how good of a deal this is?
post #137 of 141 Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Is the 10,000:1 dynamic contrast good enough?
post #138 of 141 Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil View Post

Is the 10,000:1 dynamic contrast good enough?

I don't go by those arbitrary numbers. There are hobbyists in here who know about video and should be able to tell me if this sale is worth pulling the trigger on. I have no idea which TV is best for my $1000 budget.
post #139 of 141 Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Liked: 11
TigerDirect has what appears to be a super deal on the LC-52D85U

(1100+50ship)
post #140 of 141 Old 04-03-2010, 12:02 AM

I'm having issues connecting my home theater system. It works for my cable but I can't get my Wii to play through the home theater...only through the t.v. speakers. Anyone have any help...and if so, thanks!
post #141 of 141 Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Anybody else have some opinions on this set? I'm between either this set or the Toshiba 52XV645U or Toshiba 55ZV650U
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page