Samsung 850, 750, 650; Do they support HDMI LIp Sync? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-23-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do all or any of these models support HDMI Lip Sync?

I am purchasing an Onkyo receiver that says the auto lip sync function will only work if the TV support HDMI lip sync.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was just researching this very question myself, and I see no indication in any of the Samsung literature that it supports HDMI lipsync. But this may not be a bad thing. There is a detailed article online about HDMI lipsync at the DigitalHomeDesignLine.com site (google HDMI lipsync) that describes how the HDMI handshake lets the HDTV communicate a fixed delay for the device back to the receiver. But some of the delay is variable, dealing with video compression, and some of the delay occurs upstream in the video source, be it cable or even DVD. So apparently the manual audio delay adjustment available in many of the AV receivers is the best current solution. In some cases, HDMI lipsync delay can even make things worse. The article also provides information from studies that humans react strongly to the audio being early, but we accept a small delay in the audio. So the adjustment in the receiver does not need to be perfect, just enough to get the audio not to precede the video.

You've probably already seen this, but there is a separate thread here discussing HDMI lipsync in general. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=11030665.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page