Official Sony XBR7 owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 384 Old 11-18-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

I have done a lot of searching and although there is some dialog about the XBR7 on some of the other threads, there really isn't a thread on this model specifically.

I bought a 40" one this Saturday, and I am very happy with the purchase. I was comparing it to the XBR6, but I really liked the look of the side-mount speakers, and I couldn't afford the XBR8.

This is my first flat panel purchase. I have been saving for a long time!

Anyone else out there who owns one? I'd love to discuss calibration settings. I found that with the full black screen of the menu and in SD broadcasts, I can see grey clouding on the sides. This is only apparent after the set has been on for a few hours and is warm. I reduced the backlighting from 9 to 6 and that seemed to mostly take care of it, but since I work next to the store where I bought it, I asked the salesman who helped me out about it today. He suggested that is has inconsistent backlighting and that I should exchange it because the problem could get worse. I'll probably do that this weekend so I don't have to leave it in my car at work...

It is totally fine in full HD broadcasts - just when there is a black "nothing" on the screen like the menu.

Other threads have discussed this issue. Apparently it is pretty common.

Sound and picture otherwise are great. Our room is shallow and very wide. Viewing from the sides is no problem at all. Plus our old TV had serious glare problems in the afternoon. This one has none of that.

I'll post a photo of it tomorrow.

Love to chat with other XBR7 owners...

-Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 384 Old 11-18-2008, 03:30 PM

Nice, seems that you are the first official XBR7 owner of this forum.

I'm still not sure If I should get the 40"XBR7 or 46"XBR6. I will mainly use it for gaming and HTPC so blur-reduction is a must for me.

I'm waiting for your photos and more info from different owners.
post #3 of 384 Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 PM

Since I have seen a lot of problems with the xbr6, and I do like the look of the 40xbr7, I am undecided about what to buy. I find the 40xbr7 too expensive at this point, but I am glad someone created this thread to follow the discussion of this particular model.
post #4 of 384 Old 11-19-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 149
FWIW: barring any unforseen circumstances, I'm drooling over the potential of the 240hz 52"...just not the price. I figure it'll be out in a few weeks and if I'm in love I can grab one discounted before opening day. Good luck to u new 40" owners!
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #5 of 384 Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestesdd View Post

Since I have seen a lot of problems with the xbr6, and I do like the look of the 40xbr7, I am undecided about what to buy. I find the 40xbr7 too expensive at this point, but I am glad someone created this thread to follow the discussion of this particular model.

I do need to know more about the xbr7 and read more feed backs here to see if I change my mind. For now, I stick with my decision to buy the 40xbr6 due to the expensive price of the 40xbr7.
post #6 of 384 Old 11-19-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos of the TV. You can really see the clouding after the TV has been on for a few hours. I also haven't removed
the plastic wrapping from the base or the black frame, because I'm definitely taking it back for a replacement.

Other than this concern, I love everything about the TV. The sound is excellent, and the picture is great.

I ordered the Blu-ray of Wall-E. When I get that, I'll put some better photos up with the replacement set.

For those of you on the fence re: XBR6 vs. XBR7. I liked the side-speakers better, but I hear your concerns. I was trying
to make the same choice myself, but the better processing features won me over on the 7. I can understand
why the 6 would be a more attractive option re: pricing.

- Jon
post #7 of 384 Old 11-19-2008, 07:30 PM

hi....i have 52xbr6. when i put on i also see same thing like one in the last picture (clouding). when on the second day its when out... i did't see any thing like that.. so try to break-in or burn in test. run more movie so that the lcd light become more use.. that they when out to the factory... hope its help... thanks
post #8 of 384 Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 PM

I wonder why these sony's have such bad clouding... I know its no where near as prevelant as when I was trying to buy a v2500 a couple of years ago, but damn, you would think that sony would get on samsungs case for continually having these problems (samsung is still making them for sony right?)
post #9 of 384 Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpenner View Post

Here are some photos of the TV. You can really see the clouding after the TV has been on for a few hours. I also haven't removed
the plastic wrapping from the base or the black frame, because I'm definitely taking it back for a replacement.

Other than this concern, I love everything about the TV. The sound is excellent, and the picture is great.

I ordered the Blu-ray of Wall-E. When I get that, I'll put some better photos up with the replacement set.

