Ghosting/smearing on my Samsung LN32A450 LCD HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-14-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a Samsung LN32A450 LCD TV. For a while I've been noticing smearing on this TV. When something moves from left to right, or top to bottom, it smears-leaves a trail behind. As if the pixels aren't moving fast enough. I called Samsung and they told me to call this one Service Center and schedule an appointment. So I did and the tech came out yesterday. He messed with this special technician menu (I forgot what it's called), and did a factory reset. Afterwards he told me to check and see if the problem still persists. It did, but surprisingly he said I don't see it", and started giving me the "all TVs have problems; TVs aren't perfect" BS. Funny thing is that at first he did notice it. I guess he was just trying to do a half-a**ed job. Anyways he told me the only part in the entire TV that could cause a problem such as the problem in my TV, is the main board. I honestly have not read anywhere on the internet about this TV ghosting/smearing-although I could be wrong. What I keep reading about this TV is "you will not see ghosting with high-def images" from this one review. I have tried turning on Digital NR, but that just makes it worse. Anyways, besides this problem, when the screen is black on my TV, there's a somewhat oval shaped black spot in the upper middle part of the screen. I have been noticing this problem for months, and always thought it was my Xbox 360. Until yesterday when I noticed it on another input, when it was on dynamic. Is ghosting/smearing usually caused by a faulty main board, or can it be something else? Is anyone else having problems with ghosting/smearing on this TV (LN32A450)? And also is anyone else having problems with black spots on their screen? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Also I have attached a picture showing the black spot on my screen.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-14-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 12 Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

If your viewing the tv in "Dynamic Mode", then there's your problem. Try standard or custom picture settings and see if that helps. Otherwise i would exchange it for a different model or brand.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 PM

this effect is common in all lcd's.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Both of my LCDs have this same issue. I only see it when using HDMI though, kind of odd. Add to that, it doesn't do it all the time either. I assumed it was a common occurrence among LCD TVs.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-19-2008, 11:23 AM

There must be Samsung ln32A450 owners all over the country wondering if theyve gone insane. Clearly this is a problem of "degree" and not of whether it happens at all. ALL LCDs have response times, so theoretically they all smear within their spec. The problem here is that the degree to which it is happening is far out of spec.

I have an LN32A450.. it smears, and I consider it broken and I'm in the process of getting it fixed. ADDITIONALLY, I had a similar experience with a "tech" coming in and not doing his job. My guy showed up, I showed him the problem, he agreed there was one. Then he takes what he called a "T-com board" out of the unit and tosses in my direction for me to look at I guess(lands on carpeted floor). After this, he discovers that he's got A550 parts instead of A450. Oops. So he nervously put the T-com board back in, then proclaims that the TV is fine working properly. Since he left about 10 days ago, the problem has worsened significantly.

I've compared my TV to LN40A500, LN40A550, and LN32A330. None of them duplicate this problem. I was thinking of going to circuit city with my xbox and cod4 and trying it out with an ln32a450 to see if it's common among this model (which was so highly praised in the press).

Some random facts to compare and see if we've got the same problem.

Mine gets worse if I turn brightness down. With it cranked to 100 the screen is quite washed out but the problem noticeably diminishes.

I believe the backlight anywhere past 6 exacerbates the problem, but not as obvious as playing with brightness settings.

All HDMI inputs exhibit this problem as well as component. Maybe I'll try composite and report back.

I would be willing to exchange full serial number model number version number info with people.. is there any reason not to give that stuff out? Probably not right? Maybe email is better though I dont know. I hope you check this.

Anyway, don't go nuts. Get it FIXED. I owned a 27 inch olevia you can find now for 250 if you're lucky. It didnt have this problem. Every facet of the image was inferior to the Samsung, besides the fact that the Samsung is painting with watercolors. I know that sounds contradictory but it's true.

Good luck.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-20-2008, 09:17 AM

I have the same model and same problem. The Best Buy tech was here today and said its just a problem with LCD's but someone walking down a hallway should not create a blur/ghosting effect. I can understand fast movements but not walking.

I tried adjusting my settings so we'll see if that helps.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrofir View Post

There must be Samsung ln32A450 owners all over the country wondering if theyve gone insane. Clearly this is a problem of "degree" and not of whether it happens at all. ALL LCDs have response times, so theoretically they all smear within their spec. The problem here is that the degree to which it is happening is far out of spec.

I have an LN32A450.. it smears, and I consider it broken and I'm in the process of getting it fixed. ADDITIONALLY, I had a similar experience with a "tech" coming in and not doing his job. My guy showed up, I showed him the problem, he agreed there was one. Then he takes what he called a "T-com board" out of the unit and tosses in my direction for me to look at I guess(lands on carpeted floor). After this, he discovers that he's got A550 parts instead of A450. Oops. So he nervously put the T-com board back in, then proclaims that the TV is fine working properly. Since he left about 10 days ago, the problem has worsened significantly.

I've compared my TV to LN40A500, LN40A550, and LN32A330. None of them duplicate this problem. I was thinking of going to circuit city with my xbox and cod4 and trying it out with an ln32a450 to see if it's common among this model (which was so highly praised in the press).

Some random facts to compare and see if we've got the same problem.

Mine gets worse if I turn brightness down. With it cranked to 100 the screen is quite washed out but the problem noticeably diminishes.

I believe the backlight anywhere past 6 exacerbates the problem, but not as obvious as playing with brightness settings.

All HDMI inputs exhibit this problem as well as component. Maybe I'll try composite and report back.

I would be willing to exchange full serial number model number version number info with people.. is there any reason not to give that stuff out? Probably not right? Maybe email is better though I dont know. I hope you check this.

Anyway, don't go nuts. Get it FIXED. I owned a 27 inch olevia you can find now for 250 if you're lucky. It didnt have this problem. Every facet of the image was inferior to the Samsung, besides the fact that the Samsung is painting with watercolors. I know that sounds contradictory but it's true.

Good luck.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one with this annoying problem. On my set the smearing is terrible when I first turn on the TV. Then after a while it gets better. I too am in the process of getting my set fixed. A tech is coming to replace the mainboard in their shop. If that doesn't fix the ghosting and the black spot, then I'm entitled to a replacement TV. Thank you for your help.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 PM

I went to Circuit City, tried my xbox with the ln32a450, as well as the ln32a330 they had on display. The ln32A450 had the exact same problem, but to a slightly lesser degree than mine (friends confirmed the degree claim) .... the A330 DID NOT smear at all in the same way. Im having a tech over tomorrow to replace the mainboard.. if it performs slightly better, Im going to call it a day -- my official opinion is that this is a problem specific to this model. Hopefully the replacement parts Samsung has sent out have somehow addressed this issue.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM

well Im selling my TV to a friend that says he doesnt see it at all. Then Im using that money plus part of my Tax Refund and picking up a 50" Panny Plasma.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 02:31 PM

I have this issue with my 32 Sharp 44U set. I have heard that turning OFF the digital noise reduction setting will help this issue. I am planning on trying that tonight to see if it does in fact help.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 PM

I too am having these "Ghosting Issues". At first I thought it was an issue with just the red's. However after resetting the colors back to default it is now a ghosting and or smearing of either a white/greyish contrast or of a particular color or shade like black smearing off. Samsung sent out some contracted repair center guys and after one attempt at just a recalibration and then another where they took it to their shop and "said" they replaced the main board, the issue is still there. It is worse when the TV first turns on. Seems to get better later on the longer it is on but then stays at a certain level. The odd thing is it never did this for the first 5 months of use. It is really annoying because otherwise the TV has a great image. I am really annoyed though that the problem isn't getting fixed.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page