42" 1080p Vizio vs Philips, 60Hz vs 120Hz, decision time - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's decision time for me; I've been reading through a lot of threads for several days now, and I am still trying to make up my mind as to what my first HDTV will be. I've decided I want a 42" 1080p LCD, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Vizio and Philips models available at Costco. My main reason for this is price, and their anti-reflective screens. I've visited stores and looked at them in person, and feel I would be happy with any of them HD PQ-wise. My main concerns are the features/caveats each has, and I'm hoping some of you out there can lend me a hand.

Here's why I'm considering each:

Philips
Pros: I like the no-speaker look, it's my understanding is that it can use discrete input remote codes, and I just read something about better SD in a 2007 thread.
Cons: The full-screen menu, and Issues like self-booting (off and on) and overheating.

Vizio
Pros: Price, Vizio will continue to do business in this country for a while yet, PiP and PoP might be nice.
Cons: No discrete input or on/off codes, side panel HDMI on the XVT.

60Hz - Price, and the fact that it's a fairly mature technology.

120Hz - Better set for the future, possibly less blurring, etc. Not sure about the frame interpolation modes that are usually included though.

It is my intent to continue to use this TV for quite a while into the future, and I'd like one that will last. I tend to play a lot of games on Wii and 360, watch video feeds, standard DVD's (Blu-ray & PS3 eventually) and broadcast TV.

I'm sure there are other things about these models that I may not be considering, and I'm hoping anyone who's taken the time to read through this will be able to contribute and help me make an intelligent decision.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Just bumping once.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-02-2008, 01:04 PM

Hello plagioclase,

I am in pretty much the very same boat as you (first HDTV and I recently got an Xbox 360 so I'm drooling to get away from SD).

Yesterday I just decided on the Vizio 42" 1080p XVT with the 120hz refresh rate. Now I am certainly not one to say this is the best HDTV to get in our case as this will be my first HDTV as well.

I don't have blu-ray yet but definitely plan on getting it soon also. Here is what made me decide on this tv... check out this review: http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/VIZIO_S...DTV_Review.htm This person does an excellent job explaining the difference of what the 120hz is capable of.

I'm still waiting for my TV to be delivered but sure hope my one grand will be worth it!!! Best of luck to you as well!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page