Philips 32PFL5403/98 and XBox360 - VGA connection issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2008, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Xbox360 and VGA connection visual problem

Hi - I am trying to connect my Xbox360 to the TV via the VGA port.

When I have the Xbox360 connected I select 1360 x 768 as the resolution but I notice that there is a random visual 'stutter' with the TV picture - it can last only a fraction of a second and can happen every 20 - 30 seconds. If I select other resolutions from the Xbox360 I still get the visual stutter but the frequency and timing differ but it is still present (sometimes it might be every minute but may last 1 - 2 seconds).

It happens viewing the Xbox360 start screen, when I am playing games or DVD's and when I'm streaming movies through the Xbox360.

I have connected the Xbox360 via the component cable and the picture is fine so I know it is the VGA/TV interface.

I have tried the 'Auto Adjust' feature on the TV which appears when the VGA is connected but this doesn't seem to solve the problem - I did notice that there is a 'phase adjustment' but I don't quite know if that would work seeing as the 'Auto adjust' feature didn't.

I have set up the Xbox360 to transmit at 60Hz as it stated in the manual to make sure the 'connected PC' was set to that. But this doesn't solve the visual problem which occurs.

It seems to me that the Xbox and TV are not in sync when connected via the VGA port but I can't seem to find a way around it.

Is this a known problem with this model TV and a Xbox360 connected via VGA? And is it possible to correct it?

The TV is only a week old and I don't really want to take it back as it was a replacement under a warranty when my other Philips TV broke - because it is the closest model to my old one I don't know if I would get a different model - and it may be a problem with all of this series and not just specific to this TV.

Please let me know if you require any other information.

Any help would be appreciated

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigkelleigh View Post
Xbox360 and VGA connection visual problem

Hi - I am trying to connect my Xbox360 to the TV via the VGA port.

When I have the Xbox360 connected I select 1360 x 768 as the resolution but I notice that there is a random visual 'stutter' with the TV picture - it can last only a fraction of a second and can happen every 20 - 30 seconds. If I select other resolutions from the Xbox360 I still get the visual stutter but the frequency and timing differ but it is still present (sometimes it might be every minute but may last 1 - 2 seconds).

It happens viewing the Xbox360 start screen, when I am playing games or DVD's and when I'm streaming movies through the Xbox360.

I have connected the Xbox360 via the component cable and the picture is fine so I know it is the VGA/TV interface.

I have tried the 'Auto Adjust' feature on the TV which appears when the VGA is connected but this doesn't seem to solve the problem - I did notice that there is a 'phase adjustment' but I don't quite know if that would work seeing as the 'Auto adjust' feature didn't.

I have set up the Xbox360 to transmit at 60Hz as it stated in the manual to make sure the 'connected PC' was set to that. But this doesn't solve the visual problem which occurs.

It seems to me that the Xbox and TV are not in sync when connected via the VGA port but I can't seem to find a way around it.

Is this a known problem with this model TV and a Xbox360 connected via VGA? And is it possible to correct it?

The TV is only a week old and I don't really want to take it back as it was a replacement under a warranty when my other Philips TV broke - because it is the closest model to my old one I don't know if I would get a different model - and it may be a problem with all of this series and not just specific to this TV.

Please let me know if you require any other information.

Any help would be appreciated

Many Thanks
Hi Craig

I recently got an Xbox and I also have the Philips 32PFL5403/98. I also have your display lag issue and would like to now if and how you got it resolved.

Thanks

Rico
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Rico.....

Sorry - I never actually found a way around it

I ended up using the Component Cable connection for my Xbox for that TV...

I talked to Philips and they were no help at all.......so I have a feeling that it is a particular problem with that model......

To be honest the Component connection produced a display which was just as good as the VGA.....

Sorry - but it looks like a design error or something....
post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 AM

Thanks very much Craig

Have you experienced a similar issue with any other TV's or is this problem specific to the Philips model? I noticed that you can't disable all of the screen enhancements that Philips has when the xbox is set to "optimal resolution".

It makes sense for this to be a TV-specific issue as the Xbox works fine on the other TV's I have tried it on - LG and Samsung. Are you using a new/different TV at the moment?

Thanks for the component tip - will try it and see.

Regards

Rico
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Rico........I must admit - in the end I actually gave up....

As I said - Philips were of no help to me and I got the feeling I had stumbled upon a not well known issue with this particular TV....

I just ended up using the Component connection and had no problems with it at all........and I couldn't really see any difference in the quality between that and the VGA connection....

I have since up-graded to another Philips model - but this one has the HDMI connections so I am using that....

Sorry I couldn't have been more help....

Craig
post #6 of 6 Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 AM

Thanks very much Craig

I'll have to wait for my upgrade then.

Cheers
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version