For those of you on the fence re: XBR6 vs. XBR7. I liked the side-speakers better, but I hear your concerns. I was trying
to make the same choice myself, but the better processing features won me over on the 7. I can understand

- Jon

Wow that is some SERIOUS clouding. Just curious,what mode did you use in order to see how bad clouding is? Id like to check my Z to see if its bad. Do you just put it in vivid mode or just bump backlight all the way up? also,i understand you like the XBR7 more than XBR6 because of BE2:EX but I read in the description of it that all the EX engine does is upscale 480i content to give it better detail. Besides for that,everything from 480p-1080p should look the same wether its a BE2 EX or just BE2. Are you sure a 1080p bluray looks better on the 7 than the 6? If so,i wonder what would be the cause for that?
post #10 of 384 Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
jcc
AVS Special Member

The 52" version has the speakers on the bottom, right? AND it offers 240hz. I will see if it has better off viewing angle.

I'm an investment manager Jim, Not a doctor!
post #11 of 384 Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I did not know if 70XBR7 was available yet?
post #12 of 384 Old 11-20-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:

- Jon

Yet another problem with clouds. Right now I went to Sony Style near where I work, and I am still thinking about buying it at a discount. However, I plan to buy it online, and the mere thought to have to send this set back and forth because it has clouds makes me shiver down my spine. The cost discount savings that Sony Style is offering is not good enough for me to buy it at the Sony store, but I guess if something like this were to happen to my purchase, it would be a lot easier to deal with the store than with an online e-tailer. I hope you get your replacement soon and without too much hassle. Good luck! I will keep my eyes on this thread.

By the way, I do like the side speaker better and the fact that in the 40xbr7 model the speaker grills are black matching the set much better. In this case, my wife agrees with me all the way. :-)
post #13 of 384 Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Went back to the store today and returned the cloudy set.
Had no problems at all. I showed them my photos and they exchanged
it right away. The new one has been on for a few hours and is
plenty warm now. No clouding. Yea!

When I get the Wall-E blu-ray, I'll post some more photos.

- Jon
post #14 of 384 Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I did not know if 70XBR7 was available yet?

Yeah. If you have $20K!!! I have a hard time paying that much for a car, let alone a TV!
post #15 of 384 Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah. If you have $20K!!! I have a hard time paying that much for a car, let alone a TV!

I dont! can droll only on your investment lol congrats!
post #16 of 384 Old 11-20-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestesdd View Post

Yet another problem with clouds. Right now I went to Sony Style near where I work, and I am still thinking about buying it at a discount. However, I plan to buy it online, and the mere thought to have to send this set back and forth because it has clouds makes me shiver down my spine. The cost discount savings that Sony Style is offering is not good enough for me to buy it at the Sony store, but I guess if something like this were to happen to my purchase, it would be a lot easier to deal with the store than with an online e-tailer. I hope you get your replacement soon and without too much hassle. Good luck! I will keep my eyes on this thread.

By the way, I do like the side speaker better and the fact that in the 40xbr7 model the speaker grills are black matching the set much better. In this case, my wife agrees with me all the way. :-)

Yeah but dont forget the fact that the XBR6 is ALOT thinner. Its nearly as thin as the Z model,its only .4 inches thicker,whereas the XBR7 is alot thicker. Id say the most attractive design sony has made so far has to be the brushed metal Z.I got mine in black,but wish I got that one :\\
post #17 of 384 Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Went back to the store today and returned the cloudy set.
Had no problems at all. I showed them my photos and they exchanged
it right away. The new one has been on for a few hours and is
plenty warm now. No clouding. Yea!

When I get the Wall-E blu-ray, I'll post some more photos.

- Jon

how did you test the clouds like that on the xbr7. Did you just pump backlight all the way up on a black backround? or was that vivid mode?
post #18 of 384 Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

how did you test the clouds like that on the xbr7. Did you just pump backlight all the way up on a black backround? or was that vivid mode?

No, that was in Standard Mode. The photo taken for the thread had the backlighting set at 6. It was at 9 when I bought it. To crank it up higher made the clouding more noticeable. The empty screen photo where the clouding is most obvious was taken between the FBI piracy warning and the menu on a BD. Basically, whenever the screen went black, you could see it.

The clouding never showed up right away. It was only after the set had been on for a few hours.

- Jon
post #19 of 384 Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

mean no disrespect to any owners, but I honestly don't see the point of buying this TV. The only thing that makes it different is the 240 Hz. However, if motion is that important to you, why not just get Samsung 950. There is agreement that it effectively eliminates the motion blur issue. Plus it has the better blacks.

