VF550XVT Vizio 55" LCD TV - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 983 Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When are the new VF552XVT sets supposed to be available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 983 Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The last I heard, sometime in January.

By not releasing them in December, they are missing one of the two best selling times (the other being Super Bowl). They must have a good reason for this, and I applaud them for for not releasing this before its time and putting a buggy or poor design out there.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #963 of 983 Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 PM

i got one
post #964 of 983 Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
having no luck getting sound out of my CT-100 hooked up to my 550M. Anyone else? Thanks.

WAP 16.

post #965 of 983 Old 12-18-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Has anyone ever purchased (new) the 550XVT and have it come with bolts in the back of the set for wall mounting it?

I bought mine new about a two months ago. The TV does not come with the screws for attaching a wall/stand mount to it. I also bought a stand with built in mount. The stand came with a wide selection of screws to fit several brands of TV. A set of the screws that came with the stand were the correct size and thread count for the TV. Hope that helps
post #966 of 983 Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFlyer View Post

I bought mine new about a two months ago. The TV does not come with the screws for attaching a wall/stand mount to it. I also bought a stand with built in mount. The stand came with a wide selection of screws to fit several brands of TV. A set of the screws that came with the stand were the correct size and thread count for the TV. Hope that helps

I was just wondering because I bought one Black Friday directly from Vizio and it had mounting bolts in the back of it. You could tell they had been tightened, there were marks on the bolts. This was Not supposed to be a referb either.
post #967 of 983 Old 12-19-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a different model Vizio that I mounted. There were no mounting screws in the TV on mine, which I purchase locally brand new.

The stand I bought had a variety of mounting screws included. I ended up picking the right one for the set on the 1st try, so the others remain neatly locked in their plastic housing.

Might call Vizio about this. Sounds like the TV was either a return, display, or refurb. None of these spell "new".
post #968 of 983 Old 12-19-2009, 05:56 PM

Ours came with one mounting bolt and a length of cable so it could be tied to a wall for safety reasons ,say if you had small kids.. My guess is you got a demo model or something. George
post #969 of 983 Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George5D View Post

Ours came with one mounting bolt and a length of cable so it could be tied to a wall for safety reasons ,say if you had small kids.. My guess is you got a demo model or something. George

Mine all came with that but never mounting bolts. Vizio claims that they occasionally test sets and install bolts to check the thread pattern but usually don't leave them in. The set came with all the plastic protection on the bezel and it was perfect, no bubbles in it so it doesn't look like it was replaced. They gurantee that it is a new set, but upon the initial start up it didn't go through the set up, Home Mode, Store Mode, lanugage, channel scan etc. The set works perfect so i'm not sure what to make of it.

The other problem is, they are out of stock on these sets, they have even taken this model off their website.
post #970 of 983 Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Well, I took mine back to Sams today. I was watching a movie last night when I got a big line through the center of my screen.... So, I packed it up and swapped it for the 551. I will post later with my review.
post #971 of 983 Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 AM

I get that horizontal line in the very center of the screen once in a while, too. Maybe only for a few seconds an hour, but it is noticeable and distracting for its duration.

Frustrated, I set out to tweak some settings. I ended up lowering the screen noise setting to medium, and haven't seen it since. I don't know for sure if that was a direct correlation, but thought it worth reporting.

Frankly, I think little things like that and the dejudder halo effect are the reason this TV cost more than $1000 less than others, and I'm OK with that since its by and large functioning to my great satisfaction.
post #972 of 983 Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM-S View Post

I get that horizontal line in the very center of the screen once in a while, too. Maybe only for a few seconds an hour, but it is noticeable and distracting for its duration.

Frustrated, I set out to tweak some settings. I ended up lowering the screen noise setting to medium, and haven't seen it since. I don't know for sure if that was a direct correlation, but thought it worth reporting.

Frankly, I think little things like that and the dejudder halo effect are the reason this TV cost more than $1000 less than others, and I'm OK with that since its by and large functioning to my great satisfaction.

That line was strange, it was dead center when I was on 1080P, but if a changed the resolution on my PS3 to 720P the line moved 4 inches lower.... I tested the TV with 2 separate PS3's and 2 different cable and it was definately the TV. The new 551 is amazing.

I bought my 550 at Sams in Feb 2009. I took it back yesterday with the original box and materials (with the receipt). The people at Sams were so nice it was scary. They gladly accepted the returns, appologized for my inconvenience and let me apply my original purchase price towards the 551!! They did inform me that their new return policy is 90 days... SO, we discussed the best way to protect myself from further tv problems. I ended up getting a 4 year warranty for under $200. I upgraded my Sams club membership to PLUS. (which was 17 dollars -prorated) then bought the 2 year warranty. This will give me a 1 year Vizio, 2 years Sams, and an addtional 1 year for the plus.