What makes things even stranger for me is 46" 950 is almost the same price.
post #20 of 384 Old 11-21-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

mean no disrespect to any owners, but I honestly don't see the point of buying this TV. The only thing that makes it different is the 240 Hz. However, if motion is that important to you, why not just get Samsung 950. There is agreement that it effectively eliminates the motion blur issue. Plus it has the better blacks.

What makes things even stranger for me is 46" 950 is almost the same price.

the point is the 52xbr7 240 Hz set isn't even out yet. so no one's buying. there are no owners yet. we're just waiting and hoping to see that the 240Hz actually makes a difference and what that difference will be.

TVbc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #21 of 384 Old 11-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

40 inches in the store looks small but once its in your room it looks huge lol i can only imagine what a 52 would look like in ym room.

To the owners how is the PQ?? better than the XBR6??! cuz if its the same i mine as well save some duckets and get the XBR6 cuz i want this or the XBR6 very very soon im sick of samsung been through about 7 of them and i just find them to have cheap build quality, tho a great PQ, the 7 i had all had dead pixels or some type of issue that i wasnt paying thousands of dollars for.
post #22 of 384 Old 11-21-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

No, that was in Standard Mode. The photo taken for the thread had the backlighting set at 6. It was at 9 when I bought it. To crank it up higher made the clouding more noticeable. The empty screen photo where the clouding is most obvious was taken between the FBI piracy warning and the menu on a BD. Basically, whenever the screen went black, you could see it.

The clouding never showed up right away. It was only after the set had been on for a few hours.

- Jon

Clouding usually shows up when you have the backlight settings up to high or when you turn the TV for the first time of the day because it hasn't warmed up. Your TV looked just fine in the image with 20th century fox but my guess the other pictures were taken later on. You should have the backlight setting to 2-3 for not only less power consumption but a better image and no more burning your eyes when a bright scene comes on at night.

PS. You can turn off the SONY logo in the settings menu.
post #23 of 384 Old 11-21-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

Clouding usually shows up when you have the backlight settings up to high or when you turn the TV for the first time of the day because it hasn't warmed up. Your TV looked just fine in the image with 20th century fox but my guess the other pictures were taken later on. You should have the backlight setting to 2-3 for not only less power consumption but a better image and no more burning your eyes when a bright scene comes on at night.

Thanks for the pointers. The clouding was there in the Fox logo screen. But because of the flash it isn't visible in the image.
I kind of like the lit Sony logo. But I will definitely try the backlight down to 2 or 3. Thanks!
post #24 of 384 Old 11-24-2008, 11:11 AM

so how do you like your XBR7 so far
post #25 of 384 Old 11-24-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Just finance the TV. Then when the bill comes see if you can jump on the goverment bailout program.
post #26 of 384 Old 11-24-2008, 04:07 PM

woah 240hz for the XBR7? this is the first ive heard of that. is it only on certain sizes? is it availble on the 55" XBR8. i must have an outdated Sony product guide book.
post #27 of 384 Old 11-24-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of an LCD? With the BL that low, the picture is very dim, dull, and the whites look gray.I always kept mine at 4-5, as anything lower than that made it hard to see shadow detail w/o bumping the brightness, which create a gray haze over the entire screen.

P.S. My set had bad pretty bad clouding, even with the BL at 4.
post #28 of 384 Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott View Post

Just finance the TV. Then when the bill comes see if you can jump on the goverment bailout program.

Haha. I think everyone has bailout overload lately..

Sorry to get off topic.

PSN-RacerRex

CT-100 settings courtesy of Da1writer
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=745
post #29 of 384 Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong6gtp View Post

woah 240hz for the XBR7? this is the first ive heard of that. is it only on certain sizes? is it availble on the 55" XBR8. i must have an outdated Sony product guide book.

As far as I know this is only available on the 52 inch model which isn't due out for a month or two.
post #30 of 384 Old 11-25-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefordgt40 View Post

so how do you like your XBR7 so far

Love it.

After the exchange, the new one has no clouding.

I've kept the backlighting set to 4 and it is still very bright - even during the with sunlight coming into the room.

Sound is crisp and full.

Picture is great.

Friends are coming over to watch a lot of football on weekends.

One thing I didn't expect was all the digital channels it found by itself. We downgraded to basic cable a few months ago to save money (ch 2-20 only), so we don't have a cable box. With the TV guide function, it found all the HD versions of our basic channels no problem. It also found all the digital music channels that we don't pay for and a few other channels that shouldn't be there according to our package. I was planning on upgrading to digital cable so I could get all the HD programming, but the TV found them, so that's not necessary for me.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page