If you have the 550, and your receipt, they will take it back. If you have a line in your screen you may want to think about returning it. The LED 551 is the same price that I paid for the 550 last year. (and it looks amazing)
post #973 of 983 Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM

My first post and boy is it going to be a good one. So I have had a Vizio for a little over 3 years now and have had nothing but problems with my newest set the 550xvt. This is my second 550 because the first one that Vizio sent me was "new" and turned out to be a refurbished item. How does something like that happen... I'll never know. The screen is beautiful for maybe 20 minutes after I turn it on, but all I get with the smooth motion OFF, not on because when it's on it makes the bad even worse, is pixelation and lag in my picture.

My question is are these televisions just filled with these problems? The repair tech that vizio sent left a little over an hour ago after replacing the main board and the video wires on the inside and already I can see the lag picking up and now it seems like one of my speakers isn't working properly. There is also now a green dot on the screen every now and then. I have pictures of what I mean by bad and I can post those up as well.

Sorry for the rant but this is my 3rd Vizio and every time that something is supposed to be fixed it is made worse. I barely use the damn thing and when I do all I have is problems that force me to do a power cycle.
post #974 of 983 Old 02-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrnZeppelin View Post

My first post and boy is it going to be a good one. So I have had a Vizio for a little over 3 years now and have had nothing but problems with my newest set the 550xvt. This is my second 550 because the first one that Vizio sent me was "new" and turned out to be a refurbished item. How does something like that happen... I'll never know. The screen is beautiful for maybe 20 minutes after I turn it on, but all I get with the smooth motion OFF, not on because when it's on it makes the bad even worse, is pixelation and lag in my picture.

My question is are these televisions just filled with these problems? The repair tech that vizio sent left a little over an hour ago after replacing the main board and the video wires on the inside and already I can see the lag picking up and now it seems like one of my speakers isn't working properly. There is also now a green dot on the screen every now and then. I have pictures of what I mean by bad and I can post those up as well.

Sorry for the rant but this is my 3rd Vizio and every time that something is supposed to be fixed it is made worse. I barely use the damn thing and when I do all I have is problems that force me to do a power cycle.

Just a guess, but is your TV connected via HDMI? Your problem sounds like poor signal, not an actual problem with the TV itself, and a defective HDMI cable will definitely cause the symptoms you describe. Been there, done that.

My VF550XVT was great, had no problems with it in the year I had it before swapping it with a VF551XVT.
post #975 of 983 Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Brand new hdmi cables from Vizio themselves. In all seriousness I will be trading this television in in the very near future for either the 551 or 2. All I have dealt with is problems in the television itself and I'm just tired of it. I would get another samsung but I'm not dealing with having my screen flicker and die a year and a half into ownership. I have such bad luck with flat panel televisions lol.
post #976 of 983 Old 02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I couldn't of written that any better. After owning the 52" Vizio for 2 1/2 years I purchased the 550XVT Black Friday. I had the set for a little over a week and couldn't take the jerky picture with smooth motion turned on and then the lips getting out of sync. They sent out a repair man to replace the main board. Same problems all over again. 3 weeks later sent out a new set. Same problems. Today delivered the 3rd set. I haven't had it long enough to evaluate it but I think this is something inherent with this set.

This was purchased directly from Vizio as a new set. A friend of mine also bought one black friday and when he got his there were wall mount bolts in the back of the set. When he turned it on it didn't start up with the usual language and channel set, it went directly to HDMI.

Vizio has assured me that these are new sets, and from the looks of them they certainly look new, but with mounting bolts in one? I don't think so.

I'll see if this one has the problem, it doesn't always start right away, it's like after a while the TV chokes on the signal and can't keep up. If this one doesn't work i'm giving up, I won't take another replacement.

I also have the 550M and it works perfect. Vizio tells me the XVT is the top of the line yet the M has more video adjustments in it, AND works good. I also have a 42XVT and that works good.

After reading your post at least I know it's not me or my system, it's got to be the TV.
post #977 of 983 Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Burner its the television system. The settings that are on the board are screwed right from the manufacturer. The way to fix it is to somehow get a copy of the firmware they place on there and modify the refresh rates. It does broadcast in 120hz.... but only for 1 or 2 seconds before it has that hiccup. Seeing as that vizio no longer sells this set I'm pretty sure support for it will soon die out. The repairman that just came for my unit replaced the cables on the inside with ones from a new set (maybe an M or a 551 possibly). I'll edit my post with pictures of the television doing it so everyone else can see how nasty it is.

The top image is a complete fluke. The fact that I got a picture of it as that green fuzz happened has to have odds of 1 in 1000. The lower picture is what happens maybe once a week. When it starts I have to unplug the TV and power cycle it.
post #978 of 983 Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Burner its the television system. The settings that are on the board are screwed right from the manufacturer. The way to fix it is to somehow get a copy of the firmware they place on there and modify the refresh rates. It does broadcast in 120hz.... but only for 1 or 2 seconds before it has that hiccup. Seeing as that vizio no longer sells this set I'm pretty sure support for it will soon die out. The repairman that just came for my unit replaced the cables on the inside with ones from a new set (maybe an M or a 551 possibly). I'll edit my post with pictures of the television doing it so everyone else can see how nasty it is.

The top image is a complete fluke. The fact that I got a picture of it as that green fuzz happened has to have odds of 1 in 1000. The lower picture is what happens maybe once a week. When it starts I have to unplug the TV and power cycle it.

I can't say I've had anything like that. My problem is with the smooth motion on the picture starts to jerk. If I turn it off and back on it's ok for a little bit. It's ok is I leave Smooth Motion off. Plus I have lip sync problems on a lot of stations and I can't correct it. The lip sync adjustment makes it worse, it needs to go the other way -0 but that's not an option. When i have this set on with any of my other sets I get a bad echo in the house. All of the other Vizios are in sync. They still have new sets available, the one I got yesterday is new, I'm quite sure of it. I would have them replace it again. I asked them if they could replace the main board with the M version and they said no.

A friend of mine has this set and he says his is fine. So go figure.....
post #979 of 983 Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

...Seeing as that vizio no longer sells this set I'm pretty sure support for it will soon die out....

Surprisingly, I was at my nearest Costco last weekend, and they had many of these, maybe twenty or so, on the sales floor. I know it was this model, because I own one. Anyway, I was surprised that they had manny of this model, and none of the newer one, at least I didn't see any of the newer model. If they are still sellng them, they have to be supporting them for some time. The were around $1400 or so. I paid $1500 for mine. The newer models are a bit more, if I remember, around $1850 maybe. The Smas Club prices are about the same.

For the record, I have had mine for about six months, and while I have seen some motion artifacts, I have not had any other problems with it. I really like it a lot. I'm sure the newer ones are better, but if I always waited for the next thing, I'd never have anything.

I use the POP feature so much, my wife commented recently that maybe it would have been better if I had just bought two 30 inch sets and put them side by side.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #980 of 983 Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 AM

Good morning,
I registered on this forum looking for some help on my 550. I bought it in March 2009 and hadn't had a hiccup until now.

The problem is that when I use the remote to change inputs, it just continuosly scrolls through all of the inputs kind of like if a key is stuck or something. Same thing happens when adjusting volume up or down. It either brings it all the way down or all the way up.

I thought it was an issue with the cable box remote I was using so I tried with the Vizio remote and got the same results. I put brand new batteries on both remotes with no success. If I change inputs or adjust volume on side of the TV itself it works fine.

I'm waiting to hear back from support on an email I sent them last night. Anyone experience something like this?
post #981 of 983 Old 08-21-2010, 02:10 AM

Here is a problem I am having with this model, purchased from Costco. I am hooked up to Comcast HD - Every maybe 3-4 days the volume goes up on its own a but and I lose picture and my Comcast remote loses functions for a few seconds, screen goes black and Vizio logo comes on. Then picture is back to normal and HDMI1 in the upper right displays. I contacted Vizio and they told me to do a unplug/reset which hasn't helped. My question is where is this problem, am I losing the HD signal or is the tv defective - any help greatly appreciated as I am still within the 90 days at Costco and can't really get a definitive answer from Vizio.
post #982 of 983 Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers001 View Post

Good morning,
I registered on this forum looking for some help on my 550. I bought it in March 2009 and hadn't had a hiccup until now.

The problem is that when I use the remote to change inputs, it just continuosly scrolls through all of the inputs kind of like if a key is stuck or something. Same thing happens when adjusting volume up or down. It either brings it all the way down or all the way up.

I thought it was an issue with the cable box remote I was using so I tried with the Vizio remote and got the same results. I put brand new batteries on both remotes with no success. If I change inputs or adjust volume on side of the TV itself it works fine.

I'm waiting to hear back from support on an email I sent them last night. Anyone experience something like this?

I had exact same problem for about 15 min.Called V support and went thru everything.Sent me a new remote.By the time phone call was over,it stopped malfunctioning.Hasn't happened again.If remote didnt fix,a repairman was to be sent out.

WAP 16.

post #983 of 983 Old 08-27-2010, 08:51 AM

Hey guy's
I have found (sometimes) We get a jerky picture only if i set the cinema and smooth motion is set to high.. I leave cinema mode off most of the time and set the smooth motion to low or med we find best. I also set the noise reduction to low.. Our set is the 55" 550XVT..I hope this info helps some of you with your issues, knowing how Vizio sets the set up out of box adds to all the issues IMO.. We have it about 1 1/2 years now i guess.. I do have a slight screen lag on stuff like baseball games I have TWC digital DVR and use the hdmi hookup.. If anyone can tell me how to adjust the lag out of the picture I would appreciate it.. George
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page